Let's Chat Sylvaneth

scrubyandwells

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So copy pasted from Reddit:

Spirit of Durthu: 400 to 380 (-20 points)

Kurnoth Hunters: 220 to 200 (-20 points)

Spite Revenants: 80/420 to 70/360 (-10/-60 points)

Dreadwood Wargrove: 200 to 90 (-110 points)

Forest Folk: 110 to 140 (+30 points)

Forest Spirit Wargrove: 160 to 140 (-20 points)

Free Spirits: 90 to 120 (+30 points)

Gnarlroot Wargrove: 180 to 130 (-50 points)

Guardians of the Alarielle: 220 to 200 (-20 points)

Harvestboon Wargrove: 200 to 100 (-100 points)

Heartwood Wargrove: 160 to 80 (-80 points)

Household: 70 to 100 (+30 points)

Ironbark Wargrove: 160 to 80 (-80 points)

Lords of the Clan 110 to 100 (-10 points)

Oakenbrow Wargrove: 180 to 80 (-100 points)

Sylvaneth Wargrove: 200 to 80 (-120 points)

Winterleaf Wargrove: 200 to 90 (-110 points)

Looks lile my list is:

Allarielle

Spirit of duruthu

Hamadrech

10 dryads

5 tree-revenants

5 tree-revenants

5 tree-revenants

3 x kurnos hunters

3 x kurnos hunters

Guaranteed summon of those units by allarielle is insanely flexible, and a pulse heal every turn? Worth 600 to me with her amazing profile.

The increased dispelled range is a pretty strong nerve for mages though... in comparison to those damn chaos priests we now have even less chance of success for overall weaker effects (their d6 mw prayer is very strong I think).

I'm coming to the hobby having played WHFB in the past. The two most recent armies I played were Wood Elves (sold all those miniatures) and Dwarfs (still have a bit).

As such, I'm very interested in the Ironbark Wargrove build. With the new points cost in 2.0, anyone see any interesting combos? I'm thinking Ironbreakers or Irondrakes (or both) currently. 

5 hours ago, Aezeal said:

The increased dispelled range is a pretty strong nerve for mages though... in comparison to those damn chaos priests we now have even less chance of success for overall weaker effects (their d6 mw prayer is very strong I think).

I don't think it's fair to characterize it as a clear-cut nerf. There is going to be a lot more spellcasting in the game in general, and our own wizards also benefit from the increased unbinding range. I do think it makes Sylvaneth weaker against enemies that have heavy bonuses to cast and unbind, but it's also relevant to remember that Sylvaneth tends to be a very forward deployed army in general. It's not like enemy unbinders weren't often within 18" of our casters already. 

Yes, priests are very good. Wizards are also very good.

EDIT: This also makes Ranu's Lamentiri and Thone of Vines a lot more attractive. For example, in a Gnarlroot Wargrove you can stick a Branchwraith in the woods with some Dryads along with Lamentiri and Throne of Vines. You cast Throne with +2 to cast and if your opponent doesn't unbind it you'll now be at d3+1 for your dryad summon. If they do unbind it then they've spent an unbind on that spell, freeing you up to cast something else unimpeded (unless your opponent has a bajillion unbinds). And with Look Out Sir you'll be at -2 to hit with shooting and very difficult to shift out of the wood due to the dryads. 

5 hours ago, Aezeal said:

I'm really wondering about the summoning rules, have we seen their definite form already? 

You can get a pretty clear look at the Sylvaneth summoning rules page in one of the preview videos. It's just the Alarielle rules update that we already have plus a change to the Branchwraith spell, which now is a 7+ cast, summon 10 dryads. Other abilities should work exactly as they do on the warscroll. 

I've been rolling list ideas over in my mind a bit. I've never been a Dreadwood player, so I'll leave that to those of you who have played that list a lot and defer to your expertise. 

Here's  a rough Gnarlroot take:

Alarielle (600)

TLA (300)

Branchwych (80)

Branchwraith (80)

2x5 Tree Revs (160)

30 Dryads (270)

5 Sisters of the Thorn (220)

Household (100)

Gnarlroot Wargrove (130)

That leaves 60 surplus points for endless spells or changing a unit of tree revs to Dryads. Dryads could be dropped to 20 strong in order to grab an extra Branchwraith.

