Stories of the Awesome

I know, I come up as salty to most people around here. And with the new edition incoming, there seems to be rift between those that are happy and those that are not. So in spirit of lighting the mood. I think we should talk about awesome stuff the community does. I wish for us to share those stories, and remember why we are doing the whole hobby stuff. And  I will say this is inspired by something that happened to me today.

Today I was sitting at our store, doing my best impression of a gargoyle sitting in the sun. When the store owners wife came to me and handed me a box. Inside there were a ton of models, more or less 3 halfs of the old SCE starter sets. She gave me them to me, and said that everyone knew I wasn't having much fun the few months, but coming every day to the store, and that they are planing to make the new store army out of the new starters and that they don't need the models anymore. I managed to get out a thank you, and then sat with the opened box for like an hour or so, stuned.

Haha I had a similar (if lesser) story.

I've recently moved cities for work (an 8 hour drive away).  I've left behind my beloved wife and child (temporarily, they will be joining me soon) and beloved Warhammer club (permanently, but I'm still part of the active WhatsApp chat and banter) and FLGS.

I have a new club, and a new FLGS.  My previous club was an exclusive AoS group, and my new club is heavily 40k (which I don't care about), so most weeks I end up just painting and enjoying the fellowship.  About the 3rd week, one of the store staff handed me a store-branded tape measure and gave me a warm welcome and it felt really nice.

Great topic!

So with 2.0 i was really upset about no real change to the High Elf factions, but my local community helped me assemble a playable army with the stuff i got, so i am less salty !

I think i also contribute by sparing old but hard to come by models i had (brettonia and skaven) to players that actively play those armies!

(apologize for any wrong words as english isnt my main language)

I run a small gaming club. We put a lot of focus on bringing new people into the hobby. I make trades online and coordinate within the community to gather up minis, books, and supplies, and then give away starter armies, or even full-blown complete armies, to those new players who might otherwise struggle financially to get into the game.

The whole "stone soup" community approach has worked really well. It's pretty amazing how generous people are willing to be.

We also support a guy we know with charitable donations of gaming materials. He's a teacher, who runs an after-school program for at-risk kids who might otherwise spend their time on the street until their parents get home from work. And he does this through gaming. It's not limited to AOS, but they do play that as well. 

This guy is my personal hero. He runs the program on his own 5 days a week after school, volunteering to do it, and funds it out of his own pocket. There's like 20 or 30 kids involved. It's pretty awesome to be able to help out with something so worthwhile.

:)

Agreed.  We heard about this guy Brandon (the teacher) and decided to reach out to lend a hand. It's all well & good for us to support one another within the hobby community, but he's helping care for kids, doing something actually worthwhile. It's pretty awesome. People who do that, without expecting anything in return, are exactly the people who deserve something in return.

Archived