Let's Chat Sylvaneth

scrubyandwells

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, ppetford said:

I had always thought the answer to the second question was no, a Loremaster in a Sylvaneth army cannot have an additional Sylvaneth spell chosen for the Army Book. Not sure where this is written, just always played it that way.

True, the Loremaster would be a ally so he can't choose any Sylvaneth spell ,artifact or trait. Only units with the Sylvaneth keyword on an army with the Sylvaneth alliance can take it.

On 4/9/2018 at 7:16 AM, Freejack02 said:

Also believe the answer is yes, as the included order unit is both a wizard and part of a Sylvaneth allegiance army. I am curious if this has already been confirmed/clarified by anyone. 

They don't get the extra spell.  It's in the GHB2017 (don't have it handy currently or I'd quote the exact passage for you).  Loremaster gains the Sylvaneth key word exclusively for the purpose of determining allegiance.  Any allegiance abilities do not apply. 

1 hour ago, Richelieu said:

They don't get the extra spell.  It's in the GHB2017 (don't have it handy currently or I'd quote the exact passage for you).  Loremaster gains the Sylvaneth key word exclusively for the purpose of determining allegiance.  Any allegiance abilities do not apply. 

Ah, yes! looks like GHB17 p 117. 

Hi all

I have to make an easy to play 1000pt Sylvaneth list and the thing is I have no clue on how to do it. I have faced Sylvaneth only a few times and normally I play Maggotkin but now I need some pointers to descent  list. So far I have a start collecting box including an ancient treeman and three Kurnoth Hunters using scythes. What to get and how to use it? Any advise will be appreciated..

Thanks in advance.

5 hours ago, Greasygeek said:

Hi all

I have to make an easy to play 1000pt Sylvaneth list and the thing is I have no clue on how to do it. I have faced Sylvaneth only a few times and normally I play Maggotkin but now I need some pointers to descent  list. So far I have a start collecting box including an ancient treeman and three Kurnoth Hunters using scythes. What to get and how to use it? Any advise will be appreciated..

Thanks in advance.

I usually play something like that: 

-Treelord Ancient (Regrowth, oaken armour, tha trait that avoids -1 rend)

-branchwych (verdant blessing)

-20 dryads

-10 dryads

-3 kurnoth hunter

-5 tree rev

980p

I hope it helps you.

11 hours ago, Walkirriox said:

I usually play something like that: 

-Treelord Ancient (Regrowth, oaken armour, tha trait that avoids -1 rend)

-branchwych (verdant blessing)

-20 dryads

-10 dryads

-3 kurnoth hunter

-5 tree rev

980p

I hope it helps you.

I promised myself to never ever play 10 dryads it's just so useless.
Also having a 1k tournament soon and was thinking about:
- Treelord Ancient
- 30 Dryads
- 3 Kurnoth Hunters with scythe (with bow i'm having bad results)
-5 tree revenants
-1  Branchwych
950/1000

3 hours ago, vesco said:

I promised myself to never ever play 10 dryads it's just so useless.
Also having a 1k tournament soon and was thinking about:
- Treelord Ancient
- 30 Dryads
- 3 Kurnoth Hunters with scythe (with bow i'm having bad results)
-5 tree revenants
-1  Branchwych
950/1000

Well, at 1000p 30 dryads is overkill, but it’s true that 10 are only usefull to hold an objective taken. 

I agree that bow hunters are the worst option, unless you have 6 of them to snipe heroes.

Thanks you’ve been most helpfull. One more Question though. Does wyldwood cost points for the Sylvaneth? I know that they get one for free but what about those wyldwoods that is summoned or gained through powers during the game? Are they free too?

59 minutes ago, Greasygeek said:

Thanks you’ve been most helpfull. One more Question though. Does wyldwood cost points for the Sylvaneth? I know that they get one for free but what about those wyldwoods that is summoned or gained through powers during the game? Are they free too?

I’m glad it helped you! All the wyldwoods are free if you play under sylvaneth allegiance. 

Hi guys! One of my friends plays Stormcast Eternals, and when he has to play against me, he always pick 2-3 knight Heraldor (it shakes a terrain feature within 15" and all the units within that terrain suffer d3 mortal wounds). 

I can't take advantage of wyldwoods because sylvaneth are specially weak to mortal wounds, and without the woods I can't play the basic mechanics of the army...

What should I do to counter that? Anyone has found himself in a similar situation?

8 minutes ago, Walkirriox said:

Hi guys! One of my friends plays Stormcast Eternals, and when he has to play against me, he always pick 2-3 knight Heraldor (it shakes a terrain feature within 15" and all the units within that terrain suffer d3 mortal wounds). 

