AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

I know @scrubyandwells already gave great input on the Dreadwood list previously posted but here is my take. I'd love feedback if folks have it!

LEADERS

Treelord Ancient (300) - General - Command Trait : Warsinger - Artefact : Lens of Refraction - Deepwood Spell : Regrowth

Alarielle the Everqueen (600) - Deepwood Spell : Regrowth

Branchwraith (80) - Artefact : Ranu's Lamentiri - Deepwood Spell : Verdant Blessing

Branchwych (80) - Artefact : Acorn of the Ages - Deepwood Spell : Regrowth/Verdant Blessing (Not sure this matters all too much)

UNITS

5 x Spite-Revenants (70)

5 x Spite-Revenants (70)

5 x Spite-Revenants (70)

5 x Spite-Revenants (70)

3 x Kurnoth Hunters (200) -Scythes

3 x Kurnoth Hunters (200) -Scythes

BATTALIONS

Outcasts (90)

Dreadwood Wargrove (90)

ENDLESS SPELLS

Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Soulsnare Shackles (20)

TOTAL: 2000/2000 | EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 2 | WOUNDS: 88

I built my version of the Dreadwood aiming at ambush as my preferred choice but with flexibility to sit back and play a more prolonged game based on match up. Plan is to have Branchwraith safely get off cogs and ideally a summon per turn. If I'm going all in on the alpha strike, Alarielle will summon Kurnoths (bows if I need damage turn 1 otherwise more melee), if I need an anvil she'll go for the Dryads (a weakness of this list). Spites are there for objectives generally speaking. I didn't really want to do Branchwych and Branchwraith but it seemed like the best way to make use of all three artifacts. I feel good about the artifacts/spells on everyone except for the TLA. His artifact is rather flexible but I thought Refraction seemed like the best bet to defend myself on turns after I go in. Other options were Oaken Armor, Doppleganger Cloak, Ignax's Scales, Ghystrike, Gryph Feather Charm, or Gildenbane. Finally, went for Soulsnare because I see it as a great answer to certain armies, the other options was Quicksilver Swords but I thought Shackles could be more oppressive. Final thought, one group of 6 Scythes or two groups of 3? 6 packs more punch but will be harder to fit in everywhere, 3's are more flexible but require multiple activations.

Edited by IndigoGirls
Grammar :|
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, IndigoGirls said:

Final thought, one group of 6 Scythes or two groups of 3? 6 packs more punch but will be harder to fit in everywhere, 3's are more flexible but require multiple activations.

For Dreadwood, I think 6 is a no-brainer.

• Like 2

Hey I hadn't noticed the new Hunters change on envoys of the everqueen: no more armywide reroll 1's? now it's measuring from the Hunters INSTEAD of from the hero.... And what are you allowed to do if you have 2 hunter units and a (one of our 2) AoE ability?

Thank you :)

On Saturday i played my first game with the list i posted here (Also first game in AoS2 and with Sylvaneth) . We both made many mistakes and forgot about half of our abilites, but all in all it was a very funny and enjoyable game.

A question came up while were playing:  Am i allowed to teleport my Treelord Ancient with the Moonstone while he´s stucked in closecombat? Does this count as retreat?  The same question appears to me with the Navigate Realmroots and the ability of the Tree Revenants ...

How do you guys transport your sylvaneth, specially your Treelords, Alarielle and the Wyldwoods?

@IndigoGirls some thoughts on your list:

• Offensively, it looks like you really pack a serious Punch, which i really like. :)
  • Alarielle gives huge flexibility, but I am just not sure if she fits in a list where you "waste" 460 Points for Dreadwood requirements. 
  • I really miss an anvil in your list. Spites are imho really flimsy for holding objectives.

Overall I am not sure, if Dreadwood + Alarielle really fit into a 2k game, but perhaps you can just really reliably alphastrike your opponent, then it could work.

4 hours ago, Atreyu said:

Am i allowed to teleport my Treelord Ancient with the Moonstone while he´s stucked in closecombat? Does this count as retreat?  The same question appears to me with the Navigate Realmroots and the ability of the Tree Revenants ...

