Let's Chat Sylvaneth

scrubyandwells

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could be wrong but he might mean Malign Sorcery in general. It could be that major tournaments just don't use this supplement at all because of the massive headaches it creates. The artefact system is fairly clean, but the realm abilities and spells are not. Some of the realm spells are really broken, and furthermore the way you get access to them is weird -- you don't get the spells from the realm that your army is in, but rather the realm that the battle takes place in. Thus tournaments will either need to declare that the entire tournament will take place in a specific realm (and thus greatly alter the dynamics of the tournament as certain realms favor certain playstyles quite heavily) OR declare a specific realm for each round (and thus greatly complicate composition as players will need to change their lists every round to accommodate for the changing variety of spells from round to round) OR the realm will need to be selected randomly for each individual game (thus greatly increasing the game setup time).

Tournament organizers could very realistically decide that not using the supplement at all is the cleanest solution.

@swarmofseals what's even more meaningful that endless spells will make games longer, as casting and set-up of them will take time and then you have crucial decision to move them every turn. Also games will be longer anyway with new rules - command points, summoning new units etc I don't think there is enough space time-wise to introduce endless spells as with other changes it will push tournament games to be longer and longer.  

44 minutes ago, DantePQ said:

@swarmofseals what's even more meaningful that endless spells will make games longer, as casting and set-up of them will take time and then you have crucial decision to move them every turn. Also games will be longer anyway with new rules - command points, summoning new units etc I don't think there is enough space time-wise to introduce endless spells as with other changes it will push tournament games to be longer and longer.  

Exactly. I think were looking to add another 30 minutes or more to the duration of games. Your already struggling to fit essentially a 3hr game into 2.5 hours  (i think roughly half the games a adepticon didn't finish in the allotted time) and adding more time onto that will definitely be an issue. Tournaments in the past basically ignored the Storm of Magic expansion from WHFB 8th edition due to balance issues and they could do the same here. 

ON THE OTHER HAND...

Most tournaments (esp SC GT and Adepticon) pride themselves on playing "rules as written". It's my understanding that the realm spells and artifacts are actually part of the GH while the endless spells from Malign Sorcery are technically an "expansion" of AoS. But endless spells (from what I've seen) aren't terribly imbalanced (since everybody gets access to them) and they aren't the real culprits of adding time to games; magic, command points, summoning and more models on the table are. 

I think they'll either lengthen games or just encourage players to finish in the time allotted. Learning to play within time constraints is actually a major part of performing well at tournaments. 

24 minutes ago, Nico said:

The Mystic Shield Change will lop quite a lot of time off Games.

Sure but CA alone and some combos will eat a lot of time as well. Now imagine competitive game at high level with 2-3 endless spells on the battlefield, each one moving every turn with huge implications for both players. That will eat up a lot of time.  

51 minutes ago, Nico said:

The Mystic Shield Change will lop quite a lot of time off Games.

I dunno. +1 save made things a wee bit more resilient but that change to reroll 1's is nearly as good on units with saves in the 3+ to 4+ range. And it certainly won't make as much of an impact in total game time when summoning returns a 30 model strong unit of dryads/skellies/liberators to the table after being destroyed.

On 6/16/2018 at 8:19 PM, swarmofseals said:

You can get a pretty clear look at the Sylvaneth summoning rules page in one of the preview videos. It's just the Alarielle rules update that we already have plus a change to the Branchwraith spell, which now is a 7+ cast, summon 10 dryads. Other abilities should work exactly as they do on the warscroll. 

Do you know which video that was? Too much stuff on youtube sit through them all.

How often can Branchwraith summon? Is it command points based? I think Alarielle summoning is once per game.

So, I’m pretty happy. 2nd edition is going to mix things up, and I can’t wait!

I’ve been looking at what I own and have come up with this list for 2.0.

- T-Lord Ancient (general)

- Durthu

- B-Wych

- B-Wraith

- 20 Dryads

- 5 T-Revs

- 5 S-Revs

- 3 K-Hunters (bow)

- 3 K-Hunters (bow)

- Household

- Gnarlroot

Which comes to 1820pts, leaving 180pts to play with. But what do I put in there? I plan on using some of the new Endless Spells and maybe leaving 50pts for another command point.

Who else finding it difficult to decide how to finish their lists?

4 hours ago, a74xhx said:

Do you know which video that was? Too much stuff on youtube sit through them all.

How often can Branchwraith summon? Is it command points based? I think Alarielle summoning is once per game.

Branchwraith can attempt once per turn as it's just her normal spell that summons Dryads. 

55 minutes ago, swarmofseals said:

Branchwraith can attempt once per turn as it's just her normal spell that summons Dryads. 

Waa? Every turn the Branchwraith can cast 100points of Dryads?!?  Isn't that a little overpowered for a 80point model?

2 hours ago, a74xhx said:

Every turn the Branchwraith can cast 100points of Dryads?!?  Isn't that a little overpowered for a 80point model?

I feel the same way, and if nothing has changed it will be an auto-include in every GA list - just sit back and pump out Dryads to babysit your objectives. 10 isn't an ideal number, but who can argue with "free"?

