Let's Chat Sylvaneth

scrubyandwells

28 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

1. agreed

2. I think the +1 save from oaken armor is great always. 3+ or 2+ makes a big difference against whatever rend you face. However I think the briarsheath is good too.. really a coin flip for me.

About the starting units: If you don't have to take points/battleline into account or ANYTHING else.. you should (if you have the models and if you want to go all out) just go 6 hunters for all follower slots. 2 bows and 2 swords will REALLY be way stronger than anything else (I mean just look at the points comparison). (I probably don't understand this part of the campaign rules though).

Not saying that Oaken Armor isn't great, I just think Briarsheath is better when you don't have Gnarled Warrior. 

As to your last point, he's playing in a local path to glory league. This isn't even a tournament let alone a highly competitive tournament. Taking 4x6 Kurnoths would be absolute insanity. 

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, swarmofseals said:

Not saying that Oaken Armor isn't great, I just think Briarsheath is better when you don't have Gnarled Warrior. 

As to your last point, he's playing in a local path to glory league. This isn't even a tournament let alone a highly competitive tournament. Taking 4x6 Kurnoths would be absolute insanity. 

Well... taking something strong is never insane. It's A PATH TO GLORY :D so it fits perfectly.

10 hours ago, Kaylethia said:

Do players really hate Sylvaneth that much? I've seen a few other references to stuff like this, along with the idea that Sylvaneth players will fill out their army with Hunters, spam you off the board with shooting and Wyldwoods. And at the same time, in my limited experience, it seems more like a hateboner for what Sylvaneth can possibly do if you roll like a god. Granted, in a tournament setting you do what you can to maximize your chances of winning, but this feels like a very ****** move.

How have you worked around that kind of stuff happening? 

Yeah. They do. And yeah. That's exactly what happens. It's not a ****** move really. Just matched play. Someone took 27 skyfires to south coast...

Free spirits and bale winds to increase effective ranges is the answer. But ultimately I'm moving back to mixed order now in competitive games... 

15 minutes ago, HadrielCaine said:

Yeah. They do. And yeah. That's exactly what happens. It's not a ****** move really. Just matched play. Someone took 27 skyfires to south coast...

Free spirits and bale winds to increase effective ranges is the answer. But ultimately I'm moving back to mixed order now in competitive games... 

If there is some terrain on the table it's really hard to flood the table in forests. And Hunters are strong.. but not as nasty as some other stuff around.

On 5/7/2017 at 9:36 AM, Nick Dicehammer said:

Hello - I am looking for general tactical advice on how to deal with mixed Destruction (Kunning Ruk mixed with Stonehorns/Thundertusks) and Tzeentch. Was that covered somewhere previously in this thread? My local meta is dominated by those two builds, and I found that I had a hard time cracking both. 

It's been discussed on here and I don't think there is a super strong consensus. Briarsheath is certainly strong in a meta like this, although it won't do much to help you against Thundertusks. I definitely would not try to do a monster-mash style list as it'd be quite vulnerable to both of those opponents. 

If you don't mind playing a boring/cheesy list yourself, one option is definitely just to squeeze in a bunch of Kurnoth Hunters with Greatbows. Thundertusks are a lot less scary when they don't have a juicy target to snowball, and KH are great at tearing them down very quickly from range. Kunnin' Rukk is still pretty strong against greatbows, but you'll at least have a decent shot at picking off the big boss, and if you concentrate fire on the arrowboys you can winnow them down pretty quickly. 

Greatbows are also good against skyfires. In a straight up shootout you should win most of the time point for point with kurnoths vs. skyfires. Just remember to kill the shaman as quickly as possible. 

If you do decide to take a Treelord Ancient, I'd consider keeping it off the table against mixed destro until you can weaken the thundertusk threat. A branchwraith with briarsheath is also quite nice against rukk as they can't really hit it if you deepstrike it into a wyldwood. The tusks can still snowball it off instantly though, so again be careful when you deploy it. 

