Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Welcome Guest!

Join us now to get access to all our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, and so, so much more. It's also quick and totally free, so what are you waiting for?

Recommended Posts

Also I might be tempted by trying this list:

- arch-warlock general - overseer of destruction

- warlock engineer - vigordust

- warlock engineer - vigordust

- Verminlord Warpseer - ally

- clan skryre battallion:

- Gascloud: 3 stormfiends, 2*5 acolytes, 3 poisoned wind mortars

- Gascloud: 3 stormfiends, 2*5 acolytes, 3 poisoned wind mortars

Total: 2000

 

But how do you think the atormfiends should be equipped?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Num said:

Also I might be tempted by trying this list:

- arch-warlock general - overseer of destruction

- warlock engineer - vigordust

- warlock engineer - vigordust

- Verminlord Warpseer - ally

- clan skryre battallion:

- Gascloud: 3 stormfiends, 2*5 acolytes, 3 poisoned wind mortars

- Gascloud: 3 stormfiends, 2*5 acolytes, 3 poisoned wind mortars

Total: 2000

 

But how do you think the atormfiends should be equipped?

With the change to Warpfire sparks, Ratling Cannons suddenly have some appeal to me (their performance has been a bit lackluster in my first edition games), they also have a decent range. 

Now one thing you might want to consider is that the Stormfiend kit is kinda limited in what you can actually do in regards to WYSIWYG, and I'd recommend magnetizing the weapons as well. You could make a 'melee unit with 2 Shock Gauntlets fiends (the synergize really well with Vigordust)  and a Warpgrinder. The other unit would be a 'range unit' with a Ratling Cannon and 2 mortars or 2 projectors (projectors might be better due to offering MW output since you have plenty of poison gas already).

Also, you can only take 1 Vigordust Injector in your army. I'd also consider taking a Packmaster since it's a good power boost to a unit of Stormfiends. (Keeping it close also protects you against losing a fiend with an unlucky battle shock roll)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Reeve said:

With the change to Warpfire sparks, Ratling Cannons suddenly have some appeal to me (their performance has been a bit lackluster in my first edition games), they also have a decent range. 

Now one thing you might want to consider is that the Stormfiend kit is kinda limited in what you can actually do in regards to WYSIWYG, and I'd recommend magnetizing the weapons as well. You could make a 'melee unit with 2 Shock Gauntlets fiends (the synergize really well with Vigordust)  and a Warpgrinder. The other unit would be a 'range unit' with a Ratling Cannon and 2 mortars or 2 projectors (projectors might be better due to offering MW output since you have plenty of poison gas already).

Also, you can only take 1 Vigordust Injector in your army. I'd also consider taking a Packmaster since it's a good power boost to a unit of Stormfiends. (Keeping it close also protects you against losing a fiend with an unlucky battle shock roll)

Agreed. The Ratling Cannons are very cool now!

One question: you have no mobility... so how are you going to grab objectives?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was thinking of the Verminlord Warpseer to bring mobility in form of using its command ability twice each turn to generate some giant rats?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Num was the double vigordust a typo? Only one of each artifact ;)

I agree with what's been said; it also seems you lack staying power. Stuff only needs to hit you hard once to break your army, at a glance at least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Num said:

But how do you think the atormfiends should be equipped?

I would reccomend 2x shock gauntlets, 2x warpfire, and 2x grinderfists. Rattling cannons are good but your current list lacks melee which is why I think grinder fists to be better. 

You are going to struggle with taking and defending objectives since other than the stomfeinds and warpseer you dont have much durability.  But you might be able to do enough damage so it won't matter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never posted before now but thought it might be useful to throw in some learning points and discussion areas for the average Skryre Tinker-Rat :)

First of all 2000pt list below. It is designed to be semi competitive (though there's no doubt better lists going, so feedback always welcome too):

List

Skryre Batallion - 80

General: Arch Warlock - 140

Warlock Engineer - 100

Warp Lightning Cannon - 180

Warp Lightning Cannon - 180

Arkhspark Enginecoven - 80

Warlock Engineer - 100 (vigordust)

2 x 5 Acolytes - 120

Mortar - 60

2 x 3 Stormfiends - 580 (shock gauntlets & warpfire OR grinderfist+ratlingx2)