This is from the latest FAQ:

"Q: Can I use the Navigate Realmroots ability if my unit is within 3" of an enemy unit? A: Yes, but that move does not count as a retreat"

4 hours ago, Atreyu said:

How do you guys transport your sylvaneth, specially your Treelords, Alarielle and the Wyldwoods?

I use a big plastic box with 3 layers of foam from a local shop. Bottom layer has my monsters and Alarielle's beetle, middle layer has 40 dryads, top layer has my hunters and Allarielle herself. Each model has its own little 'cubicle' that fits it so they don't move around or touch each other. 

It’s ambiguous as to whether you exclusively measure from the Kurnoths or whether you can opt to measure from them at the point of measuring (and still measure from general or any other Kurnoths as you like) - which covers a bigger area. I prefer the latter.

1 hour ago, Nico said:

It’s ambiguous as to whether you exclusively measure from the Kurnoths or whether you can opt to measure from them at the point of measuring (and still measure from general or any other Kurnoths as you like) - which covers a bigger area. I prefer the latter.

I prefer the latter too but.....It says instead right? That means either from hero or  -A-  (literally wording in faq so not from several at the same time) unit of hunters. Which is why it is a lot more restrictive.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nico said:

I agree with Aezeal, INSTEAD, that word has only one meaning to me. Measure from hunters or hero, not both. Meaning TLA command ability also took a huge hit.

Alarielle ability at least has no range restrictions, although it is a once per game. At least if you get double turned you still have it in affect.

Im surprised I’m not seeing drycha in more of people’s lists, for 280 she is a steal, as she is a horde/artillery killer does decent in combat. Besides Alarielle’s metamorphosis, she is their main way to dish out mortal wounds. Plus she just got buffed so now her flutters only wound enemy units.

I also think alarielle is a must have now in 2.0, she was already beastly but now with the summon she is essentially 200 points cheaper, (more so if summoning vanilla).  Don’t forget that she is also healing all units within 30” D3 every turn  besides the turn you summon. Healing an additional D3 herself, so 2D3 plus a regrowth spell can make her quite durable. Her spell is no joke either as it’s super helpful to finish off dying units to plant more trees, as well as bust some mortal wounds into tanky models and heroes.

• Like 1

I fail to see how it is more restrictive in the Ancient's case. The TLA command ability is an ongoing effect, you have the option to measure from the ancient or a hunter when needed.  In this case it was even buffed as the hunters only had an 8" range before.

The only way it could be restrictive is if the command ability was an immediate aoe effect. Than you would have to choose one origin for it, resulting in a smaller covered area.

I’m thinking

Alarielle (summon bows turn one.)

durthu, ghyrstrike ( make his sword 2+/2+ which is really scary)

Drycha 

branchwraith. 

30 dryads

2x5 tree rev

1x3 hunters (sycthes or swords) 

puts you 1970 enough for a cheap endless spell or possible triumph roll haven’t locked down spells, one ver blessing for sure maybe a regrowth  or reaping for drycha 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, romhi said:

I fail to see how it is more restrictive in the Ancient's case. The TLA command ability is an ongoing effect, you have the option to measure from the ancient or a hunter when needed.  In this case it was even buffed as the hunters only had an 8" range before.

The only way it could be restrictive is if the command ability was an immediate aoe effect. Than you would have to choose one origin for it, resulting in a smaller covered area.

True I didn’t think about it like that!

8 hours ago, Craze said:

@IndigoGirls some thoughts on your list:

• Offensively, it looks like you really pack a serious Punch, which i really like. :)
  • Alarielle gives huge flexibility, but I am just not sure if she fits in a list where you "waste" 460 Points for Dreadwood requirements. 
  • I really miss an anvil in your list. Spites are imho really flimsy for holding objectives.

Overall I am not sure, if Dreadwood + Alarielle really fit into a 2k game, but perhaps you can just really reliably alphastrike your opponent, then it could work.

