Let's Chat Sylvaneth

scrubyandwells

16 hours ago, MidasKiss said:

@Forestreveries that's an awesome result. It's good to see the Greatbows performing, they are my favourite looking out of the 3 options (though they all look great). Did you find they got engaged in combat quickly?

I'm curious how the tournament handled the Wyldwoods, was it 1-3 models allowed per wood or did they house rule it? Regardless, how many of the woods did you find you could actually get down with the Verdant Blessing spell throughout the game?

Lastly, when taking a named character is there any reason not to make Durthu or etc the general so that you get the bonus command trait?

Looking forward to reading your battle report! This thread is great.

Thanks man!

So first point; I have been down on the bows but for this event they were awesome. They did get engaged quickly often but the hunters are so resilient it mostly was to the detriment of my opponent rather than me. I never lost the unit and they did a great job soaking up incredible amounts of damage and pinning enemies in place whilst their own damage output was still applied wherever needed due to the long range. 

I chose sides based on availability of damned terrain when possible as those guys hitting on 3's and with a 3+ rerollable save were incredible. Alarielle essentially negated the effect of the damned terrain for them so always +1 to hit for free. 

Wildwoods werent capped in this tournament but I only had 4 with me. 

Min game 1 Drycha failed to cast the spell for two turns and then died so I only got a single one at the start of the game which mattered little. 

Game 2 I placed 2 citadel woods for my "free" wood around an objective but later regretted it as I needed to summon one but didn't have any available, game three I had all fours own singularly in great positions and they had a big role in the result of that game. 

I don't think a cap was needed but that was possibly due to me only having the 4 bases available. 

Your last question is one I keep asking myself. Honestly it's mainly due to laziness, I haven't spent time reading the cam and traits and warscrolls to figure out the combo, so I just used Alarielle as the general because she is the only model with a command ability. Her ability is solid and probably did swing games with that one turn rerolling wounds tbh. 

Aaron

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey @Aaron congrats again on the awesome showing. 

Would also love to hear about the scenarios and whether they were more forgiving on model count. It looks like your list was heavy on big-ticket models and didn't have too many battleline units. If you were writing a Sylvaneth list for the Pitched Battle scenarios, do you think your Rain of Stars list would be considerably different or similar? 

Really looking forward to your write up!

Here's Gdub's reply re: # of extra spells that can be cast via Gnarlroot Wargrove:  

"Hey Tyler, We've been playing it as every one of the models, though Rune makes a good point. We'll pass it to the rules guys though, in case they want to address this in the future and specify how they intended it to work."

Screenshot replies attached covering three issues to date: 

• Number of units that can use the Dreadwood Grove's Ambush ability.
  • Whether only one extra spell total via Gnarlroot Wargrove can be casted per your hero phase.
  • How to handle deployment in Escalation Pitched Battle for units that can setup off table (e.g. in the hidden enclaves).

1_dreadwood_grove_ambush_ability.png

2_gnarlroot_wargrove_spell_casts.png

3_escalation_scenario_deployment.png

2 hours ago, scrubyandwells said:

Hey @Aaron congrats again on the awesome showing. 

Would also love to hear about the scenarios and whether they were more forgiving on model count. It looks like your list was heavy on big-ticket models and didn't have too many battleline units. If you were writing a Sylvaneth list for the Pitched Battle scenarios, do you think your Rain of Stars list would be considerably different or similar? 

Really looking forward to your write up!

There were pitched battle scenarios in place, we played (and with this I achieved);

Blood and Glory (major victory)

Take and Hold (major victory)

Border War (Minor Victory)

Will cover thoughts in promised write up!

Aaron

14 minutes ago, Forestreveries said:

There were pitched battle scenarios in place, we played (and with this I achieved);

Blood and Glory (major victory)

Take and Hold (major victory)

Border War (Minor Victory)

Will cover thoughts in promised write up!

Aaron

The anticipation for this write up is higher than the next George RR Martin book ;)

8 hours ago, Forestreveries said:

Ha! Well (spoilers!) to my knowledge, nobody died at the event!

Aaron

I think @TDK was pretty close...

Enjoying this thread and looking forward to your write up Aaron. It should be said that the calibre of his round 2 and (especially) 3 opponents was strong, making his result all the more impressive. But I'll say no more and we can wait for his thread!

