Let's Chat Sylvaneth

scrubyandwells

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not convinced about it either.

How would you say multiple casts of vortex works (summon, unsummon and recast with same or different caster)? need 100 points reserve for each cast. Only need 100 points as long as only 1 is on the table? Need 2nd 100 points for a second caster?

I mean if I summoned a unit of dryads ( that spell needs to be redone btw since summoning random models for fixed points is stupid ) and they where killed and I wanted to summon more it would be obvious I'd need to pay the points again, why would this be different for the vortex?

8 hours ago, Nico said:

Not with a casting roll of 7 it's not.

Alternate take: gnarlroot Branchwytch with Throne of Vines + Rannu's lamentiri does basically the same thing and practically guarantee's everything will go off. Since the reaping only does D3 damage, Unleash spites has basically the same damage potential if you roll enough dice and throne + lamentiri adds 3-4 to the casting roll (on average) 

Step 1: Cast throne of vines which goes off on a 3+ (thanks to the lamentiri)
Step 2: Cast balewind vorex, which will (most likely) go off on 4+ (D3 from throne of vines, +1 from lamentiri) 
Step 3: Throne of vines does not allow you to move, but putting the caster on top of the balewind is a "set-up" not a move.
Step 4: since balewind doesn't count toward the cap of 2 spells per hero phase, you can now cast unleash spites. With even an average casting roll you're likely to be rolling 10+ dice (7 + D3 +1) for every unit within 18", which will do mortal wounds on 6's. 

Furthermore, I would say the lamentiri isn't even mandatory. you could also take the silverwood circlet and bump the total casting range up to a 30" bubble. Still rolling 9-10 dice.

Rise to Glory 2017

As some of you will know I attended a one day 2000point GHB event at Barnsley Models and Games today (21st May). 

I'm going to write a bit of a report of the event itself and my games. I'll also be talking about it on Episode 52 of Hard 6 podcast, out Friday 26th May. 

First up; reasons for attendance

My podcast co-host @jay6 attended the 1k event there earlier in the year (Feb?) and cleaned up! 1st place gaming and Best/coolest army. He had enjoyed himself and one day events are less high impact than full weekends. 

Furthermore Barnsley is actually my home town. Or was. I lived there from 4-18 then again after my MA before moving to London. I'd always dreamt of having such a local gaming centre. So I wanted to support them. It also fell on the same weekend as the wedding of a school friend which required me to be up north. 

At £15 a ticket including lunch and having paid for my open return on the train already what did I have to lose?

the venue: BMG is in the heart of the Victorian arcade in Barnsley which is a nice quiet location (especially on a Sunday). The store is on two floors with a shop on the ground floor and a gaming room upstairs. This space was well lit and comfortably housed 8 6x4 tables for a total of 16 players. Bathroom facilities and a kitchenette on the same level as well as very cheap refreshments (50p for cans of drink or mineral water is a welcome break from often overpriced gaming centres. Mentioning no names... but thinking about Essex)

the tables: these were a little more hit and miss. But mostly good. BMG have made a big effort to add terrain. Apparently lots of new area terrain that units fit into since the last event so it was good to see that's commitment. This was however somewhat more sparse than at other events I have attended. 

I should add that this was no issue for me personally... but may have been an issue for my opponents as it was very easy to place as many wildwoods as I wanted throughout setup and in game too. 

Lots of cool towers and swamps. One or two pieces that blocked TLoS and so on. 

Just out of personal taste I found it odd that all the realms of battle (which was almost all of the tables) were miss matched. So tiles painted differently and shuffled around the room. I sometimes pick which dice I'm using based on the tabletop as I can sometimes find it hard to differentiate if I use dark dice on a scorched earth style board and use bright yellow ones instead. Perhaps nitpicky. But it certainly slows me down as a player. Moreover the tiles weren't clipped together and slid around half an inch or so from time to time. Which possibly effected a couple of ranges (looking at you turn one shooting skyfires, I had moved towards him so it's impossible to say based on deployment zones). 

I really liked the water effects that had been used on quite a lot of the terrain features and wish I'd bought some for my forest dragon. 

The Games:

1hr40min rounds. (This was not adequate. 2hrs is the minimum I would expect for 2k)

Game 1: Gifts from the Heavens.

Vs Disciples of Tzeentch. Matt B. Major Loss. 

Matt had a stunning Tzeentch army with lots of horrors, 20 tzaangor, 2x 6 skyfires, 2 shamans and a Big bird.

