Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Welcome Guest!

Join us now to get access to all our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, and so, so much more. It's also quick and totally free, so what are you waiting for?

Chris Tomlin

AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Recommended Posts

36 minutes ago, Walkirriox said:

What about Thorn of vines? For a guaranteed summoning since you need a 7. I don’t think you will move her so much, so you can make her a dryad spamming turret.

I would love to but Branchwraith only gets one cast a turn (unless I use a battalion). I think there is a legitimate case for using that spell and making the branchwraith a superb unbinder during the enemies turn but as a casting buff it doesn't do any good for her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

Where do you see it? I don't see it in the pdf of the unit in the GW site/shop and I just deleted all sylvaneth scroll and re downloaded them in the AoS app... and in both his shooting is 3+ 4+.

It’s in the AoS app that was updated yesterday. A new snazzy app with more holes in it than Swiss-cheese! A rush job, if I’m honest ☹️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm thinking about a Gnarlroot list myself:

Alarielle  600

TLA 300

Wych 80

Wraith 8 0

1 x 20 dryads 200

2 x 3 hunters 400

1 x 5 tree revenants 80

Household 100

Gnarlroot 130

It's 1970 points which leaves 30 for an endless spell.

Loadout:

1 command trait and 3 artifacts and 4 spells to choose.

I'm leaning towards a pretty standard Gnarled warrior/oaken armor TLA (was just getting convinced the Briarsheath is better but that was with the option of getting +1 save with shield.... I really like to keep 2+ on him.

For the rest I'm thinking I need to go for more succes on spells.

I think getting a 2nd forest (1st will usually be in the middle or on an objective on the midline) in your own deployment zone (on an objective) is really important which gives me 2 options: and acorn OR Ranu's and Verdant blessing.

I'm thinking for the 2nd loadout on the wraith since it give a boost on the summoning spell too.

I think the wych will get reaping and circlet because that is a damage dealing combo.. I'd put the TLA in combat way easier than the wych.. but I don't think I want to drop oaken armor on him.

TLA will then get regrowth spell (has damage dealing potential in his own spell - which has been better than expected in several games.If you put down a 2 base wood in the center and cast a 2nd 1 base wood next to it you have a decent chance of getting double taps on single units due to the 3"range from the wood and some times double chances on roused by magic from the woods too (I've had it doing D3 MW 4 times on a single unit once - yes luck.. but nice).

That leaves me with a spell to choose on Alarielle: She already has excellent damage spells so I'm thinking about a back-up regrowth.. though with the regrowth being on the TLA that might be a bit overkill - on the other hand TLA is PROBABLY going to a different flank than Alarielle so she might need her own extra healing (for herself - even if just to top off the health for more damage on the table-  or a unit around her) and she might need to cast shield if out of command ability range. 

Then I have 30 points left 

 

First thoughts:

I think Household is a bit overpriced but... Gnarlroot does bring some nice stuff. 

With  Alarielle there is also no room for my beloved Drycha.

It's relatively light on Dryads but you can summon quite a lot of them potentially. I'm thinking of placing the 20 to the front so they can go to an objective and then just summon a forest next to the dryads near a backline objective followed by a unit of 10 dryads every turn - and ofcourse teleport a part of your army to the middle. 

2nd thoughts... magic misery (insert and battleline misery):

You have ton's of spells per turn... 9!!!! but in my experience it's hard to actually do that much spells and sadly shield and bolt are pretty much useless now.  Endless spells  could fill this gap.. I have 30 points left as it is... I think most mid range (40-60 point spells)  are a bit low in effect for the points.... except balewind.. the low point spells aren't that good in damage but I can see shackles or palisade being useful for board control (shielding an objective mostly). While purple sun is expensive the damage it can do seems impressive so I'd probably sooner go all in on that than on the midlevel spells.

I WOULD like a balewind for my reaping wych, making the range 12 inch is certainly nothing to sneeze at and once on it you could cast and 18"unleash spites too... which has some damage potential too I'd say. Sadly with the current unit's I can't afford it by 10 points.... 

In a gnarlroot list I could only drop Big A, 10 dryads, 3 hunters or the wraith to get points.. I'd prefer to  drop the wych but she's really a tax now.

I don't like to drop Big A or the wraith and her summoning, they both seem VERY powerful and it's a gnarlroot list so dropping tghe wraith means loosing 2 spells AND an artefact which can't be placed elsewhere which seems a bit of a waste too.

