Let's Chat Sylvaneth

scrubyandwells

I've been kit bashing mine up with Witch Aelf heads and Tree Revenant claw arms over the last few weeks, just need some Tomb Guard helmet crests to add and they will be ready for painting. (If anybody has some spare - let me know!)

The idea is to make them look like mini Alarielles, and I am pretty happy with the results! 

Used them in a small game the other day and they were great. 

Aaron

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Forestreveries said:

I've been kit bashing mine up with Witch Aelf heads and Tree Revenant claw arms over the last few weeks, just need some Tomb Guard helmet crests to add and they will be ready for painting. (If anybody has some spare - let me know!)

That is an amazing idea, and I'm gonna blatantly borrow it for my own unit of Sisters. 

10 hours ago, carrigher82 said:

Can I ask, can you navigate realm roots/ spirit paths a struggling unit out of combat that's in/on a wyldwood?

Yes you can, although there is some debate about what you can do afterwards. My group in Derby came to the conclusion that because you start within 3" of the enemy it becomes a retreat move, meaning you cannot shoot or charge, but I know that @Forestreveries has used it differently in a tournament. Its worth checking with your opponent or the TO how they work it, but no matter what they say it is a legal tactic. 

Here's my draft list. I wouldn't be surprised if it's subconsciously identical to one above:

Gnarlroot Wargrove 80
Household 20
1 Treelord Ancient (General) (Regrowth and Verdurous Harmony) (Briarsheath) 300
1 Branchwych (The Reaping and Verdurous Harmony) (The Silverwood Circlet) 100
5 Tree Revanants 100
1 Loremaster (Verdant Blessing) 100
1 Spirit of Durthu (Briarsheath) 400
20 Dryads 240
10 Dryads 120
6 Kurnoth Hunters (Scythes) 360
3 Kurnoth Hunters (Bows) 180
Total 2000

It's all one drop which is a big plus. The basic idea is to let them go first. The Treelord starts on the baseline and tries to pop out a Wyldwood near the enemy. I'm not sure if as worded the Loremaster counts as a "Wizard in a Sylvaneth Army", keyword-wise he is as he is a Wizard and he is in a Sylvaneth army (conversely Alarielle in a mixed order force definitely doesn't qualify for a lore spell as the army isn't a Sylvaneth Army). If he is, then I take Verdant Blessing on him as backup, to get me some more woods.

Loremaster buffs the hell out of the Spirit of Durthu (including the shooting attack). Mystic shield on the Dryads probably. I send Durthu, the Treelord Ancient, the 20 Dryads, the 6 Hunters and the Branchwraith to the other woods in order to attack the enemy.  Tree Revanants try to take out an artillery piece. Hopefully make some charges in with the Trees and Hunters. Dryads can either sit in cover or attack.

If I win the double turn, then I try to cast summon Balewind Vortex on the Branchwych on a 5+ (fairly easy but not automatic). If this goes off, then it doubles the range of The Reaping to 18 inches (3+6)x2 - so some nice aoe damage. Then i continue to press on with the Trees and Hunters.

Comments welcome.

I like the above list @Nico, you've got briarsheath on twice though so don't know if that was an oversight/typo? I really like the silverwood circlet also, that additional range is so useful but I'd tend to pair that with a regrowth spell to ensure max healing coverage across units. 1, 2 punch with Verdurous Harmony makes a unit a re-gen powerhouse. 

I have three kurnoth units, think they're great. I was playing two bows, one scythe but in everygame I felt like I wasn't getting a good enough pay off from the bows for 360pts. The +4 hit is the killer really making me reliant on damned terrain and this is too circumstantial so I reformed a unit into greatswords. I get that the scythes beat swords overall with range and rend, but for me the kicker, and why I wanted a mix was that guaranteed 2 damage on the sword with extra attack. I just think the extra attack helps the odds in a strong way and no risk of rolling the poor d3s (although the scythes are still bloody awesome).