I should've given him turn 1  I didn't and immediately regretted it. I flung everything forwards hoping to nuke his point scoring units and stop him coming across to my side  I fluffed my shooting and failed my Kurnoth Hunter and Durthu charges  I was super exposed and got punished with magic and shooting.

In turns 2-3 the Sword hunters made a mess of the big block of Tzaangor (is there anything they don't kill?!) and I managed to get myself into a position where I could've maybe got a draw on scenario (I'd have lost minor on KPs I thought, but looking back I wasn't all that far away, we'll never know)...

but I totally failed to kill two final skyfires to claim my home objective (it came down dead centre in easy reach for Tzeentch disappointingly) 

I really fell foul of the time in this game but Matt was a very good Tzeentch player and a fun opponent... I had a bit of a feeling that my Sunday might be scuppered!  

Game 2: Border War. 
Vs Dan. Order: High Elves.

Dan had a Lothern Seaguard themed list which I dangerously underestimated in deployment and T1 tactics...
2x20 Seaguard, 3x5 Reavers, 2 Seahelms, Dragon Mage (the good one) Archmage, Loremaster, 2x bolt throwers.

I elected to take first turn and zipped across the board with almost everything. Sisters of the thorn capping the objective on my left flank and tree revenants running (6) to the right. Spirit of Durthu, TLA and sword hunters up the middle into my Central wildwood. Branchwych playing sweeper. 

I plinked a few wounds off the dragon with Kurnoths (greatbows have been really underperforming for me lately,  think I'd rather get stuck in with scythes...), SoD shot off the Sea Helm (general!), Greatword Kurnoths rolled a 6 for navigate realm roots and had an easy charge into Seaguard, killing 10. The dragon Mage activated quicksilver potion and killed out a unit of plucky tree revenants (I regretted wasting them immediately). 

As the game went on Dan was extremely unlucky not to shoot off the TLA but did shoot off the Swords in one round. I popped the dragon with Durthu and the remainingtree revenants long-charged along the back line to deal with the pesky bolt throwers. Dan was also unlucky that his second unit of Seaguard were subject to mystical terrain when he got turn priority. 

His moment of genius came in turn 3. I won priority. Healed the TLA back. Smashed his centre and 14/15 Reavers. He retreated the final one onto my home objective. Leaving our score 15 all at the end of the time (again 1hr40 is not enough). I won significantly on Kill points and recorded a minor win. If we'd had round 4 I would have majored. It was very cinematic with loads happening in every phase for both armies and lots of rerolls. I could have played tighter but early risks did pay off so I'm content. 

Game 3: Take and Hold. 

Vs Ironjawz. Steve (who I believe is the manager of Leeds GW) again this was a beautiful army. Exceptional freehand.

Major win.

Steve was running: Gordrakk, 3x Gor Gruntas, 3x Gor Gruntas, 6x Gor Gruntas, 3x Warchanters and a wierdnob. There was a battalion that made all bar one unit of pigs one drop (Gorefist?!)

This table probably had the sparsest terrain. 

I put a 3 template wildwood in the centre. My opponent wasn't happy about that, he wasn't aware of the FAQ I suppose. But I felt bad, it was genuinely the first time I'd been able to place it in 40+ games. I've talked before about how I don't think Wild woods are the be all and end all for Sylvaneth. 

Anyway. I got Durthu 9" away and the sword hunters too (out of cover it has to be said or they'd have been on 2+ as I shielded them) I had failed shield of thorns too so the big D was pretty vulnerable (ok 12 wounds with 2+ save). I plinked 5 wounds or so from Gordrakk from shooting and using awakening in the woods (he deployed super far forwards). His turn 1 he surged across the board about 40 inches and got almost all of his charges off (3 pigs rolled too low). Durthu took 5 wounds to impact hits from Gordrakk and I did a few back. The 9 gruntas that made it in bounced resoundingly off my Kurnoth hunters and I killed a couple back. 

Biggest dice roll of the game was priority turn 2. Which I won. I cast all 5 of my spells and the wildwood (containing godrakk) stirred 4/5 times and I rolled high... I mortal wounded off two pigs and the rest of Gordrakk... I'd also Regrowth'd Durthu back to full wounds and redirected my only dead model (bow hunter). 

At this point my opponent shook shook my hand and gave me the major. I'm not certain it was a forgone conclusion and I think he hadn't enjoyed his earlier games either. 

But I was gutted he was a nice guy with a cool army. It also meant I had almost the whole round left to twiddle my thumbs. 

I spoke to him after the game and he said that, for him, AoS has too much refilling shenanigans and he thought the Wildwoods were bent. 