I want to note as well that the tournament only ignored the army selection restrictions (no Battleline etc) as it was so soon after the GH release and I did not want to invalidate anyone's army (tickets were sold months in advance).

8 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

I think @TDK was pretty close...

I want to note as well that the tournament only ignored the army selection restrictions (no Battleline etc) as it was so soon after the GH release and I did not want to invalidate anyone's army (tickets were sold months in advance).

Assuming that's Sam, then yes!

dont worry bro, I've covered that in what I've written so far ??

Some random musings:

I've been looking at the Guardians of Alarielle Battalion for some upcoming games. It looks like a cute and fluffy combination of my two armies (SCE and Sylvaneth). At 1 500 pts (1480) I can barely squeeze in the minimum unit requirement formations for the battalion:

Guardians of Alarielle 					120 pts
Branchwraith (Lady of Vines)				100 pts
2 x Dryads 						240 pts
1 x Treelord Ancient					300 pts
1 x Treelord						260 pts
1 x Lord Castellant (Grymn)				100 pts
1 x Judicators						160 pts
2 x Liberators						200 pts

Total							1 480 pts

(As an aside, from a fluff perspective, its a great shame that Lord Castellant Grymns faithful Gryph-Hound is not a part of the battallion).

Now, this looks like a fun and fairly strong battalion to play I reckon, and would benefit from the Sylvaneth allegiance abilities - because it's a Sylvaneth battalion. Obviously we can't go giving Sylvaneth artifacts or command traits to the Lord Castellant of course - as the SCE units do not get the Sylvaneth keyword themselves (thus should take care around Wyldwoods!). However, re-reading through the Sylvaneth Allegiance abilities, in particular Forest Spirits, it does seem like - RAW - the Stormcasts indeed can be deployed not in the Celestial Realm, but in one of the hidden enclaves:

FullSizeRender.jpg

Now, the wording would mean that you'd have to set aside and summon the entire battalion - no mixing - but I found it interesting nonetheless. Probably too restrictive to be used in any meaningful way, but you never know!

edit: Well, if you've got enough room to place 3 Wyldwoods in your deployment zone you could essentially almost guarantee that you finish deploying first (1 drop, into the hidden realms) and then summon the battalion in. Obviously you'd lose the first hero phase so probably/possibly still not worth it.

@zen you wouldn't have to have the woods in your deployment zone, in fact sides are chosen after your wood is placed IIRC so you would want to deploy it centrally or risk your opponent choosing that side and preventing you ever putting a mode on the table! 

I do agree that the formation is strong, I'm building a 2k list around it arm where everything but the dryads has at least a 2+ save when in cover and the majority reroll 1's. The hard part is fitting in hard hitting elements  that can function on their own as this battalion he's to work as one unit, it will struggle with scenarios where you have to spread out. 

Aaron

@Forestreveries very good point! Although if they do indeed choose the side with the wyldwoods, you could just deploy as normal and use the Treelord Ancients spell to wreak havoc on their army - as large portions of their army most likely would be close to the giant wyldwood!

I plan to eventually build a 2000 pts list with the Batallion too, and encounter the same problem as you. I think a neat additional 500 pts could be:

+ 10 dryads (to round out one of the units to 20) +120 pts

+ 3 Kurnoth Hunters +180 pts

+5 Judicators (making 1 larger unit of 10) +160 pts

Turn the Treelord into an ancient +40 pts

The Kurnoth hunters would help spread the command ability of the Treelord Ancient, thereby helping in scenarios where you have to spread the force out. Tempted to run them with bows for a fairly decent shooting phase (10 judicators and 3 K.Hunters), but I'm not entirely sure. Heard good things about the Hunters with scythes, and my bow hunters haven't performed as well as expected.

1 hour ago, Zen said:

@Forestreveries very good point! Although if they do indeed choose the side with the wyldwoods, you could just deploy as normal and use the Treelord Ancients spell to wreak havoc on their army - as large portions of their army most likely would be close to the giant wyldwood!

I plan to eventually build a 2000 pts list with the Batallion too, and encounter the same problem as you. I think a neat additional 500 pts could be:

+ 10 dryads (to round out one of the units to 20) +120 pts

+ 3 Kurnoth Hunters +180 pts

+5 Judicators (making 1 larger unit of 10) +160 pts

Turn the Treelord into an ancient +40 pts

The Kurnoth hunters would help spread the command ability of the Treelord Ancient, thereby helping in scenarios where you have to spread the force out. Tempted to run them with bows for a fairly decent shooting phase (10 judicators and 3 K.Hunters), but I'm not entirely sure. Heard good things about the Hunters with scythes, and my bow hunters haven't performed as well as expected.