Another possibility to consider is taking a bunch of tree-kin. They are basically the best defense per wound sylvaneth has access to against mortal wounds and kunnin rukk shooting (except a treelord ancient with oaken armor and gnarled warrior, but that's quite vulnerable to snowballs). Their offense isn't bad either against medium to light armor, but they are slow.

I have  a question. I purchased a Balewind Vortex just yesterday so I never tried it before. 

What is the best use we can do with? Any spell that becomes useful with it? Any tip/trick will be pleased.

@Aezeal @swarmofseals

Wow! I really appreciate your quick answers!  About Scythes vs Swords I think I will take those tin openers because in PtG they can cast multiple Mystic Shields (No rules of 1!) and I will need -2 rend. 

Between Briarsheath and Oaken Armour I don't know...  best combination is Gnarled Warrior + Oaken armour but since I can't guarantee my command trait... I can't choose between them! Let's see if somebody can shed light on this issue. 

I won't exploit Kurnoth Hunters because we are playing for fun and since I only have 6 magnetized Kurnoth Hunters :)

Comments are always welcome! 

5 hours ago, Cerve said:

I have  a question. I purchased a Balewind Vortex just yesterday so I never tried it before. 

What is the best use we can do with? Any spell that becomes useful with it? Any tip/trick will be pleased.

The absolute nastiest thing we can do with a balewind is stick a Gnarlroot Wargrove Branchwych on it with The Silverwood Circlet and The Reaping spell. Just spam The Reaping and Unleash Spites with incredible radius and watch MSU melee armies melt. Of course, if the opponent has a decent amount of shooting you will just get picked off!

The absolute nastiest thing we can do with a balewind is stick a Gnarlroot Wargrove Branchwych on it with The Silverwood Circlet and The Reaping spell. Just spam The Reaping and Unleash Spites with incredible radius and watch MSU melee armies melt. Of course, if the opponent has a decent amount of shooting you will just get picked off!

The first problem with this is that you need a 7 to cast the summon Balewind Vortex spell, which is not trivial. The further problem is getting into a good spot to do so. You can only deploy into a Wyldwood near the enemy or Navigate to one in the movement phase, so you would need a double turn to get into place and then cast the spells in the second battleround. The most practical way to do this would be to use the Forest Folk Battalion to teleport into position first (as that does take place in the hero phase).

1 hour ago, swarmofseals said:

I've got an old balewind lying around (from when they where in a kit with the throne.. and when the throne actually was high up on skulls) but I've never used it. I'm just not convinced it's worth the 100 points with that 7+

4 hours ago, Pistol44 said:

@Aezeal @swarmofseals

I won't exploit Kurnoth Hunters because we are playing for fun and since I only have 6 magnetized Kurnoth Hunters :)

Comments are always welcome! 

Despite my talking about hunters... I've only bought my 2nd set of 3 recently and haven't played them yet :D . But ONCE I will terrorize my opponents with legions of them :D

4 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

Despite my talking about hunters... I've only bought my 2nd set of 3 recently and haven't played them yet :D . But ONCE I will terrorize my opponents with legions of them :D

Post a battle report when you do. I'm curious if swapping your list around will bring you better luck on the tabletop. 

3 hours ago, Mirage8112 said:

Post a battle report when you do. I'm curious if swapping your list around will bring you better luck on the tabletop. 

Well it's been mostly my regular chaos opponent and a Beastclaw raider guy I played once. They just have some nasty stuff. Belakor, Hellcannons , chimaera's they make for nasty stuff against our army (yeah he's tailoring against me :D).

I actually think tons of hunters would do well against him.. but I don't have them. 

I've been winning against high elves, dark elves and goblins (list a game against goblins in the tourney since it only lasted 3 turns .. I'd almost whiped him at that point and would've scored full points next 2 turns I think... but.. time out (I actually think that last round of the tournament was at least 30 min shorter than previous rounds).

24 minutes ago, Mirage8112 said:

proxy?