I think dropping 10 dryads, leaving only 10 is not a good idea I'd actually prefer a nice anvil of 30.

SOOO: IF I want balewind I NEED to drop the Hunters.... would that be worth it....  doubts doubts doubts...

AND SUDDENLY .... DISASTER:

I see I only have 2 battleline units...: so... I don't want to go 2x 10 dryads (will have enough 10 model dryads after summoning I want AT LEAST 1 unit of  AT LEAST 20) so I guess I'll have to delete some Hunters for 10 dryads. This leaves me 100 points for spells or units: Since this is a magic heavy list that might be nice. Purple sun AND balewind isn't and option sadly so I think I'll just go balewind, palisade and shackles. (I think palisage might be a bit annoying.. that LONG model compeltely withing 18"... soooo maybe I'll forget everything I said and drop that one and go one of the midlevel damage spells - geminids - for some damage anyway to make up for the loss of my 3 hunters )

Every mage COULD cast Balewind vortex, Soulsnare shackles, Geminids and verdurous harmony (and shield and bolt) and the army has plenty of casts to  try and dispel annoying endless spells.

Conclusion: 

The OPTIMAL Gnarlroot list is:

Alarielle  600 (regrowth)

TLA 300 (Oaken armor, gnarled warrior & regrowth)

Wych 80 (Circlet & reaping)

Wraith 80 (Ranu's & verdant blessing)

1 x 20 dryads 200

1x 10 dryads 100

1x 3 hunters (swords) 200

1 x 5 tree revenants 80

Household 100

Gnarlroot 130

Balewind vortex 40 

Soulsnare shackles 20

Geminids 40

2000 exact unless mistaken.

 

PM don't forget to bring plenty of dryads and an extra TL model.

 

So.... disagree on how optimal this is? Lets hear it.

 

btw

4 hours ago, BionicRope64 said:

*******

I have heard rumours of point changes for Sylaneth. I heard the Hunters got dropped to 200 points, and Household went up top 100, but  Garnlroot went down to 120.

*******

 

 

Gnarlroot is 130. You have plenty of points.. but still... 10 less :D

Edited by Aezeal
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mcthew said:

I'm a little cagey on these 'mistakes' as they tally with points differences in the GHB18. Reducing power on things such as Verdant Blast, means a points reduction on the model, although I can't fathom as to why. Durthu seemed fine as he was, and was worth the points no more, no less.

This is not really a nerf in the 'traditional' sense, because there's a points reduction as well. It just feels as though GW thinks that we are having too much fun playing with the Durthu model and they'd rather brick an ability on stealth. 

But will see. If it's a mistake, then great, although I'm not sure as to why there's a points reduction.

This is all little haphazard on a model that costs a lot to buy in real money, not AoS money and GW has a reputation for doing this...

🤨

BTW: IMHO Durthu was overpriced and I'd not have been surprised if he'd been dropped another 20... so I'm not really seeing it, just hope that app is wrong.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

Conclusion: 

The OPTIMAL Gnarlroot list is:

Alarielle  600 (regrowth)

TLA 300 (Oaken armor, gnarled warrior & regrowth)

Wych 80 (Circlet & reaping)

Wraith 80 (Ranu's & verdant blessing)

1 x 20 dryads 200

1x 10 dryads 100

1x 3 hunters (swords) 200

1 x 5 tree revenants 80

Household 100

Gnarlroot 130

Balewind vortex 40 

Soulsnare shackles 20

Geminids 40

2000 exact unless mistaken.

One big note and then a couple minor thoughts. Big note, it looks like you've picked all your artifacts from the Sylvaneth list, I would consider taking your one realm specific one as there are some bonkers options.

Minor thought, why sword hunters? I prefer both other weapon loadouts (personally). Have you considered dropping the 10 Dryads in favor of another unit of Tree Revs? That would allow you to take a 60 point predatory endless spell, might expand your pool of options a bit and I honestly believe the movement and sneaky nature of the revs might be a good thing given how many Dryads you can spawn over the course of a 5 turn game.

In general, I'm having a lot of trouble justifying Gnarlroot list, it just feels like total spell overkill AND it doesn't really improve the quality of your cast/unbind which is a shame.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I like the scythes on the hunters for the 2" reach.  It always feels important when they can only pile in 1" and have those bigger bases.

