AoS 2 - Idoneth Deepkin Discussion

Chris Tomlin

1 hour ago, mmimzie said:

Well so maybe the cogs are countered quickly by an oppent deploying back 3" taking you outside of an average 7" charge range. The Fuethan has a nice base long range and a lower investment, but sorta sucks becuase it takes alot of your turn 3 thunder away.  Plus 1 cp onyl boost 1 unit ~3" depending on your run roll. 

I personally really like the royal court. It affects 3 units with +3 moves and  your whole army with +3" charge for 1 CP that it brings with it. If you Use your TP for the turn or more from what you buy you can make the charge and range longer.  Half tempted to run the 2nd soul scryer the 2nd 2-3" charge range bonus is good, that said it's really only a something like a 2" difference as you still ahve to be within 12".  You have those stronger rituals, and in match ups where you don't have to be affraid of your soul scryer getting sniped turn 1, you can deploy the 2nd one off the table to claim an objective later in the game.

I see! Thank you for the advice! I guess I'm leaning towards royal court in that case :). A shame there isn't much room for endless spells. It would have been nice to bring at least one.

Edited by Kugane

4 hours ago, Pompe said:

This is what I am aiming at for a tournament that is running AoS2 later this summer. I expect some rather magic heavy armies, thus I chose Ionrach as my enclave and a spellweaver as an ally. Furthermore the reroll to hit is carried by the two kings so Dom-Hain seems a bit surpurflous.

Any and all feedback is welcome.

Allegiance: Idoneth Deepkin
- Enclave: Ionrach
Vulturnos, High King of the Deep (280)
- General
Akhelian King (240)
- Artefact: Cloud of Midnight 
Isharann Tidecaster (100)
- Lore of the Deeps: Steed of Tides
Isharann Tidecaster (100)
- Lore of the Deeps: Pressure of the Deep
Spellweaver (80)
- Blows of Mystic Power
3 x Akhelian Ishlaen Guard (140)
3 x Akhelian Ishlaen Guard (140)
6 x Akhelian Morrsarr Guard (320)
6 x Akhelian Morrsarr Guard (320)
10 x Namarti Reavers (140)
10 x Namarti Reavers (140)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 40 / 400
Wounds: 122

I like it but I almost want to remove that regular King to boost the eels by another 3 and fill the rest with some endless spells. It really depends on how much endless spells end up mattering, I suppose. I'm a huge fan of the new Balewind for the extra 6" to dispel.

3 hours ago, Keggers said:

I like it but I almost want to remove that regular King to boost the eels by another 3 and fill the rest with some endless spells. It really depends on how much endless spells end up mattering, I suppose. I'm a huge fan of the new Balewind for the extra 6" to dispel.

Thanks for the input. I agree with the possible switch and an extra 3 morsarr might be the solution to the rather few bodies. The reason I brought the King is that he can act as a blocker with the Cloud of Midnight as well as a bit of a punch.

Tbh it's not clear and I'm sure will get a faq but I think the natural reading (and the only one that makes sense) is it's either one of each weapon profile or two of the sameprofile. lt refers to volleys rather than shots after all. There's nothing to indicate that it would only be 3. 

Also it's not clear if it can change firing type midway during a game?

The command ability of the kings have been changed as well from +1 attack to make the target unit or units (base king 1 unit culternous 3)  act like high tide for the turn.  Which is cool becuase if you charge turn 1 with 2 units of like 9 morrsarr. You can use a regular king to give one high tide and then use the other one as your first option to attack. Then even if you went firsti n the battle round you can still get cover. it also doesn't remove the run and charge from the turn to ability becuase it only gives you high tide for the combat phase. 

However it does remove the option for the powerful turn 3 opressive +5 attacks thing.   ALso i don't think he has to be your general. 

Teh tide caster now has a new command ability as well. Doesn't have to be general either lets you adjust tide up or down 1 at the start of any battle round. For eel list this lets you get 2 turns of cover pretty easily.  Wish i had the book on my app to see if any of the battalions have changed as well. 

ALSO WTF lol the ishlaen lost ignore rend in favor of a 6+ wound shrug. Lol very interesting developments today.

Edited by mmimzie

All those changes are pretty cool, but change Ishlaen is horrible and makes them nowhere near Morssar. Waht's worse it makes Deepkin a lot worse, as Ishlaen were amazing to shield units turn 1 or sit on objective make it hard to capture. 