Specific spell and artefact choices are going to depend on what is available in the sorcery book. 

The basic idea here is to forward deploy, spread the woods out and grind the opponent out. Sisters of the Thorn combines extremely well with the Dryads to spew mortal wounds and the Branchwraith spits out more Dryads to keep the opponent contained. While the list isn't intended to do a lot of damage, the sheer volume of spellcasts combined with the presence of Wyldwoods certainly gives a real potential for mortals.

My main gripe with the list is that I really want to fit in Drycha but can't figure out how to do it without sacrificing the Dryads or Sisters (which kinda defeats the point).

An alternate:

Alarielle (600)

TLA (300)

Branchwych (80)

Branchwraith (80)

Drycha (28)

2x5 Tree Revs (160)

30 Dryads (270)

Household (100)

Gnarlroot Wargrove (130)

Same basic gameplan, perhaps less gimmicky. 

I'd be interested to mock up a Winterleaf list with a Frostie but need to know the points on that warscroll first.

I believe it’s only for regular Woods NOT Sylvaneth Wyldwoods

Also for my planned Gnarlroot list I wouldn’t be running Alarielle. Instead I’d trade her for 3x3KHunters. 

Its already very magic heavy and only the TLA, wraiths and wyches get an extra spell - plus with all the healing this army can do, everything is more likely to stay healthy. My only gripe with the gnarlroot build is i always like running a Durthu and I can just never seem to fit him in gnarlroot builds 

I feel I’ll have two builds in this edition - gnarlroot and dreadwood (Alarielle)

Loving all these changes for Sylvaneth. Really excited to get the trees back out again. I'm going a bit left-field and trying an Ironbark list to begin with (might be of interest to you @dmorley21)

Durthu: oaken armour, gnarled warrior
Alarielle: throne of vines
Branchwych: acorn of the ages, verdant blessing
40 dwarf warriors
5 tree revenants
5 tree revenants
Treelord
Endless spell: chromatic cogs
Household
Ironbark Wargrove

Think lots more options out there for us, which is great.

5 hours ago, Lanoss said:

I believe it’s only for regular Woods NOT Sylvaneth Wyldwoods

Also for my planned Gnarlroot list I wouldn’t be running Alarielle. Instead I’d trade her for 3x3KHunters. 

Its already very magic heavy and only the TLA, wraiths and wyches get an extra spell - plus with all the healing this army can do, everything is more likely to stay healthy. My only gripe with the gnarlroot build is i always like running a Durthu and I can just never seem to fit him in gnarlroot builds 

I feel I’ll have two builds in this edition - gnarlroot and dreadwood (Alarielle)

I see what you mean to some extent, but I'm honestly not taking Alarielle for her magic or because she synergizes with Gnarlroot particularly well. It's more because she's just a crazy amount of value for her cost now. It's not really a question between 3x3 hunters vs. Alarielle. It's more like 2x3 hunters vs. Alarielle as she comes with her own set of hunters (or whatever other unit is more useful). 2x3 scythe hunters will deal an average of 17.33 rend 2 damage. Alarielle will do an average of 8.33 rend 2 damage vs small units and 11.11 vs units of 5+ models, plus the Talon of Dwindling attacks which will occasionally instagib something. Combine that with the very powerful metamorphosis, healing, ranged attack and extra casts/unbinds and I think you can make a case for either one. Alarielle is a lot more mobile, of course, while the Kurnoths put a lot more wounds on the table. 

27 minutes ago, Lanoss said:

I totally agree

she has SO much value now

I think a build with less investment into battalions when using Alarielle the better - but that’s just me

I just wish they would give her a bonus to cast/unbind - it's sort of pathetic that a magic goddess doesn't have that (hell, even pink horrors do). 

19 hours ago, swarmofseals said:

I've been rolling list ideas over in my mind a bit. I've never been a Dreadwood player, so I'll leave that to those of you who have played that list a lot and defer to your expertise. 

