Let's Chat Sylvaneth

scrubyandwells

1 minute ago, kenshin620 said:

I would say parts of it are and parts of it aren't Yea the battles and campaign rules were definitely optional, especially since MP campaign is over. But you're not going to see someone with a Fungral Shaman or a Darkoath Warqueen and go "oh sorry, thats not matched play legal" (well ok to be fair that matched play thing was a nightmare to figure out since the HERALD keyword is only applicable to MP).

Yeah, that's what I meant. The heralds are very much part of the normal game, as the endless spells seem to be (they are already in AoS-app), but that doesn't mean that all of the content in the books are automatically included in every game (and of course anything in the game can be agreed to be used or not between the players).

Concerning Sylvaneth, Are the wyldwoods that the Treelord ancient generates in a non Sylvaneth allegiance army are now free as well as everything else?

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, vesco said:

Why everyone is saying branchwraith summons 10 dryads ? Warscroll say 2d6 plu fully within a wyldwood within 12" from caster. If updated gimme link please :)

Also any tutorial on how to kitbash a bwitch to bwraith ?

I thought I saw a leaked version where it gave you 10 dryads on a successful cast and potentially 20 on a high roll (like 10+).

I too would love a tutorial on how to kit bash a witch into a wraith.

So for the new edition I was thinking on completing my sylvaneth army (now is mixed Sylvaneth/wanderer/wood elf), and I was thinking of:

2 Treelords (or Durthu + Treelord)

2 Brackwraith (summon)

Alarielle.

2x15 Dryads

2x5 Tree revenants

3 Kurnoth.

How do u see it?? I know I dont have Drycha and only one unit of kurnoth but by this I will only have to buy a starter and a box of kurnoth, and I'm finishing a 2k Idoneth army so my wallet is a bit injured :)

I think that list will have good amount of magic and summon possibilities

2 hours ago, Hoseman said:

2 Treelords (or Durthu + Treelord)

2 Brackwraith (summon)

Alarielle.

2x15 Dryads

2x5 Tree revenants

3 Kurnoth.

Your two Treelords I would certainly build 1 as Durthu/TLA - I think the regular TL will see more play now that Alarielle can put down a freebie. As for the Branchwraith (btw I like Brackwraith much better, makes me think of a swampy, angry tree spirit) from what people have said about her updated warscrolls she's a no brainer for summoning Dryads. Dryads are in blocks of 10 unless they get changed in 2.0, so you can run that as 1 x 30 or split them up 10/20. Kurnoths are still great, I think scythes/swords get the nod just from Look Out Sir hitting the bows a little harder than most. 

More importantly, how many wyldwoods do you have?

@Freejack02 thanks! We usually play friendly matched games and I usually use trees I have for make the wildwoods so I can have none official but many if I need to. 

Kurnoth I think on bows because only trees and alarielle have ranged weapons.

Dryads I was thinking of 2 x 15 because of the +1 to save if they are more than 12 and 2 units have more mobility than one. If I have to make 10 + 20 I think I will go 30 for that +1 save and go first line tank with TL or Durthu. 

Brachwraith would be great if they let summon Tree Revenants too. We will see. 

I have find a really great offer for a SC and a box of Kurnoth almost 50% and I think I have to catch it. 

The other thing I worry is if maybe on 2 months we see new models with cool rules, but maybe on 2 months we see a new army or who knows... I'm happy that for the moment don't wanna get new box although I own 2200 points Stormcast and a 1300 points death army... but before idoneth if a complete sylvaneth I will stop for a good time

On 6/20/2018 at 9:11 AM, Kelbesq said:

I thought I saw a leaked version where it gave you 10 dryads on a successful cast and potentially 20 on a high roll (like 10+).

This was confirmed on the WH:Community page, Sylvaneth spotlight a few weeks back. I'm not sure if they just wrote out the list of the warscroll, or actually included a pic of the warscroll itself. it's 10 dryads on a 7 plus, in a wyldwood not more than 9" from an enemy. I'd post a link but I'm too lazy to look for it. 

I don't think this spell will be as game breaking or as powerful as people are making it out to be. I've played with the current incarnation of the spell in open play and it's fairly tricky to get off, since the dryads HAVE to go in a wyldwood and not within 9" of an enemy. You basically have to put a forest in your backfield and  just use it to churn out dryads, then teleport them where you need them to go. It can sometimes be 2-3 movement phases before they can charge anything.

It's also my understanding that Alarielle's summon doesn't have the wyldwood contingency, so it will be much more flexible. 

