Paying Endless Spells with points: Once per spell or per model?

AmurayiWestgate

Question

10 answers to this question

Rather than repost this question, I have a side question to this one.

If you have multiple copies of an endless spell to place on the table, can you keep casting the spell each turn, placing a new model on the table each time?

Example: I purchase the Everblaze Comet for 100 pts. I have 5 Everblaze Comet models in my case. I successfully cast Everblaze Comet each hero phase. By turn 5, there are 5 comet models on the table.

16 minutes ago, Mark Williams said:

Rather than repost this question, I have a side question to this one.

If you have multiple copies of an endless spell to place on the table, can you keep casting the spell each turn, placing a new model on the table each time?

Example: I purchase the Everblaze Comet for 100 pts. I have 5 Everblaze Comet models in my case. I successfully cast Everblaze Comet each hero phase. By turn 5, there are 5 comet models on the table.

There can only be one model(or set of models for things like Soulsnare Shackles) of a particular endless spell on the table at a time. 

To add to @Drofnum that rule stands for Per Player in Matched Play. So each player can cast the same Endless spell (provided they've individually paid the points for it) and they can both be on the table at the same time.

In open/narrative play you can generally do what you want and have as many as you have models for (the first reference to Endless Spells does use this example and mentions using two Balewind vortex in the same game at the same time for the same player). 

So in general for Matched play if you've got one box of Malign Sorcery you've got all you need model and rules wise for the Endless Spells. For open you're a bit more free, but then that's as normal for open/narrative play games where you'd wnat to confirm things with your opponent before the match. 

1 minute ago, Overread said:

To add to @Drofnum that rule stands for Per Player in Matched Play. So each player can cast the same Endless spell (provided they've individually paid the points for it) and they can both be on the table at the same time.

I dont have my book on me so I cant quote it, but i'm quite positive that you can not both have the same spell on the table.  Can you post the relevant section by chance?

@Drofnum I'm trying to find it now. Annoyingly I recall it not being in an intuitive spot in the rule books.

edit -  I know its in there but I can't find it! Its' not on the endless Spell page for either the big rule book nor the Malign sorcery book (both of which suggest you can cast as many as you have models for).  GAH GW come on now surely you can write rules a little better than this. Anyone else spotted the passage?

That's the reason that I asked the question. Common sense says you can only have one per army, per points cost, on the table. But I don't see any rules that support that. My reading of the rules is this:

1. You pay points for the endless spell. Every wizard in your army now knows the spell.

2. Each turn, one wizard in your army can attempt to cast the spell. If successfully cast, and you have a model for the spell, you place it on the board.

3. In each subsequent turn, you can repeat step 2, for a potential total of 5 copies of the spell being cast, provided you have the models to represent it.

I see no rules contradicting this. Only rules clarifying how step 1 and 2 work. There is even a blurb in the Endless Spells rules giving an example of having two vortexes on the table, and suggesting that you could cast a third vortex if you had the model for it.

@Drofnum had to ask and found it at least - its  in the "Pitched Battles" page of the big rule book and the Generals Handbook

Page 48 In generals hand book

Page 310 in Big Rule book. 

In both its the middle column first paragraph detailing Endless spells specifically. It makes mention that in this type of game you can only use 1 per army. It's "kind of" suggested in the Malign Sorcery book on the last pages where it lists the points values and unit count, but that only suggests that you could pay twice and get the spell again (which is not true as the pages referenced earlier prove). 

GH18 Page 48:

"Endless spells have Pitched Battle profiles and a points cost. By paying the spell’s points cost, all WIZARDS in the player’s army know that endless spell, and the player can use (and re-use) one endless spell model of the appropriate type in the battle. A player cannot take the same endless spell model more than once for their army, but can take any number of different endless spell models (for example, you could not take two Balewind Vortex models)."

Archived