AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

6 hours ago, Ching Wing said:

Definitely bumping up to a unit of 30 dryads. Not crazy about endless spells.  A lot of people are unhappy with all the spells and realm rules anyway that they are already getting banned in tournament play. So I don’t wanna get too accustomed to using them plus I can always just move my opponents if they have them.

Endless spells seem hard to pull off effectively in a lot of cases. However, I also think they are the most likely thing to stick around in the tournament scene from the Malign Sorcery addition. Them or the realm specific artifacts. Realm artifacts seem fair since they help armies with poor artifact selection without taking away from armies with good artifact selection. I play BCR as well and I love that I can take a much better artifact now instead of my relatively weak tome options.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IndigoGirls said:

Endless spells seem hard to pull off effectively in a lot of cases. However, I also think they are the most likely thing to stick around in the tournament scene from the Malign Sorcery addition. Them or the realm specific artifacts. Realm artifacts seem fair since they help armies with poor artifact selection without taking away from armies with good artifact selection. I play BCR as well and I love that I can take a much better artifact now instead of my relatively weak tome options.

I honestly don’t mind the new realm rules as much as some people. Although I do think some of realmscape features can be ridiculous as well as some of the spells being outright broken i. e. Banishment. 

The real problem is in the core rules such as stacking command abilities, and summoning is unbalanced.  Seraphon is obscenely unbalanced right now it’s not even funny,  seraphon won the tournament I was at. He could summon a freaking bastiladon every turn, 9 units of ripperdactyles or 150 skinks in a game. So broken.

Even he said he would never run that list again bc it was stupid broken it wasn’t even fun at that point. 

Here is what I am thinking for 2000 points

Allegiance: Sylvaneth
Spirit of Durthu (380)
- General
- Trait: Legendary Fighter
- Artefact: Briarsheath 
Branchwraith (80)
- Artefact: The Silverwood Circlet 
- Deepwood Spell: Verdant Blessing
Branchwych (80)
- Artefact: Seed of Rebirth 
- Deepwood Spell: Regrowth
10 x Dryads (100)
10 x Dryads (100)
10 x Dryads (100)
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (200)
- Greatbows
- Greatbows
- Greatbows
- Greatswords
Free Spirits (120)
Heartwood Wargrove (80)
Balewind Vortex (40)
Chronomantic Cogs (60)
Umbral Spellportal (60)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 112

3 minutes ago, Mpire said:

What battalions would you recommend? I don’t know what room I’ve got to fit them in there to be honest. 

You don't fit battallions, you build around them.

Gnarlroot and Dreadwood are the most popular ones.

@Deja vu I'm having trouble quoting you're post... the list won't add but that's no big deal.

First, let me know how the Heartwood plays! I've never considered running it but am curious about how it plays.

Second, I worry about your lack of command ability spending. You have two battalions so three command points to start. You can use them through the generic rules but wouldn't a TLA add a whole lot of value? In general, I think TLA is a most for Sylvaneth lists, he offers so much utility.

Third, I worry about the number of endless spells in your list (160 pts is a lot). You only have two spells a turn with this list (assuming you don't get off balewind or cogs) and I assume you want to use both of those caster's unique spells? You don't have any plus to cast so getting off cogs and balewind may be a challenge in its own right, never mind if your opponent tries to deny.

Final thoughts, I'd consider dropping the Seed of Rebirth and going for Ranu's Lamentiri. I think you can basically throw your branchwraith in a corner with a wood and just cast the summon dryads over and over and not worry about her getting picked off. Dryads will protect her against most deep strikes and the next turn they can move to a more useful location. Then she also gets +1 to cast or +2 on her Sylvaneth spell. Why so many bow hunters? What I'm asking is what is your game plan? You are very low on damage with all the bows, if your hope is to grind out the opponent from range and hinder their ability to get to you then bows would probably be good. However, if you are looking at them to be a significant source of damage I'd look to swords or scythes personally.