Wildwoods are good. Certainly. But any different comp on them wouldn't have affected the outcome if the dice were the same:

If I'd deployed 1 template Durthu would still have been in it and Gordrakk would still have charged him and I'd have still cast those spells within range. So the mortal wound output would've been identical. I did roll well but equally Durthu and the hunters didn't charge T1, where I'd have really made a mess before taking wounds.

The other complaint was that the woods prevented lots of his movement. Well. Not really. With destruction and the Gor Gruntas move and the Gordrakk command ability (3d6 charge once per game) he didn't need to come through the wildwood with units as he easily skirted it to where he needed to be and Gordrakk as both HERO and MONSTER is unaffected. 

I hope I don't come across badly there. I played the game on the table and he didn't need to throw an expensive character into that situation. He had a cool fluffy army and made a mistake. But I was sad not to play a full game. 

I guess I've finally seen how painful Sylvaneth can be if everything goes off (and your opponent isn't spamming mortal wounds). 

I managed to watch a few other games as it unfolded in round 3 which was cool. Especially seeing Kharadron Overlords on the table and doing well. 

I had a good ling chat with a bloke called Chris about his death army (lovely classic models, 1990s Vlad and Isabella etc)

The scene seemed to be really buzzing in Barnsley with lots of people trying new stuff since the previous event so that was great to see. 

I'll put names to results on the podcast as they haven't been published yet as far as I can see. 

However...

I came away in 4th place AND...

Best Painted Army! Which I'm so chuffed with as I've had a lot of runner up trophies in the last year and my last win was with Wanderers. So this is my first win with Sylvaneth. Which is a sigh of relief really as they're definitely the best I've done to date and were hard work but perform consistently less well than my older armies!

I'll put some pictures up in my army blog in this subforum. But they're also on my twitter @HadrielCaine

Massive thanks to the organisers for a fun day. (Even if I did only get to play 8 turns ;) )

Thanks as well to all three of my opponents. 

Oh and biggest thanks to my mum for roast beef and Yorkshire puddings before I got my train back to 'that' London. 

A. 

Hey @HadrielCaine cheers for that recap! Well definitely try to get to the next one! A couple of questions; What was the rest of the field like there? What was the confusion about the 3 base Wyldwood? And how did you feel the 3x5 Tree Revenants performed? Looking forward to listening to the Podcast, so if you've answered these on there my apologies!

His moment of genius came in turn 3. I won priority. Healed the TLA back. Smashed his centre and 14/15 Reavers. He retreated the final one onto my home objective. Leaving our score 15 all at the end of the time (again 1hr40 is not enough). I won significantly on Kill points and recorded a minor win. If we'd had round 4 I would have majored. It was very cinematic with loads happening in every phase for both armies and lots of rerolls. I could have played tighter but early risks did pay off so I'm content. 

Retreating onto objectives is a big part of the game!

I spoke to him after the game and he said that, for him, AoS has too much refilling shenanigans and he thought the Wildwoods were bent. 

He has taken a very fluffy army there, so cannot really complain about being beaten. I suppose Ironjawz don't have any tricks other than being faster than you might expect. They are one of the worst match ups against Sylvaneth.

Usually I can place about  1 x forest wood and maybe 1-2 x 1-2 forest woods max.. often not even a full 3 forest wood to start with.. Sylvaneth needs the woods and I don't think we are overpowered with them.

In my last game with the list I mentioned above I played terribly (but won due to luck).

My listAlarielle, TLA (gnarled-armour, regrowth), 2x3 hunters (swords and scythes), 3 treekin, 50 dryads in 3 units.

My opponent brought a hellcannon, demon prince, 2 chaos sorcs, a banner bearer/totem guy, a general on manticore a unit of 20 chaos warriors, 10 chosen, 2 units of 5 marauder horsement with javalins. His abilities meant he had a lot of rerolls (between sorc spells, sorc ability, some command ability etc)

We played Gift from heavens.

The hellcannon (2 attacks, hitting on 2+ and then directly D6 wounds on a long range) IS expensive however it's damage output frightened me a lot. I also know from a previous game it's not bad in combat (it'll kill 5 revenants). This unit made me make bad choices since I had not good plan for it.

T1: So turn 1 my terrible decisions started: I chose to go first hoping to deal with the cannon. My whole army moved forward.  (Of course this was my first game without bowhunters so they couldn't shoot the cannon). I decided Allarielle would have to do the job. She was on the same flank as the cannon and moved his way. She then tried to shoot the crew (missed) they cannon was not in range for magic at this time.

