Let's Chat Sylvaneth

scrubyandwells

11 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

He's incorrect, you are correct. It's 40 points per wyld wood which is 1-3 bases, no reason to make it worse.. it's still not worth it :D.

I'm not incorrect, if its non sylvaneth it costs 40pt to summon a wyld wood  which is 1 to 3 wyld wood bases.  I did not say 40pts per base. A Wyld wood is 1 to 3 Bases! I said 40pts per wood and yes I could have been clearer but I wasn't wrong.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But the point I was wondering about was why @Mjolnertf specifically would pay for the second wyldwood when he or she is playing a 100% Sylvaneth army? Do we only get one free one? I was under the possible misconception that we could have as many as we want for free, as long as we can get them on the board. In my experience that kind of limits you anyway as the possible spaces where you can fit one tend to shrink as the battle spreads over the table!

22 minutes ago, WABBIT said:

I'm not incorrect, if its non sylvaneth it costs 40pt to summon a wyld wood  which is 1 to 3 wyld wood bases.  I did not say 40pts per base. A Wyld wood is 1 to 3 Bases! I said 40pts per wood and yes I could have been clearer but I wasn't wrong.

It's 40 points to summon a wyldwood which is 1-3 citadel wood bases, I think that's the disconnect. Glad to hear it's not worse than I thought (although I do agree that it's not worth trying to use). I've never tried using more than just Drycha as an ally - they just rely on the wood mechanic too much in most cases. 

4 minutes ago, Freejack02 said:

It's 40 points to summon a wyldwood which is 1-3 citadel wood bases, I think that's the disconnect. Glad to hear it's not worse than I thought (although I do agree that it's not worth trying to use). I've never tried using more than just Drycha as an ally - they just rely on the wood mechanic too much in most cases. 

Well yeah but they rebranded them to "Sylvaneth WyldWoods" now as they dont use "Citadel Miniatures" as a brand much now - "Citadel" is mainly used on paints, carry cases, hobby stuff etc. It may differ on different country websites. 

21 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

But the point I was wondering about was why @Mjolnertf specifically would pay for the second wyldwood when he or she is playing a 100% Sylvaneth army? Do we only get one free one? I was under the possible misconception that we could have as many as we want for free, as long as we can get them on the board. In my experience that kind of limits you anyway as the possible spaces where you can fit one tend to shrink as the battle spreads over the table!

Yes IF you pick Sylvaneth Allegiance you never pay for wyld woods so they are all free. Grab as many as you can summon! :D You can have an army 100% sylvaneth and pick Order Allegiance in which case you have to pay for each Wyld wood of 1 to 3 bases. This makes Sylvaneth less attractive as Allies because the lose that synergy with wyldwoods and if you bring wyld woods it can do as much harm to your own non sylvaneth army as the enemy. Same in reverse, sylvaneth armies that bring allies may end up killing their own allies if they end up near a wyld wood.  Its just annoying and another needless limitation. I collect Wood Elves so this is particularly annoying to me:D

17 hours ago, Mjolnertf said:

Hello, I would buy 1000 points as soon as possible another Starter collection, sooner or later you will need more dryad, I know it is not what you have, but I play this:

Allegiance: Sylvaneth

Leaders
Treelord Ancient (300)
- General
- Trait: Gnarled Warrior 
- Artefact: The Oaken Armour 

Battleline
10 x Dryads (100)
10 x Dryads (100)

Units
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (220)
- Scythes

Behemoths
Treelord (240)

Scenery
Sylvaneth Wyldwood (40)
Sylvaneth Wyldwood - Sylvaneth Allegiance (0)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 59
the idea is very simple the Command Trait allows you to ignore the rend up to (-2), the artifact improves the armor in + 1 and the Heed the Spirit-song allows you to repeat the 1s, giving the friend Trelord the mystical shield, you have to Two guys who turn to those points into hell, your enemy? for everyone Tzeentch and his mortals, I know you do not have all the minis I put here, but it's a good idea to list, a greeting

Thanks for all the help everyone, I think I have realised I need to get soon woods befor I my first game but read all the chat in the forum has been very helpful.

Remember that you can't simply "buy" a Wyldwood as any other unit. 

The point cost (which is free for an Allegiance Army) is there only for evocations and "put in play" effects (like if you're allying a TLA in another faction, for example).

Hi guys,

what do you think of Briarsheath vs. The Oaken Armour, in my case specifically on a Branchwych?

I tried to do some small spreadsheet, the result was that against enemies who hit on 4+ Briarsheath is superiour, while both are (statistically) exactly the same against enemies who hit on 3+.