Hi Ladies and Gents,

I'm about to pull the trigger and buy myself 2 Start Collecting boxes, but I have a niggling question, I want to run a Ironbark Glade force (with the 0-2 Duardin units without breaking the Sylv rules) but my question is, how likely is it that this becomes defunct in 2.0 if the allies matrix changes?

There arent many other glades I really like so I'm in a bit of a pickle really!

any thoughts from the more experienced/enlightened players?

Cheers!

1 hour ago, j0lt said:

Hi Ladies and Gents,

I'm about to pull the trigger and buy myself 2 Start Collecting boxes, but I have a niggling question, I want to run a Ironbark Glade force (with the 0-2 Duardin units without breaking the Sylv rules) but my question is, how likely is it that this becomes defunct in 2.0 if the allies matrix changes?

There arent many other glades I really like so I'm in a bit of a pickle really!

any thoughts from the more experienced/enlightened players?

Cheers!

I'm in the same boat. I played Dwarfs in WHFB and would like to still use some of my units. I'm just planning to wait-and-see.

Been doing some list generation of 2000 points of Gnarlroot with Alarielle. Thought it might be useful to share.

My prerequisites were min points 1940, Gnarlroot, Alarielle, Branchwraith, no spites, no allies, max 15 Revenants, max 30 dryads. No Treelord, because Alarielle will be generating one.

Churning the handle on that gives only 6 valid possibilities:

Alarielle the Everqueen (600), Branchwraith (80), Branchwych (80), Treelord Ancient (300), Gnarlroot (130), Household (100), and....

1950: 10 Dryads (100), 6 Kurnoth Hunters (400), 10 Tree-Revenants (160)
1970: 20 Dryads (200), 6 Kurnoth Hunters (400), 5 Tree-Revenants (80)
1950: 20 Dryads (200), Spirit of Durthu (380), 5 Tree-Revenants (80)
1950: 20 Dryads (200), Treelord Ancient (300), 10 Tree-Revenants (160)
2000: 30 Dryads (270), Drycha Hamadreth (280), 10 Tree-Revenants (160)
2000: 30 Dryads (270), 3 Kurnoth Hunters (200), 15 Tree-Revenants (240)

Not sure on the best to take here. 5 Tree revs feels a little short, but doing that gives you a nice big middle unit. 30 Dryads seems too much given Branchwraith is there to churn out more. Ok, so lets drop the branchwraith:

Alarielle the Everqueen (600), Branchwych (80), Treelord Ancient (300), Gnarlroot (130), Household (100), and...

1950: 3 Kurnoth Hunters (200), Treelord Ancient (300), 15 Tree-Revenants (240)
1950: 10 Dryads (100), Drycha Hamadreth (280), 3 Kurnoth Hunters (200), 10 Tree-Revenants (160)
1970: 10 Dryads (100), 3 Kurnoth Hunters (200), Treelord Ancient (300), 10 Tree-Revenants (160)
1950: 10 Dryads (100), 6 Kurnoth Hunters (400), 15 Tree-Revenants (240)
1970: 20 Dryads (200), Drycha Hamadreth (280), 3 Kurnoth Hunters (200), 5 Tree-Revenants (80)
1950: 20 Dryads (200), Spirit of Durthu (380), 10 Tree-Revenants (160)
1990: 20 Dryads (200), 3 Kurnoth Hunters (200), Treelord Ancient (300), 5 Tree-Revenants (80)
1950: 20 Dryads (200), Treelord Ancient (300), 15 Tree-Revenants (240)
1970: 20 Dryads (200), 6 Kurnoth Hunters (400), 10 Tree-Revenants (160)
2000: 30 Dryads (270), Drycha Hamadreth (280), 15 Tree-Revenants (240)
1940: 30 Dryads (270), Treelord Ancient (300), 10 Tree-Revenants (160)

Drycha and some Kurnoths sounds nice. 

Ok, with the final drop, I'm going to fix Drayds at 20, and add in either Battlemage and/or Sisters of the Thorn:

Alarielle the Everqueen (600), Branchwych (80), Treelord Ancient (300), Gnarlroot (130), Household (100)