For durthu until it appears in the FAQ I'm going with it being a typo.  The FAQs and books are what make official changes to the battletomes.

 

I do agree on the extra spells for the gnarlroot becoming too much.  They can allow you to dispel endless spells in your hero phase to reuse or stop from hurting you.  Right now with the wargroves being so expensive a part of me is just leaning to take more guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Tizianolol said:

Guys what about durthu ? Is there a problem with his new warscroll? 

(There were some posts on the previous page about this.)

I *think* it's just a typo in the app.   There is nothing in the FAQ/errata section covering Durthu, but all of the other changes are in place.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, IndigoGirls said:

One big note and then a couple minor thoughts. Big note, it looks like you've picked all your artifacts from the Sylvaneth list, I would consider taking your one realm specific one as there are some bonkers options.

Minor thought, why sword hunters? I prefer both other weapon loadouts (personally). Have you considered dropping the 10 Dryads in favor of another unit of Tree Revs? That would allow you to take a 60 point predatory endless spell, might expand your pool of options a bit and I honestly believe the movement and sneaky nature of the revs might be a good thing given how many Dryads you can spawn over the course of a 5 turn game.

In general, I'm having a lot of trouble justifying Gnarlroot list, it just feels like total spell overkill AND it doesn't really improve the quality of your cast/unbind which is a shame.

1. Are the realm specific things only in the malign sorc book or also in the core book (don't have the latter myself)? I'll look into them but these items do stuff that is useful for casters.

2. I know most people prefer scythes. But I'll explain my choice:

First we all know scythes are only better when dealing with 2+ saves or in other cases when rerolls are involved. Swords are king against chaff. This does not include the range.

So basicly scythes for very heavy armor, swords for mid and chaff.

The rest of our army mostly is decent against chaff and mid so I can see how scythes bring something extra and in most of my list (no wargrove no alarielle) last year I'd use one of both. 

However this list has Alarielle who can break armor and a lot of spells which ignore it all together. I think I should be able to kill 15 -20 wounds of 2+ with those spells. I've not seen many armies even bringing that (mostly 3+ max and /or not all that much wounds either).

On the other hand I start with few chaff killers so that is why I picked swords.

3. I will think about getting 5 more revs.. reality is I only have 5 and drayds have never done me wrong, havent often wished to have revs instead during a game.

4. I'm not convinced gnarlroot is best (Maybe vanilla is better and I'm pretty sure dreadwood is a lot better)   but I like the idea of a magic heavy list It appeals to me so I will try it again (I did drop it after a few games in 2017). Gnarlroot is what I think sylvaneth should be. The dreadwood stuff is stuff I'd wish on my wanderers). Also I don't have any spites atm if I'm going to try dreadwood I'd have to proxy them with dryads.

 

 

Pm proxing a whole dreadwood list with wanderers might be a nice way to use wanderer models.

Edited by Aezeal
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just got my first 1k point game in.   This was mostly based on what I happen to have purchased and built.   It seemed like a well rounded enough list, and honestly I just wanted to try some new units out.     My list was:

  • TLA - Gnarled Warrior, Oaken Shield, Regrowth
  • Branchwraith - The Dwellers Below
  • Branchwych - Verdant Blessing
  • 20 Dryads
  • 5 Tree Revenants
  • 3 Kurnoth Hunters (Greatbows)

I made so pretty big strategic mistakes, and had to backpedal my plans a few times.   But beyond that, I had a few questions for more experienced players.

1.  How do you manage to get a forward Wyldwood in place?     I couldn't get one anywhere close to the objective  on my opponent's side of the board (we were playing Knife to the Heart).  While he did a good job of denying placement, but beyond that I had a hard time just getting close enough.

2.  In general, how do you push forward?   I can turtle very well, but I didn't see a good way to push forward.   I could slowly creep my Dryad blob.   Maybe i just need more damage units.

3.  Are Tree Revenants worth taking if I can only bring 5?  They seem too much of a gamble with only 5.   Either that or I am not using them properly.

4. How do I effectively use Hunters (bows or otherwise)?   I was not able to figure out good placement for my Hunters.   I tried to flank and line up shot of the tide on troops coming down the middle.   I think a better spot would have been on the objective on my side of the board.   But I might have gummed up the sight line with my Wyldwoods.    (I will probably try melee Hunters next time).

