Let's Chat Sylvaneth

scrubyandwells

1 hour ago, Paul G said:

Cool episode @Chris Tomlin, would be cool to hear your thoughts once you've used Drycha a little!

Has anyone used a list with TLA, Durthu and Drycha in?

I used Drycha in a gnarlroot  a few times and she and squirmlings rock. One game she got shot before doing anything... but otherwise something else would've gotten hurt.. but once in range one turn of shooting and melee usually earns her back the majority of her points.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What do you guys think about replacing durthu in that list with 6 scythe hunters and a branchwych? I personally find the 30 wounds last a lot longer especially with all the shooting people are bringing. 

Otherwise i find durthu gets shot off the board a lot of games

Certainly - if you need to make the adjustment to your meta. I use both and there are pros and cons to taking both. I would perhaps consider something a bit more adventurous than a second Wych; Sorceress, Jade Wizard, Starseer.

Hi Sylvaneth team!

I'll have a wade through this thread in detail when I have a minute. For your informaiton/enjoyment, my current matched play list is as follows:

Treelord Ancient 300 (General), Gnarled warrior, Ranu’s Lamentiri

Spirit of Durthu 400, The Oaken Armour

Branchwych 100, Ranu’s Lamentiri

5 Tree Revenants 100, Scion – Protector Glaive

3 Kurnoth Hunters 180, Greatbows

3 Kurnoth Hunters 180, Greatswords

Sisters of the Thorn 220

Warscroll Battalions:

Free Spirits 40

Gnarlroot Wargrove 80

Household 20

Hey Adam!

Good to see you posting.

Looks like a conventional Sylvaneth list. A bit too dependent on the casting roll on Shield of Thorns for my taste, but I know the list does pretty well.

How are your games going with it?

I guess Durthu is better he hits harder,is tougher and is great in 3 places of power

I doubt that he hits harder than 6 Scythes unless he has got Hand of Glory (which only works on a single model - not a unit) or other buffs - possibly his maximum damage is higher if everything goes through and you get 3 extra attacks on the Sword, but I'm pretty certain that the Kurnoths outdamage him on average by a long way (and have the same -2 rend needed to deal with other Sylvaneth armies that ignore -2 rend, Stormcast Dracoths and other tanky targets). People fluff rolls on Durthu reasonably often, whereas you really do need #CraigRolls for 18 Scythe Attacks at 2+/3+, 3+, -2 rend, D3 damage to bounce @Bowlzee

19 hours ago, HadrielCaine said:

Hi Sylvaneth team!

I'll have a wade through this thread in detail when I have a minute. For your informaiton/enjoyment, my current matched play list is as follows:

Treelord Ancient 300 (General), Gnarled warrior, Ranu’s Lamentiri

Spirit of Durthu 400, The Oaken Armour

Branchwych 100, Ranu’s Lamentiri

3 Kurnoth Hunters 180, Greatswords

Sisters of the Thorn 220

Warscroll Battalions:

Free Spirits 40

Gnarlroot Wargrove 80

Household 20

I do think that Sisters of the Thorn only really shine when you have a big unit of Dryads to throw Shield of Thorns onto. With Mystic Shield, the 12+ model buff and being in cover after not charging means you'll have 2+ re-rollable save that reflects mortal wounds back on a 3+.

Also of note is that in Gnarlroot its up for debate as to whether they generate a Deepwood lore spell. Throne of Vines would go a long way to getting Shield of Thorns off.

1 hour ago, SpiritofHokuto said:

I do think that Sisters of the Thorn only really shine when you have a big unit of Dryads to throw Shield of Thorns onto. With Mystic Shield, the 12+ model buff and being in cover after not charging means you'll have 2+ re-rollable save that reflects mortal wounds back on a 3+.

Also of note is that in Gnarlroot its up for debate as to whether they generate a Deepwood lore spell. Throne of Vines would go a long way to getting Shield of Thorns off.

I agree... just using the sisters randomly seems hardly worth the effort.

@SpiritofHokuto @Aezeal thanks for the input. Ultimately I really like the models so they made it in. But I do concede the point. I haven't been generating Deepwood spells on the sisters, but I have been casting VERDUOUS HARMONY with them when required. The wording of the Deepwood lore is 'Each WIZARD in a SYLVANETH army knows an additional spell chosen from the Deepwood spell lord,' (p.108) which seems pretty conclusive to me as the Order WIZARD in the Gnarlroot battalion is part of the army. The army is SYLVANETH even if the WIZARD is not. IMO

I've been putting Shield of Thorns on Durthu so with Oaken armour and Mystic Shield he's reflecting wounds on 4+, but I've honestly not found it to be very effective. 

EDIT// notifications on here are weird, meant I missed all of the commentary before the quoted list. 

@Nico we'll see how it fares next weekend (which reminds me I MUST pay for my Callign ticket today)

@Aezeal @DantePQ Three Places of Power is great with Durthu, he won me that scenario at Sheffield Slaughter (you can hear all about how my sylvaneth fared at hard6.co.uk)

But I am always going to take Sword hunters over Scythes. Why?

1) The swords look SO much cooler 

2) Consistent 2 damage. Give me a D3 and I'll roll you a 1 (there's a reason I retired my 40 Deathwing army...)

I've got a blog on my army in this subforum now so if you haven't already do check it out!

Cheers

A

Good stuff Adam.

Rule of Cool is a big factor (for your own confidence in the army for one thing). The single biggest reason for taking Scythes is the mirror match up vs Sylvaneth - you've immediately all but  lost the game if that Household Treeman Ancient with Oaken Arnour and Gnarked Warrior touches a unit of 6 Sword Kurnoth Hunters.