There's a lot of love for gnarlroot and I'm with that all the way. My build is around magic, especially healing and quick transport around the realm. This is what the Sylvaneth do best. The latter point here, is why I favour t revs over dryads. Again I love the dryads and with buffs they can actually become quite strong and useful but in AoS especially matched play scenarios I think the ability to teleport around woods or with the waypipes is friggin awesome, even if only to mess with an opponent held objective, to contest and block there point scoring for a battleround is useful and t revs can do this well.

I've got a local club league starting up on 7th Sept so I'll submit my list and feedback with summary battle reports as I go, hopefully they'll be useful as there's a real mix of armies/factions in the league to test these Ghyranian warriors out against. 

How effective has everyone found their T Revs to be?

What's the common tactic to playing them? MSU? Large units?

I've been playing with dryad hordes so far but am itching to get a few boxes of the new rev kit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How effective has everyone found their T Revs to be?

What's the common tactic to playing them? MSU? Large units?

I've been playing with dryad hordes so far but am itching to get a few boxes of the new rev kit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm getting mine on Thursday, everything has been sold out here in Australia for a while! Others might be a bit silent on this issue I think because they have already exhausted their experience in comments earlier in the thread, which are really good if you havnt had a chances to read all the thread's pages yet.

I think everyone wants to get out and play a bit more with them at the moment.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, MidasKiss said:

I'm getting mine on Thursday, everything has been sold out here in Australia for a while! Others might be a bit silent on this issue I think because they have already exhausted their experience in comments earlier in the thread, which are really good if you havnt had a chances to read all the thread's pages yet.

I think everyone wants to get out and play a bit more with them at the moment.

Yeah sorry for the lack of follow up recently. Haven't been able to playtest much yet, but hoping to pick back up on our thread soon. Really grateful for the resource we're putting together here.

I need advice to complete this 2000pts list: how would you guys spend the remaining 80pts?

In case I take 4 Hunting Hounds from the Wanderers faction, can I still keep my army under the Sylvaneth Allegiance or am I forced to switch it to the Order Allegiance?

I've read p.156 of the General's Handbook about 10 times and I'm still not convinced about the answer.

Thanks!

Leaders
Spirit of Durthu (400)
- General
- Trait: Gift of Ghyran
- Artefact: Wraithstone
Drycha Hamadreth (280)
Branchwych (100)
- Artefact: The Silverwood Circlet

Units
Dryads x 20 (240)
Tree-Revenants x 5 (100)
Tree-Revenants x 5 (100)
Spite-Revenants x 5 (100)
Kurnoth Hunters x 6 (360)

Batallions
Outcasts (40)

Total: 1920/2000

15 minutes ago, Skarloc said:

I need advice to complete this 2000pts list: how would you guys spend the remaining 80pts?

In case I take 4 Hunting Hounds from the Wanderers faction, can I still keep my army under the Sylvaneth Allegiance or am I forced to switch it to the Order Allegiance?

I've read p.156 of the General's Handbook about 10 times and I'm still not convinced about the answer.

Thanks!

Leaders
Spirit of Durthu (400)
- General
- Trait: Gift of Ghyran
- Artefact: Wraithstone
Drycha Hamadreth (280)
Branchwych (100)
- Artefact: The Silverwood Circlet

Units
Dryads x 20 (240)
Tree-Revenants x 5 (100)
Tree-Revenants x 5 (100)
Kurnoth Hunters x 6 (360)

Batallions
Outcasts (40)

Total: 1920/2000

You would be forced to switch to Order Allegiance unfortunately.

If you dropped 10 dryads you could get another unit of Kurnoth and Free Spirits battalion (which is super strong). 

That would be my suggestion. 

Aaron

34 minutes ago, Pompe said:

Would that not make it 2020 points?

Yeah I think you're right actually. 

Dammit. 

Then perhaps drop the 10 Dryads for another unit of Spite Revenants and Dreadwood Wargrove?

that should help to turn the Spite Revenants on a little and really take the list where it seems you're wanted to go with it (the outcast route).