T1: My opponent then shot at Alarielle (1 shot missed, the other 2 damage). And moved his warrior nearly between Alarielle and the cannon. Also his Manticore moved to this flank (certainly a charge on A next turn) and the daemon prince too (likely a charge next turn). There was also a unit of 5 hosemen on the flank already and they positond themself directly between A and the cannon. (5 other horsemen, 6 chosen and a sorc where on the otherside of the table).

T2: I won the initiative roll. My objective came in the middle, right in a piece of terrain with 20 dryads: nice for me. I forgot to heal the wounds on A. She failed to cast mystic shield (also failed to cast it first turn btw.) Despite the strong opposition on that side I still had no better idea to deal with the cannon and I decided Alarielle HAD to do her job. Alarielle didn't have the cannon in range of her spells. I moved slightly towards my opponent, 3"from his horsemen (still not sure if I'd charge them at that time). Alarielle shot at the crew again and missed again (actually failed to wound). Most of my army moved up again. She also charged the horsemen and killed them..barely.. (bad rolls).

T2: His objective came down on the far left, the flank where he didn't have a lot of troops.

My opponent decided that 20 warrior, the cannon and the manticore should be able to kill Alarielle (which is a good assumption and I was stupid to leave her there). He moved the daemon prince to intercept a unit of 20 dryads. He moved a bit and had 3" charges on A with warriors and a 4" with the manticore. He shot her with the cannon for 2 hits but only 4 wounds (very bad rolls for him). Then he failed the charge with the general (rolled 3). But succeeded with the warriors. Them warriors had tons of reroll due to spells and abilities. I think he rolled avarage and put a solid 12 wounds on her I think (no mystic shield and no RR 1's since slightly out of range of my closest hunters).  He also did a long charge with the daemon prince and got behind the unit of dryads and killed a few and got maybe 1 wound on him.

T3: I won roll again. Alarielle healed 6. 3 and 2 wounds. My opponent was furious (if he had rolled better on the cannon OR on the general charge last turn he would have killed her already, ALSO at this moment he recalled he SHOULD have rerolled the charge on the general since he was in range of the totem.) I then had to decide what to do with her. She (I) cast metamorphosis.... on the cannon.. not the crew.. ( why? good question: it had to do somethign with the fear of it's close combat abilities with Alarielle near and the sense it would be overkill on the crew. She succeeded mystic shield and then cast a bolt at the cannon too but I eitehr miscast or did little damage.  Since magic hadn't killed the cannon yet (it had 4 wounds at this moment) I decided to shoot the crew... and did only 1 wound. 

In the mean while I'd moved 3 treekin,  10 dryads and the TLA on the left flank still in the wyldwood I'd placed slightly off centre on the left in the middle towards his objective (and the 10 chosen, sorc and 5 horsemen). I also killed 2 chosen with TLA shooting.

I moved 3  hunters to charge the daemon prince but they failed the charge (had to move around the dryads. Then I decided I'd also charge him with the 20 dryads which where on the objective (I'd moved them so a few remained in 6"). He killed more of those.

T3: My opponent Charged 3 treekin with 7 chosen .. and lost 3 due to 1's in the wyldwood. He wasn't happy with that either. His next charge with manticore succeeded and the warriors, hellcanon shooting and manticore had her on 1 wound remaining (her damage table is PRETTY terrible, damage output drops off steeply I noticed.. 5 damage 1 attacks (this was after the manticore attacked I think) was NOT impressive). And even though that meant he did 13 or 14 wounds in 1 turn against here with a 2+ save he would/should have killed her easily. In melee his daemon prince (fighting what once was 40 dryads killed some more and got a few more wounds.

T4: My opponent conceded. Yes, he probably would have killed Alarielle easily (if he didn't roll terrible again) this turn. But he would never be able to take my objective (his Daemon prince was close to dying) in the last 2 turns (still ~30 dryads and 6 hunters near it), the majority of his troops where on the wrong side (right) of the table where they fought alarielle and on the left side I would AT LEAST contest his objective this turn or the next (with my 10 dryads) meaning he'd loose out on the points for at least 1 turn if I didn't get the points myself so he would never win on points.

During the game he was angry at Alarielle but after the game he admitted it wasn't really her but his bad rolls (hellcannon damage several turn, charge with general, forgetting the reroll on that charge, damage in combat turn 3, me healing a lot turn 3, loosing 3 chosen in the wyldwood)that made he couldn't take advantage of my terrible decisions (his words but I agree totally).