1950: 20 Dryads (200), Drycha Hamadreth (280), 10 Tree-Revenants (160), Battlemage (100)
1990: 20 Dryads (200), Drycha Hamadreth (280), 5 Tree-Revenants (80), 5 Sisters of the Thorn (220)
1970: 20 Dryads (200), Spirit of Durthu (380), 5 Tree-Revenants (80), Battlemage (100)
1970: 20 Dryads (200), Treelord Ancient (300), 10 Tree-Revenants (160), Battlemage (100)
1990: 20 Dryads (200), 6 Kurnoth Hunters (400), 5 Tree-Revenants (80), Battlemage (100)
1950: 20 Dryads (200), 3 Kurnoth Hunters (200), 15 Tree-Revenants (240), Battlemage (100)
1990: 20 Dryads (200), 3 Kurnoth Hunters (200), 10 Tree-Revenants (160), 5 Sisters of the Thorn (220)
1970: 20 Dryads (200), 15 Tree-Revenants (240), Battlemage (100), 5 Sisters of the Thorn (220)

Looking through my lists, I'm leaning towards:

1970:

Alarielle the Everqueen (600),

Branchwych (80),

Treelord Ancient (300),

20 Dryads (200),

Drycha Hamadreth (280),

3 Kurnoth Hunters (200),

5 Tree-Revenants (80)

Gnarlroot (130),

Household (100),

4 hours ago, ppetford said:

So, using those Battalions you get to have 2 units of dwarves AND any allies your army is normally allowed?

Yep! I think they even count as battleline if they're generic battleline. It's what I'm starting off AoS 2 running. 

Good luck this weekend with the trees at doggers. 

5 hours ago, Nico said:

They don’t need to be Allies. The Battalion simply lets you take them. In the previous rules they simply counted as Sylvaneth Allegiance (but didn’t gain that keyword).

Would you agree Nico that dwarf warriors in this would count as battleline? 

I think that if we can get a somewhat reliable summon from the wraith that could be pretty valuable. In Gnarlroot it would certainly be worth taking a cast item and throne of Vines.  If those are option I'd certainly spend an item there and take a wraith. It would give good options on dropping a unit on an objective in turn 1 or 2.

Is it certain big A gets a 100 % summon of a TL once a game for 600 points ? I mean she might not have been strongest option last year but she wasn't that weak... It would seem a bit much to hope for.

It will be sad to loose the synergy between TLA command ability and Mystic shield btw, it's a pretty big thing for units with a 3+ save and already having rr 1's. 

Hey everyone, looking for opinions for the Wargrove Point Drops as well as Alarielle and one endless spell.

I'm going to start with Alarielle first, is she just an auto-include now? I'm really struggling to find any reason not to bring her in 2000k points. She is basically a 400 pt model now that has 200 pts in summons. Her summons are also super flexible which is awesome. You can drop a treelord on something like duality, if she is getting pressured you can either throw down an anvil unit (20 dryads) or elite killers (scythe hunters). Her flexibility is off the charts now. I'm hoping someone can play devil's advocate here.

What I'm much more interested in are the Wargroves... I feel obligated to take one and I'm trying to figure out which way to lean. The bonus artifact, command point, and reduced total drops is just too good at the new point levels. The three I'm bouncing between are Gnarlroot, Dreadwood, and Harvestboon. Reading through the forum I've seen a lot of chatter about Gnarlroot. I agree with a lot of what I'm seeing and think this thing has some real power. More casts and unbinds is going to be huge especially if you can choose from the realm specific spells during your game. Even if you can't, the various wizards we have access to all have legit spells and the Sylvaneth lore spells are no joke either. So Gnarlroot, seems legit. I'm thinking a defensive minded or aggressive army will benefit greatly from this one.

Then we have Dreadwood, I haven't seen much traffic on this one but I think it has some real potential. First, it's 90 pts now and spite revs are down to 70. Spites plus the battalion will only run you 370 pts, which is silly cheap. Spites aren't the best BUT that ambush ability is juicy. You can build a really aggressive list with this wargrove where a Durthu or Alarielle or any number of units are ambushing right in front of your opponent and crashing into them. I saw talk from heywoah_twitch about a ambushing a witch with the acorn then moving the whole army up to that forest and rolling charges/shots into the opponent. Seems very legit as Sylvaneth has some absolute beaters in Durthu, Alarielle, Drycha, and Treelord Ancient. This is a pretty niche idea but I think it has a lot of potential especially if you load your list with characters who CANNOT FAIL their teleport to woods. You don't have to worry about how bad 1's feel since characters ignore them. Plus pretty much every one has a decent shooting phase so if you whif your 9 in charges you still can blow some stuff up (Drycha, TLA, Durthu, even Alarielle can shoot a little). This is the pure offense option in my mind. 