Thank you so much for the feedback! Alarielle is included to help fix that "points waste". My thought being, with her summoning/command ability she is the most flexible (not considering points) unit in Sylvaneth. She can summon hero killers (kurnoths), anvil (20 dryads), or in certain scenarios a monster (treelord) who can score special objectives. In my mind, she helps correct some of that point waste while still being a beater.

I also miss an anvil! In games where I stand back and don't alpha Alarielle will summon that anvil for me. I thought about swapping 3 hunters for a 20 pack of Dryads but that lowers my punch. I'm on the fence as to what's better... 6 x Kurnoth to start and potentially 3 more or 20 Dryads. OR 3 x Kurnoth and 20 Dryads to start and potentially 3 more hunters or 20 more Dryads. I like option one since early turns the Spite will run at objectives and try their best not to get picked off!

Agreed, spites are too flimsy but if I'm all up in the opponents face with most of my army, I think they'll have more immediate problems then picking them off. Also if I drop 20 Dryads they can run to where they're needed turn 2.

Fitting Alarielle in was tough but she offers the army such a great level of flexibility that I felt she had to be in the list. Plus she is my hoard/chaff killer at the same time. Nevermind, 3 casts/unbinds is something I really want.

42 minutes ago, Ching Wing said:

I agree with Aezeal, INSTEAD, that word has only one meaning to me. Measure from hunters or hero, not both. Meaning TLA command ability also took a huge hit.

Alarielle ability at least has no range restrictions, although it is a once per game. At least if you get double turned you still have it in affect.

Im surprised I’m not seeing drycha in more of people’s lists, for 280 she is a steal, as she is a horde/artillery killer does decent in combat. Besides Alarielle’s metamorphosis, she is their main way to dish out mortal wounds. Plus she just got buffed so now her flutters only wound enemy units.

I also think alarielle is a must have now in 2.0, she was already beastly but now with the summon she is essentially 200 points cheaper, (more so if summoning vanilla).  Don’t forget that she is also healing all units within 30” D3 every turn  besides the turn you summon. Healing an additional D3 herself, so 2D3 plus a regrowth spell can make her quite durable. Her spell is no joke either as it’s super helpful to finish off dying units to plant more trees, as well as bust some mortal wounds into tanky models and heroes.

I think you're seeing less Drycha because Alarielle is like her but better. I see both of the models, offensively, as fitting the same role in an army. They are both hoard/chaff killers. Alarielle does this through her beetle, Drycha through her shooting. In my 2k Dreadwood list I strongly considered Drycha but felt that Alarielle would be a good enough hoard killer on her own. I felt my points were better spent on a unit of Kurnoth hunters and a Branchwych. I don't love the Branchwych but she can take an artifact, something Drycha cannot. Hunters are more resilient than Drych and over similar CC damage output. If Drycha isn't enraged (something you can't control) her CC damage is nothing notable. Finally, my fear with Drycha AND Alarielle is hoard overkill. It's possible that I'm underestimating the need for hoard killing but only time will tell. If I need more of a punch against numbers I will drop the hunters and wych for Drycha 100%. Love the model and abilities just tight on points when you're taking battalions.

22 minutes ago, IndigoGirls said:

I think you're seeing less Drycha because Alarielle is like her but better. I see both of the models, offensively, as fitting the same role in an army. They are both hoard/chaff killers. Alarielle does this through her beetle, Drycha through her shooting. In my 2k Dreadwood list I strongly considered Drycha but felt that Alarielle would be a good enough hoard killer on her own. I felt my points were better spent on a unit of Kurnoth hunters and a Branchwych. I don't love the Branchwych but she can take an artifact, something Drycha cannot. Hunters are more resilient than Drych and over similar CC damage output. If Drycha isn't enraged (something you can't control) her CC damage is nothing notable. Finally, my fear with Drycha AND Alarielle is hoard overkill. It's possible that I'm underestimating the need for hoard killing but only time will tell. If I need more of a punch against numbers I will drop the hunters and wych for Drycha 100%. Love the model and abilities just tight on points when you're taking battalions.

