Let's Chat Sylvaneth

scrubyandwells

37 minutes ago, Lhw said:

Congrats on the awards @HadrielCaine, liked your army when we played at Bristol. I think the swords might be a great shout as we see more hordes, too. It did cut to see @Jimbo on Twitter describe you as the 2nd best looking Sylvaneth player on the scene though...

I might be missing something, but how are you fitting the Dragonlord in? Thought we could only ally with Wanderers and SCE?

You are right about the allies I'd say unless they had different rules in the (Ironic: best sportsman with an illegal list (don't take this wrong Hadriel, you are probably a great guy to play against, got a nicely painted army and even if it was illegal on the tournament I don't doubt it wasn't intentional AND I'm not even sure the dragon made your list  much stronger)).

I was also wondering if besides the rules I'd want the dragon next game or he'd just take something else (drycha? Durthu?)

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Lhw said:

Congrats on the awards @HadrielCaine, liked your army when we played at Bristol. I think the swords might be a great shout as we see more hordes, too. It did cut to see @Jimbo on Twitter describe you as the 2nd best looking Sylvaneth player on the scene though...

I might be missing something, but how are you fitting the Dragonlord in? Thought we could only ally with Wanderers and SCE?

Oh god your right! I used warscroll builder and assumed it wouldn't let me put Sylvaneth allegiance if the list was illegal. 

That's a major blow. Good thing he died early in every game then. Except against Jimbo. But he didn't kill anything in that. I guess Drycha will be a good fit instead. 

Man thays really ******. 

50 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

You are right about the allies I'd say unless they had different rules in the (Ironic: best sportsman with an illegal list (don't take this wrong Hadriel, you are probably a great guy to play against, got a nicely painted army and even if it was illegal on the tournament I don't doubt it wasn't intentional AND I'm not even sure the dragon made your list  much stronger)).

I was also wondering if besides the rules I'd want the dragon next game or he'd just take something else (drycha? Durthu?)

I didn't think he worked very well in the list anyway. He needs buffing with command traits and artefacts. Which he couldn't get as an ally. 

He died game 1 to star soul Maces in turn 1. Game two to a mourngul. But he did tie it up for a while. But I still lost the game. Game three he bounced off Alarielle. So hopefully it didn't really affect my score particularly. 

Drycha would've been much stronger and for the same points in allies I might build a celestant prime. 

Will issue an apology on the podcast next week. 

Just now, Lhw said:

Prime sounds a great shout. Think you could fit him in to your theme well, too. He'd probably be equally pants as well!

Yeah. It'd be for the short term anyway as I mostly want dryads more kurnoth hunters and otherwise am building a full Order Draconis list. 

I might just use Orion as a Prime...

1 hour ago, Lhw said:

You can be third best! ??

17 minutes ago, Nico said:

If you want to keep using the Dragon then you can take Winterleaf with the aforementioned Dryads.

However, you'll lose out on the Hand of Glory.

Winterleaf with an Empire Gryphon might be the way to go!

I was looking to build winterleaf in the old book. Might be worth looking again.

4 hours ago, HadrielCaine said:

I didn't think he worked very well in the list anyway. He needs buffing with command traits and artefacts. Which he couldn't get as an ally. 

He died game 1 to star soul Maces in turn 1. Game two to a mourngul. But he did tie it up for a while. But I still lost the game. Game three he bounced off Alarielle. So hopefully it didn't really affect my score particularly. 

Drycha would've been much stronger and for the same points in allies I might build a celestant prime. 

I'm a fan of this Gnarlroot build with TLA, Drycha, and Loremaster. It's got:

- some long-range utility via Venator + Hand of Glory + 3 Bows

- Drycha for anti-horde + Hand of Glory option (when she's Enraged especially)

- the seemingly obligatory 30 Dryads for GH17 play 

- two x5 TreeRevs for solid utility 

- TLA per usual (could switch Briarsheath for Moonstone, which is amazing w/ Hand of Glory + Household's Discipline of the Ages)

- 3 Scythes for punch (Drycha or TLA w/ Hand of Glory provide additional punch)

- Acorn + Verdant on different models in case of snipe

- Throne of Vines for helping w/ Verdurous, Mystic Shield, and/or Unleash Spites

- 2-drop, which I suspect would still out-drop the vast majority 

IMG_1878.PNG

Here's the list I'll be trying out soon:

Allegiance: Sylvaneth

Leaders

Alarielle the Everqueen (600)

- General
- Deepwood Spell : The Dwellers Below

Drycha Hamadreth (280)

- Deepwood Spell : Regrowth

Branchwraith (80)

- Artefact : Briarsheath
- Deepwood Spell : Regrowth

Branchwraith (80)

- Artefact : Acorn of the Ages
- Deepwood Spell : Verdant Blessing

Units

5 x Spite-Revenants (80) 5 x Spite-Revenants (80) 5 x Spite-Revenants (80) 5 x Spite-Revenants (80) 30 x Dryads (270)

5 x Tree-Revenants (80)

Battalions

Dreadwood Wargrove (200) Outcasts (90)

Total: 2000/ 2000 Points
Leaders: 4/6 Battlelines: 6 (3+) Behemoths: 2/4 Artillery: 0/4

Dwellers gives a little anti horde punch if they deploy on the 12" line. I originally had 3 Bow Hunters as some long range punch, but realised I was chucking away 3 Artefacts.