Seems solid. Hard to go wrong with that formation I think! There is another thread in the order section of this forum called Guardians of Alarielle where I've posted my proposed list and thoughts, check it out don't want to clog the forums repeating stuff over :)

Aaron

At Alliance at the weekend I came 30th with a mixed arms list (no Alarielle). List was Drycha (fun), Treelord Ancient (expensive spell caster), branch wraith, Durthu (died too easily), 3 KH with bows (a bit bluuurgh), 3 KH with scythes (amazing), 3 tree revs (mostly pointless), and 30 Dryads (did ok at holding objectives except when they all died). 

Artefacts and spells were rolled randomly every game rather than picked. 

I also had four woods. One went down in the centre every game, others appeared, but are difficult to use as I didn't roll the acorn at all and only got Verdent Blessing once. Relying on the tree lords ability was very hit or miss. 

Ended up up with a minor loss, a major loss (to Archaon), then a major win.

One of the other players had 12 Kurnoth Hunters with bows, 30 archers, 4 Gryphhounds and 3 Hurricanums. He won every game and scored 6000/6000 vps....

3 hours ago, Stevewren said:

At Alliance at the weekend I came 30th with a mixed arms list (no Alarielle). List was Drycha (fun), Treelord Ancient (expensive spell caster), branch wraith, Durthu (died too easily), 3 KH with bows (a bit bluuurgh), 3 KH with scythes (amazing), 3 tree revs (mostly pointless), and 30 Dryads (did ok at holding objectives except when they all died). 

I also had four woods. One went down in the centre every game, others appeared, but are difficult to use as I didn't roll the acorn at all and only got Verdent Blessing once. Relying on the tree lords ability was very hit or miss. 

One of the other players had 12 Kurnoth Hunters with bows, 30 archers, 4 Gryphhounds and 3 Hurricanums. He won every game and scored 6000/6000 vps....

Thanks @Stevewren for the summary. I saw some photos of your Sylvaneth. They look fantastic. 

In a tourney setting, Sylvaneth do seem to have quite a few inefficient units. It looks difficult to design general-purpose lists for them without multiple flaws (I could be missing things), although that could be true for most armies and a feature, not a bug.

In general, a 1,000pt sideboard would benefit them for better mixing/matching, although that's also probably true for most armies.

What's your preference for tournies re: rolling artefacts/spells randomly or picking per game? 

In terms of units:

• Haven't tried Alarielle yet. Like many big heroes and monsters, she does seem overcosted relative to troops (you could get 9 Kurnoth Hunters (45 wounds) for her with 80 pts left over), but she has a lot of capacity. Of course, if someone gets a double turn, she could lose her 16 wounds quickly, especially without defense against mortal wounds within the Sylvaneth allegiance (unless you go Order allegiance and get 6-up invulnerable's from various sources like the Luminark of Hysh, an Archmage, or a Battlemage). 
  • Also haven't tried Durthu yet. If you limit his mortal-wound intake and make him general, the Briarsheath (-1 to hit) and Gnarled Warrior (ignore -1 rend) could help keep him alive. You could also have a Branchwych stay within 18" of him for casting Regrowth, with +2 on the roll if you take Ranu's Lamentiri. The Free Spirits Battalion is also a good buy at 40pts since it improves Durthu and the Hunters' charge-threat range.
  • For general-purpose tourney lists, Dryads seem like the de facto choice over Tree-Revenants and Spite-Revenants, unless you're running the Dreadwood Grove for alphastriking. A unit of 20 Dryads with Inspiring Presence, Mystic Shield, and within 3" of a Wyldwood can soak up a ton of (non-mortal-wound) damage.
  • I haven't had success with Tree-Revenants yet, even in situations where they seem built for it. (If only they were 3+ to hit.) If you have a sideboard, they're probably worth it on the off chance you're facing a list suited for them; but overall I'm not yet seeing their role for tourney play.
  • Aiming to experiment with Drycha as an early mortal-wound bomb with the rest of the Sylvaneth force staying way back and outside of her 18" Flitterfuries. Used in that way, though, it doesn't seem obvious you'll do enough damage to justify her 280pts before she dies. I'll probably try supporting her with one unit of 6 Kurnoth Hunters (who can soak up Flitterfuries damage) with greatswords or scythes and then keep everyone else back or on the other side of the table. 
  • I've been struggling with magic-oriented lists so far, e.g., Gnarlroot Wargrove with a Treelord Ancient and a couple Branchwyches. They haven't been kicking out enough damage, and sometimes (...often) your two dice just don't want to roll a 5-up or 6-up.
  • Without question, Kurnoth Hunters with scythes have been perennial all-stars. (Haven't tried greatswords yet but the results should be similar.) They can do incredible damage and are quite resilient, except, as usual, against mortal wounds.
  • The Treelord Ancient has some nice qualities at 300pts but again you could get 5 Kurnoth Hunters and 10 Dryads (25 wounds total) for him. In particular, some folks like to run Dryads with a Treelord Ancient/Treelord for Groundshaking Stomp (-1 to hit for enemy units within 3"), but personally I don't like relying on a 50% roll.

