AoS 2 - Sylvaneth Discussion

Chris Tomlin

4 hours ago, Walkirriox said:

1- They are in a good position since point drop and summoning of AOS 2.0, but we still have to see how well they do on tournaments.

2-They play around wyldwoods, using them for mobility shenanigans.

3-Strengths are high mobility and table control, also high saves. Weaknesses are mortal wounds and high rend.

Thanks! 

How would you (or anyone here) expand from a start collecting in order to reach 1k to start playing? Any help is well appriciated from whoever  ?

Any General Tactical advice you think would greatly help a new player of this faction? Would love your insights! 

Thanks! 

Edited by Kimbo

1 minute ago, Kimbo said:

Thanks! 

How would you (or anyone here) expand from a start collecting in order to reach 1k to start playing? Any help is well appriciated from whoever  ?

Any General Tactical advice you think would greatly help a new player of this faction? Would love your insights! 

Thanks! 

Wyldwoods are absolutely essential.  I think most people recommend owning between 5 and 7 citadel woods depending upon personal play style.   Many people would recommend just buying a second start collecting box and making that treelord into a spirit of durthu.  That would also ensure you have plenty of dryads.  

4 hours ago, Craze said:

One question: What exactly is the rule change to Wyldwoods and where can I read it? Thanks!

The change is in GBH18, I believe someone posted the exact change wording earlier in the forum. I believe the wording is the same as suffocating gravetide only units can't be the targets of attacks (whereas gravetide counts as cover).

15 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

Thanks! 

Thanks! 

1. It's hard to recommend where you should go for your 1k army, you have a lot of options with Syvlaneth. My suggestion would be find a unit you love the look, rules, and lore of and go from there. If that unit is Drycha or maybe kurnoth hunters, add them to your Start Collecting box and fill out points from there. Your only required purchase will be a second battleline unit. Sylvaneth can take dryads, tree revenenats, or spite revenants. All of them are legitimate choices in their own way (semi-exception, spite revs are not very impressive but they are cheap on points and can give you access to outcast and dreadwood battalions). Though it is not required to play the army you should buy a Sylvaneth Wyldwood (3 x citadel woods). I'm sure you could play the army without the woods but it would not be very enjoyable/defeats the purpose of the army.

My personal choice would be another box of dryads and drycha. That would put you 960 pts, give you a cool centerpiece character, two battleline unites, a general, and a little caster. It also requires minimal money investment (a bit more than a second start collecting box but I think drycha is a very cool model).

2. Tactics depend on who you are playing and what you are bringing to the table so it's hard to give advice here. Before you invest in the army I would strongly suggest watching some battle reports on Youtube for Sylvaneth. I would watch multiple videos so you can see the different unit choices in action.

Edited by IndigoGirls
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, IndigoGirls said:

The change is in GBH18, I believe someone posted the exact change wording earlier in the forum. I believe the wording is the same as suffocating gravetide only they can't be target by attacks (whereas gravetide counts as cover).

1. It's hard to recommend where you should go for your 1k army, you have a lot of options with Syvlaneth. My suggestion would be find a unit you love the look, rules, and lore of and go from there. If that unit is Drycha, add her to your Start Collecting box. Your only required purchase will be a second battleline unit. Sylvaneth can take dryads, tree revenenats, or spite revenants. All of them are legitimate choices in their own way (semi-exception, spite revs are not very impressive but they are cheap on points and can give you access to outcast and dreadwood battalions). Though it is not required to play the army you should buy a Sylvaneth Wyldwood (3 x citadel woods). I'm sure you could play the army without the woods but it would not be very enjoyable.

My personal choice would be another box of dryads, drycha. That would put you 960 pts, give you a cool centerpiece character, two battleline unites, a general, and a little caster. It also requires minimal money investment.

2. Tactics depend on who you are playing and what you are bringing to the table so it's hard to give advice here. Before you invest in the army I would strongly suggest watching some battle reports on Youtube for Sylvaneth. I would watch multiple videos so you can see the different unit choices in action.