Hope this helps! Let me know how the battalion works :)

2 hours ago, Mpire said:

Here’s the list I’m thinking of bringing for a local tournament at the end of the month. What do you guys think I can do to make it better? 

F604F530-229B-4E18-9012-7235E330D1D0.png

I think this list is rock solid. You certainly do NOT need to use a battalion and this list is a great example of why that's the case. My only concerns are...

1. Why take Circlet on the Branchwraith? I think that Ranu's Lamentiri is a much better alternative. That +1 to cast is huge for getting dryads out (which is why I assume you took her). The increased spell range really doesn't do much for that spell other than minor flexibility.

2. What's your game plan for the Palisade? I think it's an awesome spell but our woods (with the new rules) serve a similar purpose. Unless you are trying to use the blind effect offensively on the opponent, but I'm not sure how well that will work. It's only 30 points but you could take swords/shackles or drop the geminids for something like cogs or another 60pt spell.

Hope these help! I think the list is very solid and don't worry about the battalions. If you're interested in some of the more talked about ones just go through this thread earlier. A lot of talk around Gnarlroot and Dreadwood. Little talk on Harvestboon as well.

32 minutes ago, IndigoGirls said:

I think this list is rock solid. You certainly do NOT need to use a battalion and this list is a great example of why that's the case. My only concerns are...

1. Why take Circlet on the Branchwraith? I think that Ranu's Lamentiri is a much better alternative. That +1 to cast is huge for getting dryads out (which is why I assume you took her). The increased spell range really doesn't do much for that spell other than minor flexibility.

2. What's your game plan for the Palisade? I think it's an awesome spell but our woods (with the new rules) serve a similar purpose. Unless you are trying to use the blind effect offensively on the opponent, but I'm not sure how well that will work. It's only 30 points but you could take swords/shackles or drop the geminids for something like cogs or another 60pt spell.

Hope these help! I think the list is very solid and don't worry about the battalions. If you're interested in some of the more talked about ones just go through this thread earlier. A lot of talk around Gnarlroot and Dreadwood. Little talk on Harvestboon as well.

So the circlet was to help improve range so that I could throw woods or dryads further, but after looking at the Lamentiri I think that would be better, allowing a 4 roll for the woods and a 5 for dryads, nice. 

The palisades spell was to provide extra defense and cover for the wraith, so that I can prevent her from being alpha striked to hell, but I don’t know. Do you think that the cogs would work better overall? 

2 minutes ago, Mpire said:

The palisades spell was to provide extra defense and cover for the wraith, so that I can prevent her from being alpha striked to hell, but I don’t know. Do you think that the cogs would work better overall? 

From my few games with the wraith summoning, people just left her alone. In my games I've turtled her in a corner behind a wood where she just tries to summon every turn. Since she is covered by the wood and often has 10 dryads around her no one has gone near her. The wraith is miserable in combat and in the one game where I tried to advance her up and summon she just fell apart.

I really like the geminids and you'd have to lose that and the palisade to afford cogs so maybe not? It's tough, I see woods as accomplishing a lot of that spell. I say just give the pallisade a go.

25 minutes ago, Mpire said:

So the circlet was to help improve range so that I could throw woods or dryads further, but after looking at the Lamentiri I think that would be better, allowing a 4 roll for the woods and a 5 for dryads, nice. 

I have same experience as @IndigoGirls, people are much more concerned with your big hitters than your bwraith. I’ve played against 6 different armies and they were much more worried about alarielle charging in than a chance a unit of 10 dryads coming on.

furthermore, since you are not playing battalions I would consider dropping both of those endless spells and pick a new one that is 30 points, this will put you at 1950 and give you an extra command point, so valuable in the aos2 since you can spend them as the game progresses like if alarielle misses a 5” charge (which has happened to me) or you want to inspire your dryads so they don’t run off. Much more valuable imo than a endless spell. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IndigoGirls said:

@Deja vu I'm having trouble quoting you're post... the list won't add but that's no big deal.

