Let's Chat Sylvaneth

scrubyandwells

Hi guys! I know that this is an old question but...there's some legal new about that? 

Can I remove the trees of a Wyldwood during the game, or not?

Is there any faq upgrade that I missed? And I was curious: how it works in GW official tournaments? What is their guideline? Because I know that there's one old topic on the WH Community that says (basically) "no, you can't" but it's not enough for me.

How they makes them works in official tournaments?

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys, i'm going to start a "path to glory" campaign with my friends. I have to decide what to begin with, in case you do not know how it works i have to decide a general between spirit of durthu and treelord ancient and this will be my hero for all the adventure, then i can add some units using some points, i have 1 point if i choose durthu and 2 if i choose TLA; dryads, tree-rev, spite-rev and branch costs 1 point, kurnoth and treelord costs 2 points. After evry game i will recieve 1 or 2 points depending in the game to increase my army. In any case if i choose a general i will not be able to pick the other one for the rest of the adventure. So the question is, durthu or TLA? Durthu is strong of course and he will help me to kill other general easily, but TLA would bring me re-roll 1's on save, the ability to bring more woods and magic (regrowth!). What do you think?

P.s. No artifact or command traits are allowed

29 minutes ago, Axter said:

Hi guys, i'm going to start a "path to glory" campaign with my friends. I have to decide what to begin with, in case you do not know how it works i have to decide a general between spirit of durthu and treelord ancient and this will be my hero for all the adventure, then i can add some units using some points, i have 1 point if i choose durthu and 2 if i choose TLA; dryads, tree-rev, spite-rev and branch costs 1 point, kurnoth and treelord costs 2 points. After evry game i will recieve 1 or 2 points depending in the game to increase my army. In any case if i choose a general i will not be able to pick the other one for the rest of the adventure. So the question is, durthu or TLA? Durthu is strong of course and he will help me to kill other general easily, but TLA would bring me re-roll 1's on save, the ability to bring more woods and magic (regrowth!). What do you think?

I'd go TLA and then build yourself a horde of hunters (though that might not be the best way to build a matched play army and after the campaign  they will remain unused.

5 hours ago, Axter said:

I would take TLA no question. Durthu drops off very quickly if he gets wounded, and his offense is really dependent on him being near a wyldwood. 

9 hours ago, swarmofseals said:

I would take TLA no question. Durthu drops off very quickly if he gets wounded, and his offense is really dependent on him being near a wyldwood. 

And his command ability and spellcasting.. His spell can do decent damage.

5 hours ago, MayItBe said:

Edit:

Liam (4th) played 5th game on stream, and he played Dreadwood list with 6 hunters and allarielle.

Hey man,

that was Matt Robertson with dread wood as he borrowed my army.

liam took double dryad sisters of the thorn. :) 

51 minutes ago, Lez said:

Hey man,

that was Matt Robertson with dread wood as he borrowed my army.

liam took double dryad sisters of the thorn. :) 

How did he got double dryad sisters of the thorn with 400 points of alliance ? Tournament houserules ? 

I believe @Liam had: 

• Treelord Ancient (Regrowth + Gnarled Warrior? + Oaken Armour?)
  • Branchwych (Verdant Blessing)
  • 30 Dryads
  • 30 Dryads
  • 5 Tree-Revenants
  • 3 Kurnoth Scythes
  • 3 Kurnoth Scythes
  • 3 Kurnoth Bows
  • 5 Sisters of the Thorn

The only ally in there = Sisters of the Thorn. 

10 hours ago, scrubyandwells said:

I believe @Liam had: 

• Treelord Ancient (Regrowth + Gnarled Warrior? + Oaken Armour?)
  • 30 Dryads
  • 30 Dryads
  • 5 Tree-Revenants
  • 3 Kurnoth Scythes
  • 3 Kurnoth Scythes
  • 3 Kurnoth Bows
  • 5 Sisters of the Thorn

The only ally in there = Sisters of the Thorn. 

I can confirm this was my list. And will likely be my list until new year. Albeit slow it is very fun!

So it seems like  Dreadwood is the new hype so I thought I'd jump straight on to the bandwagon.  Looking through this thread it looks like the Dreadwood + Alarielle can only be built pretty much one way since you need the 4x5 Spites for the battalion and at least 20 dryads  (preferably 30) to camp objectives and then you have the choice of what flavour of hunters you want. The same seems t be true for the Deradwood + Drycha + TLA-list. Now both list look like fun and since I suck at competative warhammer having Alarielle in the army as a center piece really appeals to me. The Drycha list appears to be the more competative one, but i dreamt up another list that, at face value, would have a hard time with duality of death but having 12 hunters must be good right? have a look and tell me what you think, is it viable? I should add that I can run pretty much any of the three lists as soon as i build and paint 20 spites.

Dreadwood2xHunters.pdf

On 10/10/2017 at 10:43 AM, Liam Cook said:

I can confirm this was my list. And will likely be my list until new year. Albeit slow it is very fun!

Hi Liam! Congratulations on the tournament!  I'm a bit confused about this list, is it about bunkering the 2x30 dryads on objectives and buff them with MS and Sisters of the thorn's spell?

Wouldn't you mind to explain a little bit of the basic strategy of your list?

Thank you in advance!