Thank you for the reply! 

As the faction have quite few units i will probably own everything. 

I really love the kurnoth hunters. Can you focus a list around them to good effect? Still using other units to ofc...

@Kimbo I too love kurnoth hunters, they're a staple in many Sylvaneth lists. Buy them, love them, and rock them. My current list is using 9 kurnoth hunters, so 600 pts in hunters. If you have the start collecting and really love your kurnoth hunters, you could add on two boxes of hunters and a box of tree/spite revenants. Army would consist of...

TLA

Branchwych

10 x dryads

5 x Revenants

3 x Kurnoth Hunters

3 x Kurnoth Hunters

Hunters are really good with exception to bow hunters imo which are just okay, Ive played several games with them and was never impressed and with new rules they are even more underwhelming, 

the sycthes are my go to since they have the extra reach as well as -2 rend they can do some major damage.

I went to a tournament last weekend and summoned a free unit of bow hunters... never again will I do that haha. Summon anything other than them. It was the only game I lost and they did absolutely nothing. 

24 minutes ago, Ching Wing said:

Hunters are really good with exception to bow hunters imo which are just okay, Ive played several games with them and was never impressed and with new rules they are even more underwhelming, 

the sycthes are my go to since they have the extra reach as well as -2 rend they can do some major damage.

I went to a tournament last weekend and summoned a free unit of bow hunters... never again will I do that haha. Summon anything other than them. It was the only game I lost and they did absolutely nothing. 

Summoned free units? 

Is that a thing now? Still ned to "put away points" before the game? Or how does it work now. 

Cheers! 

12 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

Summoned free units? 

Is that a thing now? Still ned to "put away points" before the game? Or how does it work now. 

Cheers! 

The summoning is free in that you do not have to put reinforcement points aside for summonned units. The summoning comes from Alarielle who can summon a free unit from a table once per game

On 7/13/2018 at 1:23 PM, IndigoGirls said:

General question for the Dreadwood players out there, I got my first taste of a Dreadwood game yesterday and everything felt good but also like I was walking on the edge of a razor...

It is all about the alpha strike with a Durthu or 6-9 Kurnoth Hunters.  The Spite Revenants won't do much in combat.  You can use them and Drycha for some bravery shenanigans.  When I play Dreadwood I mostly just have them farting around since my Durthu, Drycha and Scyth hunters are going around smacking stuff up.

On 7/16/2018 at 7:16 AM, Keldaur said:

You don't fit battallions, you build around them.

Gnarlroot and Dreadwood are the most popular ones.

Harvest boon has great utility since they can get casting and movement boosts.  I'm a big fan of it, plus I have loads of Dryads.  Also you can really spam summon dryads with the casting bonuses on the branchwraithes.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Thalassic Monstrosity said:

What does everyone think of the different Wargroves in this edition? Which ones are the winners and which the losers? I'm seeing a lot of Gnarlroot, I've noticed.

The two getting the most love are Gnarlroot and Dreadwood, then to a lesser extent Harvestboon. All of them seem to be having success.

13 minutes ago, Popisdead said:

It is all about the alpha strike with a Durthu or 6-9 Kurnoth Hunters.  The Spite Revenants won't do much in combat.  You can use them and Drycha for some bravery shenanigans.  When I play Dreadwood I mostly just have them farting around since my Durthu, Drycha and Scyth hunters are going around smacking stuff up.

In your variant of Dreadwood are you not taking TLA? Or are you taking 6 hunters, Drycha, Durthu, TLA? 9 hunters plus the other two prohibits you from taking TLA.

1 hour ago, Ching Wing said:

Also drycha is a freaking beast, she is sylvaneths best tool for dishing out mortal wounds to people as well. 

Do you find she does that many mortal wounds? Which of her ranged weapons do you take? I've always favored the Swarm.

34 minutes ago, IndigoGirls said:

Do you find she does that many mortal wounds? Which of her ranged weapons do you take? I've always favored the Swarm.