First, let me know how the Heartwood plays! I've never considered running it but am curious about how it plays.

Second, I worry about your lack of command ability spending. You have two battalions so three command points to start. You can use them through the generic rules but wouldn't a TLA add a whole lot of value? In general, I think TLA is a most for Sylvaneth lists, he offers so much utility.

Third, I worry about the number of endless spells in your list (160 pts is a lot). You only have two spells a turn with this list (assuming you don't get off balewind or cogs) and I assume you want to use both of those caster's unique spells? You don't have any plus to cast so getting off cogs and balewind may be a challenge in its own right, never mind if your opponent tries to deny.

Final thoughts, I'd consider dropping the Seed of Rebirth and going for Ranu's Lamentiri. I think you can basically throw your branchwraith in a corner with a wood and just cast the summon dryads over and over and not worry about her getting picked off. Dryads will protect her against most deep strikes and the next turn they can move to a more useful location. Then she also gets +1 to cast or +2 on her Sylvaneth spell. Why so many bow hunters? What I'm asking is what is your game plan? You are very low on damage with all the bows, if your hope is to grind out the opponent from range and hinder their ability to get to you then bows would probably be good. However, if you are looking at them to be a significant source of damage I'd look to swords or scythes personally.

Hope this helps! Let me know how the battalion works :)

The main reason I picked that is because I love the hunters.  I am not stuck on bow hunters thought (I know its not all ways seen as a positive but I magnetized them.  My list is some thing I just wanted to try.  I was thinking of turtling the branch wraith in a corner behind a wyldwood with the  Bailwind Vortex.  With the circlet that is an extra 12 inches of range.  I was thinking of spamming out Wyldwood and Dryads.  I wanted to use a ton of Sylvaneth Wyldwoods to slow things down.  Then kill at range.  The only reason I picked SoD over TLA is for the Battalions.  If I didnt go with those I would have picked TLA for sure for more Trees. 

Here is attempt #2

Mortal Realm: Ulgu
Treelord Ancient (300)
- General
- Trait: Gift of Ghyran 
Branchwraith (80)
Branchwych (80)
Branchwraith (80)
- Deepwood Spell: The Dwellers Below
10 x Dryads (100)
10 x Dryads (100)
10 x Dryads (100)
- Greatbows
- Greatbows
- Greatbows
- Greatswords
- Greatswords
Balewind Vortex (40)
Umbral Spellportal (60)
Prismatic Palisade (30)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 132
 The last 30 points I could turn into another endless spell, but no other spells really are appealing to my idea. 

1 hour ago, Ching Wing said:

I have same experience as @IndigoGirls, people are much more concerned with your big hitters than your bwraith. I’ve played against 6 different armies and they were much more worried about alarielle charging in than a chance a unit of 10 dryads coming on.

furthermore, since you are not playing battalions I would consider dropping both of those endless spells and pick a new one that is 30 points, this will put you at 1950 and give you an extra command point, so valuable in the aos2 since you can spend them as the game progresses like if alarielle misses a 5” charge (which has happened to me) or you want to inspire your dryads so they don’t run off. Much more valuable imo than a endless spell. 

I'm going to try and snipe characters with endress spells now kurnoth are less good at it. 

2 hours ago, Deja vu said:

The main reason I picked that is because I love the hunters.  I am not stuck on bow hunters thought (I know its not all ways seen as a positive but I magnetized them.  My list is some thing I just wanted to try.  I was thinking of turtling the branch wraith in a corner behind a wyldwood with the  Bailwind Vortex.  With the circlet that is an extra 12 inches of range.  I was thinking of spamming out Wyldwood and Dryads.  I wanted to use a ton of Sylvaneth Wyldwoods to slow things down.  Then kill at range.  The only reason I picked SoD over TLA is for the Battalions.  If I didnt go with those I would have picked TLA for sure for more Trees. 

