AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

10 minutes ago, Inferno said:

What is the difference between Guardian of Souls and Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Latern?

you can use the lantern artefacts only for the GoS with nightmare lantern. there is another GoS version (gw shop anniversary exclusive order) which has another lantern that let's all enemy units within 9" charge with only 1d6 instead of 2d6.

3 minutes ago, tea_wild_owl said:

you can use the lantern artefacts only for the GoS with nightmare lantern. there is another GoS version (gw shop anniversary exclusive order) which has another lantern that let's all enemy units within 9" charge with only 1d6 instead of 2d6.

Can I always choose it as additional Artefact (on top of first army one)? Or is just additional option for normal artefact? 

12 minutes ago, Inferno said:

Can I always choose it as additional Artefact (on top of first army one)? Or is just additional option for normal artefact? 

you can choose 1 weapon, artefact or lantern for each artefact slot (1 per default, 1 per battalion), but each can be chosen only once (so not two time the same lantern, but you can select 2 different lanterns or 1 lantern 1 weapon etc)

Played a paired 1k per army battle yesterday as part of my LGS's AoS2.0 celebration thing put on by GW.  Did a hero brawl before it, where I am pleased to announce that all i had to say was, "All the souls belong to Nagash." for the other mKoS player to immediately agree to a tacit alliance vs. the heroes of the Soul-Thief.  All the souls belonged to Nagash as was foretold.

In the paired game it was two generals of 1k point armies teamed up against another pair of 1k armies.  My army was:

Mounted Knight of Shrouds
    -Ruler of the Spirit Hosts
    -Midnight Tome (Spirit Cage)

Guardian of Souls
    -Shademist

Hexwraiths - 15 Riders

Spirit Hosts - x3 Swarms

Spirit Hosts - x3 Swarms

My opponent was a Orruk army that was pretty elite.

Mega Boss on Mawcrusha

Mega Boss

Brutes - x5 Orruks

Brutes - x5 Orruks

The other two armies were not important at all in the fight between the Nighthaunt and Orruks, as it devolved into two halves of the table 1v1ing each other.  Although I will say it was my harrying of the Orruks that kept his Mawcrusha from joining the fray on the other side of the table so the Necromancer's Great Plan won the day.

The deployment saw us all stuck in a 15" corner bubble, with me deploying the mKoS and GoS along side the 15 rider block of Hexwraiths.  I kept both Spirit Hosts in the underworld.  I was in the South-West corner of a 4x4 board, Orruks were in the North-West corner.  My allies, the Sacrosant Chamber (cough) had the South-East corner, and the Orruk's allies, some cold blooded Saurus warband had the North-East corner.  The orruks deployed their Mawcrusha as far to the east as possible, clearly intending to send it barreling into the other battle to help wipe out the Soul-Thief's golden boys.  The objective of the battle was to slay the enemy's generals.  I made an error from the beginning assuming the Mawcrusha was the Orruk general, but hilariously his regular Mega Boss was the general of the Orruks.  Apparently he wanted to use the Mawkrusha as a wrecking ball and figured the foot boss was safer.

Nagash granted us Turn 1, and the Golden boys proceeded to drop a comet on the Saurus army.  This would ensure the Sacrosanct victory on Turn 1 although we did not know it.  Apparently neither of our opponents had any wizards or means to dispel endless spells, and the Comet is  a casting value of six.  My opening move was to summon the Spirit Hosts from the underworld in a little soul fence between the Mawkrusha and all of his intended targets.  One Spirit Host failed to charge, the other rolled a 10 on the charge and instantly put 5 Mortal Wounds on the Mawkrusha.  I thought perhaps the Mawkrusha would go down fast after seeing that, but it would turn out the Spirit Hosts grew tired soon after doing so well.  Hexwraiths moved up only about six inches, hedging that I couldn't make the charge and ensuring that I was out of range of the counter charge from his main line of Brutes and Mega Boss as I had no idea how lethal there were and i was being cautious.  In the actual combat phase the Spirit Hosts managed to put another three MWs on the Mawkrusha, things were looking good, although the Mawkrusha destroyed two of the swarms and left the third wounded.