5. Any other noob tips?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Aezeal said:

1. Are the realm specific things only in the malign sorc book or also in the core book (don't have the latter myself)? I'll look into them but these items do stuff that is useful for casters.

2. I know most people prefer scythes. But I'll explain my choice:

First we all know scythes are only better when dealing with 2+ saves or in other cases when rerolls are involved. Swords are king against chaff. This does not include the range.

So basicly scythes for very heavy armor, swords for mid and chaff.

The rest of our army mostly is decent against chaff and mid so I can see how scythes bring something extra and in most of my list (no wargrove no alarielle) last year I'd use one of both. 

However this list has Alarielle who can break armor and a lot of spells which ignore it all together. I think I should be able to kill 15 -20 wounds of 2+ with those spells. I've not seen many armies even bringing that (mostly 3+ max and /or not all that much wounds either).

On the other hand I start with few chaff killers so that is why I picked swords.

3. I will think about getting 5 more revs.. reality is I only have 5 and drayds have never done me wrong, havent often wished to have revs instead during a game.

4. I'm not convinced gnarlroot is best (Maybe vanilla is better and I'm pretty sure dreadwood is a lot better)   but I like the idea of a magic heavy list It appeals to me so I will try it again (I did drop it after a few games in 2017). Gnarlroot is what I think sylvaneth should be. The dreadwood stuff is stuff I'd wish on my wanderers). Also I don't have any spites atm if I'm going to try dreadwood I'd have to proxy them with dryads.

 

 

Pm proxing a whole dreadwood list with wanderers might be a nice way to use wanderer models.

1. The realm artifacts are in the malign sorc book, I think most people will use that/I think TOs (if you're a tournament goer, will let armies make use of the magical artifacts there as you are limited to one only). I'd check it out if you can, I'm sure info exists online somewhere, just some really handy choices, though Sylvaneth has some crazy good ones to so it's not like you chose wrong :) Just a thought!

2. I've got a few things to unpack here, because I'm curious. I think Alarielle is Sylvaneth's best (or tied with Drycha) chaff killer. That beetles expected damage against mobs is off the charts, I'd need to do the math again but I'm pretty sure at full HP the expected wounds is like 12 - 16 in a single combat. For that reason I think the beefy killers that are Scythes make the army more balanced.

Either choice is fine in the end, there isn't much between them, I do really like the Scythe reach though, especially if you choose to sacrifice pile-in for re rolls.

How do you figure that you're going to do 15 - 20 wounds through spells? That's A LOT of wounds through spells, especially with the new unbind range. That doesn't feel like a realistic number to me.

3. Again, Dryads just feel like overkill if you have a branchwraith revs are an incredibly flexible unit.

4. Personally I think the two battalions to watch out for are dreadwood and harvestboon. I don't have the required spites either so I'm building towards my harvestboon idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Kelbesq said:

I just got my first 1k point game in.   This was mostly based on what I happen to have purchased and built.   It seemed like a well rounded enough list, and honestly I just wanted to try some new units out.     My list was:

  • TLA - Gnarled Warrior, Oaken Shield, Regrowth
  • Branchwraith - The Dwellers Below
  • Branchwych - Verdant Blessing
  • 20 Dryads
  • 5 Tree Revenants
  • 3 Kurnoth Hunters (Greatbows)

I made so pretty big strategic mistakes, and had to backpedal my plans a few times.   But beyond that, I had a few questions for more experienced players.

1.  How do you manage to get a forward Wyldwood in place?     I couldn't get one anywhere close to the objective  on my opponent's side of the board (we were playing Knife to the Heart).  While he did a good job of denying placement, but beyond that I had a hard time just getting close enough.

2.  In general, how do you push forward?   I can turtle very well, but I didn't see a good way to push forward.   I could slowly creep my Dryad blob.   Maybe i just need more damage units.

3.  Are Tree Revenants worth taking if I can only bring 5?  They seem too much of a gamble with only 5.   Either that or I am not using them properly.

4. How do I effectively use Hunters (bows or otherwise)?   I was not able to figure out good placement for my Hunters.   I tried to flank and line up shot of the tide on troops coming down the middle.   I think a better spot would have been on the objective on my side of the board.   But I might have gummed up the sight line with my Wyldwoods.    (I will probably try melee Hunters next time).

5. Any other noob tips?

I'm no pro but I've got a couple of ideas for you!