Aaron

How about this:

Spirit of Durthu
- General
- Trait: Realm Walker
- Artefact: Briarsheath

Branchwych
- Artefact: The Achorn of ages

Tree-Revenants x 5 (100)
Tree-Revenants x 5 (100)
Kurnoth Hunters x 3, Greatbows (180)
Kurnoth Hunters x 3, Greatbows (180)
Kurnoth Hunters x 6, Scythes (360)
Outcasts (40)
Free Spirits (40)
Dreadwood (100)

Roll your D3 on the Dreadwood chart and always choose the "re-deploy" ability as number 1 and "move three units" as number  two.Put your free wood somewhere in the middle of the map, try to cover as much ground as possible so you get close to both sides and then.

1. Deploy everything turn 1.

2. Put up your free wood with the achorn within 3" of as much of your army as possible.

3. Use your "move three units as if it was the movement turn" with "Navigate realm roots", eg 2 units of Spite-Revenants and Durthu. On a 4+ Durthu can then make a normal move in the movement phase.

4. Re-deploy your 6 Kurnoth hunters with scythes where you see fit (close to some nice target).

5. In your movement phase, move Durthuand the 2 units of Spite Revenants that teleported if possible. Use Navigate on the rest of your army (as you see fit).

6. Redeploy your Tree-Revenants using their Waypipes

7. Shoot stuff.

8. Charge stuff.

9. Prosper?

I've been planning a list with the Dreadwood Wargrove as its core like the above, mainly because the autowin reduce range to 12 inches for the enemy against Thundertusks and gunlines. However, the requirement for 4 units Spite Revenants is just devastatingly bad. It's adding 4 units of unmitigated junk in my view (how are they the same cost as Executioners - painful) on top of the already expensive battleline requirement. Of the armies I'm worried about, Bonesplitterz are the only one where bravery is going to matter. I feel that a Treelord Ancient is almost mandatory in the army since he can summon woods and has a command ability, but could not fit him in plus Hunters plus a beatstick like Durthu.

Another problem with the automove a unit (ideally this would be Alarielle next to a crowded MSU hill) nearby ability is that it more or less forces you to take the first turn to do an alpha strike, when half of the benefit of the single drop army is to give them the first turn and double turn them. 

3. Use your "move three units as if it was the movement turn" with "Navigate realm roots", eg 2 units of Spite-Revenants and Durthu. On a 4+ Durthu can then make a normal move in the movement phase.

Is there a problem here in that at this stage of the game (after deployment but before the first battleround), there's only a single Sylvaneth Wildwood on the table (the one from the Battle Trait) and you cannot teleport to the same one using Navigate Realm Roots. 

Ok here's my next attempt at a Sylvaneth list:

Winterleaf Wargrove

Forest Folk

1 Branchwraith (The Reaping and Verdurous Harmony) (The Silverwood Circlet)

10 Dryads

10 Dryads

10 Dryads

10 Dryads

1 Lord Celestant on Stardrake (The Oaken Armour)

1 Treelord Ancient (Regrowth, Gnarled Warrior, Briarsheath)

6 Kurnoth Hunters (Bows)

It does pain me to take such small units of Dryads, but they can at least teleport around once in the hero phase.  4 units is required by the Winterleaf Wargrove.

On the plus side, this keeps Sylvaneth Allegiance as the Stardrake is an Order Unit. He will give me some much needed ranged threat alongside the archers and can shred artillery crew with a little luck. He will be a complete tank with a 2+ save rerolling ones and firing off aoe mortal wounds when he rerolls saves and makes them. 

The overall plan will be to stick woods on all the objectives and put units of Dryads onto them, then hope that the enemy is sufficiently softened up that it can hold when they arrive. The concern would be limited melee punch although the Dryads are exploding attacks on a 6 to hit.

The Branchwraith bomb can still work as discussed above. It can teleport with the Forest Folk formation. The Ancient will stand in the wood and put out mortal wounds with his spell.

The alternative is to take a larger unit of 20 Dryads and switch the Stardrake for a Carmine Dragon - he's more of a beatstick against elite units and heroes with the 3 -3 rend attacks, whereas the Stardrake can literally munch its way through blocks of troops - and 3 wound Brutes at a 4+ to eat!

Archived