As I am not a big expert in spreadsheets & statistics I just wanted to ask for your opinions, also on the validity of my calculations:

Branchwych Attacks To Hit Hits To Wound Wounds Save Saves Final Wounds
The Oaken Armour 20 4 10,00 4 5,00 4 2,50 2,50
Briarsheath 20 5 6,67 4 3,33 5 1,11

15 hours ago, Craze said:

Hi guys,

what do you think of Briarsheath vs. The Oaken Armour, in my case specifically on a Branchwych?

I tried to do some small spreadsheet, the result was that against enemies who hit on 4+ Briarsheath is superiour, while both are (statistically) exactly the same against enemies who hit on 3+.

As I am not a big expert in spreadsheets & statistics I just wanted to ask for your opinions, also on the validity of my calculations:

Branchwych Attacks To Hit Hits To Wound Wounds Save Saves Final Wounds
The Oaken Armour 20 4 10,00 4 5,00 4 2,50 2,50
Briarsheath 20 5 6,67 4 3,33 5 1,11

I personally think Briarsheath has a slight edge since it effects abilities that have additional effect on a roll of 6 (or something similar). Which means units like skyfires or spirit hosts won't being doing instant wounds on to hit rolls of 6. 

That being said, chances are if your branchwytch in combat she will probably die no matter which you take, since 5 wounds isn't a terribly big cushion to absorb whatever slips through. I personally tend to favor a casting item on my wytch like the Acorn or Ranuu's Lamentiri, and leave the survivability enhancing items for the larger characters (who have better durability anyway.) That way I can either burn a one use item (like the acorn) and take the wytch out of targeting priority (The enemy has no need to shoot at her after she's dropped her forest) or hang back from combat and use the casting item to aid whoever is on the front lines doing the heavy lifting. That way the wytch is more likely to stick around for a couple of turns since I don't have to worry about wounds slipping through due to unlucky rolls. 

@Mirage8112 thanks a lot for your insights.

Of course the Wych is really squishy and not really suited for front line combat, but I am playing in a small 500pt tournament this weekend and there is not much choice for possible commanders in this point range. ;)

I will field the Wych, T-Revs, 10 Dryads and 3 Greatbows and I am just wondering what will be the best setup for my Wych.

As the field is quite small (48x24) and there are already a couple of sceneries on it, there is no need (and space) for additional Wyldwoods apart from the one I can place in the beginning.

I am now just very undecided between 2 "sets" of spells/artifacts:

1. Defensive, including Sheath/Armour, Gnarled Warrior/Gift of Ghyran and possibly Regrowth.

2. Offensive "caster" style, taking Silverwood Circlet, The Reaping and and whatever command trait.

1 hour ago, DantePQ said:

Tried it too with Vortex, not worth it.

With Sylvaneth you need as mich defense as possible I would go with Branchwraith with Briarsheath, Gnarled Warrior and Regrowth if you don't want to get any more Woods, if you do Verdant Blessing is a must. 

When I used it, I tried Ancient, Drycha and 2 Branchwitch. Yep you need to play around magic, and it's expensive in Hero choices. 
But still useful for me, is a good tool for defense.

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 5:01 AM, DantePQ said:

Tried it too with Vortex, not worth it.

With Sylvaneth you need as mich defense as possible I would go with Branchwraith with Briarsheath, Gnarled Warrior and Regrowth if you don't want to get any more Woods, if you do Verdant Blessing is a must. 

I personally like using the Branchwraith as a little combo piece. She's usually overlooked when you have stuff like Hunters/Durthu/Alarielle on the board. 

With Briarsheath she can be a pretty decent support piece. Most of my opponents just ignore her when they hear she's -2 to Hit and +1 Save in a wood which means she sticks around until higher priority targets are dead. I usually have regrowth or verdant blessing as her spell which means she can heal your threat units or increase your board presence with more woods.

I've recently been playing around with her as a horde killer too. Give her Ranu's Lamentiri and Dweller's Below for the spell so she's casting it on a 5 instead of 7. And, unless I'm wrong, the wording of the spell means only one model has to be in range from the target unit. So she's 10 inches away from 40 skeletons and she gets to roll 40 dice; dealing 1 mortal wound per 6+.

15 hours ago, ReverendDangles said:

I personally like using the Branchwraith as a little combo piece. She's usually overlooked when you have stuff like Hunters/Durthu/Alarielle on the board. 

With Briarsheath she can be a pretty decent support piece. Most of my opponents just ignore her when they hear she's -2 to Hit and +1 Save in a wood which means she sticks around until higher priority targets are dead. I usually have regrowth or verdant blessing as her spell which means she can heal your threat units or increase your board presence with more woods.