1. It is hard to get Wyldwoods forward. I usually accomplish that with the first one I place before the game has started. I will place it a little deeper to one side and hope to pick sides. If i get to pick I take the opposite side, if not then I have a Wyldwood in front of me when I deploy which is fine. It's hard to get advanced Wyldwoods out there, one way to do it is to load one side of the board and crack through. Then plant a forest deep on that side, hard to accomplish though. Also, some of the rules for Wyldwood placement vary (TLA stomp has different rules than Verdant Blessing) the more flexible options can sometimes sneak the forests in.

2. What army were you playing against? It is hard for most armies to push forward. I personally like to use my beefy characters and elite hunters to accomplish that with Dryads and the like gumming up the board. Tree Revs are a great sneaky unit for this same thing. Yes they aren't durable but their movement stuff allows them to get to hard to reach places and soften up enemy units. Great at hurting low wound heroes/artillery crews. This can create pressure in the back which forces your opponent to turn a little allowing you to keep the push going. Sylvaneth is a pretty cagey army (at least how I play them) so I'm usually content taking up half the board and moving in later (turn 4 or 5) to sneak that objective that seals the game for me.

3. I LOVE 5 Tree Revs. Are they going to kill stuff? Not really. Will the force your opponent to stay honest with objectives? 100%. The threat of 5 tree revs appearing and taking an objective is very real and has won me games. At 80 points they are a great flexible unit who can occasionally kill an exposed unit.

4. Hunters are just very durable elite units. I like putting bows on my objectives way back or shooting them to flank objectives. Just make sure they're in a spot to shoot every turn and don't be afraid to realmroot them to get into position. They don't do huge damage but can project that damage almost anywhere on the board (especially if you shorten to 4 x 4 in a 1k point game). Melee hunters are also great, and probably better than bows with lookout sir (debatable). Swords and Scythes are beaters who put out decent damage and have high survivability. They can gum up units, kill units, all sorts. As previously mentioned swords are better for junk units with low saves while scythes are more of your high armor kills. I prefer scythes but both have their merits.

5. Don't be afraid to get your TLA dirty. Play aggressively with him to feel out his limits/breaking point. The unit has some real bad matchups so learn what those are. I was very careful with my TLA for a long time because I didn't want to lose his Wyldwood stomp/command ability. I still never want to lose those two things but I've learned what units he can safely duke it out with. Especially with regrowth he can do some really incredible things and not die. Only other type, I personally love using my Dryads to gum up their "powerful" units. Minus 1 to hit, +1 save over 12, +1 save in cover makes them very hard to work through for some big units. If a 200 pt swarm can hold off a 400 pt model all game, that's a huge win. Even if they only do 1 wound (and they will do more with their 2 attacks each) all I care is that they provided their points worth for the game. Killing is only one way to evaluate a unit.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thinking kurnoth bows might be the summon choice for Alarielle. Get them summoned in turn one, them leave them at the back.

Finding it hard to get every unit I want into 2000. Always want some kurnoth, and there is never a vanilla treelord in my lists. Might as well go for the unit I really want.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IndigoGirls said:

1. The realm artifacts are in the malign sorc book, I think most people will use that/I think TOs (if you're a tournament goer, will let armies make use of the magical artifacts there as you are limited to one only). I'd check it out if you can, I'm sure info exists online somewhere, just some really handy choices, though Sylvaneth has some crazy good ones to so it's not like you chose wrong :) Just a thought!

2. I've got a few things to unpack here, because I'm curious. I think Alarielle is Sylvaneth's best (or tied with Drycha) chaff killer. That beetles expected damage against mobs is off the charts, I'd need to do the math again but I'm pretty sure at full HP the expected wounds is like 12 - 16 in a single combat. For that reason I think the beefy killers that are Scythes make the army more balanced.

Either choice is fine in the end, there isn't much between them, I do really like the Scythe reach though, especially if you choose to sacrifice pile-in for re rolls.

How do you figure that you're going to do 15 - 20 wounds through spells? That's A LOT of wounds through spells, especially with the new unbind range. That doesn't feel like a realistic number to me.

3. Again, Dryads just feel like overkill if you have a branchwraith revs are an incredibly flexible unit.

4. Personally I think the two battalions to watch out for are dreadwood and harvestboon. I don't have the required spites either so I'm building towards my harvestboon idea.