Finally, and I haven't seen anyone talk about this one but I think Harvestboon could be sweet. IF Branchwraiths are getting an update this one feels pretty good. All of the sudden they are better casters/unbinders. The spell range goes up too, which is great. Chuck in Alarielle and you have a really point efficient army. The wargrove makes tree revs charge a bit more reliable, which is going to be awesome when pressuring tucked away heroes and artillery. In my mind, this wargrove is the most defense/grindy of the ones I've called out. If Branchwraiths are better at summoning then the plan is to basically pump up their to cast, spit out some dryads every turn, heal up with alarielle, and generally bog down the enemy with our great defensive options. I think you toss in some bow kurnoths and a beater or two and this list really shines.

Finally, one endless spell is really sticking out to me and I want other folks thoughts, this thing seems insane. Geminids of Uhl-Gysh. These guys seem so silly. They hurt units, they aren't huge models, they only cost 40 pts, and they debuff. How are these soo cheap when they do all of that? Just looking for thoughts on these two as I haven't seen much traffic on them but think they seem very strong in terms of damage dealing pred spells.

Cheers!

26 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

I think that if we can get a somewhat reliable summon from the wraith that could be pretty valuable. In Gnarlroot it would certainly be worth taking a cast item and throne of Vines.  If those are option I'd certainly spend an item there and take a wraith. It would give good options on dropping a unit on an objective in turn 1 or 2.

It's not about getting it off, it about making sure the wyldwood is empty, not within 9" of an enemy and in a useful position. In a gnarlroot list you take it because "duh". But (speaking from experience) its restrictions limit its use. I'm not saying its worthless (it's not), I'm just saying it's not the silver bullet everyone is making it out to be. 

30 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

Is it certain big A gets a 100 % summon of a TL once a game for 600 points ? I mean she might not have been strongest option last year but she wasn't that weak... It would seem a bit much to hope for.

Absolutely certain yes. 100%. 

30 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

It will be sad to loose the synergy between TLA command ability and Mystic shield btw, it's a pretty big thing for units with a 3+ save and already having rr 1's. 

It means mystic shield is less of a "must cast" and it also gives some flexibility. Now you can either cast mystic shield and leave the TLA available for other Command abilities (no wasting command points when you can use a free spell to do the same thing) and vice-versa.

1 hour ago, Aezeal said:

Why is that syngery going away?

17 hours ago, Mirage8112 said:

It's not about getting it off, it about making sure the wyldwood is empty, not within 9" of an enemy and in a useful position. In a gnarlroot list you take it because "duh". But (speaking from experience) its restrictions limit its use. I'm not saying its worthless (it's not), I'm just saying it's not the silver bullet everyone is making it out to be. 

Absolutely certain yes. 100%. 

It means mystic shield is less of a "must cast" and it also gives some flexibility. Now you can either cast mystic shield and leave the TLA available for other Command abilities (no wasting command points when you can use a free spell to do the same thing) and vice-versa.

1. Ow yeah forgot it not a summon everywhere but summon to wyldwood. Might mean other armies will benefit way more from summoning. An army of summoners might be rather OP.

2. Awesome.. op a bit too maybe

3. This is an odd way too look at it I'd say. You always had the option of just doing one or the other.. it just gets worse in anycase however you look at it (unless you already had a 2 + save and now only want the ms one that unit and save the command point.)

16 hours ago, Kelbesq said:

Derp.   I just noticed that the Mystic Shield was change to also let you reroll 1's.   Too bad I didn't notice in time to edit my previous post.

Yes that is it.

17 hours ago, IndigoGirls said:

Hey everyone, looking for opinions for the Wargrove Point Drops as well as Alarielle and one endless spell.

I'm going to start with Alarielle first, is she just an auto-include now? I'm really struggling to find any reason not to bring her in 2000k points. She is basically a 400 pt model now that has 200 pts in summons. Her summons are also super flexible which is awesome. You can drop a treelord on something like duality, if she is getting pressured you can either throw down an anvil unit (20 dryads) or elite killers (scythe hunters). Her flexibility is off the charts now. I'm hoping someone can play devil's advocate here.

What I'm much more interested in are the Wargroves... I feel obligated to take one and I'm trying to figure out which way to lean. The bonus artifact, command point, and reduced total drops is just too good at the new point levels. The three I'm bouncing between are Gnarlroot, Dreadwood, and Harvestboon. Reading through the forum I've seen a lot of chatter about Gnarlroot. I agree with a lot of what I'm seeing and think this thing has some real power. More casts and unbinds is going to be huge especially if you can choose from the realm specific spells during your game. Even if you can't, the various wizards we have access to all have legit spells and the Sylvaneth lore spells are no joke either. So Gnarlroot, seems legit. I'm thinking a defensive minded or aggressive army will benefit greatly from this one.