Enemy Turn 1 saw the Saurus desperately running to clear the comet's impact area but not really succeeding.  5" radius pulse of MWs on that comet is really large when you are stuck in a 15" deployment pie.  One unit was able to charge into a full squad of Sequitors, but those rerolling saves are dumb and only one golden boy fell to the charge.

On the Orruk side, he decided he didn't like the game that was afoot, and pulled his Mawkrusha out of combat with the wounded spirit host to rush toward the East side of the table to assist the Saurus.  Luckily my second fence of Spirit Hosts stood in his way so while he got much closer and could join that fray in the next turn.  They were hoping for a double turn so the Mawkrusha could escape my measly yet annoying trap.  Likewise, the Brutes all chose to run after the Mawkrusha to engage the Spirit Hosts and keep him free to leap free of the annoying spirits and go thrashing among the Soul-Thief's chosen instead of wasting his powerful attacks on phantasms.  They all rolled 1's on their runs and basically shuffled after the Mawkrusha failing to really go anywhere.  His Mega Boss, who was his general unknown to me charged the injured Spirit Host for extra movement but failed to wound it at all due to his wiffs and my saves.  I proceeded to place two Mortal Wounds on his secret general.  That Spirit Host unit would go on to get Employee of the Month awards, though their fellow Spirit Hosts were promptly fired as they would not deal even one MW.

T2 saw the plans of Nagash continue to bear fruit as we again gained first turn.  The comet pulsed with radiation slaying more Saurus as the vile sigmarite comet still sat amid their lines.  The Soul-Thief's chosen showed their skill at magic by dispelling the comet with an exorcist, and then calling forth a new one from the heavens with the Lord-Arcanum.  Again the Saurus army was rocked by the massive impact of a plunging comet even as the Sequitors streamed forward to match the incoming cold one riders.

Quietly the agents of Nagash dealt with the beasts of Gorka-Morka.  Three Spirit Hosts once again charged the Mawkrusha, but failed to cause any damage, although they succeeded in tangling him up into combat once more.  With nothing but a chill wind to announce them, the host of Hexwraiths broke over the massed Brutes and with a single 9 inch charge they encircled both Brutes squads and the foot Mega Boss in a ring of ghostly horsemen.  Spectral scythes cut down one Orruk Brute and wounded others, but more importantly brought the Mega Boss down to 3 wounds left with Mortal Wounds.  The Knight of Shrouds watched from a safe distance while keeping them in range, ready to summon up more riders should any fall.  Guardian of souls moved out into the center of the battle to get into range of the Hexwraiths as well as keep the Mawkrusha in range for Spirit Cage.  Our ghostly agent was a bit exposed out there in the middle, but the Saurus knights seemed preoccupied enough with the comet and angry Sequitors that it seemed safe.  Seemed being the key word.  In our combat phase some of the Golden boys needed the first combat, which allowed the Mawkrusha to go before the Spirit Hosts, as the Guardian of Souls had only just moved up into range and therefore hadn't yet cast Soul Cage on him.  The beast proceeded to demolish all three Spirit Hosts with laughable ease.  More brutes took damage but none fell, and two hexwraiths fell to crude blades.

On the opposing turn, more Saurus got to grips with the Sequitors, but the stalwart rerollable saves are just so good when the sigmarite plan was to just hold the line while a comet pulsed the enemy to death.  The real change in fortunes came when the Orruk player decided the eastern flank was lost and didn't want to go into comet radiation, and instead proceeded to charge the lone Guardian of Souls in the middle of the table.  He then proceeded to bowl over the GoS as if he wasn't there and charge again into the Knight of Shrouds who was busy directing the combat with the Brutes.  Blind sided the Knight of Shrouds was nearly overrun in the first frenzy of attacks leaving him at three wounds thanks to some lucky saves.  Concerned now, because I thought the Mawkrusha who had 6 wounds remaining was the enemy general and was about to nom nom my general I made devious plans.  The Knight of Shrouds struck back causing one unsaved attack and brought the beast to 4 wounds.

Turn 3 saw the enemy get the first turn, granting them the ever wonderful double turn.  Lucky for us... the comet still pulses at the start of the battle round and more Saurus died in droves in front of the Sequitor shield wall.  The combat phase saw two more Hexwraiths go down, but crucially the Mega Warboss and unknown to me the enemy General, fell to the flurry of Mortal Wounds that our Employ of the Month laid on him.  First of two enemy generals slain.  Another brute died in the melee with the Hexwraiths, and lucky for out Knight of Shrouds no damage made it through the Mawkrusha's wiffing and his spirit save.  Sadly, neither did the Knight of Shrouds cause any damage to the beast.

