Let's Chat Sylvaneth

scrubyandwells

A Sylvaneth Wyldwood is made of 1-3 Citadel wood bases.

All have to be placed within 1" of each other, so can't string them out in a line anymore.

Each Citadel wood base consists of 3 removable tree's which should really be placed in to check for LoS blocking and only removed when moving units to make things easier.

Hope this helps bud

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Walkirriox said:

Hi! I have a question about how Sylvaneth Wyldwoods work... When you set up a Sylvaneth Wyldwood you use 3 citadel woods... But what is a citadel wood? The whole base with 3 trees or just one tree? One more thing, in the case that one Sylvaneth wyldwood is 3 bases (9 trees in total), the first you place and the next you set up with Acorn or summoning are the same? Or the others are just 1 base (3 trees)? I'm a bit confused about that.

Thank you in advance!

A Sylvaneth Wildwood consist of up to 3 Citadel Woods, that means that when you are placing a Sylvaneth Wildwood you can place 1, 2 or 3 Citadel Woods (a Citadel woods is a single base).

Hi guys o've spent some time on doing lists..what do you think? :) We usually play at 1.5 with 2 battlelines
-------------------------------------------------
List 1
Treelord Ancient  General - 300
Branchwych - 80

Tree Revenants x5 Battleline - 80
Dryads x 10 Battleline - 100

Kurnoth Hunters x6  Bows - 440
Kurnoth Hunters x3  Scythe - 220

Household - 70
Gnarlroot - 180

1470/1500

List 2 
Branchwych - 80
Branchwych - 80

Dryads x 30 Battleline - 270

Kurnoth Hunters x6  Bows - 440

Household - 70
Gnarlroot - 180

1500/1500

List 3 

Dryads x 20 Battleline - 200 

6 kurnoth hunters x 6 Bow = 440 
6 kurnoth hunters x 6 Scythe = 440 

1460/1500

List 4 
Durthu - 400
Branchwych - 80
Loremaster - 100

Dryads x30 Battleline - 270 

Household - 70
Gnarlroot - 180

1480/1500

10 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

I think the non gnarlroot list is best, I doubt you can get enough benefit from gnarlroot for its points on 2K points but I'm pretty sure you can't suffer the loss of 250 points in models in 1500 points.

mmmh but at the same time is the less efficient list in terms of point usage

On ‎30‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 9:53 AM, Ian R said:

is it correct that Drycha can choose her missile weapon before each game, Flitterfuries or Squirmlings, in a tournament situation?   I think I read something like this on this thread, apologies to author I can't find it now.   I am playing in Blackout this weekend and this choice would be great, but I want to be sure it is normal practice.  Thanks. 

On ‎30‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 3:25 PM, scrubyandwells said:

I'd check with @Chris Tomlin. Not sure whether there's an established standard. Best of luck at the event. May you slay many Bloodletters! 

What was the conclusion on this?  Are TOs ruling you can choose each game or is a fixed choice?

On 22/9/2017 at 1:05 AM, Axter said:

Treelord Ancient: General, Gnarled Warrior, Briarsheath, Spell: Verdant Blessing

Spirit of Durthu: Oaken Armour

Branchwych: Ranu' s Lamentiri, Spell: Regrowth

Tree-Revenants x5

Dryads x10

Dryads x10

Kurnoth Hunters x3 (Greatbows)

Kurnoth Hunters x3 (Greatbows)

Treelord

Battalion: Gnarlroot Wargrove, Household

As i said i tried this list with a friends, i'll try to report the match with my bad english. He was playing tzeentch in particular a lord of change, 2 tzangor shaman, 1 blue scribes, 2 units of 10 kairic acolytes, 1 unit of 6 tzaangor elightened  on disc, 3 units of 3 tzaangor skyfires and 1 unit of 10 pink horror. The scenary was double death (not sure if it's the right name), the one with 2 objectives on the central line that just a hero or a behemoths can control. I put my sylvaneth wildwood on the objective on my left. I was having first turn for sure, so i setted kurnoth dryads and treelord in the sylvaneth path ready to be on the objective in my first moviment fase. With the treelord ancient i casted verdant blessing in my terrytory, the he and the branchwych had run to the objective to help defendig, while Durthu moved in the sylvaneth that the treelord ancient had just summoned. In the shooting fase i menage to clean up clean up the unit of pink horror and half unit of Acolyte (the only thing i can reach). In his first turn he takes the other objective with the blue scribes and move tzaangor enlightened on front of it to defend, the lord of change and skyfire stayed in his territory shooting me with arrow and magic bolt, dealing 4 damage to a kurnoth and killing 3 dryads (with the cover bonus and mistic shield on kurnoth with the re-roll  of one thanks to the general hitting kurnoth was impossible for him, just mortal wound of skyfires hit them). He get closer   to my unit  preferred not charge feared by the woods.