1. I have malign but haven't looked at that part yet.

2.  sure she's great against chaff... very good.. but her -2 rend on the main weapon AND the talon special attack make her about your best choice against armored stuff too.

Spell damage was not meant in a single turn.. but over the game... and Alarielle has a pretty decent chance to do several wounds with metamorphosis each turn and then the reaping wych with 2 damage spells, the TLA with his spell and the endless spells, and a few bolts everygame for a few more damage. I think that you'll certainly do 15-20 damage probably by turn 3 already.

3. Yes but 10 dryads just aren't 20 dryads in tarpittiness.

4. I might try harvest boon... how much is it in total points again? Forest folk isn't cheap either I seem to recall (currently no books on hand). But I'm not that convinced about it's worth yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, a74xhx said:

Thinking kurnoth bows might be the summon choice for Alarielle. Get them summoned in turn one, them leave them at the back.

Finding it hard to get every unit I want into 2000. Always want some kurnoth, and there is never a vanilla treelord in my lists. Might as well go for the unit I really want.

I'm a big fan of the three kurnoth drop from Alarielle, particularly three bows in the back turn one. They can still shoot 30 inches and thus do damage turn 1. Vanilla treelord is also a real contender as certain game modes he acts as a monster to score objectives (3 places of power). 20 Dryads is obviously no joke either but in the harvestboon list I'm cooking up I just won't need another anvil.

3 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

1. I have malign but haven't looked at that part yet.

2.  sure she's great against chaff... very good.. but her -2 rend on the main weapon AND the talon special attack make her about your best choice against armored stuff too.

Spell damage was not meant in a single turn.. but over the game... and Alarielle has a pretty decent chance to do several wounds with metamorphosis each turn and then the reaping wych with 2 damage spells, the TLA with his spell and the endless spells, and a few bolts everygame for a few more damage. I think that you'll certainly do 15-20 damage probably by turn 3 already.

3. Yes but 10 dryads just aren't 20 dryads in tarpittiness.

4. I might try harvest boon... how much is it in total points again? Forest folk isn't cheap either I seem to recall (currently no books on hand). But I'm not that convinced about it's worth yet.

Spell damage clarification makes total sense and I agree. My only fear is how circumstantial some Sylvaneth damage spells are... but yeah that's a reasonable amount of damage. Alarielle is all around great chaff or hero killer for sure.

Harvestboon runs 240. Forest folk is 140, Harvestboon is 100.

Also also I do really like your list! I happen to also like pulling things apart and considering all possibilities :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/1/2018 at 9:34 PM, Aezeal said:

Conclusion: 

The OPTIMAL Gnarlroot list is:

Alarielle  600 (regrowth)

TLA 300 (Oaken armor, gnarled warrior & regrowth)

Wych 80 (Circlet & reaping)

Wraith 80 (Ranu's & verdant blessing)

1 x 20 dryads 200

1x 10 dryads 100

1x 3 hunters (swords) 200

1 x 5 tree revenants 80

Household 100

Gnarlroot 130

Balewind vortex 40 

Soulsnare shackles 20

Geminids 40

2000 exact unless mistaken.

I get 1970. Which then gives you some room to add in 5 more Tree Revenants, at the cost of one or two of your endless spells.

The other problem I have with Gnarlroot (other than the ones pointed out in previous posts) is that once you throw in Alarielle, get battleline sorted, there isn't really any room to play with. When you say "OPTIMAL list" that make me a little sad.  I feel like Sylvaneth has  quite a few different list styles via the battalions, but that each battalion has not many options to spice them up.  We are going to see very similar lists played across the board by Sylvaneth players. 

On 7/1/2018 at 5:22 PM, IndigoGirls said:

Been playing around list building for a 2k army WITHOUT BATTALIONS.

TLA General (Regrowth, Gnarled Warrior)

Alarielle (Verdant Blessing)

Spirit of Durthu (some artifact... so many options now unsure... 6 inch bubble mortal wound protect artifact in the realm of light is tempting. +1 to hit/wound for the sword from the realm of life is also tempting. Gryph feather seems legit, so many options. Can always fall back on oaken armor)

Branchwraith (whatever spell you want, doesn't matter since I want to try and summon dryads every turn, maybe the reaping in case she gets swarmed)

Dryads x 20

Tree Revs x 5

Tree Revs x 5

Scythe Kurnoth Hunters x 3

1 Extra Command Point (to be used at some point by Alarielle or as bravery check protection on Dryads)

Endless Spell: Soulsnare Shackles

My non-battalion list looks very similar. So, trying to find a little variety, I swapped Durthu for Drycha to free up some points. Those extra 100 don't get you much (I'm looking for something bigger than more battleline). I ended up allying in some fishes.