In most games even the ones I loose I can't really see terrible decisions on my side but this game I did a lot wrong and won through shear luck.

1. If the report is unclear and you need more info: please ask.

2. What SHOULD I do with that hell cannon next game.

--> With the list I had I FELT Alarielle was the only option to kill it early but obviously moving her there was a terrible risk, she should have been killed 3 times over, the first time in turn 2.

--> However just LEAVING the cannon shooting at will seems like it would have dealt massive damage to my army.

Hello guys,

I could need some help/advice.

I'm going to participate in a league my friends are going to start.

The problem is, I'm still rather new to the game and all the lists I've look at till now, seem rather hard.

Going from 9-12 skyfires, to 30 bloodletter sayl bombs and so on.

I really dont have an idea what I could field at 1k points, that would be able to compete with those lists.

I've been thinking about some bow Hunters, but they seem rather underwhelming compared skyfires.

Do you guys have any ideas?

Thanks. :)

35 minutes ago, Mune said:

Hello guys,

I could need some help/advice.

I'm going to participate in a league my friends are going to start.

The problem is, I'm still rather new to the game and all the lists I've look at till now, seem rather hard.

Going from 9-12 skyfires, to 30 bloodletter sayl bombs and so on.

I really dont have an idea what I could field at 1k points, that would be able to compete with those lists.

I've been thinking about some bow Hunters, but they seem rather underwhelming compared skyfires.

Do you guys have any ideas?

Thanks. :)

I don't think bow hunters are that much worse than skyfires. Can they put 12 skyfires on the table in 1000 points? 

I'm not sure a single list of Sylvaneth can counter everything. Would a freespirit list with melee hunters be able to catch skyfires before they can to too much damage?

I went to a local 1k tournament yesterday, rocking the Gnarlroot list I asked about here.

The list:

Allegiance: Sylvaneth
Branchwych (100)
- Artefact: Acorn of the Ages 
- Deepwood Spell: The Reaping
Treelord Ancient (300)
- General
- Trait: Gnarled Warrior 
- Artefact: Briarsheath 
- Deepwood Spell: Regrowth
Loremaster (100)
10 x Dryads (120)
5 x Tree-Revenants (100)
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (180)
- Greatbows
Household (20)
Gnarlroot Wargrove (80)
Sylvaneth Wyldwood - Sylvaneth Allegiance (0)

Total: 1000/1000

The tournament:

We played three rounds with two and a half hours per round. Prizes were 100€ credit towards GW store orders (barring web-exclusives), two copies of Blood Bowl Starter boxes, two copies of Dawn of War 3 from a local game store and 40€ from the LGS the tournament took place in. Out of the twelve people registered, we had eight players show up, mostly due to health.

The tables:

We used a bunch of community terrain, with three out of four tables fairly evenly filled, and one table going for a fields and farmlands theme being really filled up. Players voted to not use scenery rules other than LoS blocking and cover to keep things simpler, as many players only recently tried AoS out, coming from X-Wing, 40k, WHFB and 9th Age.

The games: 

Round 1:

The battleplan was Take and Hold, and I was up against an almost-but-not-quite Kunning Rukk player. He had 20 arrowboys, one thundertusk, two units of three ogors, a unit of boarboyz, a savage orruk big boss and no battalions. The table we played on was the worst one, with lots of wheatfields, blocking me from using my wyldwoods effectively. I dropped my list in a single drop, made the mistake of going first, spinning my wheels on the first turn. His first turn was similar, using his destruction move and running with almost everything, charged my Tree-Revenants and . I won initiative on turn two, shot some boyz, got my TLA to his side of the board, and failing every casting roll I tried. He moved his guys toward me, and arrowboys back toward my TLA, who took a massive two wounds from their shooting. Turn three, he got initiative, moved in for the major victory, snowballing my Loremaster to takes control of the objective and the major victory, only to be thwarted by a lone dryad being in range. He then tried to take out the dryads with his boarboyz, killing 3, but losing one model in return. In my turn, I brought back two dryads, killed of most of his boarboys, took his arrowboys to under ten, starting to turn the game around, only to lose to running out of time and having less kill points. Not sure if you're supposed to be able to play out the remainder of the turn, in which case I would've been able to take a minor victory from taking out another ogor and clearing out the arrowboys. No hard feelings though, the game was a blast and we could've played it faster. I didn't leverage my TLA enough, and played too cautiously, while my opponent didn't snowball my TLA even once.