I won the roll for the turn and decided to go first. Treelord ancient moved closer to his territory and cast verdant blessing allowing me to put a wildwood right in his territory close to his units, so durthu, treelord and treelord ancient just get teleported in there, and durthu also gets  a 6 on the roll so he could still move after that. Also tree revenant get teleported there close tho the edge of the table. Shooting fase i killed what remain of the acolytes with treelord  and treelord ancient ranged attack and kurnoth killed one units of skyfires. Then i charged the other unit of acolytes with 10 my driads, durthu and the revenant menaged to charge 2 unit of skyfires. One of them get wiped from durthu, while the revenants killed one model from the other unit, just 2 tree revenant die. The fight between dryads and acolyte end with a 2 for 2. His turn, lord of change decide to show his magical skills and with the help of the blue scribes menage to do 12 mortal wound to durthu one-shotting him (never expected all that damage from spells, my bad) then he move it close to treelord and  treelord ancient. The 2 Skyfire can't run away from tree revenant thanks to household ability, but menage to kill one by shooting (really lucky roll for me). Tzaangor enlightened move in direction of my objective but did not charge (thanks wildwood!) while lord of change charge my treelord starting an intresting combat ended with 4 wounds for the lord of change and 3 for the treelord. Meanwhile the tree revenant killed another skyfire but get wiped.

At the start of the 3rd round we were 3 to 3 in victory points, and he won the roll for the turn, starting it. Lord of change use his spells another time hurting my treelord ancient with 8 mortal wound (he was hoping to one shot him like he did with durthu) and one of the shaman use a spell to bring back 2 skyfire of the last unit remaining, then he move with tzaangor enlightened to my treelord and treelord ancient and charge them (avoiding me to charge lord of change with the ancient in my turn). In the combat fase my treelord ancient show his immortality (save 2+ thanks to mistyc shield, re-roll 1, -1 to hit (-2 with stomp) and ignore rend -1) avoiding evry wound while treelord get 5 wounds from lord of change giving him 4 wound back. His double turn hurts, but now it's my time. After an hero fase in wich 3 of my spells get dispelled easy (just mistyc shield pass) and a movement fase in wich i did not move it come the shooting fase: kurnoth menaged to kill lord of change and the 2 treelord killed 2 skyfires. In combat i rolled very bad and failed evry roll for the 2  big tree, while the tzaangor killed the treelord. Meanwhile the combat between dryads  and acolitye  was going on slowly with 2 or 3 death from both units.

Next round i lose again the roll and he start. Without lord of change his hero fase wasn't scary at all, just some shield casted by the shaman. The unit of skyfire with their shaman move in position to shoot my kurnoth (branchwych was hiding behind them while controlling the objective so he could not shoot her) , giving 4 wounds to one kurnoth. In Combat fase he try to kill the ancient but once again my beloved hero avoid all the damage, while my remaining dryads wiped his acolyte. My turn now, the ancient after mistic shield and awakening the woods giving some wound to the tzaangor use the spirit path to get away from them (branchwych also use regrowth on him, rolling 6 on the d6 for the heal so he turn back to 2 wounds only). In shooting fase kurnoth and and treelord ancient menaged to kill 2 skyfire leaving just one alive with the shaman at his side (i couldn't focus the shaman couse  he was hiding behind the tzaangor), then all my remaining dryads charge them, but in combat fase they just give 2 wounds at the shaman while losing 4 dryads.

Blue scribes and brancwych never moved from their objective, so we have 10 points each at the start of the last round. He won again the roll (yes, 3 times in a row) and take first move. The shaman bring back one more time 2 skyfire from the underworld, then he decides to charge my kurnoth (trying to reach branchwych in the space between two kurnoth models) with the 4 tzaangor enlightened losing 2 of them in the charge thanks to the wildwood. In the combat fase i killed the 2 remaining and his skyfires leave my 2 unit of dryads with 2 models each. When my last turn start the game was basically won, i killed 2 of the skyfire (again) with shooting and dryads, while 2 dryad survive (one for unit).

Conclusion? Victory points: 15 to 15, but i won for army points. It was a really fun game, we both had a lot of fun playing.

Sorry for the long post and my bad english. I hope you find it usefull!

Hello guys, 

I come back here after a few tests, especially against a friend who is playing Tzeentch.

I read a lot of comments here complaining about Tzeentch and mortal wounds. 

Well, I think the key is to stay out of reach of their spells as far as possible (more than 18''), to refuse confrontations until you damage a lot his troops (his heroes...) with your shooting. If he plays a lot of shooting, just play with covers and take objectives.