TL:DR:

• For Sylvaneth allegiance tourney play + non-Hero-dependent scenarios, minmaxing Dryads and Kurnoth Hunters could be a strong bet (with some variance e.g. you may want at least one unit of 20 Dryads), although I'm probably missing things smarter people have already identified.

Caveat:

• Sylvaneth are still quite new so please take any opinions/experiences with salt; e.g., you might have much better experience with Gnarlroot Wargrove, Tree-Revenants, et al., and if you do, please do tell. 

Hi all awesome thread. I'm a newb here so am working my way through the content gradually trying to soak up the strategy and detail.

I'm going Gnarlroot as the extra verduous spell and extra cast per wizard offers so much potential. Regrowth stands out for me from deepwood lore also. I am thinking that lots of healing ability and mobilisation through spirit paths, navigate realmroots etc are core to the faction...well it's going to be my initial way of upping my knowledge and xp with these guys. 

Love kurnoth hunters combo with durthu for free spirits. Very punchy, as are treelord ancients. I think the army has enough clout on warscrolls alone to let me focus my additional abilities on buffing saves and healing wounds/slain models. I'm going with a list along these lines:

Spirit durthu 

X 2 Kurnoth Bows

X 1 Kurnoth scythes 

20 dryads 

10 tree revenants 

Branchwych 

Treelord Ancient 

This gives me household and free spirits plus gnarl root. If I need to add extra count I'd add another ancient and/or regular treelord. Got my first tourney (ish) November at realms of war so really want to get a lot of play tests in so I can be totally confident with all abilities items traits etc.

@Stevewren What armies did you face other than Archaon? Any thoughts on match-ups, good/bad ones etc? What scenarios did you play?

Your army is stunning by the way! Love your painting. 

Haha, yeah... That's... something :) 

36 minutes ago, scrubyandwells said:

@scrubyandwells Just got to give you a massive "thank you!" for starting this thread and taking the time to pump out all this tactical advice. 

Some thoughts from a new player. Maybe worth skipping for most of you, but I thought the more we can share our experiences the better we can all get for it. I played a couple of "for fun" games at the store last night with the starter set units (Ancient, dryads, branchwych).

Game one was versus another new player using Skaven so we could get more practiced at the game. The Treelord Ancient can put out some decent damage, though it isn't always reliable. Definitely need to have a heal spell to use on him because the damage falloff as he takes wounds is pretty significant. I managed to fail most of my Groundshaking Stomps, but seeming it never went off I started to forget to do it each turn so I'll have to make more of an effort with that next time to give it a real go. His one range attack is pretty clutch, I managed to one shot some stuff with the D6 damage but a lot of the time that one dice doesn't make it through hit / wound/ saves, I'd much prefer Durthu's multiple 1 damage attacks. The -1 to hit Briarsheath is amazing on him, it prevents a lot of damage that's for sure. We played this on just a 2 x 2 board, so I moved up into cover of the woods and then got charged pretty quickly. Luckily some of his units failed their first charges. I let my Branchwych get taken down too easily, there isn't much room on a 2 x 2 but I could have at least moved her into a back corner or something to pull him out of position. I'm guessing this is typical of all low level hero casters, but I found her pretty lacklustre at anything but support. She had my heal spell (I took The Reaping on the ancient), so losing her was not good. The Ancient managed to tank out the rest of the battle though and finish off his artillery unit with an Arcane Bolt (which never managed to get an attack through), and take out his Rat Ogres and his General to win the game with 2 wounds left on him. 