Round 2: 

Blood and Glory against Brayherds. Again, first time playing against them, so I was cautious. I don't know exactly what he had, aside from a horde of goats. The table was more open, allowing me to put down my woods rather freely. I deployed in a single drop, telling my opponent what each unti could do, to some deserved groans. I deployed wide, wanting to navigate my TLA to my free wyldwood while my opponent deployed heavily to one side, opting to drop one unit on my right side to hold the objective there. I let him have the first turn and he ran to the mid-line with almost everything, leaving the single unit to camp the objective. In my turn, I dropped another wyldwood, TLA got the the other wyldwood just fine, and my other units shuffled around a bit to get into position for a larger teleport the next turn. TLA shooting took out a few models, and that was it. He won initiative the next turn, tried to put the hurt on my TLA, got a couple of wounds on it, but suffered heavy losses for his trouble. In my turn, I got my hunters teleported, ran up the board with dryads and my branchwych. Hunters dealt low damage with their shots, and the TLA went to work again. He won initiative again, dealt a couple of mortal wounds with arcane bolt, charged his general into my TLA, moved his unit away from the objective away to engage my wych and dryads, losing the unit in the process and moved a second blob of battleline into my TLA, getting punished for his trouble yet again. In my turn, the hunters rolled very well, killing his general in a single round of shooting. His army fell apart, and I took the major in my fourth turn.

Round 3:

Border War against Duardin. Hoooo boy. This one I didn't enjoy. My most played opponent run a Disposessed list that I have never beat, mostly by losing out to his skill in deployment and movement, with an emphasis on buffed thunderers. My opponent, however, had a big unit of Vulkites Berserkers, an Unforged, Longbeards, Ironbreakers and a Warden King modelled as a queen. The table was set up in such a way that I put my free wyldwood down between two objectives that ended up being the left side and in my opponents deployment objective. I got to choose sides, opting to leave that wyldwood on my opponents side, dropped my army, had him go first, dropped my wyldwood in a similar fashion between the other two objectives, ported my TLA to the left side objective, moved another unit to the right side, took 5 victory points, and my opponent had no answer to that. We ended up finishing the game, but it took me three turns just to kill the Warden Queen, tabling him in the fifth round without losing a single model. After the game, he was even nice enough to give me the Citadel Wood I borrowed from him for the tournament and he took the nonsense I pulled on the table in stride, even roleplaying the Longbeards grumbling about how in the old days, everyone was on square bases, and how base edges used to be green for everyone. Very cool guy.

Conclusion:

My second round opponent took third place and got store credit, I took second for the Blood Bowl starter and Dawn of War 3, and first place was a Death list that ran a Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon that tabled all of his opponents. 

I'm fairly happy with my list, even if it has two big flaws in magic reliance and low model count. Household stopping enemy models from retreating came up in every game, TLA did most of the heavy lifting, Hunters helped out either a tiny bit or straight up murdered things, Dryads held the line as they tend to do, Tree-Revenants were mostly just a threat that died quickly and the Branchwych planted trees and didn't really do a whole lot after that most of the time. I still need to work on my Loremaster placement, so he can stay relevant after the TLA teleports away. 

I had fun playing and meeting the local community, there was even some discussion on having the next one be a 2k ladder tournament, and I'm thinking about getting a skirmish league going in the summer and trying out Blood Bowl. Thanks for reading!

• 2 months later...

So would you go

TLA, Drycha, wych, loremaster

3x 3 Kurnoth hunter, 2x 20 dryad and 1 x 5 tree revenants (household and gnarlroot)

Or

TLA, drycha, wych, loremaster

2x 3 hunters, 10 and 20 dryads, 5 revenants and either TLA or TL.

(I'd probably run both with gnarles warrrior and oaken armor on TLA, also regrowth on him, wych probably lamenteri and regrowth for high chance on healing and getting hunters back - I've been using damage on the wych but have been failing both regrowth and verdurous growth too much at important moments, also helps against dispells. Drycha would likely get verdant blessing to try and get an extra forest in.)

I think there are definate pro's and con's for both setup's (another TL or TLA gives the loremaster more efficiency.. more likely to have a good target for that awesome spell, 2nd TLA could get briarsheath or maybe even circlet and the reaping which might surprise my opponent if I stuff it down his troat :D).. but 20 dryads > 10 dryads.. and 3 extra hunters... always good.

First game will be against Khorne.. so I'll probably use 3 bows and 3 swords if 6 total or 6 bows and 3 swords if 9.. since the buffers in his army are crazy - when I played a near full melee army that was a real problem).

