AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

1 minute ago, Nuradin said:

I was afraid of that! Was just hoping I woulnd't have to buy two battletomes just to play Nagash and nighthaunt.
Too bad Spirit Hosts can go battle line for legions as they atm can for Nighthaunt! (subject to change in the new battle tome I guess)

No, but you can use chainrasps to fill in your battleline, then take Spirit Hosts as normal units, and still ally in anything from the Nighthaunt book including the new heroes or other fancy units.

I have played Nighthaunt for almost a year already (way before it was cool :P)  and even with my new Battle Tome coming out I am eyeing the Legions of Nagash battle tome.  Sacrament would allow me to take a Mortis Engine, Arkhan the Black, Mortarch of Grief, and any and all ghost models that I want including all the new releases.  Nighthaunt still doesn't have access to the Mortis Engine or the buffs of some of the Legion traits.  Obviously we have not seen the Nighthaunt traits so they will likely be awesome, but the Legions of Nagash are a known quantity and now as a Nighthaunt lover I can play Legions while still using only Malignant models that I love so much, including my Mortis Engine that has just been sitting around collecting dust.

1 minute ago, Nevar said:

No, but you can use chainrasps to fill in your battleline, then take Spirit Hosts as normal units, and still ally in anything from the Nighthaunt book including the new heroes or other fancy units.

I have played Nighthaunt for almost a year already (way before it was cool :P)  and even with my new Battle Tome coming out I am eyeing the Legions of Nagash battle tome.  Sacrament would allow me to take a Mortis Engine, Arkhan the Black, Mortarch of Grief, and any and all ghost models that I want including all the new releases.  Nighthaunt still doesn't have access to the Mortis Engine or the buffs of some of the Legion traits.  Obviously we have not seen the Nighthaunt traits so they will likely be awesome, but the Legions of Nagash are a known quantity and now as a Nighthaunt lover I can play Legions while still using only Malignant models that I love so much, including my Mortis Engine that has just been sitting around collecting dust.

Isn't there some sort of rule about how much you can ally in? :O I thought that it was, cause on most list builders it says "allies 0/400"
Cause your idea there was really cool!

5 minutes ago, Nuradin said:

Isn't there some sort of rule about how much you can ally in? :O I thought that it was, cause on most list builders it says "allies 0/400"
Cause your idea there was really cool!

Yes, you are allowed 20% of your army to be allied unit.  So at 2000 points you can bring 400 points of allies.

However know that all the models inside the Soul Wars box are added to the Legion battle tome.  Which means using Grimghasts, Chainrasps, Spirit Torments, Knights of Shrouds, Glaive Wraiths, Guardian of Souls, and Lord Executioners do not require you to use allied points.  Furthermore, Chainrasps are battleline inherently so they can be using in Legions of Nagash as your core battle line units instead of skeletons or dire wolves.  So you can effectively use all of those ghost units without limits.  Mortis Engines are also normal Legions models.

The 400 point limit only applies to special characters or some of the more elite special ghost units that have not been revealed yet.  Bladegheists, Chaingheists, etc. and you normally are only going to want one or two of those units to begin with.  You could bring the Mortarch of grief for a little over half of your allied points and still bring other ghosts.  You can field an all spirit army in Legions of Nagash easily and use LoN traits for profit.

3 minutes ago, Nevar said:

Yes, you are allowed 20% of your army to be allied unit.  So at 2000 points you can bring 400 points of allies.

However know that all the models inside the Soul Wars box are added to the Legion battle tome.  Which means using Grimghasts, Chainrasps, Spirit Torments, Knights of Shrouds, Glaive Wraiths, Guardian of Souls, and Lord Executioners do not require you to use allied points.  Furthermore, Chainrasps are battleline inherently so they can be using in Legions of Nagash as your core battle line units instead of skeletons or dire wolves.  So you can effectively use all of those ghost units without limits.  Mortis Engines are also normal Legions models.

The 400 point limit only applies to special characters or some of the more elite special ghost units that have not been revealed yet.  Bladegheists, Chaingheists, etc. and you normally are only going to want one or two of those units to begin with.  You could bring the Mortarch of grief for a little over half of your allied points and still bring other ghosts.  You can field an all spirit army in Legions of Nagash easily and use LoN traits for profit.

That is a very scary thought, from a RP-perspective :P I love how Nagash just brings people back to life and summons ******... however skeletons and zombies have never been my cup of tea. Ghosts on the other hand, that is right up my alley. So a spell caster that can summon ghosts.. that feels goooood :D
Not really fond of the Mortis Engine though, but I haven't checked it's warscroll, so that might all change. From what I've heard and read it doesn't really have much synergy with malignants and nighthaunt?