Our turn 3 saw two Hexwraiths return to the fight at the direction of the Knight of Shrouds, and the agents of Azyr once again dispelled the comet and dropped it -again- amid the cold blooded lizardman's lines, crushing all but the fiercest creatures.  A mighty saurus scar veteran on a massive carnosaur remained standing, and was clearly the saurus general, and the last of our targets.  Like the Mawkrusha, this beast was also on its last legs thanks to constant comet collisions, having only 4 wounds remaining.  I made a tactical retreat, pulling all of the hexwraiths free of their fight with the orruk throng and riding south to aid the Knight of Shrouds, using Spectral Hunters as I did so to cause an additional 2 MWs to the orruks and slaying one as I fell back.  Two of the Soul-Thief's champions charged out of the Sequitor shield wall to end the fight, assaulting the carnosaur in a valiant if foolishly brave move.  The Lord Arcanum was his general, and with my Knight of Shrouds likely to be crushed in the fight phase, exposing his general to an angry carnosaur seemed like a bad move.  The Knight of Shrouds was torn off his spectral steed in the combat phase, leaving the Mawkrusha to glower angrily at the onrushing mass of Hexwraiths.  The sigmarite heroes however managed to cut down the Carnosaur with -literally- their last attack.  A particularly loyal gryph hound launching itself into the fight and bringing the brutalized dinosaur down.  The Lord Arcanum and his Lord Castellant had hilariously failed to end the beast, getting savaged in their attempts... but the sturdy little gryph hound... we need some spirit gryph hounds... maybe Nagash will create some for us after this battle.

LESSONS

-Always bring a wizard.  Even just a midnight tome allows you to dispel and attempt unbindings.  The comet was cast value of 6, making it extremely easy to cast and dispel, and the Stormcast ally made extremely good use of this.  The comet is quite over powered when the enemy has no way to dispel.  With even a skink priest the saurus player could have unbound it at least once or twice as he only cast it on a six one and a seven on a second time.  Likewise a skink could have dispelled it protecting him from the secondary pulses.  Even still, that comet is likely the most broken Endless Spell I have seen so far, though deployment did make it more effective than perhaps it should have been.

-Never underestimate a Mawkrusha

-Make sure you know who and where the enemy general is, especially when they are your objective.  I only managed to kill the Orruk General by happen stance, I didn't realize until after he was dead that he was the general.

Edited by Nevar
Grammer - Spelling
  • Like 3

Here is the plan for my list.

Battlations

Execution Horde
Shroudguard

Leaders

Lord Executioner - General
CT - Ruler of the Spirit Hosts
A - Balefire Blade

Knight of Shrouds Mounted
A - Shrieking Blade

Spirit Torment
A - Pendant of the Fell wind

Battleline

Spirit Hosts x3

Spirit Hosts x3

Spirit Hosts x3

Other Units

Bladegheist Revenants x20

Bladegheist Revenants x20

Chainghasts x2

Chainghasts x2

Behemoth

Black Coach

what do you think? Comes in at 1990pts

10 minutes ago, Neck-Romantic said:

Does The MoG get to take a spell from Lore of Underworld? None of our spellcasters actually say they can take additional spells

Yeah under spell lores first line is each nighthaunt wizard in your army can roll or choose 1 spell

Had 3 games of 1k last night and went 3-0. First opponent was sacrosanct, second was Seraphon and the third was khorne daemons.

I have got to say I'm loving lady olynder. She reminds me very much of the doom of malantai from 5th edition of 40k. Comes down, spanks booty and deals out death, but still squishy.

She nearly came close to death vs the sacrosanct player but each turn she was healing back up to full. She wasn't as affective vs the Seraphon but her veil and cc was enough to smash the lizardmen lines.

Her unique spell vs blood letters was just cruel, paired with soul cage. The poor buggers didn't stand a chance and couldnt hit back hard due to the -1 to hit not allowing there ability to trigger.

Overall I'm very pleased, and grimghasts did serious work, I never lost a squad with all the regeneration.