2 minutes ago, DantePQ said:

All those changes are pretty cool, but change Ishlaen is horrible and makes them nowhere near Morssar. Waht's worse it makes Deepkin a lot worse, as Ishlaen were amazing to shield units turn 1 or sit on objective make it hard to capture. 

This is really upsetting 

I don’t know about you guys, but I’m going to ignore the warscrolls on the app and stick to the ones in the book. I wonder if these were old versions that got changed in play testing as the changes seem... odd. 

Bit on the fence about the changes if they really Are meant to be updates. Shame about the eels, and super glad I didn’t buy any reavers if so, but the kings command ability is arguably better, or at least more versatile. And the tidecaster is just plain broken if you can keep changing back to high tide.  

But the real kicker is I’ve only just brought the book, and this time I brought warscroll cards as well, and now they might be out of date after less than 2 months? That’s not ok. 

Edited by Azamar
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, DantePQ said:

Also that changes to Kings and Tidecaster are very much in line with AoS 2.0 mechanics and if they are true, change to Ishlaen is true as well. 

also on the bottum it says updated june 2018 so they were very recently poked at maybe??

I'd play it from the app, but i wouldn't recommend any one buy anything or sell anything based on it for a week or two. 

Edited by mmimzie

Sure it could be misprints but they could be part of big Errata who knows? 

Also Tidecaster ability is strong but its on 2+ it's one Tide higher or lower and only if Tidecaster is a general. 

Kings also have to be Generals to use CA. 

Also change to Reavers doesn't make any sense and makes Tidecaster being a General pretty bad. 

So if the changes are indeed true I see only two builds to work :

Volturns/King Morssar Spamm 

Tidecaster General Thrall spam (crazy strong with new pile in and Tidecaster ability to High Tide from turn 2)

Edited by DantePQ

24 minutes ago, Azamar said:

But the real kicker is I’ve only just brought the book, and this time I brought warscroll cards as well, and now they might be out of date after less than 2 months? That’s not ok

Can you ask if you can get a refund on them? Otherwise you might add notes to the backs of the ones that changed.

1 minute ago, Aryann said:

Maybe ishlaen were hit hard but those volturnos and tidecaster changes compensate it fully. Imho. 

not even close, both command abilities are general only (so in matched play only one particular Tidecaster could use it) and are pretty good (but they cost Command Points and Deepkin could be forced to use Inspiring Presence here and there) but Ishlaen nerf would make any battle much more difficult - also it would be hard to hide heavy Morssar builds from harm. 

6 minutes ago, DantePQ said:

not even close, both command abilities are general only (so in matched play only one particular Tidecaster could use it) and are pretty good (but they cost Command Points and Deepkin could be forced to use Inspiring Presence here and there) but Ishlaen nerf would make any battle much more difficult - also it would be hard to hide heavy Morssar builds from harm. 

The regular Akhelian King doesn't mention that he has to be your general. So you could have the Tidecaster as your general and the King to buff a big unit of Morsarr etc. 

I like the changes except for the Reavers. It just doesn't make any sense. They were questionable at best before the change. I need to believe its a mistake >.<

Edited by LegioX217

Ok missed that part with King (but still that unit need to be 12'' from the Tidecaster and once Tidecaster general is dead whole ability is useless), but still Ishlaen were the best unit in the whole battletome, as not only their ability was great - it enabled many different tactical moves and really worked wonders with Tides and cover abilities/spells. 

But I could see why it was changed (if those changes are real)  with Leviadon, Abyssal Darkness (along with Vortex for example), different mechanics with -1 to hit  and new mystic shield it was very easy to have 3+ save with re-rolls of 1 on 24-36W unit that ignores rend. 

Changes to Reavers could be just a mistake as it's a number change, but abilites are well written and make a lot of sense considering AoS 2.0 mechanics. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Baron Klatz said:

Can you ask if you can get a refund on them? Otherwise you might add notes to the backs of the ones that changed.

Maybe. Not sure how I’d go about that, but for now I’ll wait and see how this turns out.

I still wonder if these are kinda like beta warscrolls from play testing, that slipped into the app by mistake. Would explain why the kings command ability says tides of death is on page “xx” (a placeholder) as well.

the app is not, and never has been gospel. After all, grundstock thunderers have the old warscroll on the updated app and we know from the recent faqs that can’t be right. 

Should also add, we know idoneth were written to be 2.0 ready, so o doubt these changes are to bring them in line with the new edition.

Edited by Azamar