34 minutes ago, Nuradin said:

I really like Spirit Torment and Guardian of Souls, especially Guardian of Souls! I really hope they put that model in a box of its own, cause I would love to run two of them in an army :P 

Have you seen the store anniversary version ? If you have a GW store nearby (or some money for Ebay) ou should try to pick him https://war-of-sigmar.herokuapp.com/bloggings/3036

1 minute ago, christophe said:

Have you seen the store anniversary version ? If you have a GW store nearby (or some money for Ebay) ou should try to pick him https://war-of-sigmar.herokuapp.com/bloggings/3036

That might be cool in order to not run two of the exact same model! However, I kinda like the Soul Wars boxed GoS more than that anniversary version...

Will be interesting none the less to see what heroes gets their own box and what heroes will be soul wars box only!

5 minutes ago, Nuradin said:

That is a very scary thought, from a RP-perspective :P I love how Nagash just brings people back to life and summons ******... however skeletons and zombies have never been my cup of tea. Ghosts on the other hand, that is right up my alley. So a spell caster that can summon ghosts.. that feels goooood :D
Not really fond of the Mortis Engine though, but I haven't checked it's warscroll, so that might all change. From what I've heard and read it doesn't really have much synergy with malignants and nighthaunt?

Not really, it helps wizards and can sort of be a mortal wound bomb.  The reason I have been annoyed that I can't use him is because it is a Malignant model (aka ghost) that came in my Malignant starter box and I have never been able to use it.  Plus the model is really cool.

2 minutes ago, Nevar said:

Not really, it helps wizards and can sort of be a mortal wound bomb.  The reason I have been annoyed that I can't use him is because it is a Malignant model (aka ghost) that came in my Malignant starter box and I have never been able to use it.  Plus the model is really cool.

Yeah, that is actually kinda funny that it came wiht the malignant box but it doesn't really have any synergy with them, nor any connection to nighthaunt at all :D
This sort of brings up the question whether they will release a new start collecting! for the new Nighthaunts! And I wonder what that box would include!

1 hour ago, Nuradin said:

I was afraid of that! Was just hoping I woulnd't have to buy two battletomes just to play Nagash and nighthaunt.
Too bad Spirit Hosts can go battle line for legions as they atm can for Nighthaunt! (subject to change in the new battle tome I guess)

Technically you wouldn’t have to get the Nighthaunt Battletomb.  Inside the AoS Box the small booklet with the Pitch Battle Profiles retroactively places all main box content Nighthaunt as part of the LON Battletomb.  Warscrolls are still free.  Thankfully we aren’t being forced to buy a new book.  Personally I’ll be getting the new Battletomb just because.

If the whole of the nighthaunt range moves to "unmodified rolls of 6" for the mortal wound trigger, the knight of shrouds on foot is the most useless model in the range... Especially since he still needs to be the general for some bizarre reason to even use his (possibly pointless) command ability. 

If that's the case, the KoS is such a poorly designed warscroll. 

I think it's pretty certain the KoS will get a warscroll overhaul when the battletome drops. He might just get the same command ability as the mounted version (I hope not, for variety) but if he doesn't then at the very least the wording will be changed to reflect the way command points work now.

1 minute ago, Urauloth said:

I think it's pretty certain the KoS will get a warscroll overhaul when the battletome drops. He might just get the same command ability as the mounted version (I hope not, for variety) but if he doesn't then at the very least the wording will be changed to reflect the way command points work now.

Do you think so? On a model that's been released after the first book was dropped that had AoS2 in mind (MoN)? 

If they did put that book (malign portents) in print, know the wording would have to be changed in less than half a year, I don't know what's worse... that they couldn't plan ahead for that short a time, or that they released 4 models that don't mix well with their future ruleset. 

52 minutes ago, Elmir said:

If the whole of the nighthaunt range moves to "unmodified rolls of 6" for the mortal wound trigger, the knight of shrouds on foot is the most useless model in the range... Especially since he still needs to be the general for some bizarre reason to even use his (possibly pointless) command ability. 

If that's the case, the KoS is such a poorly designed warscroll. 

The only thing that is poorly designed is the if he is the general part.

+1 to hit is very good for all of our non-MW spamming models.  He -used- to make MWs on a 5+ for Spirit Hosts and stuff, now he makes our Grimghasts hit on rerolling 3+, makes our Chainrasps hit on 3+, etc. etc.

His command ability is not bad at all, it is just not as good s turning Spirit Hosts into 5+ murder machines.  I will take that trade to be immune to -1 to hit debuffs on all of my MW production.