I can't take advantage of wyldwoods because sylvaneth are specially weak to mortal wounds, and without the woods I can't play the basic mechanics of the army...

What should I do to counter that? Anyone has found himself in a similar situation?

Bow hunters can snipe Heraldors perfectly well (one of the only SCE heroes with a 4+ save) - how is he getting within range reliably? If it's any sort of setup (Scions, Lightning Chariot, other battalion abilities) you could take 1-2 gryph hounds to try and take them out as soon as they deploy forward. Otherwise you're probably going to eat a round or two of damage until you can get to them, but it shouldn't be anything Regrowth can't handle. 

7 minutes ago, Freejack02 said:

Bow hunters can snipe Heraldors perfectly well (one of the only SCE heroes with a 4+ save) - how is he getting within range reliably? If it's any sort of setup (Scions, Lightning Chariot, other battalion abilities) you could take 1-2 gryph hounds to try and take them out as soon as they deploy forward. Otherwise you're probably going to eat a round or two of damage until you can get to them, but it shouldn't be anything Regrowth can't handle. 

He plays them next to the general, for a +1 save. I can kill one with 6 kurnoth hunters, but last game for example, he wiped my drycha having a double turn ( 2 of them 2 turns means 4d3 to all units in that wyldwood) plus some shooting... that’s nothing to laugh about.

4 hours ago, Walkirriox said:

I think that I would simply suggest that he not tailor his list specifically to face you and build and play an all-comers list. My impression has been that this is how many (most?) have played through the many editions of WHFB as well as there are always some armies with more options and easier to tailor than others.

5 hours ago, Walkirriox said:

He plays them next to the general, for a +1 save. I can kill one with 6 kurnoth hunters, but last game for example, he wiped my drycha having a double turn ( 2 of them 2 turns means 4d3 to all units in that wyldwood) plus some shooting... that’s nothing to laugh about.

Does he just move them in range, or use some form of setup deployment?

26 minutes ago, Freejack02 said:

Does he just move them in range, or use some form of setup deployment?

Just move them, and they are protected.

1 hour ago, Warboss Gorbolg said:

I think that I would simply suggest that he not tailor his list specifically to face you and build and play an all-comers list. My impression has been that this is how many (most?) have played through the many editions of WHFB as well as there are always some armies with more options and easier to tailor than others.

He is indeed a Warhammer fantasy  player... I don’t think I’m gonna change his mind, as it is something legal to play and he always wants to win by all means.

16 minutes ago, Walkirriox said:

Just move them, and they are protected.

He can't really protect them against shooting or magic, so you should still be able to snipe them out. It's a bit of a tough unit for Sylvaneth to have to deal with, but shouldn't be too bad. 

2 hours ago, Walkirriox said:

He is indeed a Warhammer fantasy  player... I don’t think I’m gonna change his mind, as it is something legal to play and he always wants to win by all means.

So I think there are a few options you have in this situation:

1. Try explain to him that you would prefer not to tailor lists to the opponents army in a more competitive game/practice game, as you would prefer to treat it as a tournament experience where you don't know who you're going to come up against

2. Tailor your own list to beating his list. He'll get the message. This only really works though if you have good options to counter his stuff (and then it becomes a meta of countering the counter)

3. You could play a different army. Depending on how you guys organise to play, this can be either a 'mean move' or just being a bit sneaky. For example, if you guys write up lists right before you start playing, it's very easy for him to tailor his list. So it'd be a bit of a mean move to imply in that case you're taking Sylvaneth, and then BAM, out from under the table comes Maggotkin. He probably wouldn't really take well to that especially if you indicated you would be playing Sylvaneth.

However, on the other hand, if you guys just organise a game. And the assumption is you're going to bring Sylvaneth on his behalf, then it's very easy for you to just... take something different. If he asks, you can always just say "Oh I felt like playing my Maggotkin or other army X recently".

4. Just treat games against him as games where you come into a hefty disadvantage that you need to figure out how to overcome. There'll be games that will be like this in tournaments. You won't have to play them every game (Which I guess is the frustrating thing of playing against you friend), but you know, it can be good experience to try and figure out ways to victory.

5. Don't play him. Extreme (especially given he's a friend), but if the game is not enjoyable for you because you feel he is hard countering your army and doing so purposefully, just explain that to him and state that's how you feel. 

The best case of course, is to try and figure out how to beat him (potentially tailoring your army to do so). Can't give you much help there as I'm not a Sylvaneth player.