I've recently been playing around with her as a horde killer too. Give her Ranu's Lamentiri and Dweller's Below for the spell so she's casting it on a 5 instead of 7. And, unless I'm wrong, the wording of the spell means only one model has to be in range from the target unit. So she's 10 inches away from 40 skeletons and she gets to roll 40 dice; dealing 1 mortal wound per 6+.

Yes your reading is correct.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all! I haven’t played for a while but have a huge collection of Sylvaneth and would like to get back into it. Can someone throw a few competitive lists at me from the models I have? 

Allarielle, Spirit of Durthu, 2 Treelord Ancients, 3 Branchwychs, Drycha

80 Dryads, 20 Sprite Revs, 10 Tree Revs, 6 Bow Hunters, 3 ScytheHunters 

Hey guys, quick question.

The "silent communion" ability seems to be removed from the Treelord Anchient in his pdf rules when buying him.

The book, the warscroll cards, and the warscroll if you look at GW ressource state that he still has this abilitie.

Also in the most updated Order FAQ they clarify how "Silent Communion" works.

Is there any errata that removed his ability?

Hi, this is my first post here.

I am currently building up my Sylvaneth force through a local slow-grow league (up to 1000pts). I hope some of you may help me with two questions regarding Sylvaneth.

I am sure the Spite vs Tree-revenant question has been discussed to death in this thread, but I could not be bothered to go through 100+ pages. I have two boxes of Spite/Tree-revenants, and have so far been running a group of 10 Tree-revenants. To my limited experience their mediocre save and bravery means they get very easily wiped out, dryads seem to be the superior choice. But I can see the advantage in the Tree-revenant's mobility, so maybe two groups of 5 would be better? I had initially dismissed the idea of using Spite-revenants, as my force is built around a Treelord Ancient, and won't include Drycha. However, at a second glance, their Whispers in the Dark abillity seem really good when combined with a 2-3 large Wyldwood, unless my opponents i running demons, undead or Seraphon. Perhaps 5 Tree-revenants and 5 Spite-revenants would be the better and more flexible choice, or should I specialize?

My second question is regarding Sylvaneth Wyldwoods. Me and a friend played a friendly 500pts match, and was the first time I got to use Wyldwoods. We both agreed that no models could walk through or land on the trees or the tree's "socket." I then decided to plant my Wyldwood upon the objective, what I thought was a smart move. This would, hillariously enough, cost me the victory. My opponent's hero grabbed the objective and ran away (we made up a mission). My Treelord Ancient could do nothing but stare dumbfounded as my own Wyldwood trees blocked the path to my opponent's hero. I could neither move closer or charge, I would have to go around the entire Wyldwood. And I could not use Spirit Paths, as it explicitly states that I can only move between different Wyldwoods. This was ofcourse fair, as we both agreed that Wyldwoods would work this way. But I want to know if this is the way it should, or normally work? If this is the case I need to be more careful where I place my Wyldwoods in the future. I have heard other stories where they ignore this rule for behemoth models, that they can balance on top of the trees. Is this the case?

Thanks for any helpful replies.

I personally run a single group of 5 in most games. I don't have 10 actually but never wanted to field them either. I always feel I'm lacking dryads to just be wounds on the battlefield though. There have been plenty games for me that those 5 couldn't even do much usefull (when my opponent just leaves 20 of those cheap khorne guys on his backline objective for example.

5 hours ago, Bohemond said:

My second question is regarding Sylvaneth Wyldwoods. Me and a friend played a friendly 500pts match, and was the first time I got to use Wyldwoods. We both agreed that no models could walk through or land on the trees or the tree's "socket." I then decided to plant my Wyldwood upon the objective, what I thought was a smart move. This would, hillariously enough, cost me the victory. My opponent's hero grabbed the objective and ran away (we made up a mission). My Treelord Ancient could do nothing but stare dumbfounded as my own Wyldwood trees blocked the path to my opponent's hero. I could neither move closer or charge, I would have to go around the entire Wyldwood. And I could not use Spirit Paths, as it explicitly states that I can only move between different Wyldwoods. This was ofcourse fair, as we both agreed that Wyldwoods would work this way. But I want to know if this is the way it should, or normally work? If this is the case I need to be more careful where I place my Wyldwoods in the future. I have heard other stories where they ignore this rule for behemoth models, that they can balance on top of the trees. Is this the case?

Thanks for any helpful replies.

I think you are playing it as most here play it (my group actually ignores the trees completely so no problems there). The last thing you mention is correct though I think: EVERY model can climb on EVERY terrain feature if you spend the correct movement (so that would mean climbing up a few inches.. which takes movement.. and climbing down again unless the model is a flier in which case all vertical movement is ignored).. so his hero would be long gone before you'd be out of the woods.. at least that how I interpret that FAQ.

Archived