Gascloud Enginecoven - 80

Allies:

Packmaster - 60

Clanrats x 20 - 120

Clanrats x 20 - 120

20 pts free for an endless spell (dealers choice)

 

Learning Points

A list of things which have been picked up so far with AOS 2

- Stormfiends are still pretty damn good: the warpfire unit draws a lot of fire, but usually makes it into range to make its points back. The shock gauntlets, especially with the packmaster and vigordust, WILL delete something from the table (and generally aren't targeted nearly as much as the warpfire squad)

- The alternative grinderfist squad is a bit hit and miss currently, but is very handy for popping up somewhere useful and blitzing something squishy in the back line.

- In my experience the lightning cannon is underrated. Sure it isn't guaranteed, but with 3 shots per turn they are a great source of mortal wounds. not to mention surprisingly survivable if only because of perceived threats elsewhere in the army.

- Clanrats do nothing but die in droves, and that is absolutely fine. I hope for the day when we get a numerous battleline unit that doesn't cost a mortgage to buy, but for now cheap bubblewrap and objective holders works pretty well. In fact there hasn't been a game yet where they have been dropped which i have won convincingly, but more on that later

- Acolytes are a bit hit and miss in small numbers. At some point it may be worth considering using larger units, but in honesty they are too expensive right now and the support they can give even with just ten usually provides a return on points invested.

- Lots of folks don't seem too enamored of the batallion, however it (along with warp lightning and warpfire) have been invaluable to me in the new 30 inch unbind range environment.

Observations

Some specific questions it would be useful to have clarified by the community at large!

- Without clanrats, where does our chaff come from? I have played a couple of games now in which I dropped them in favour of another stormfiend unit, and I find it very hard to screen, hold points or generally command table positioning. Has anyone found a useful way around this or are the clanrats a must?

- Weapon Teams also seem particularly underwhelming at the moment. Now again this could just be me using them poorly, but even the ratling gun with new benefits from the allegiance ability, while good on paper, still doesn't seem to deliver. Thoughts on weapon teams and how they might be leveraged better?

- With the changes to AOS2 hero phase and spellcasting, it feels like currently the casters we are forced to use are a little limited in spell scope: especially with the rule of one and the nerf to magic missile, at least one warlock has their effectiveness dampened. This may be correctable with the realm spells or the endless spells, however I am hoping for some spells of ruin in the near future!

- Conversely the casters have been exceptionally useful as a counter to enemy casting. It seems that a lot of mortal wounds come from spells and having three casters included by default for the batallion makes for a half decent *nope* to most enemies, with the possible exception of Tzeentch who quite frankly has a lot of magic going on. We on the other hand have a whole host of portal wounds which can be thrown out in addition to our spells, which is quite an advantage. Is everyone else finding this or again is it just my circumstance currently?

- Finally just a stupid question: the App now shows the battalion rules, but not the units they must include. Am i right in thinking the requirements for unit composition has not changed?

 

So there you go! What do you think about these points? has anyone found the opposite? Or has anyone found solutions to any of these? AOS2 promises to be just different enough to warrant rechecking the old assumptions, so anything you can add would be very useful!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Steelgrin said:

Never posted before now but thought it might be useful to throw in some learning points and discussion areas for the average Skryre Tinker-Rat :)

First of all 2000pt list below. It is designed to be semi competitive (though there's no doubt better lists going, so feedback always welcome too):

List

Skryre Batallion - 80

General: Arch Warlock - 140

Warlock Engineer - 100

Warp Lightning Cannon - 180

Warp Lightning Cannon - 180

Arkhspark Enginecoven - 80

Warlock Engineer - 100 (vigordust)

2 x 5 Acolytes - 120

Mortar - 60

2 x 3 Stormfiends - 580 (shock gauntlets & warpfire OR grinderfist+ratlingx2)

Gascloud Enginecoven - 80

Allies:

Packmaster - 60

Clanrats x 20 - 120

Clanrats x 20 - 120

20 pts free for an endless spell (dealers choice)

 

Learning Points

A list of things which have been picked up so far with AOS 2

- Stormfiends are still pretty damn good: the warpfire unit draws a lot of fire, but usually makes it into range to make its points back. The shock gauntlets, especially with the packmaster and vigordust, WILL delete something from the table (and generally aren't targeted nearly as much as the warpfire squad)

- The alternative grinderfist squad is a bit hit and miss currently, but is very handy for popping up somewhere useful and blitzing something squishy in the back line.

