AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

2 minutes ago, Ove said:

Hi and hello! 

The allegiance abilitie Wave of terror where you can fight on a 10+ charge, does your opponent get to fight back like in the normal combatface?

If my interpretation is correct...

No. This happens in the charge phase. In the fight phase, you pick a unit first.

I just assembled my first spirit host unit. Tremble before my enormous undead swarm!

I haven't pulled the plug on a starter set yet, though. I have two KoSoS from ebay, as well as an Executioner, plus a Cairn Wraith and Hexwraiths from conversion projects.  The store as well as the GW the town over are out of Myrmourn Banshees since early Sat last week and I didn't see any battletomes when I got there today, either. 

Sooo.

Without the tome I have to ask. I can picture a banshee and spirit heavy force around Olynder, thematically. As well as a knightly host around the Craven King ("float me closer so I can hit them with my mace").  Or a batshit crazy horde of the wrongly killed with three executioners (the two starter doubles in black with ivory equipment and white with ebony, and the alt one in red), the Chainrasp and a bunch of the swordghosts and jailer spirits.

Black Knights are much better looking and a fitting household guard for a King, but as allies, would they have a place mechanicaly or use them as count-as Hexwraiths with a proper ghostly paintjob?

Edited by Binabik15

I was dissappointed at the Cairn Wraiths loosing FT... Then I looked at the new Black Coach profile... My god! Have you guys seen that? It's sick!

It makes the Mourngul much more "meh" even being cheaper. Its like they are getting rid of FW models just by needs and not plainly discontinuing.

1 minute ago, Maxo Bug said:

I was dissappointed at the Cairn Wraiths loosing FT... Then I looked at the new Black Coach profile... My god! Have you guys seen that? It's sick!

It makes the Mourngul much more "meh" even being cheaper. Its like they are getting rid of FW models just by needs and not plainly discontinuing.

He didn't lose ft in the app its not filled in but in the battletome he has it unmodified 6 its two mortal instead normal damage 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maxo Bug said:

Nah I'd say its more of they don't really know exactly how to balance FW things when they're not doing HH.

For example they made 2 completely new Khorne models for AoS...and yet they have always been meh game wise other than one of them making Khorgoraths battleline (and I dont think he does that anymore). Meanwhile they have buffed the Chaos War Mammoth despite the lack of having it available for purchase....

2 hours ago, Ahn-ket said:

He didn't lose ft in the app its not filled in but in the battletome he has it unmodified 6 its two mortal instead normal damage 

Oh! I hope it stays that way and gets corrected in the App instead of FAQed in the battletome. If so, you brightened my day a little more!

50 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

Nah I'd say its more of they don't really know exactly how to balance FW things when they're not doing HH.

For example they made 2 completely new Khorne models for AoS...and yet they have always been meh game wise other than one of them making Khorgoraths battleline (and I dont think he does that anymore). Meanwhile they have buffed the Chaos War Mammoth despite the lack of having it available for purchase....

SMH. Well... we'll see. Meanwhile, I don't see a reason why someone would expend 300 points in a 'meh' Mourngul when you can spend 280 in a Black Coach, which does everything and then some more. And don't even get me started in the model! The old one was one of the first and the most memorable WHFB miniatures that I ever saw and wanted one. Good thing I waited for this one. 

By the way: what is HH?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Maxo Bug said:

By the way: what is HH?

Horus Heresy. Last I remember people say that despite all the crazy options, its relatively balanced (for FW rules anyways) since its like 85% space marines with a sprinkling of Ad Mech and normal humans.

But yea the new Black Coach is amazing looking.

2 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

Horus Heresy. Last I remember people say that despite all the crazy options, its relatively balanced (for FW rules anyways) since its like 85% space marines with a sprinkling of Ad Mech and normal humans.

Ah! Right. Thanks! Didn't think about it. I tend to forget all 40k related things, since I'm not that familiarized.

(Besides a couple of videogames... but I shouldn't talk about that ?)

Not to derail the topic, but has anyone seen new tables for Skirmish that includes the new Nighthaunt models?

I play Skirmish, and want to start using Grimghasts and stuff, but I am not sure where those are.  Only Path to Glory is in the Battle tome.

I'm having trouble deciding between Soirit Hosts and Grimghast Reapers. On one hand, Sprit Hosts can do mortal wounds and I've usually seen them in units of 6, which costs just a bit more than a box of Grimghasts. On the other, Grimghasts are more anti-infantry, seem to want to be in units of at least 20, but Soul Wars comes with just 4 which is... underwhelming. I should say that I'm trying to expand from Soul Wars and I'll get at least 20 Bladegheist because tham they look good and their rules are fantastic. Not sure how that would influence my choice in my second battleline though.

Glaivewraiths are really kind of depressing when you hold them up next to Bladegheists, huh. The revenants do everything the stalkers do, but more reliably, with better stats, and faster, and they're not even that much more expensive. Ouch. I'm not sure what we're meant to do with stalkers, honestly. I really want them to be salvageable because I like the minis so much, but they're a terrible investment in points.