Then we have Dreadwood, I haven't seen much traffic on this one but I think it has some real potential. First, it's 90 pts now and spite revs are down to 70. Spites plus the battalion will only run you 370 pts, which is silly cheap. Spites aren't the best BUT that ambush ability is juicy. You can build a really aggressive list with this wargrove where a Durthu or Alarielle or any number of units are ambushing right in front of your opponent and crashing into them. I saw talk from heywoah_twitch about a ambushing a witch with the acorn then moving the whole army up to that forest and rolling charges/shots into the opponent. Seems very legit as Sylvaneth has some absolute beaters in Durthu, Alarielle, Drycha, and Treelord Ancient. This is a pretty niche idea but I think it has a lot of potential especially if you load your list with characters who CANNOT FAIL their teleport to woods. You don't have to worry about how bad 1's feel since characters ignore them. Plus pretty much every one has a decent shooting phase so if you whif your 9 in charges you still can blow some stuff up (Drycha, TLA, Durthu, even Alarielle can shoot a little). This is the pure offense option in my mind. 

Finally, and I haven't seen anyone talk about this one but I think Harvestboon could be sweet. IF Branchwraiths are getting an update this one feels pretty good. All of the sudden they are better casters/unbinders. The spell range goes up too, which is great. Chuck in Alarielle and you have a really point efficient army. The wargrove makes tree revs charge a bit more reliable, which is going to be awesome when pressuring tucked away heroes and artillery. In my mind, this wargrove is the most defense/grindy of the ones I've called out. If Branchwraiths are better at summoning then the plan is to basically pump up their to cast, spit out some dryads every turn, heal up with alarielle, and generally bog down the enemy with our great defensive options. I think you toss in some bow kurnoths and a beater or two and this list really shines.

Finally, one endless spell is really sticking out to me and I want other folks thoughts, this thing seems insane. Geminids of Uhl-Gysh. These guys seem so silly. They hurt units, they aren't huge models, they only cost 40 pts, and they debuff. How are these soo cheap when they do all of that? Just looking for thoughts on these two as I haven't seen much traffic on them but think they seem very strong in terms of damage dealing pred spells.

Cheers!

A seems an auto include yes

I think wargroves are viable now not that cheap though.

You still have to succeed the casting of the endless spell (on the crucial moment) and it can't hurt yourself too.

Lot of intersting things with summoning and Alarielle has increased his value a lot. I think summoning a treelord is awesome.

My list is 2 TL ancient, 30 dryads, 10 Tree rev, Alarielle, 2 branchwych (or wraith) and 3 kurnoth. Thinking if maybe buy Drycha to change a TLAncient and summon a TL with Alarielle on turn 1 or 2. Is Drycha a must to all??

Kurnoth usually go with bows but maybe swords are better now? 

Also thinking on take a battalion for that extra artefact.

I like Drycha for her in our army otherwise not available anti horde abilities (sword hunters or mass dryads aren't bad... but not the same as killing 2/3 of a big unit of single wound guys in a single phase). She's quick and somewhat durable so there is a pretty good chance she WILL be able to use her ability in the right place. Also she's a mage so can cast and dispell and not weak in melee in general too. She just brings a lot to our army.

4 hours ago, Aezeal said:

I like Drycha for her in our army otherwise not available anti horde abilities (sword hunters or mass dryads aren't bad... but not the same as killing 2/3 of a big unit of single wound guys in a single phase). She's quick and somewhat durable so there is a pretty good chance she WILL be able to use her ability in the right place. Also she's a mage so can cast and dispell and not weak in melee in general too. She just brings a lot to our army.

I would list Alarielle as excellent anti-horde as well. I think those two can handle most swarms, a fact that is important in this new addition. I expect to still see lots of horde (and now summon heavy) armies in the meta.

On 6/23/2018 at 7:24 PM, Hoseman said:

Lot of intersting things with summoning and Alarielle has increased his value a lot. I think summoning a treelord is awesome.

My list is 2 TL ancient, 30 dryads, 10 Tree rev, Alarielle, 2 branchwych (or wraith) and 3 kurnoth. Thinking if maybe buy Drycha to change a TLAncient and summon a TL with Alarielle on turn 1 or 2. Is Drycha a must to all??

Kurnoth usually go with bows but maybe swords are better now? 

Also thinking on take a battalion for that extra artefact.

Bow kurnoth hunters still have their place but may continue to be a bit over priced (not sure a 20 pt drop covers the now -1 to hit on the characters they used to feast on). If you want melee kurnoths don't take swords, scythes are plain better.

Archived