Edited by Ekrund Oath Splitters
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

Had 3 games of 1k last night and went 3-0. First opponent was sacrosanct, second was Seraphon and the third was khorne daemons.

I have got to say I'm loving lady olynder. She reminds me very much of the doom of malantai from 5th edition of 40k. Comes down, spanks booty and deals out death, but still squishy.

She nearly came close to death vs the sacrosanct player but each turn she was healing back up to full. She wasn't as affective vs the Seraphon but her veil and cc was enough to smash the lizardmen lines.

Her unique spell vs blood letters was just cruel, paired with soul cage. The poor buggers didn't stand a chance and couldnt hit back hard due to the -1 to hit not allowing there ability to trigger.

Overall I'm very pleased, and grimghasts did serious work, I never lost a squad with all the regeneration.

My concern with Lady Olynder and the only reason I do not own her, is deep-striking her seems extremely risky.  She arrives after her chance to use her abilities since they happen in the previous phase, and she is left with charging in or standing there hoping to not die.  She potentially has to stand there for two whole enemy turns if you are not careful.

Seems like you need to drop her in Battle Round 1, Turn 2 so that there is a chance you get to use her immediately if you get the double turn, or at least she only stands around like an idiot for one turn since the enemy can't double turn you.

I was talking to a 40k player who was thinking about playing AoS and asking me about her and I also told him she is sort of like the old Doom of Malanti of the Tyranids.  Imagine her in LoN with two Mortis Engines.  They could just sit among a throng of zombies pulsing the enemy front line to death.

I make a 1k test list for some friendly game this week end

-Guardian of souls: General with Ruler of the spirit Hosts, Shademist spell, Pendant of the Fell Wind

-Knight of shrouds: Midnight Tome, Soul cage spell

-20 Chainrasp horde

-20 Chainrasp horde

-5 Bladegheist Revenants

-5 Bladegheist Revenants

Battalions: Chainguard & Shroudguard

General strategy: The Chainguard battalion start on the table and go for objective with it's high sustain (maybe switch the pendant of the fell wind for the becon of Nagashizzar for even more sustain). Meanwile the Shroudguard start on the underworlds and go make some chirurgical strike on the rear guard of my opponent (and dispeal some hidden wizard).

I will let you know if it work well.

I'm thinking about getting back into the hobby after a long break and back when I started playing WHFB I always loved the Tomb Banshee (back then, just Banshee).

I haven't seen much love for her with the new battle tome, but with the -1 bravery army allegiance and ability to come in from the underworld rules, she seems pretty useful. Any thoughts on if she's competitive?

4 minutes ago, dmorley21 said:

I'm thinking about getting back into the hobby after a long break and back when I started playing WHFB I always loved the Tomb Banshee (back then, just Banshee).

I haven't seen much love for her with the new battle tome, but with the -1 bravery army allegiance and ability to come in from the underworld rules, she seems pretty useful. Any thoughts on if she's competitive?

She only suffers from the "something is better than her" syndrome like the Cairn Wraith.

Lady Olynder is better than her.  A Dreadblade Harrow is more useful.  Guardian of Souls has more utility.  Lord Executioner debuffs enemies and murders heroes.  So forth.

She is useful in that she can do mortal wounds at range, and you can stack some bravery debuffs on enemy targets.  Herridans reduce leadership, as does the allegiance ability.  Her Battalion Warscroll makes units unable to use inspiring presence to prevent additional models lost in the battle shock phase.

Being 'competitive' in a larger sense is questionable.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bashpan said:

Thats from the preview in the  Games Workshop page  in the battletome  reikenor only do 1 mortal wound on a 6

I have his page open right here (EN digital p.75) and it definitely says 2. What version and language is your battletome?

13 minutes ago, Bashpan said:

Thats from the preview in the  Games Workshop page  in the battletome  reikenor only do 1 mortal wound on a 6

Weird because he basically just had a Cairn Wraith scythe and even the Cairn Wraith does 2 MWs on a 6.

9 minutes ago, Urauloth said:

I have his page open right here (EN digital p.75) and it definitely says 2. What version and language is your battletome?

WTF i have the spanish battletome and says 1 mortal wound is that a mistake?

IMG_20180709_181315.jpg

Edited by Bashpan