Here are my lists (1k5 et 2k) at the moment with my tests (polyvalent against all I think) :

1k5 list :

image.png.5e0628ca34ec97c40324e750885b401e.png

2k list :

image.png.d15f08d311453bf560ef09a9476357f9.png

Don't hesitate to comment.

Asu

Both seem like solid lists, I'd leave the gnarlroot myself and take more dryads I think.. but solid anyway. You'd also have to drop the loremaster for the waywatcher again,. but that isn't too bad. But that is just me being cautious about spending points on a batallion and preferring a bit more bodies (and of I don't really like the revenants either so I'd replace one unit of them and the houshold for a total of 2x20 dryads. 

34 minutes ago, ledha said:

Can you remove the tree from a sylvaneth wildwood to make place for units ?

I think the best way to approach this is discuss with your opponent or TO

i recently played a tournament at my local store and non of my opponents were bothered

5 hours ago, ledha said:

My experience has mostly been no - you need to pile-in as the terrain allows. Can you remove a hill because you don't want to climb it, or a house because you'd like to see through it?

EDIT - I originally posted an army list in this space, but changed the post to below.

Hello Team Sylvaneth

I am looking to revamp my Sylvaneth army, but probably from a different angle than most. I am a tournament organizer and I need a fast playing army that is fun for opponents to play against and has a ton of flavor.  Pretty much, an army that is more fun to play against than getting a bye, but still allows for the game to finish quickly so I can attend to TO duties towards the end of the round.

I am also looking for army list suggestions meeting the above critera (Fast to play, fun to play against).  Thanks!

21 hours ago, Freejack02 said:
On 9/24/2017 at 12:19 PM, ledha said:

My experience has mostly been no - you need to pile-in as the terrain allows. Can you remove a hill because you don't want to climb it, or a house because you'd like to see through it?

It seem like its up to the players how they wish to handle it. Im my game so far, the position I've adopted is that the tree's are "climbable" (as per the FAQ). The trees are fiddly to place models around, so I do remove them from the woods, but it takes extra movement to move into the "holes" to represent the models climbing into and out of the trees. 

For example, to move model's base completely into a circle costs an extra 4" of movement. To move out costs an additional 4", and it costs 8" of movement to move directly across a circle. Something with a big base, like a Stonehorn will have to use extra movement if their base obscures more than 1/2 of a hole during any movement they wish to make.

Seems like a fair compromise. So far I haven't had any complaints.

2 minutes ago, Mirage8112 said:

It seem like its up to the players how they wish to handle it. Im my game so far, the position I've adopted is that the tree's are "climbable" (as per the FAQ). The trees are fiddly to place models around, so I do remove them from the woods, but it takes extra movement to move into the "holes" to represent the models climbing into and out of the trees. 

For example, to move model's base completely into a circle costs an extra 4" of movement. To move out costs an additional 4", and it costs 8" of movement to move directly across a circle. Something with a big base, like a Stonehorn will have to use extra movement if their base obscures more than 1/2 of a hole during any movement they wish to make.

Seems like a fair compromise. So far I haven't had any complaints.

So that would restrict pile-ins, but not completely shut out movement from larger bases... I like it. I'll try it out next time my trees want to stretch their legs. 

Had a game Saturday where a Maw-Krusha wanted to smush his way into a forest, and I allowed the removal of one tree. I like a movement "climb" penalty better. 

2 minutes ago, Freejack02 said:

So that would restrict pile-ins, but not completely shut out movement from larger bases... I like it. I'll try it out next time my trees want to stretch their legs. 

Exactly. It also makes a lot easier to get 30 dryads + characters and a support unit in a forest. I'm considering modeling a wyldwood tree with a bunch of dryads on it, sprawling out cross the limbs. Basically creating two "tiers" stacking dryads on top of each other. GW ruled the models can climb trees, so its reasonable to say they'd be able to get out on the branches. With a  2" attack range, they shouldn't have any problem attacking either. Them you can just measure straight down from the model, remove the tree and place regular models where the dryads would land. 

Maybe it's more trouble than it's worth, but I think it would look cool xD

6 minutes ago, Freejack02 said:

Had a game Saturday where a Maw-Krusha wanted to smush his way into a forest, and I allowed the removal of one tree. I like a movement "climb" penalty better. 

Me too. In the previous games I played, we agreed that trees were immovable and blocked movement. Managed to pin a stonehorn in and it felt a bit too "gamey". This at least gives them the ability to get in and out, but not without considerable difficulty. Pretty much what you'd expect in reality. 

On 9/24/2017 at 9:33 PM, Nick Dicehammer said:

EDIT - I originally posted an army list in this space, but changed the post to below.