Here's  a rough Gnarlroot take:

Alarielle (600)

TLA (300)

Branchwych (80)

Branchwraith (80)

2x5 Tree Revs (160)

30 Dryads (270)

5 Sisters of the Thorn (220)

Household (100)

Gnarlroot Wargrove (130)

That leaves 60 surplus points for endless spells or changing a unit of tree revs to Dryads. Dryads could be dropped to 20 strong in order to grab an extra Branchwraith.

Specific spell and artefact choices are going to depend on what is available in the sorcery book. 

The basic idea here is to forward deploy, spread the woods out and grind the opponent out. Sisters of the Thorn combines extremely well with the Dryads to spew mortal wounds and the Branchwraith spits out more Dryads to keep the opponent contained. While the list isn't intended to do a lot of damage, the sheer volume of spellcasts combined with the presence of Wyldwoods certainly gives a real potential for mortals.

My main gripe with the list is that I really want to fit in Drycha but can't figure out how to do it without sacrificing the Dryads or Sisters (which kinda defeats the point).

An alternate:

Alarielle (600)

TLA (300)

Branchwych (80)

Branchwraith (80)

Drycha (28)

2x5 Tree Revs (160)

30 Dryads (270)

Household (100)

Gnarlroot Wargrove (130)

Same basic gameplan, perhaps less gimmicky. 

I'd be interested to mock up a Winterleaf list with a Frostie but need to know the points on that warscroll first.

Sisters of the Thorn are now 180 points ( -40 points ). I’m super excited to try them out now, they have such a good spell!

Man these new changes to our points make-up are quite exciting. It might be a bit premature to say we've fared the best of the other factions from the points and summoning changes, but it really looks like the designers took a hard look at the first army to get the newer-style battletomes (with items, spell lores and whatnot) and made some big changes to bring us in line to AoS 2.0. 

I myself am pretty excited by the changes to dreadwood, (which as most of you know, is the main army type I take to competitive events). As tempted as I am to sit down and design a bunch of new lists, I think it's pretty important to keep in mind how much the game will change from AoS to AoS 2.0. I have a feeling there will be a titanic shift in the way games are played and armies are constructed. From command points to predatory spells, summoning and scenario changes I have feeling things will interact very differently on the tabletop. 

For example, the fact that the household battalion went up in points is pretty significant. I have a feeling that we'll see units retreating from combat far more often than we have before, and the ability o prevent that will be real tactical advantage. Summoning will be huge (obvs.) we might even see some times where it's beneficial not to completely destroy large units in order prevent them coming back at full strength. I think we'll see way more more low-level heroes on the tabletop and battalions more frequently. Along with that, in addition to new armies/units, we're going to see a bunch more special rules in play on tables, and more time spent in the hero phase, which means games at competitive events will move slower. If your just playing games with your mates, that's not so much of a big deal, but at events where matches only last a maximum of 2.5 hours games could very well be decided on the third turn. 

I think that means lists with speed/survivability will be more valuable than damage focused lists, since games are most often decided on objective points rather than % of models killed. I actually think that will weaken MW focused lists that rely on the accumulation of damage over multiple turns as opposed to lists that focus on getting to objectives first and staying there. The change in how battleshock immunity works is huge as well, and drops that damage potential of MW focused lists since MW damage dealers will have to focus fire units down rather than doing a moderate amount of wounds and letting battleshock take care of the rest. This also means we might see Alpha strike lists more often, but they'll be a little less deadly. 

Overall Im really looking forward to getting the book in my hands a getting a broader picture of how everything fits together. 

If I can get him into my dreadwood, having him move forward first turn and charging with that sword ?

It's just finding the points for him, I'm loath to drop anything and I've got 210 points to play with...

TLA 300

Drycha 280

80 Branchwych

270 30 Dryads

280 4 x 5 Spites

400 6 Scythe Hunters

Dreadwood + Outcast

1790 by new points...

I mean, I'm thinking dropping 3 Scythes might be the one, adding Durthu, takes me to 1970. 30 for a spell maybe, the one that blocks line of sight?

Archived