Well I've not really felt the need yet since I was playing gnarlroot in 1500 points. But we are moving up to 2K now and I'm leaving gnarlroot since it's commandphase annoys him (the one with the hellcannon, belakor... OW AND BILETROLLS.. 6 of them.. NASTY buggers that vomitting stuff is terrible.) Against him Drycha probably wasn't really worth it.. though she never did terribly. The bow hunters never really pulled their weight except the first game when he brought valkia (never did that in other games). I actually not quite sure gnarlroot was actually worth it's points either... I could cast 7 spells per turn (4 casters).. but I think it often was WAY less and while verdurous harmony IS a good spell.. I don't think I got the chance to use it often: combat is so volatile that units often get whiped if really targetted. I do have 6 treekin and 3 counts as treekin (which are more massive than hunters - I posted a link to a pic of them somewhere before) so I could proxy but don't really feel like it. I do think that now I'm putting gnarlroot away I SHOULD probably play free spirits.. but I can't atm. Freespirits solves all problems my gnarlroot list had (I guess I'll end up with other problem like a lack of utility where I had too much of that in the gnarlroot list).

But I'll probably move back to gnarlroot since the lore appeals to me (limited as it is)... and I've also got a loremaster waiting for me in the shop... once I pick it up and it's painted I'll have to try it out :D. I think he'll combine well with the TLA and Drycha :D

6 hours ago, swarmofseals said:

It doesn't work unfortunately. I mean yes, but only 12". First add then moltiply.

Anyway, 12" is not so bad for the potenzial.

2 hours ago, Cerve said:

It doesn't work unfortunately. I mean yes, but only 12". First add then moltiply.

Uhh, if you add first then multiply you get 18". 3" range, add six to 9". Then multiply, 18". Am I missing something here? Was it FAQed at some point?

29 minutes ago, swarmofseals said:

Uhh, if you add first then multiply you get 18". 3" range, add six to 9". Then multiply, 18". Am I missing something here? Was it FAQed at some point?

Isn't the...oh wait. No sorry, my bad. I meaning first multiply, than add. 

I'm going to reading the faq now, I'm in doubt.

2 hours ago, Cerve said:

I think your mistaken. The reaping is 3". Add 6" from the silver wood circlet (since the wording specifically states you add 6" to the spell) brings the distance to 9". Then that 9" is doubled from the balewind vortex, bring the total range to 18" (for a whopping 40" bubble) for the the reaping. (The total for unleash spites is 30"; or a 64" bubble). 

8 minutes ago, Mirage8112 said:

I think your mistaken. The reaping is 3". Add 6" from the silver wood circlet (since the wording specifically states you add 6" to the spell) brings the distance to 9". Then that 9" is doubled from the balewind vortex, bring the total range to 18" (for a whopping 40" bubble) for the the reaping. (The total for unleash spites is 30"; or a 64" bubble). 

Yeah I mistake to writing. Is there any rule in AoS that says you first multiply, THEN you add? Because I can't find nothing about it in the GH nor in the FaQ.

How can I say what I have to do first? Add or multiply?

Mmm...I read all the GH, faqs, forum etc and the thing is...you decide. 

There's no rule that explain the order but the one that says "if happens in the same time, you choose". So yes, the Reaper bomb still at 18". Cool! That's sounds nasty!

Need to try it! Thanks mates.

There's a Destruction trait that destroys scenery, but I believe it was confirmed that you could still use Navigate Realmroots after this?

I'm thinking about attending a local tournament soon, could I get a little feedback on these lists?

Is Gnarlroot too much of a points sink at 1200 points? I'm set on using at least 1 unit of Kurnoths and the treekin, but apart from that I'm open to suggestions. I have everything included in the lists + Drycha. I'm tempted by a TLA + Drycha list too...

2ad8ac41a00c4fb4ef0c5dbbf805f713.png

dba1c42358373fee750686220cc713f5.png

4cdf30986bfbbe1a867d2686276dd437.png

13 minutes ago, Asor said:

Hi, quick question. If i play a celestial hurricanum in an gnarlwood battalion. May i equip it with an artefact from the sylvaneth? Or only an order Item?

Thx guys!

You can't, since the Hurricanum doesn't break your Allegiance but it doesn't become Sylvaneth at all.

Archived