In my second game I played a team game, with me and Seraphon on one team, and BeastClaw Raiders and Archaon on the other side. They wanted to not take items and etc, to avoid taking too long to setup the game, but I felt like I might have done a bit better had I been able to (Glamourweave would have been good against the mortal wound spam). In hindsight, me and Archaon should have set up opposite each other because we are both newer players and the other guys had many more points. We both got taken down by the larger force very quickly. Despite my opponent missing most of his first attacks (managed to roll a one and miss the almost automatic Thundertusk 6 mortal wound attack), my 16 dryads got one shot by a 1st turn run and charge by a Frostlord on Stonehorn with the couple of attacks that got through. Those things are nuts. Despite the Ancient doing some decent damage and getting healed up 5 wounds by the Branchwych, the stonehorn's half wounds ability kept it alive for long enough to kill my Ancient with help from the Thundertusk by end of turn 2 combat. Luckily the Seraphon seem just as crazy as the Beastclaws (rerolling 1's to hit and then any missed wound rolls due to some formation apparently), managing to kill Archaeon in turn two and then completely killing the rest of the ogres by the end of turn 3 to score us the win. Playing though has made me definitely want to get some Kurnoth Hunters to output some real damage, even the Bows would be nice against the Beastclaws to put some early wounds on them to get them off the auto 6 mortal wounds.

I've seen mention of house rules making woods block line of sight, i feel like that would be a massive benefit to Sylvaneth. It doesn't sit well when people are just shooting through the woods as if they weren't there. I'm surprised there isn't at least a -1 to hit if shooting through woods kind of rule. People seem to think the woods are nuts because you get to take some without paying points, and I think I'm going to have to slowly bring on more woods models to make up the up to 3 you can have in one Wyldwoods. Since I've read through the points for other armies it seems to me that we are paying for them in the points in our other units (I haven't noticed anyone paying the equivalent of our minimum 120 for 10 dryads, or 100 for 5 Tree-Revenants battleline units for example).  

Sorry for the long wall of text!

I'm curious if anyone else has versed Beastclaw Raiders and what kind of tactics / lists we can use to verse that kind of thing. In the meantime, time to buy some Kurnoth Hunters!

2 hours ago, MidasKiss said:

I'm curious if anyone else has versed Beastclaw Raiders and what kind of tactics / lists we can use to verse that kind of thing. In the meantime, time to buy some Kurnoth Hunters!

Thanks for the great write up. Beastclaw Raiders appear to be one the strongest factions at the moment. They finished second last weekend at the Alliance event with a 2,000pt list that had three (!) Frostlord Stonehorns and a Thundertusk Beastrider. I'm hoping to review their warscrolls this weekend and think about possible counters. That's a good call re: importance of early shooting to get them off D6 mortal wounds. And yeah, In Kurnoth We Trust. :)

47 minutes ago, scrubyandwells said:

Thanks for the great write up. Beastclaw Raiders appear to be one the strongest factions at the moment. They finished second last weekend at the Alliance event with a 2,000pt list that had three (!) Frostlord Stonehorns and a Thundertusk Beastrider. I'm hoping to review their warscrolls this weekend and think about possible counters. That's a good call re: importance of early shooting to get them off D6 mortal wounds. And yeah, In Kurnoth We Trust. :)

Yeah they are super powerful.  I didn't play them at RoS but Ricky Mee was playing them and was the only person to win Major Victories at the event. Unfortunately he didn't podium as he's taken a late list submission penalty and soft scores were a contributing factor in placings, but he has been tearing everything up with that army. I played him before RoS and he killed Alarielle and Durthu in my deployment zone before I'd even had a turn. I think screening your valuable modes with layers of dryads and then counter punching with Kurnoth and Treelords is the way to go against them. 

Aaron

3 hours ago, MidasKiss said:

I've seen mention of house rules making woods block line of sight, i feel like that would be a massive benefit to Sylvaneth. It doesn't sit well when people are just shooting through the woods as if they weren't there. I'm surprised there isn't at least a -1 to hit if shooting through woods kind of rule. People seem to think the woods are nuts because you get to take some without paying points, and I think I'm going to have to slowly bring on more woods models to make up the up to 3 you can have in one Wyldwoods. Since I've read through the points for other armies it seems to me that we are paying for them in the points in our other units (I haven't noticed anyone paying the equivalent of our minimum 120 for 10 dryads, or 100 for 5 Tree-Revenants battleline units for example).  