1960: Alarielle the Everqueen (600), Branchwraith (80), 20 Dryads (200), Drycha Hamadreth (280), 3 Kurnoth Hunters (200), Treelord Ancient (300), 2x5 Tree-Revenants (160), 3 Akhelian Ishlaen Guard (140)

Giving 40 points for some spells (not got hold of that yet, so no idea what to pick).

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I havent had the time to buy the new book.
So what do we have to do to be able to summon Units?
Have been told, the Chaos factions have to do sth like cast spells (tzeench) etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't have a summoning "mechanic" per se. Allariele has a once per game non-dispellable summon: she can just bring a unit on. the choices are elsewhere in this thread but Kurnoth Hunters and a TL are the most popular.

Branchwych can summon a unit of 10 Dryads with restriction as a spell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, a74xhx said:

1960: Alarielle the Everqueen (600), Branchwraith (80), 20 Dryads (200), Drycha Hamadreth (280), 3 Kurnoth Hunters (200), Treelord Ancient (300), 2x5 Tree-Revenants (160), 3 Akhelian Ishlaen Guard (140)

Giving 40 points for some spells (not got hold of that yet, so no idea what to pick).

 

I think 40 points opens you up to a few more endless spells of value than 20. I personally like the shackles (20), balewind (40), prismatic pallisade (30), Geminids (40), and pendulum (40). Oh also quicksilver swords seems fine for 20 combined with the shackles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My list idea is as follows:

Gnarlroot Wargrove (+1 Artifact)

Household Battalion (+1 Artifact)

TLA - General, Oaken Armour, Gnarled Warrior, Verdant Blessing

Branchwraith- Treesong, Acorn of the Ages

Branchwych - Ranu's Lamenteri, Throne of Vines

Tidecaster ( Allies) - Riptide (Warscroll on builder says it adds 1 to hit rolls for units targeting affected unit in addition to the affected unit hitting at -1.

Archmage(Order Wizard 0-1) - Elemental Shield

Dryads x20

Dryads x10

Tree Revenants x5

Namarti Thralls x10

Kurnoth Hunters x3

Kurnoth Hunters x3

Pendulum

Cogs

Soulsnare Shackles

Extra casting of spells and boosts make this list scary. 6+++ fnp from the Archmage and woods for cover should be fun. Tidecaster Riptides a target and it gets focused down. Predatory spells are there to dictate the terms that you wanna fight on. Should be difficult for most to keep up especially since each Sylvaneth wizard can cast an extra spell a turn which means you can spend it on Endless Spells if each casts one of them as needed.

Could be fun, no?

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey there a friend and i want to start over again with the new edition of AOS. He has already some Idoneth Deepkin and the Nighthaunt Part of the new Box as well as a skaven army at home.

Currently i only have some Stormcast at home, but im bored of all this similar looking golden dudes. Also i had only a few games with them at the start of  the previous edition... So im searching a new army and think about starting with Sylvaneth, because i like their forest / nature theme and the models

What are the bigger advantages and drawbacks with the Sylvaneth in the second edition (I know the new edition is just a few days old, but maybe someone already tested them)? Do you guys think the army will be competitionable in the future?

The plan is to build a 1000 Points army for the beginning. What would you recommend me to bring / buy for a 1000Points army. How many Citadel Woods do i need for the beginning?

 

PS: Sorry for my bad English. Its not my native language and i only used it here and there...

Edited by Atreyu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey @Atreyu!

I think you’ll find playing a Sylvaneth army totally unique and rewarding (when things go right!)

I would recommend reading the Warhammer Community post on Sylvaneth they did in the run up to AoS 2.0. There is some good tips and insights for players new to the faction.

Other than that, the Start Collecting Set is such a good deal and is always a great way to start. You can start to flesh out the army with your particular choice of trees from there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

maybe heartwood ?  we can back 30man sqaud of dryad after death on 5+ ?