Yeah I understand especially if your working with battalions it’s hard to fit both in, I don’t know what is best at this point having only played a few games with new rules.  For me though I’d prefer to just summon in some hunters and take drycha since you can’t do it vice versa. Definitely want to try it either way before I make a finally decision. Gunna do an ITC this weekend with gnarlroot list and give you folks an update. 

• Like 1

One of the things that attracts me to Harvestboon is the movement.  There is an ability for +1" move (Warsinger?) for the general, I believe?  Along with the bonus from the formation.  

If you add in Cogs, a BW with the +1 to cast should be getting that off on an 8?  (speaking entirely from memory on coffee break here; and yeah not super reliable).

a +4" charge is a sneaky alpha strike.

28 minutes ago, Popisdead said:

One of the things that attracts me to Harvestboon is the movement.  There is an ability for +1" move (Warsinger?) for the general, I believe?  Along with the bonus from the formation.  

If you add in Cogs, a BW with the +1 to cast should be getting that off on an 8?  (speaking entirely from memory on coffee break here; and yeah not super reliable).

a +4" charge is a sneaky alpha strike.

Harvestboon boost to charge rolls is super nice when coupled with the cogs and warsinger. That gives you a 5" from 9" away, which is so sweet, also snake eyes are no longer a threat!

Also, I personally prefer to boost spell casting (+1 for harvestboon wraiths) to having the ability to cast more spells (gnarlroot). It means that you'll more reliably get your casts off and have to worry less about denial. From the few games of 2.0 that I've played so many spells have been shutdown by denies that otherwise would have succeeded with any boost.

I stepped away from the Harvestboon list because I really didn't want to run a horde of Dryads, otherwise it seems like a pretty sweet battalion.

Edited by IndigoGirls
  • Like 1

If you guys are looking to run Alarielle and gnarlroot I recommend taking a look at spells from shyish there are some pretty nice buffs you can give to alarielle such as immune to enemy spells, ignore rend, and -1 to Target her.  Immune to spells sounds especially nice since her weakness is mortal wounds. It is a 8 to cast though so maybe throne of vines first to help give a boost 

Food for thought. 

25 minutes ago, Ching Wing said:

If you guys are looking to run Alarielle and gnarlroot I recommend taking a look at spells from shyish there are some pretty nice buffs you can give to alarielle such as immune to enemy spells, ignore rend, and -1 to Target her.  Immune to spells sounds especially nice since her weakness is mortal wounds. It is a 8 to cast though so maybe throne of vines first to help give a boost 

Food for thought. 

I believe realms are meant to be chosen at random. Choosing which realm your army is from only guarantees artifact selection from that realm. If that is correct then it is hard to plan on playing in shyish for Alarielle and making use of those powerful spells.

Some realm spells are truly sweet though which makes an abundance of casts tempting. With a 30" deny range (and an unmodified cast) your opponent will deny a some amount less than half of their attempts. From my games so far a lot of spells have been denied on both sides of the board and a surprisingly low number of casts have gone through successfully.

32 minutes ago, IndigoGirls said:

I believe realms are meant to be chosen at random. Choosing which realm your army is from only guarantees artifact selection from that realm. If that is correct then it is hard to plan on playing in shyish for Alarielle and making use of those powerful spells.

Some realm spells are truly sweet though which makes an abundance of casts tempting. With a 30" deny range (and an unmodified cast) your opponent will deny a some amount less than half of their attempts. From my games so far a lot of spells have been denied on both sides of the board and a surprisingly low number of casts have gone through successfully.

Yeah from what I’ve heard your army is allowed to align with a realm regardless. The realm you play in is chosen at random as well as the what effect is in play. 

Yeah casting is a lot harder but even if they unbind the spell you can at least activate the wildwoods.

Guys I'm reading many post about allarielle .. What about "old" gnarloot with TLA and durthu! It seems better in aos2 cause point drop, durthu is a very good hammer, and TLA is immortal with command trait and correct artifact. You got magic power and with bwr you can free summon 10 dryads. And it's one drop! Imo too important for sylvaneth for wildwood placement!!