On 10/7/2017 at 4:17 AM, Cerve said:

Hi guys! I know that this is an old question but...there's some legal new about that? 

Can I remove the trees of a Wyldwood during the game, or not?

Is there any faq upgrade that I missed? And I was curious: how it works in GW official tournaments? What is their guideline? Because I know that there's one old topic on the WH Community that says (basically) "no, you can't" but it's not enough for me.

How they makes them works in official tournaments?

As far as I know, you cannot move the trees on a Wyldwood as they  are considered unmovable objects just like larger pieces of terrain / scenery. A model may pass through the wyldwood as long as its base can fit between the trees. I have not seen any errata on this issue though, so my info could be out dated. 

1 hour ago, RotCleaver said:

As far as I know, you cannot move the trees on a Wyldwood as they  are considered unmovable objects just like larger pieces of terrain / scenery. A model may pass through the wyldwood as long as its base can fit between the trees. I have not seen any errata on this issue though, so my info could be out dated. 

And you can climb trees and stand on the leaves (if there are leaves .. I do think it's allowed to not put them on there).

So I played a practise game with the Drycha+TLA list against mixed order with mainly free people in scorched earth. Got the first turn and 2 strategems. Teleported 6 Hunters into 30 greatswords, drycha moved up in the middle with TLA crawling behind, had 30 dryads in a wood on my middle objective and 5 spites on each one of my side objectives. Now Drycha was enraged and hit 7 units with the flitterfuries averaging 2.5 mortal wounds on each then charged and whiffed her attacks against a hurricanum.... 1 wound from slashing talons and 1 from the other attacks. The hunters also whiffed somewhat, I think I killed a total of 7 greatswords with 5 hunters swinging the 6th swung into a great cannon and finished it off. Drycha died in the followung turn and the hunters ground on against the greatswords. In my second turn I teleported 10 spites into a wyldwood in the center of the board and got the charges of against the middle objective held by 4 liberators, exelcior priest and hurricanum. Did not manage to kill enough liberators and got killed back. The hunters killed the last greatswords but the last hunter standing got killed by a freeguild general. My TLA killed him in my 3rd round (got the double) I burned the objective and got 1 point :P after that it went down hill ended up losing 15-13 and only having my dryads left hand having killed 30 greatswords and 1 cannon. 

Thinking back I should have left the greatswords alone and gone into the 10 liberators on the left flank since they would have done less damage back to my hunters. I should also have put regrowth on my TLA instead of Drycha but all in all it was a fun game and I really like how the list plays. I'm going to keep playing this list and try and get the hang of it and hopefully try some variations of it. Mainly the 2x6 hunters one I posted earlier (thank god for friends who let you proxy :) )

6 hours ago, RotCleaver said:

Here's how I ruled it personally in the Wellsian Wars Player's Pack, attached, but others might house rule/play it differently. 

Screen Shot 2017-10-11 at 4.04.31 PM.png

On 11/10/2017 at 3:01 PM, Walkirriox said:

Hi Liam! Congratulations on the tournament!  I'm a bit confused about this list, is it about bunkering the 2x30 dryads on objectives and buff them with MS and Sisters of the thorn's spell?

Wouldn't you mind to explain a little bit of the basic strategy of your list?

Thank you in advance!

I would probably suggest just watching the stream game. I don't have a 'strategy' that is cemented, the list is selected as each of the pieces can work well with each other and separately (to a degree).

I try and play it so that I'm constantly making my opponent make tough choices and capitalise on when they make the bad choices, or I have good luck. I usually plan what I'm doing at the table for each game.

Sorry it's not a more: 'I do this, I do that' answer, but I like sylvaneth cause they aren't like that. Good luck in your games!

Hi, about the problem of the tree in the wyldwood, did anyone know how they play with wyldwood in the warhammer world GT? Did they remove them? Did you have a stream of a game with a sylvaneth army (a link maybe)? I would like to know how to play it

There's been a lot of debate here about the dread wood list. I've been playing a list very, very similar to what @Mirage8112 posted a few pages back (sorry Frank - just realized now that I never replied; my strategy for starstrike is to lose...). Branchwraith general, regular treelord, 6 scythes, Drycha, 30 dryads and the spites, more or less. 

Just came home from a one day-tournament where the list performed really well and by now I've played it at least 15 times. I really like the dread wood list; it's fun to play, flexible and can counter some of the top builds. But after every game there's this feeling I can't shake: do I need the dread wood battalion? 

We pay a very hefty amount of points for the battalion (including the spites it's a minimum 610 points!!). The first games I played I played the list very offensive, hurling the hunters and/or Drycha across the table. Now, I find myself playing it more defensively, perhaps using the re-deploy to get an objective, or more often than not choosing the third stratagem. While these effects are great I keep thinking that most of them I'd be able to achieve either with any kind of one-drop list, or just by using the basic strategies of a Sylvaneth army. 

What I really like about the dread wood experiment is that I've learned to live without the TLA as the general. Of course I aslo really like what the battalion brings, but I'm still unconvinced if it's worth all those points. 600-isch points could give me 6 more hunters and points to spare. Or a Spirit of Durthu and some tree revenants. Etc. 

I'm gonna keep playing the list further but I find myself looking more and more at other kind of lists.

Archived