- In my experience the lightning cannon is underrated. Sure it isn't guaranteed, but with 3 shots per turn they are a great source of mortal wounds. not to mention surprisingly survivable if only because of perceived threats elsewhere in the army.

- Clanrats do nothing but die in droves, and that is absolutely fine. I hope for the day when we get a numerous battleline unit that doesn't cost a mortgage to buy, but for now cheap bubblewrap and objective holders works pretty well. In fact there hasn't been a game yet where they have been dropped which i have won convincingly, but more on that later

- Acolytes are a bit hit and miss in small numbers. At some point it may be worth considering using larger units, but in honesty they are too expensive right now and the support they can give even with just ten usually provides a return on points invested.

- Lots of folks don't seem too enamored of the batallion, however it (along with warp lightning and warpfire) have been invaluable to me in the new 30 inch unbind range environment.

Observations

Some specific questions it would be useful to have clarified by the community at large!

- Without clanrats, where does our chaff come from? I have played a couple of games now in which I dropped them in favour of another stormfiend unit, and I find it very hard to screen, hold points or generally command table positioning. Has anyone found a useful way around this or are the clanrats a must?

- Weapon Teams also seem particularly underwhelming at the moment. Now again this could just be me using them poorly, but even the ratling gun with new benefits from the allegiance ability, while good on paper, still doesn't seem to deliver. Thoughts on weapon teams and how they might be leveraged better?

For chaff you could try out giant rats or plague monks or maybe gutter runners I dont remember how they compare cost wise. 

For weapon teams, I have used warpfire throwers and poison wind mortars.  I have had good success with warpfire throwers behind a clanrat wall or lagging them 10 or so inches behind stormfiends so they can move up and shoot once most enemy units are locked in combat. The mortars are a bit more luck dependent, having only one attack can make it seem like they are bad individually but with several and the reroll command trait I have found that they do well although those experiences were back when they could do 12 damage.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just realized that the counter effect of the warpstone spark was reduced from D6 MW to D3!

I played a game a few days ago on v2 but did not notice this change. Sure enough, my arch-warlock used a spark in the first turn, failed the test, and inflicted on himself no less than 6 mortal wounds!! Welcome to skavendom... He would have survived under v2 allegiance :

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know if there is a Skyre WhatsApp group. 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tom said:

Does anyone know if there is a Skyre WhatsApp group. 

Cheers

Not as far as I know, but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised :)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/11/2018 at 6:52 PM, Steelgrin said:

Without clanrats, where does our chaff come from?

Not a Skyre player myself, but I often play against a certain someone running Skyre, and he uses lots and lots... And lots, of Giant Rats.

Now in 2.0 he even finds it more cost-efficient to summon them in. Suddenly he can place 35~ rats on the table instead of the usual 20.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm... suppose the clanrats could be swapped out for the warpseer? Probably need to rethink another unit too in order to purchase some endless spells

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/12/2018 at 8:37 PM, Tom said:

Does anyone know if there is a Skyre WhatsApp group. 

Cheers

This would actuallyl be awesome, im interested if we find out if there is one 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ChippyRick said:

This would actuallyl be awesome, im interested if we find out if there is one 

Do we start one? Or ask about some more?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was trying to figure out some new strategies last night, and came across an idea that might be absolutely brutal. Warpfire Throwers are deadly, but it's hard to get them safely in range against good opponents. What if you could add 2D6" to their range? 

Cue the Great Bray Shaman... whose spell "Devolve" moves an enemy unit 2D6" towards your nearest unit. Say you have 2 units of Warpfire Throwers safely far away, like 20" . If you hit that unit with Devolve, now your unit of Warpfire Throwers will be usually able to hit that unit that turn. Hey Nagash hiding behind their backlines, how does a faceful of 2D6 mortal wounds sound? 

I run a mostly Skyre army under Chaos Allegiance, and I think twl Great Bray Shamans will become a mandatory addition to my list from now on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×