Hello Team Sylvaneth

I am looking to revamp my Sylvaneth army, but probably from a different angle than most. I am a tournament organizer and I need a fast playing army that is fun for opponents to play against and has a ton of flavor.  Pretty much, an army that is more fun to play against than getting a bye, but still allows for the game to finish quickly so I can attend to TO duties towards the end of the round.

I am also looking for army list suggestions meeting the above critera (Fast to play, fun to play against).  Thanks!

Hi @Nick Dicehammer, in terms of your Q/requirements,  are you looking for a sylvaneth army/list that takes the edge off quite a bit? That is, an army/list that most opponents would be able to defeat, and would be able to defeat relatively quickly? Or are you looking for an army/list that could defeat, say, 50% of opponents quickly? 

On 9/24/2017 at 5:29 AM, Asu said:

2k list :

image.png.d15f08d311453bf560ef09a9476357f9.png

Yep I'm a fan of this list, in principle at least. I haven't been able to play much in GH17 yet and test out whether sylvaneth can compete sufficiently well with low model count (particularly vs tough opponents and in Total Conquest and Battle for the Pass). The hope, though, is that a list like the above is capable of competing at tournaments. 

One Q is whether you'll face many 1- or 2-drop armies that could also kill the Branchwych before you have a chance to use the Acorn. I suspect you'll be fine, but I know e.g. Changehost can do 1- or 2-drop, and could potentially reach the Branchwych in a couple different ways in the first turn (e.g. Balewind on the line + e.g. 36" Bolt of Tzeentch range, or deploying Changeling within 18" of Branchwych and then swapping Changeling with Lord of Change to Infernal Gateway the Branchwych, and then running the Lord of Change back toward their deployment zone in the movement phase). 

On 9/23/2017 at 6:19 AM, Jak Shadow said:

What was the conclusion on this?  Are TOs ruling you can choose each game or is a fixed choice?

Hi @Jak Shadow, I'd definitely recommend always assuming you have to choose either Drycha's Squirmlings or Flitterfuries for the whole tournament, rather than choosing game by game. They have missile weapon profiles, so in that regard they're the equivalent of equipment options, which of course are almost always fixed for an army list at a tournament, rather than changing equipment options from game to game.  Good luck with Drycha, would love to hear how things go as you get games in. 

On 9/23/2017 at 6:08 AM, Lanoss said:

Any tips against the dirty dirty Tzeentch builds?

just played one of the most UN-fun games of Sigmar to date... just watched him remove whole units a turn and couldn't make a dent in his army

DAMN DESTINY DICE! 

Hey @Lanoss, as you might've heard, Shaun and I chatted about this a little on the last S&W podcast, and @Asu covered similar thoughts in his recent post. All else equal, against top Tzeentch lists, I think we do have to try and play the long game, which requires reasonable long-range threat in order to harm them while staying out of 18" range of their magic (of course, it seems like most Tzeentch players are bringing a Balewind, but that's another instance where we need long-range shooting to kill any Balewind Wizard).

Definitely play Tzeentch as much as you can and experiment with different approaches. For example, maybe if your opponent only has one "1" in her Destiny Dice pool (or none), try focusing on their chaff early game rather than the traditional targets (Lord of Change, Tzaangor Shaman, Blue Scribes, Herald of Tzeentch, et al.). It's probably a bad idea, but who knows (personally, I've never tried it...the big chickens and mortal-wound-spam Wizards always seem to warrant attention...).

I'm hopeful @Mirage8112 or someone else with Dreadwood can manage to do well vs a good Tzeentch player with one of their top lists, and then share with the rest of us how the hell they did it (we can theory all day but of course we ultimately need to see things on the table with the right conditions (i.e., it needs to be versus a player who knows what they're doing, they need to be playing a strong Tzeentch build, etc.). I'm still pretty skeptical Dreadwood lists can compete against them, but would love to be proven wrong. 

They've been the most frustrating army to play against in AoS, and it seems like a lot of armies have a similar experience against them. I'm hoping to do a show soon with a top Tzeentch player about ways to counter them, but for us in particular with our low-model count and lack of mortal wound protection, yeah it's a pain in the ---, no way around it. Most Tzeentch players with strong lists seem to have no problem handling sylvaneth, but who knows, maybe we just haven't sufficiently cracked the equation yet. 

On 9/23/2017 at 5:15 AM, vesco said:

mmmh but at the same time is the less efficient list in terms of point usage

Agree with @Aezeal: Gnarlroot and other battalions seem tough to take in 2K, and doubly so in 1.5K. I like the look of Ancient, 20 Dryads, 5 TRevs, 6 Scythes, and 6 Bows. It could struggle in Duality of Death, so you might swap one of the 3 Kurnoth for a Treelord. 

Archived