Thanks for the write up @MidasKiss.  Remember there is true line of sight so if the models can't see through the wood they can't fire through it :) leafy trees help :)

1 hour ago, Forestreveries said:

Yeah they are super powerful.  I didn't play them at RoS but Ricky Mee was playing them and was the only person to win Major Victories at the event. Unfortunately he didn't podium as he's taken a late list submission penalty and soft scores were a contributing factor in placings, but he has been tearing everything up with that army. I played him before RoS and he killed Alarielle and Durthu in my deployment zone before I'd even had a turn. I think screening your valuable modes with layers of dryads and then counter punching with Kurnoth and Treelords is the way to go against them. 

Aaron

2 hours ago, scrubyandwells said:

Thanks guys, I wasn't sure people would get anything out of my write up as I'm so new to things. 

I managed to avoid the turn 1 charge into the Treelord ancient by doing just that. It's crazy that even with a good roll you can expect to lose a whole squad. I chose to charge him with my ancient after that so he wouldn't get the crazy charge bonuses, if I had something like Kurnoth hunters or something all out offensive it could probably be an ok tactic. Unfortunately I just had only the 3 units so no choice there ^_^?

Against only Beastclaw Raiders I might field spread out shield units of 10 dryads like what I've seen people do with skinks. That way it maxes out the damage that they can do to the 10 wounds, as they have to all charge at once they can't charge past that one unit before starting combat phase. If you could string out units of Dryads so that they can't combat more than one unit at a time it would probably use up a lot of their turns just cutting through the chaff before they can ever get to anything good until you decide to charge in.

I guess it's hard to know anything really from that one game, because he outpointed me. Assuming something can fill the same kind of hard hitting role as my Seraphon Ally, they can only do so much against you with those fewer models I hope. I've been preferring larger groups of Dryads in my lists so far, but It seems like these guys can easily clear a unit whatever size you choose, so it's just a waste of points.

1 hour ago, Antipodean7 said:

Thanks for the write up @MidasKiss.  Remember there is true line of sight so if the models can't see through the wood they can't fire through it :) leafy trees help :)

Thanks @Antipodean7. So am I right in assuming that the way to do this is to get down and essentially "see" if the model can see your model? Is there anywhere they have elaborated on the line of sight kind of rules, I didn't see anything in the 4 page, the shooting section is very short and doesn't mention needing line of sight at all. I'll have to check the Handbook.

Thanks for your advice everyone

3 hours ago, MidasKiss said:

Thanks @Antipodean7. So am I right in assuming that the way to do this is to get down and essentially "see" if the model can see your model? Is there anywhere they have elaborated on the line of sight kind of rules, I didn't see anything in the 4 page, the shooting section is very short and doesn't mention needing line of sight at all. I'll have to check the Handbook.

Thanks for your advice everyone

the shooting section says "see 'Attacking", and under those rules (the "picking targets" sub heading) it says the target "must be visible to the attacker". 

That's all we have to go off as far as I can tell but I think the community has ubiquitously taken that to mean true line of sight.

It actually came up in one of my Rain of Stars games, battle reports for which will be posted up today!

Aaron

1 hour ago, Forestreveries said:

It actually came up in one of my Rain of Stars games, battle reports for which will be posted up today!

Finally!! ¬¬

Really enjoying this thread guys! From @scrubyandwells in depth thoughts and theories, to the Tournament report from @Stevewren, input from newer players like @MidasKiss and everything in between. Good work all!

I do think you treefolk will have to develop some counter strategies to deal with Destruction, specifically Beastclaw Raiders as I reckon we as a Grand Alliance have a decent time vs you (even being able to smash up your beloved Wild Woods to really rub it in if we like!) ;) 

3 hours ago, Forestreveries said:

the shooting section says "see 'Attacking", and under those rules (the "picking targets" sub heading) it says the target "must be visible to the attacker". 

That's all we have to go off as far as I can tell but I think the community has ubiquitously taken that to mean true line of sight.

Aaron

The FAQ for the main rules also gives some examples in the shooting section, where GW make it clear that it is model eye's view (ie true LOS) that is the test. For instance, the answer regarding shooting a larger unit standing behind a smaller unit. 

Archived