2 hours ago, scrubyandwells said:

Latest article in the Warhammer Community sylvaneth series is up.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/08/01/age-of-sigmar-spotlight-sylvaneth-part-6-aug-1gw-homepage-post-3/ 

Shout out to @Mirage8112 for his contributions to the article.

Like the article.. all good points.. though my opponent usually places terrain that more than 4-5 bases in total (except maybe in out of the way corners) are hardly possible.. and then I have to succeed in getting the rolls in my first turn or after moving with units even less viable places will remain.

- this makes both damaging by roused by magic and by moving/charging trough them much less likely.

54 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

So would you go

TLA, Drycha, wych, loremaster

3x 3 Kurnoth hunter, 2x 20 dryad and 1 x 5 tree revenants (household and gnarlroot)

Or

TLA, drycha, wych, loremaster

2x 3 hunters, 10 and 20 dryads, 5 revenants and either TLA or TL.

(I'd probably run both with gnarles warrrior and oaken armor on TLA, also regrowth on him, wych probably lamenteri and regrowth for high chance on healing and getting hunters back - I've been using damage on the wych but have been failing both regrowth and verdurous growth too much at important moments, also helps against dispells. Drycha would likely get verdant blessing to try and get an extra forest in.)

I think there are definate pro's and con's for both setup's (another TL or TLA gives the loremaster more efficiency.. more likely to have a good target for that awesome spell, 2nd TLA could get briarsheath or maybe even circlet and the reaping which might surprise my opponent if I stuff it down his troat :D).. but 20 dryads > 10 dryads.. and 3 extra hunters... always good.

First game will be against Khorne.. so I'll probably use 3 bows and 3 swords if 6 total or 6 bows and 3 swords if 9.. since the buffers in his army are crazy - when I played a near full melee army that was a real problem).

Like the article.. all good points.. though my opponent usually places terrain that more than 4-5 bases in total (except maybe in out of the way corners) are hardly possible.. and then I have to succeed in getting the rolls in my first turn or after moving with units even less viable places will remain.

- this makes both damaging by roused by magic and by moving/charging trough them much less likely.

Hi, both lists seem pretty interesting. I'd probably go w/ the 1st option (w/ 3x3 Hunters).

• It gives you 2 good targets for Hand of Glory: TLA + Drycha (personally I'm a fan of running TLA w/ Moonstone of the Hidden Ways + Hand of Glory, turning him into a scary threat that your opponent has to worry about, although he is a little more vulnerable without Oaken Armour, so if putting him in harm's way, you may also want to make sure Mystic Shield is on him).
  • 3x3 Hunters would allow you to run 2x3 w/ bows and 1x3 w/ swords (or scythes). The 2x3 bows often seems like a minimum to me for a good all-comers, general-purpose sylvaneth build; e.g., vs Khorne, you'll want to do some early damage w/ shooting, magic, and Wyldwoods before they get into you.
  • 1st option seems a little more balanced: 6 spells, 2 big blocks of Dryads (just be careful about how they're used; I've often lost them due to poor play, in particular putting them in harm's way unnecessarily), 3 combat threats in TLA + Drycha + 1x3 Hunter-swords, long-range damage output via 2x3 Hunter-bows, etc.

14 hours ago, scrubyandwells said:

Hi, both lists seem pretty interesting. I'd probably go w/ the 1st option (w/ 3x3 Hunters).

• It gives you 2 good targets for Hand of Glory: TLA + Drycha (personally I'm a fan of running TLA w/ Moonstone of the Hidden Ways + Hand of Glory, turning him into a scary threat that your opponent has to worry about, although he is a little more vulnerable without Oaken Armour, so if putting him in harm's way, you may also want to make sure Mystic Shield is on him).
  • 3x3 Hunters would allow you to run 2x3 w/ bows and 1x3 w/ swords (or scythes). The 2x3 bows often seems like a minimum to me for a good all-comers, general-purpose sylvaneth build; e.g., vs Khorne, you'll want to do some early damage w/ shooting, magic, and Wyldwoods before they get into you.
  • 1st option seems a little more balanced: 6 spells, 2 big blocks of Dryads (just be careful about how they're used; I've often lost them due to poor play, in particular putting them in harm's way unnecessarily), 3 combat threats in TLA + Drycha + 1x3 Hunter-swords, long-range damage output via 2x3 Hunter-bows, etc.