Allegiance: Sylvaneth
Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
Spirit of Durthu (380)
- General
- Trait: Gnarled Warrior 
- Artefact: Briarsheath 
Branchwych (80)
- Artefact: Lens of Refraction 
- Deepwood Spell: Regrowth
Branchwraith (80)
- Artefact: Acorn of the Ages 
- Deepwood Spell: Verdant Blessing

Battleline
30 x Dryads (270)
5 x Spite-Revenants (70)
5 x Spite-Revenants (70)

Units
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (200)
- Scythes
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (200)
- Scythes
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (200)
- Greatbows
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (200)
- Greatbows

Battalions
Heartwood Wargrove (80)
Free Spirits (120)

Total: 1950 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 3
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 122
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

16 hours ago, -Ghost- said:

My list idea is as follows:

Gnarlroot Wargrove (+1 Artifact)

Household Battalion (+1 Artifact)

TLA - General, Oaken Armour, Gnarled Warrior, Verdant Blessing

Branchwraith- Treesong, Acorn of the Ages

Branchwych - Ranu's Lamenteri, Throne of Vines

Tidecaster ( Allies) - Riptide (Warscroll on builder says it adds 1 to hit rolls for units targeting affected unit in addition to the affected unit hitting at -1.

Archmage(Order Wizard 0-1) - Elemental Shield

Dryads x20

Dryads x10

Tree Revenants x5

Namarti Thralls x10

Kurnoth Hunters x3

Kurnoth Hunters x3

Pendulum

Cogs

Soulsnare Shackles

Extra casting of spells and boosts make this list scary. 6+++ fnp from the Archmage and woods for cover should be fun. Tidecaster Riptides a target and it gets focused down. Predatory spells are there to dictate the terms that you wanna fight on. Should be difficult for most to keep up especially since each Sylvaneth wizard can cast an extra spell a turn which means you can spend it on Endless Spells if each casts one of them as needed.

Could be fun, no?

 

 

 

I like this wacky list. No idea if it's any good. Why the Namarti Thralls - what do they have Sylvaneth don't? I would have chosen the eels. You'll have to keep all your non sylvaneth  away from your woods. 

 

1 hour ago, azmarus said:

maybe heartwood ?  we can back 30man sqaud of dryad after death on 5+ ?

Allegiance: Sylvaneth
Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
Spirit of Durthu (380)
- General
- Trait: Gnarled Warrior 
- Artefact: Briarsheath 
Branchwych (80)
- Artefact: Lens of Refraction 
- Deepwood Spell: Regrowth
Branchwraith (80)
- Artefact: Acorn of the Ages 
- Deepwood Spell: Verdant Blessing

Battleline
30 x Dryads (270)
5 x Spite-Revenants (70)
5 x Spite-Revenants (70)

Units
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (200)
- Scythes
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (200)
- Scythes
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (200)
- Greatbows
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (200)
- Greatbows

Battalions
Heartwood Wargrove (80)
Free Spirits (120)

Total: 1950 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 3
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 122
 

I was having a bash at a Heartwood 2000 list too. Impossible to get Alarielle in there (1980 gets you basic heartwood and Alarielle. No battleline!).  Could manage it on a 2500, I think. Would be really nice if you could battleline Kurnoths for Heartwood.

Base tax of 200 for heartwood (80) and free spirits (120) then:

1970: Branchwraith (80), Branchwych (80), 30 Dryads (270), 12 Kurnoth Hunters (800), Spirit of Durthu (380), 2x5 Tree-Revenants (160)

1940: Branchwraith (80),  2x 20 Dryads (400), 12 Kurnoth Hunters (800), Spirit of Durthu (380), 5 Tree-Revenants (80)

Or, you could get rid of the branches (losing summoning) and go for 60 Dryads off the starting line.

1980: 3x20 Dryads (600), 12 Kurnoth Hunters (800), Spirit of Durthu (380)

2000: 2x30 Dryads (540), 12 Kurnoth Hunters (800), Spirit of Durthu (380), 5 Tree-Revenants (80)

However, I'm not sure the Heartwood bonus' are really giving much - Bravery +1 and a 1in3 chance of resurrecting a Dryad/Tree-Revenant unit. The revenants do die quickly, but those Dryads can hang around for quite a while and you need to wait until they are completely destroyed before resurrecting, which is probably fairly late in the game, especially with units of 30.

Wondering if just  free spirits as you get the extra movement, but at 120 that's quite expensive.  At least you only need 9 Kurnoths and could fit in Alarielle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×