I just really do hope they make it so he can use it even of he is not the General.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

He might not get his warscroll changed. The new ghost moms CA also says she must be the general. They might not change the 'needs to be general' part but I hope they change the other part if everything is going to unmodified rolls

If they don't change the "needs to be a general" part for this unit, then there's only the mounted KoS with a command ability that doesn't need them to be the general, right? Am I missing something here - why would NH want more than the normal 1 per turn command point? For the normal command abilities every army gets?

Edited by Lemondish

6 minutes ago, Lemondish said:

If they don't change the "needs to be a general" part for this unit, then there's only the mounted KoS with a command ability that doesn't need them to be the general, right? Am I missing something here - why would NH want more than the normal 1 per turn command point? For the normal command abilities every army gets?

And to stack up bonuses.  But to be honest, people really undervalue rerolling charges, or getting auto 6s to run. 

36 minutes ago, Keldaur said:

And to stack up bonuses.  But to be honest, people really undervalue rerolling charges, or getting auto 6s to run. 

Oh, I agree. I think those are really powerful. They're just not super neat NH specific command shenanigans lol

Edited by Lemondish

4 hours ago, Lemondish said:

I agree, I've been looking around for more heroes that were not announced yet, and so far, there are very few models that actually have use of CP. 

KoS on foot: has a general limitation (and he's waaaaay to fragile to be a general, he's stuck in AoS 1: a borderline useless low wound charcter)
KoS on horse: can use his command ability without restrictions.
Lady Olynder: has to be the general for her command abilty. Wouldn't be surprised if she HAS to be the general when present (like other mortarchs) and has this weird wording about having other friendly models that have the command ability. 

My educated guess is that all characters in the army might get this "no rest for the wicked" command ability and that this will become the equivalent of the nighthaunt "deathly invocation", but costing CP (in the same style that Legions of Nagash come with a special command ability as an army trait: endless legions).

And if you slap Olynder in there, this "no rest for the wicked" daisy chains through your army.

I've been looking over the new Nighthaunt rules as I've already got 2k of Nighthaunt, and i'm stumped by the glaivewraith stalkers. They seem to be slower and cheaper (because of smaller units) of grimghast reapers.

I know they get rerolls to hit when they charge and that the drummer lets them retreat and still charge, but unless I've missed something the grimghast do their job better purely because of their rend.

Also I've cobbled together a 2k list I'll be trying when the army drops, I'm still an aos newbie as I've not played much despite buying a bucketload of models. This list will change with games and of course new shiney toys.

Heroes

*Lady Olynder

*Guardian of Souls

*Knight of Shrouds on ghost horsie

*Spirit Torment

Battleline

*40 Chainwrasp

*6 Spirit hosts

*6 Spirit Hosts

*5 Hexwraiths

*5 Hexwraiths

Other

*2 Chainghasts

*4 Myrmoan Banshees 

* 8 Glaivewraith Stalkers

The rough idea is to set up a grind, with Hexwraiths for objective grabbing and the big blob of chainrasps to hold one. Olynder would keep pumping out spirit hosts and debuffing enemy units with the other heroes supporting where needed.

I can see some potential with Olynder's spell and grimghast reapers, hitting on 3s rerolling with a 10 man unit should do a fair bit of damage.

Glaivewrath stalkers we will have to wait for the loyalty rules for nighthaunt. If Nighthaunt keep the "teleport", they are cheap units to get objectives with. Normally you would have them behind the horde, so they pile in and attack with their range 2", while also easilly getting the +1 to wound. Nothing amazing, but they are cheap and can keep retreating and charging.

Edited by Keldaur

7 hours ago, Lemondish said:

Idoneth is in exactly the same position and they were made for the new edition too. Effectively only one command trait in the whole army (high king version just targets more units) and the king has to be the general.  I wouldn't be surprised to find out that kind of wording is the norm from here on out. Just seems so weird to me to bring in the new CP system and then block the new armies from being able to properly play with it.

Edit: thinking about it more, the idoneth one is even more ridiculous as you can only use it during high tide (ie. Turn three). That means that unless you use the generic ones they literally have to just pile up points till turn three. Will be interesting to see if the stormcast command abilities are limited in the same way and if they revisit any old warscrolls and bring them in line with nighthaunt and the other newer armies.

Edited by Yoshiya

8 hours ago, The Cyclop Owl said:

Quick side note: does anyone have a painting technic for the gradients apart from airbrushing or years of glazing?

you could try wet blending with some retarder. It's efficient and rather fun. Zenital spraying of white on a darker sprayed base color work wonder as well. You could just glazed it once then.

Edited by christophe