Yeah I'll play that option then. 2 big guys should indeed be enough. I'll probably try to kill his buffers with shooting, then whittle his 20 bloodletting down a bit if I can. He also has 5 wrath mongers which if I recall correctly can take over a unit so need dryads to chaff them.. A buffed tla or Drycha hitting my own men would be nasty.

Thx

Recently I had great results with pretty standard Sylvaneth build ( 2xTLA, Branchwych, Gnarlroot, 3x5 Tree-Revs, 3x3 Bows Hunters, 6 Scythes Hunters) 

as I finished 2nd in  20+ players tourney and was crushing my clubmates. But I would like to try something different what do you think about such list : 

Alarielle + Regrowth

TLA  + General + Verdant's Blessing + Gnarled Warrior + Moonstone 

2x5 Tree-Revs

10 Dryads

6 Scythes Kurnoths

6 Scythes Kurnoths

Could it work without shooting with two big Kurnoth blocks , I love damage input, there is decent chance to generate woods as well.  

I think that against lists with key buffing units bow hunters might be worth more than scythes but probably depends on your meta. Also with Allarielle I think you have some rend and also some MW output.. and thus I'd go for at least one unit of swords..

BTW 

Q: A loremaster in gnarlroot can't get items right? Not Sylvaneth ones and not general order ones right?

2 hours ago, DantePQ said:

Recently I had great results with pretty standard Sylvaneth build ( 2xTLA, Branchwych, Gnarlroot, 3x5 Tree-Revs, 3x3 Bows Hunters, 6 Scythes Hunters) 

as I finished 2nd in  20+ players tourney and was crushing my clubmates. But I would like to try something different what do you think about such list : 

Alarielle + Regrowth

TLA  + General + Verdant's Blessing + Gnarled Warrior + Moonstone 

2x5 Tree-Revs

10 Dryads

6 Scythes Kurnoths

6 Scythes Kurnoths

Could it work without shooting with two big Kurnoth blocks , I love damage input, there is decent chance to generate woods as well.  

That's a scary-looking list!

Sadly, since the general expectation is Hunters will be somewhere around 220 in GH2017, that list probably won't be viable when the new book comes out. 

Re: whether sylvaneth can be effective without much shooting, a local friend/player and I have been chatting recently about that very subject. He thinks at least 4 units of MSU combat Hunters (scythes/swords) is the way to go (playing them aggressively), even against armies with a lot of chaff / bodies.  

I haven't tried it out, so it would be great to see some folks go for it against a wide variety of opponents/lists.

Personally, I'm concerned  about it going up against armies with a ton of chaff / bodies that also have powerful damage output from shooting and magic sitting behind their chaff. Two examples would be the infamous "Mooclan" build (x3 Huskard on Thundertusk, x1 Frostlord on Stonehorn, x3 20 Moonclan Grots with Fanatics, x1 Grot Shaman), and Tzeentch with lots of cheap Horrors with Skyfires and multiple mortal-wound-dealing Wizards screened off by the Horrors. 

Against those kinds of lists, I suspect even x4 MSU scythes would have a tough time reaching the real threats before the Hunters have been reduced significantly; but maybe not. As we know, their damage output is often amazing, so maybe they could break through the chaff lines with enough strength left.

32 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

BTW 

Q: A loremaster in gnarlroot can't get items right? Not Sylvaneth ones and not general order ones right?

Yeah, no artefacts of any kind for a Loremaster in Gnarlroot, and no Deepwood lore spell. They do get access to Gnarlroot's Verdurous Harmony spell, though.

Incidentally, if a Loremaster is a viable Ally option for sylvaneth in GH2017, you could take a Loremaster in the Ironbark Wargrove and give them the Ironbark Talisman artefact. It's not a great choice for them...but it's something.

Yeah I thought it was like that. BTW as I said.. I think loremaster and free spirits might be a win-win combination with the allies system gives freespirits a cheap caster with a spell that really combines well with Durthu. Then you put Allarielle in there for some healing and all is well... Loremaster loves allarielle too I'd think :D. Might make that Alphastrike list going round here before even more potent :D. Or a shadowdancer too for just better movement to make the alpha strike better.

@scrubyandwells. I guess with Kurnoth going up it's tough but I can swap Dryads for TreeRevs and got 60 spare right now slight discount on Alarielle and TreeRevs and I am fine (going by Skirmish) if not I will go with 9 Kurnoths( 6 and 3) and some allies then 

I am just little burned out by Gnarloot found myself many times with no spells to cast as only Regrowth is great every turn and Mystic Shield and Arcane are one offs. 

With that list I have 4 spells and Alarielle spell is bonkers. 

Archived