Here is attempt #2

Treelord Ancient (300)
- General
Branchwraith (80)
Branchwych (80)
Branchwraith (80)
10 x Dryads (100)
10 x Dryads (100)
10 x Dryads (100)
- Greatbows
- Greatbows
- Greatbows
- Greatswords
- Greatswords
Balewind Vortex (40)
Umbral Spellportal (60)
Prismatic Palisade (30)

The last 30 points I could turn into another endless spell, but no other spells really are appealing to my idea. 

I like your new version more, though you won't be able to tell me how the battalion plays! My only thought on this new list would be maybe drop the second branchwraith and use the 30 points you're floating to upgrade a dryad group to 20. That can be your main anvil. Or, break out a unit of tree revs for sneaky distractions/objective grabbing.

love the idea of turtling behind a bunch of woods and picking people off! My only conern personally is the placement rules for woods are rather restrictive making mass woods tough to pull off. Also, with the new line of sight stuff you won't be able to shoot at things that are behind woods unless the woods aren't blocking your view of them. If you really want to slow people down, I would suggest taking the soulsnare shackles! Those are also better than floating 30 pts if you don't want to drop the second wraith.

3 hours ago, Deja vu said:

Here is attempt #2

Treelord Ancient (300)
- General
Branchwraith (80)
Branchwych (80)
Branchwraith (80)
10 x Dryads (100)
10 x Dryads (100)
10 x Dryads (100)
- Greatbows
- Greatbows
- Greatbows
- Greatswords
- Greatswords
Balewind Vortex (40)
Umbral Spellportal (60)
Prismatic Palisade (30)

This list is better but, I would leave the the bows at home, as cool as they are, they suck now, hitting on a 5+, Even with 3 units of them your averaging 5-6 wounds a turn for 600 points, not worth! This can be even further reduced if you get an unlucky roll on a realmscape feature. At most take one unit if you need to pick off a model so your other units can charge something that turn. Take two sycthes instead with the 2” reach and -2 rend which is so valuable. Go 1 Gb 2 sycthe, 2 swords. 

I like the idea of bwraith on balewind but circlet plus spell portal is definitely overkill, I think ranu would be better that way your balewind won’t go to waste and make sure your blessing spell goes off. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IndigoGirls said:

What do folks think of ethereal amulet on TLA? 3+, ignore rend (can't think of a situation where he can get +1 to save anymore), re-rolling 1s. Seems like a better version of gnarled warrior.

It’s tempting for sure, bc then you can give him different command trait too. On the other hand rend of 2 or more is on very few models and a 4+ rerolling ones is still very durable. 

4 hours ago, IndigoGirls said:

What do folks think of ethereal amulet on TLA? 3+, ignore rend (can't think of a situation where he can get +1 to save anymore), re-rolling 1s. Seems like a better version of gnarled warrior.

Even better, it allows you to go durthu or a second TLA with 2+ and gnarled warrior.

• Like 1

Hi! Im new to the AoS world.  And im looking around forums to see whats up ?. The Sylvaneth looks really good model wise!

- how are the Sylvaneth doing on the market? Can they hold thier own against most armies?

- in a General Senses..how do they work on the table top? 

- What are the biggest Strenghts and weaknesses of the army? 

Cheers! 

3 hours ago, Kimbo said:

Hi! Im new to the AoS world.  And im looking around forums to see whats up ?. The Sylvaneth looks really good model wise!

- how are the Sylvaneth doing on the market? Can they hold thier own against most armies?

- in a General Senses..how do they work on the table top? 

- What are the biggest Strenghts and weaknesses of the army? 

Cheers! 

1- They are in a good position since point drop and summoning of AOS 2.0, but we still have to see how well they do on tournaments.

2-They play around wyldwoods, using them for mobility shenanigans.

3-Strengths are high mobility and table control, also high saves. Weaknesses are mortal wounds and high rend.