You get to take both and choose one per round, it’s situational obviously of which one to use, if I have her real close to a bunch of small units I’m going flutterflies usually getting about 2-3 mortals per unit. So you can knock out artillery crew like that, for hordes tho the obvious choice is the swarm wounding on a 3+ I’ve had her do 20+ mortal wounds in a turn easily, especially if you are rerolling 1s. I’ll probably be using flutterflies more frequently tho now that it got buffed. 

18 minutes ago, Ching Wing said:

You get to take both and choose one per round, it’s situational obviously of which one to use, if I have her real close to a bunch of small units I’m going flutterflies usually getting about 2-3 mortals per unit. So you can knock out artillery crew like that, for hordes tho the obvious choice is the swarm wounding on a 3+ I’ve had her do 20+ mortal wounds in a turn easily, especially if you are rerolling 1s. I’ll probably be using flutterflies more frequently tho now that it got buffed. 

You are definitely playing it wrong.  She has one weapon for the entire game.

2 minutes ago, Ching Wing said:

Lmao well definitely take swarm since sylvaneth can be weak to hordes 

It's definitely a tough choice.  I think with Dreadwood flitterfuries are there better choice since you can catch nearly all your opponent's units with it on turn one.   Then they have to send someone to kill her or she's just going to do it again.  It's one of the reasons Dreadwood is so good right now.  If your opponent had a low wound count and a bunched up army you can send her in and bust out 20 mortals.  Or if a key hero isn't bubble wrapped, send in Durthu to assassinate them.

I just asked my buddy who is my go to guy on rules and he is nationally ranked #1 in the US he says you choose at the start of each round which one you will use, that’s how he has seen it played at high level play as well. 

33 minutes ago, Richelieu said:

You are definitely playing it wrong.  She has one weapon for the entire game.

Imma keep playing it like you have both and decide at start of each round

14 minutes ago, Ching Wing said:

I just asked my buddy who is my go to guy on rules and he is nationally ranked #1 in the US he says you choose at the start of each round which one you will use, that’s how he has seen it played at high level play as well. 

Imma keep playing it like you have both and decide at start of each round

He may be referring to switching between rounds of a tournament, which is up for debate, but I can tell you with absolute certainty that she can't switch from turn to turn within a single game.  

7 minutes ago, Richelieu said:

He may be referring to switching between rounds of a tournament, which is up for debate, but I can tell you with absolute certainty that she can't switch from turn to turn within a single game.  

He was very specific, you can choose each round of battle which one she will use. He has also played against the #1 ranked sylvaneth player in the US who plays it like this. Not to mention the TO for SoCal open and broadside bash(two major tournaments) agree with this as well. 

Either way I’ll be playing it like this haha I just posting this so people don’t limit themselves and on how awesome drycha is. 

14 minutes ago, Ching Wing said:

He was very specific, you can choose each round of battle which one she will use. He has also played against the #1 ranked sylvaneth player in the US who plays it like this. Not to mention the TO for SoCal open and broadside bash(two major tournaments) agree with this as well. 

Either way I’ll be playing it like this haha I just posting this so people don’t limit themselves and on how awesome drycha is. 

Well, their eminence within the community notwithstanding, they are all wrong, and if you're playing strict WYSIWYG like most tournaments, she has to be modeled with the correct weapon choice.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hey there, i want to order some foam trays for the sylvaneth. Therefore it would be great, if someone can measure the heights of Kurnoth Hunters with swords and the Tree-Revenant with banner. Im still waiting for mine to be shipped....

Well, their eminence within the community notwithstanding, they are all wrong, and if you're playing strict WYSIWYG like most tournaments, she has to be modeled with the correct weapon choice.  

My Drycha is done with both. Does that work? I admit though I hardly play her.  I just dont like the model. 

1 minute ago, Deja vu said:

My Drycha is done with both. Does that work? I admit though I hardly play her.  I just dont like the model. 

Yeah that is fine, bring her out she is awesome, Vlad nica is top rated sylvaneth player in the US and she is in all his lists.