The swords do look cool which is why they are finding their way into conversions in my DoT force!

Looking forward to catching up at London's #Calling.

I have a Sylvaneth force that I can play up to 2000+ point games with. Was at a local AoS event today with 16 players and saw some really cool Wanderers models. And I really felt the urge to add some for my Sylvaneth. I would appreciate all the suggestions I can get on what I can get and how to make it work. 

I have the following: Durthu, Treelord ancient, Drycha, Branchwych, Loremaster (for gnarlroot)  Tree-revenants, Dryads,  Kurnoth hunters (6 bow, 3 scyrhes). 

Thank you :)

56 minutes ago, Amradiel said:

I have a Sylvaneth force that I can play up to 2000+ point games with. Was at a local AoS event today with 16 players and saw some really cool Wanderers models. And I really felt the urge to add some for my Sylvaneth. I would appreciate all the suggestions I can get on what I can get and how to make it work. 

I have the following: Durthu, Treelord ancient, Drycha, Branchwych, Loremaster (for gnarlroot)  Tree-revenants, Dryads,  Kurnoth hunters (6 bow, 3 scyrhes). 

Thank you :)

It's a bit tricky because unless you're going Gnarlroot/Winterleaf you'll be breaking your allegiance. Also it's only Sylvaneth models that are immune to the detrimental effects of Wyldwoods so melee based units probably aren't ideal. Sisters of the Thorn can cast their spell on anyone and it can make Dryads an unholy menace of a tarpit. Other than that Glade Guard could be an option to get some massed shooting in, and their once a game -3 Rend ability seems pretty nasty.

13 hours ago, HadrielCaine said:

I've played one mirror match so far. My opponent had 6 scythes. They wiffed completely. I retreated Durthu onto an objective and won the major, three places of power.  Job done.

*Helped kill your Ancient then showed your Swords who's superior - is a funny spelling of wiffed. ?

So went to a 1000pt tourny a couple weeks ago. Rocked up with

Alarielle

2 5x unit Tree Revenants (blade on champion)

1 3x unit Kurnoth Hunters with bows.

Took best overall and best order. Now the question is, at the end of may I have a 1500 vanguard toruny and a bit stuck on what to take. Should I add Durthu and another unit of revenants? maybe Drycha and some more hunters? Stop being a cheese lord and use something else entirely? 

And yeah i do realize that my only options against gunline are stay out of range and go for the win playing to the objectives, or hope the beetle goddess manages a bottom turn 1, top of turn 2 super charge and wipes the scariest shooting unit off the map.

So what are your guys thoughts?

@Tommm Durthu got the Ancient I thought? They certainly hit. But I was happy to lose three swords to them and run away. They also did wiff completely in one round (as did my Durthu). I didn't think either of us had great dice? Either way it was fun and Swords are cooler IMO ;) cant wait to see your stuff finished. That purple is awesome.

I have a question for you guys. I was playin a game of 3 places of power with my sylvaneth against 2 armys of both bein flesh eaters. I was told that my list was a tournament winnin competitive list and not a semi competitive list. Whats your guys opinion because i whole heartedly disagree. 

1960/2000

X1 TLA with gnarled warrior and oaken armor - regrowth 

X1 branchwych with ramu's liemintiri - regrowth 

X1 battle mage -wildform, verdant blessing

X1 Treelord

X20 dryads

X10 dryads

X10 revenants

X3 kurnoth hunters with scythes

X3 kurnoth hunters with bows

X3 kurnoth hunters with bows 

Household

Gnarlroot

I dont doubt that its good, i made it to have a chance at winnin but also be fluffy and fun. I was just told that its a hardcore competitive list. I didn't understand how considering every tournament winning list is either hunter spam, durthu, or alerialle. And i don't run either of them. By the way, nice quote haha

On 22 March 2017 at 9:50 AM, Paul G said:

Cool episode @Chris Tomlin, would be cool to hear your thoughts once you've used Drycha a little!

Has anyone used a list with TLA, Durthu and Drycha in?

I have used a list with all 3 in. Was an interesting game against Beastmen. Durthu just absorbed a stupid amount of damage and bounced back destroying 2 units and the general while Drycha ran around hitting stuff. Durthu seems to be a concentration point for attacks, which left Drycha free. The TLA got stuck in combat and held by a Jabberslythe. It was a great game.

I love Drycha, if she works she is completely mad, in my second game she managed (with mates bad dice and my good dice) to polish off 2 thundertusks.

So my army at present

General TLA 300

Spirit of Durthu 400

Drycha 280

Branchwych 100

20 x Dryads 240

10x Dryads 120

5x Tree Revenants 100

3 x Kurnoth Hunters (Bows) 180

3 x Kurnoth Hunters (Bows) 180

Household 20

Gnarlroot 80

I didn't understand how considering every tournament winning list is either hunter spam, durthu, or alerialle. 

This is exaggerated or simply wrong in the UK at least. A few events have been won by Kurnoth Hunter spam plus Hurricanums (Alliance last year by Rufio), another event more recently. I'm not aware of a Sylvaneth allegiance list winning a significant event in the UK (do correct me if there's an example I've missed); and more confident that an Alarielle list hasn't done so. They often do well - placing highly - but seemingly fall at the last hurdle/hit one bad match up etc.. The existence of DoT is going to amplify the bad match up risk.

@Nico

Yes it was an over exaggeration, i know that. Probably not the best way to get my point across. What i meant to say, is that the top tier lists typically consist of what i mentioned. None of which i run because i dont wanna a super competive list. I want a solid, fluffy, and fun for both sides list. So i guess my question. Is that what my list is? Or is my list super competitive as my opponents had said?

Archived