10 hours ago, Freejack02 said:

He can't really protect them against shooting or magic, so you should still be able to snipe them out. It's a bit of a tough unit for Sylvaneth to have to deal with, but shouldn't be too bad. 

As I said before, I can kill one per turn (if I’m lucky), but then I still get a bunch of mortal wounds. I thought about playing dreadwood alpha strike, but I have never played that before. What do you think about that?

7 hours ago, someone2040 said:

So I think there are a few options you have in this situation:

1. Try explain to him that you would prefer not to tailor lists to the opponents army in a more competitive game/practice game, as you would prefer to treat it as a tournament experience where you don't know who you're going to come up against

2. Tailor your own list to beating his list. He'll get the message. This only really works though if you have good options to counter his stuff (and then it becomes a meta of countering the counter)

3. You could play a different army. Depending on how you guys organise to play, this can be either a 'mean move' or just being a bit sneaky. For example, if you guys write up lists right before you start playing, it's very easy for him to tailor his list. So it'd be a bit of a mean move to imply in that case you're taking Sylvaneth, and then BAM, out from under the table comes Maggotkin. He probably wouldn't really take well to that especially if you indicated you would be playing Sylvaneth.

However, on the other hand, if you guys just organise a game. And the assumption is you're going to bring Sylvaneth on his behalf, then it's very easy for you to just... take something different. If he asks, you can always just say "Oh I felt like playing my Maggotkin or other army X recently".

4. Just treat games against him as games where you come into a hefty disadvantage that you need to figure out how to overcome. There'll be games that will be like this in tournaments. You won't have to play them every game (Which I guess is the frustrating thing of playing against you friend), but you know, it can be good experience to try and figure out ways to victory.

5. Don't play him. Extreme (especially given he's a friend), but if the game is not enjoyable for you because you feel he is hard countering your army and doing so purposefully, just explain that to him and state that's how you feel. 

The best case of course, is to try and figure out how to beat him (potentially tailoring your army to do so). Can't give you much help there as I'm not a Sylvaneth player.

1. I will propose to reveal the enemy you are facing just before the battle, instead of the last day we play, as it will be close to a tournament match.

2. You said it well, it will start a counter-counter meta, and that’s not enjoyable, not for me at least. I’ve been playing and trying many playstyles, not to counter that, just to try new things. But I’m a bit tired about that, that’s why I asked for advice.

3. I thought about that, but I’m not that kind of person. I’m a competitive player and I like to win, but not at all costs.

4. That’s what I’ve done since now, but it’s tiring...

5. Ofc that’s not an option but that’s true that I prefer to play with other friends. 

I will try the first option, the problem is that we play to enjoy and there is no trouble with the other players... It was fine like this until he started to build tailor lists. 

I still want to build a strategy to beat him, just in case.

Gents,  I'm doing a little bit of hobby consolidation and painting some long forgotten models in my collection. 

I have some Sylvaneth, and really like the look of the Dreadwood, story-wise. I'm really struggling to think of a theme though, I'm guessing cold colours, but struggling for inspiration. Struggling to find a dark, cold green/blue as well.

Inspire me guys, I want to paint some trees!

8 hours ago, Thebiggesthat said:

Gents,  I'm doing a little bit of hobby consolidation and painting some long forgotten models in my collection. 

I have some Sylvaneth, and really like the look of the Dreadwood, story-wise. I'm really struggling to think of a theme though, I'm guessing cold colours, but struggling for inspiration. Struggling to find a dark, cold green/blue as well.

Hey mate, I ply dreadwood predominately. My colors aren't blue or green, but I find any unified scheme can work well for any of the war groves. if your interested, you can see my army colors/progression here 

On 4/30/2018 at 3:48 PM, Thebiggesthat said:

I've gone for a cold theme. Grey, blue/green, pink. Can see various pictures on my Twitter https://twitter.com/MikeBurgess1/media

Sooo talking about list, i came out with this one:
- TLA - General, Oaken Armour, Gnarled Warrior, Verdant Blessing or Regrowth not sure which one to take.
- Branchwych - Silverwood circlet, The reaping
- Treelord 
- 30 Dryads Battleline
- 20 Dryads Battleline
- 5 Tree Revenants Battleline
- 6 Kurnoth Hunter with Scythe
- 3  Kurnoth Hunter with Bow
- Household 
- Balewind Vortex

So the power in this is:
- the branchwych's spell the reaping with balewind and the circle so it's D3 mortal wound to 12" i think sylvaneth miss mortal wounds
- solid core of dryads 
- sniping heroes with treelord, tla and kurnoth w/bow 
- power of khurnoth with the scythes

Looking for thoughts!

Archived