49 minutes ago, ppetford said:

Casting value of 7, and 30” unbind range makes it a little less so

Agreed, but just a little.

What about my new gnarloot list for aos 2.0?

TLA 300

Durthu 380

branchwych 80

brannchwr 80

2x10 dryads 

5 revenant

6 schyte hunters

3 hunters bow ( or greatswards )

tot 1940

my only doubt is gs or bow for my second hunters. Another option is up to 30 one unit of dryads instead second unit of hunters. What do you think?:)

My instinct is to go for bow hunter as I think there will be a lot more buffing hero’s to take out at range. -1 to hit for shooting a hero near units is a bummer. I’m hoping there is some way to improve Kurnoth’****** rolls since rules for damned terrain changed

I guess we need to see if the Wyldwoods rules changed, unless anyone knows for sure? I’m still going to run 6 bow hunters to start with in 2.0, but I have Scythe’s on the bench ready to take their spot.

Are you considering using any endless spells to fill the last 60pts, or are you going for the command point?

On 6/18/2018 at 1:09 PM, Mirage8112 said:

Tournaments in the past basically ignored the Storm of Magic expansion from WHFB 8th edition due to balance issues and they could do the same here. 

To be fair Storm of Magic I thought was advertised as a supplement rather than a normal game thing. Much like nearly all the other Warhammer supplements like Triumph and Treachery, Apocalypse, or Cities of Death.

Malign Sorcery on the other hand seems to be an actual Matched Play thing, but up to tournaments for the final say. After all, GW probably want people to spend money on MS.

6 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

To be fair Storm of Magic I thought was advertised as a supplement rather than a normal game thing. Much like nearly all the other Warhammer supplements like Triumph and Treachery, Apocalypse, or Cities of Death.

Malign Sorcery on the other hand seems to be an actual Matched Play thing, but up to tournaments for the final say. After all, GW probably want people to spend money on MS.

From what I remember, Storm of Magic and the end times book were all marked as "expansions" to WHFB, since they just expanded on the normal way they are is played. Malign sorcery is cited as being an "expansion" on the webstore. I know 40k has "supplements" but I'm not totally certain any of the WHFB doodads were marked as such. I vaguely remember my old WoC and Wood Elves army book being marked as "supplements" on the back, since they didn't expand on the game rules or change the core rules of the game but don't quote me on that. 

Ye. I think about different type of realms is a narrative thing. No not in matched play. Malign sorcery spells prob can be mathed play too

@ppetford

im thinking to play the endless spell that gives +2 in charge. I don't remember the name ( is endless spells can be used in marched play). I got 2 battalions so I start with 2 command ability. I don't need more I think. 

Endless spells buffs are for opponent too but gnarloot is 1 drop army. As sylvaneth I alweys take turn 1 for my woods . +2 to charge plus my command ability to reroll it make me more easy to charge with durthu if I wanna deploy my woods offensively !:)

- guys you know if there is an endless spell that give like +1 or +2 to cast?

14 hours ago, kenshin620 said:

Isn't Malign sorcery very similar to Malign portents as an expansion to the game?

Why everyone is saying branchwraith summons 10 dryads ? Warscroll say 2d6 plu fully within a wyldwood within 12" from caster. If updated gimme link please :)

Also any tutorial on how to kitbash a bwitch to bwraith ?

1 hour ago, Jamopower said:

Isn't Malign sorcery very similar to Malign portents as an expansion to the game?

I would say parts of it are and parts of it aren't Yea the battles and campaign rules were definitely optional, especially since MP campaign is over. But you're not going to see someone with a Fungral Shaman or a Darkoath Warqueen and go "oh sorry, thats not matched play legal" (well ok to be fair that matched play thing was a nightmare to figure out since the HERALD keyword is only applicable to MP).

I dunno, it would just seem weird for GW to be pushing MS so much in the previews of 2.0 only to go "ahh well I guess its not much of a Matched Play thing". I mean look at summoning. 1.0, it was more of a Narrative thing so Matched players almost completely ignored it. It was kind of a "dead rule" to Matched players. Now it isn't, especially with GW pushing for that kind of strategy (lets see though what happens after a few months and the FAQ/Eratta to see nerfs if it becomes a problem).

In a way its a bit like the Balewind Vortex. In WFB where it debut, only those who played Storm of Magic ever touched it. Then fast forward to AoS where it became a pivotal piece in many people's magic lists (much to the dismay of those who didn't like it).

So IMO (granted I'm NOT a tournament player so feel free to critique me. Plus if we had a random pick up matched play game but you expressed your distaste for MS, I'll be happy to drop those spells for either an extra character or some more CP.)

Malign Sorcery: Almost guaranteed Matched Play rules but up to game runners to have it allowed or not.

Realm Specific Artifacts: 50/50 on it being Matched Play rules. Its really good though for armies lacking artifacts or good artifacts.

Realm Specific Spells: Very unlikely to be Matched Play rules (seriously, giving all wizards an extra 6-7 spells for free?) but some tournies may use them to spice up the game.

Archived