Allies were another possible, but cost you the single drop army.

Drycha is too useful as with the free 9" move and another 9" move she can hit almost an entire enemy army with Flitterfuries turn 1 - really good vs 5 wound heroes. The Dryads will probably receive Mystic Shield.

19 minutes ago, Nico said:

Drycha is too useful as with the free 9" move and another 9" move she can hit almost an entire enemy army with Flitterfuries turn 1 - really good vs 5 wound heroes. The Dryads will probably receive Mystic Shield.

I will by running a test of this today with a friend who is also bringing his tourney list. I'm going with the 6 scythe hunter/drycha/treelord variation. 

2 hours ago, scrubyandwells said:

I'm a fan of this Gnarlroot build with TLA, Drycha, and Loremaster. It's got:

- some long-range utility via Venator + Hand of Glory + 3 Bows

- Drycha for anti-horde + Hand of Glory option (when she's Enraged especially)

- the seemingly obligatory 30 Dryads for GH17 play 

- two x5 TreeRevs for solid utility 

- TLA per usual (could switch Briarsheath for Moonstone, which is amazing w/ Hand of Glory + Household's Discipline of the Ages)

- 3 Scythes for punch (Drycha or TLA w/ Hand of Glory provide additional punch)

- Acorn + Verdant on different models in case of snipe

- Throne of Vines for helping w/ Verdurous, Mystic Shield, and/or Unleash Spites

- 2-drop, which I suspect would still out-drop the vast majority 

IMG_1878.PNG

Like this list. Very similar to the one I'm running to learn how to play Sylvaneth. Interesting to see if the bow hunters are worth it over another unit of Scythes?

1 hour ago, ppetford said:

Like this list. Very similar to the one I'm running to learn how to play Sylvaneth. Interesting to see if the bow hunters are worth it over another unit of Scythes?

I think they're important w/ Hand of Glory Venator for having a good shot at sniping and thus being able to play back early while still getting something done. 

3 hours ago, Walkirriox said:

Hi! I have a match tomorrow at 1500 points. Before the update I played Gnarlroot battalion list, but now with the point increase I'm not sure if it's worth it at 1,5k... What do you think about it? Any recommendations?

Thank you in advance!

Yeah I'd probably skip the Wargrove battalions at 1,500pts. Household or Forest Folk seem like solid options at that point level. 

Just recently tried this list and it worked really well.

Will be testing it again hopefully this week

Treelord Ancient  General 

Trait -  Gnarled Warrior

Artefact - Oaken Armour

Deepwood Spell - Verdant Blessing

Drycha Hamadreth

Deepwood Spell - Regrowth

Branchwych

Artefact - Silver Circlet

Deepwood Spell - Regrowth

Dryads x 30 Battleline

Tree Revenants x5 Battleline

Tree Revenants x5 Battleline

Kurnoth Hunters x6  Bows

Kurnoth Hunters x3 Scythes

Household

Gnarlroot

2000pts

Hey everyone!

I bought some Sylvaneth Boxes last year, had no time do use them so far and am currently in the middle of assembly.

So far I have:

Alarielle

Getting Started Box (16 Dryads, 1 Treelord and 1 Branchwych)   

Darkroot Wargrove Box (Drycha, 1 Treelord, 6 Hunter and 10 Revenants)

Dryad Box (16 Dryads)

I'd like to avoids magnets with my Sylvaneth so I'm unsure how I should assemble the 6 Hunters, the 2 Treelords and the 10 Revenants.

Any preverances what I should build?

Thanks in advance! :)

I would do Treelord Ancient and probably Durthu (high in points but if you get a big hit he could potentially do 36 damage in one attack!)

Kurnoths  -  Do you prefer shooting or close combat? Bows have excellent range but the scythes  are really nice in combat. Never used Swords. but will try them soon. I would do 3 Bows and 3 Scythes, that way you can try them out

I have never user spite revenants so can't really answer that

I have only been playing for 10 months so others may have better advice

Regards

Simon

2 hours ago, surly said:

Hey everyone!

I bought some Sylvaneth Boxes last year, had no time do use them so far and am currently in the middle of assembly.

So far I have:

Alarielle

Getting Started Box (16 Dryads, 1 Treelord and 1 Branchwych)   

Darkroot Wargrove Box (Drycha, 1 Treelord, 6 Hunter and 10 Revenants)

Dryad Box (16 Dryads)

I'd like to avoids magnets with my Sylvaneth so I'm unsure how I should assemble the 6 Hunters, the 2 Treelords and the 10 Revenants.

Any preverances what I should build?

Thanks in advance! :)

I would do Treelord Ancient + Spirit of Durthu +  6 hunters with scythes and  buy another box of Kurnoth hunters to assemble 3 greatbows.

You will have a ton of  lists options to explore with this setup.

Archived