On the other hand, I got my Grimghasts today and I couldn't be happier with them. Amazing models, really good unit. Maybe my favourite lore, too. The calculating precise assassin and orchestrator of murderous plots who never gets blood on his own hands being punished with unlife as a blind berserker is my favourite take on Nagash's sense of justice; it is a genuinely ironic punishment, and he's punishing genuine misdeeds, but punishing "you did some murders" with "eternity of indiscriminate murders" is... well. Who am I to gainsay Nagash's wisdom? 

Speaking of lore, I'm not very satisfied with the Bladegheists. I think there's a plenty of mileage in vengeful ghosts that are worked up in a thrashing frenzy because they drowned or died of premature burials, don't get me wrong. I just don't think that meshes well with the masked, sword-wielding elite of the army - these look like miniature Shroud Knights and act as their bodyguards, and I was kinda hoping that, like the Dreadblades, they'd be linked to them in some way. I guess you can always write your own lore for your army's unit and so on, but still.

Also kinda disappointed that Hexwraiths and the other pre-battletome haunts don't seem to have curses. Are there no new Hexwraiths being created? Is being a Hexwraith actually a blast? It's kinda hard to tell.

A final note: that timeline piece about the Deepkin accidentally releasing nighthaunts from a dungeon Nagash had stuck them in, and now they hate the living and undead that are loyal to Nagash? I'm sure that's just a throwaway snippet, but wow, I really want to know more about these guys. A horde of foul-tempered renegade spectres indiscriminately haunting the place up is so damn cool it would sway me to theme my army around that snippet if I wasn't so invested in running a couple of the named characters.

5 hours ago, Nevar said:

Not to derail the topic, but has anyone seen new tables for Skirmish that includes the new Nighthaunt models?

I play Skirmish, and want to start using Grimghasts and stuff, but I am not sure where those are.  Only Path to Glory is in the Battle tome.

They'll probably be out in a week or two via an errata for the Skimish book(that's now they did new stuff for Nurgle, DoK, and Deepkin). But in the mean time divide unit cost by five and if the unit size is more than on divide by unit size.

2 hours ago, Urauloth said:

Glaivewraiths are really kind of depressing when you hold them up next to Bladegheists, huh. The revenants do everything the stalkers do, but more reliably, with better stats, and faster, and they're not even that much more expensive. Ouch. I'm not sure what we're meant to do with stalkers, honestly. I really want them to be salvageable because I like the minis so much, but they're a terrible investment in points.

On the other hand, I got my Grimghasts today and I couldn't be happier with them. Amazing models, really good unit. Maybe my favourite lore, too. The calculating precise assassin and orchestrator of murderous plots who never gets blood on his own hands being punished with unlife as a blind berserker is my favourite take on Nagash's sense of justice; it is a genuinely ironic punishment, and he's punishing genuine misdeeds, but punishing "you did some murders" with "eternity of indiscriminate murders" is... well. Who am I to gainsay Nagash's wisdom? 

Speaking of lore, I'm not very satisfied with the Bladegheists. I think there's a plenty of mileage in vengeful ghosts that are worked up in a thrashing frenzy because they drowned or died of premature burials, don't get me wrong. I just don't think that meshes well with the masked, sword-wielding elite of the army - these look like miniature Shroud Knights and act as their bodyguards, and I was kinda hoping that, like the Dreadblades, they'd be linked to them in some way. I guess you can always write your own lore for your army's unit and so on, but still.

Also kinda disappointed that Hexwraiths and the other pre-battletome haunts don't seem to have curses. Are there no new Hexwraiths being created? Is being a Hexwraith actually a blast? It's kinda hard to tell.

A final note: that timeline piece about the Deepkin accidentally releasing nighthaunts from a dungeon Nagash had stuck them in, and now they hate the living and undead that are loyal to Nagash? I'm sure that's just a throwaway snippet, but wow, I really want to know more about these guys. A horde of foul-tempered renegade spectres indiscriminately haunting the place up is so damn cool it would sway me to theme my army around that snippet if I wasn't so invested in running a couple of the named characters.

Yeah, I've got the stalkers and even bought the ETB kit to get the drum(will be running as units of 8), but they could be easily replaced by bladegeists. I'll probably keep the stalkers for reasons that aren't optimal for the game. While I like that the new stuff has taken from the design of the Cairn Wraith, the bladegeists and the grimghats have the design pretty much on lock to the point that I think they're too similar so I'll pick the Grimghasts first and keep the stalkers because they're fairly unique in not being the standard "human" ghost.

• Like 1

I assembled the Mortarch of Grief the other night and have decide that her name is a reference to both the grief you'll feel when she inevitably breaks. She's probably the most fragile of the Nighthaunt stuff so far. And while not quite as bad as a Spirit Host, she's probably the most annoying one to build of the new stuff, from the delicate rose vines to holding the banshees long enough so the bond with the relative to their size amount of glue is strong enough to hold them one. I definitely misjudged one of the banshees and had to add her a second time.

• Sad 1

Hi, I’ve been playing CHAOS for as long as I remember. With AoS 2 not really adding anything of interest for me (Khorne, Tzeentch), I’ve decided to try out NH! 

— I have a copy of Soul Wars (couldn’t resist)

— I bought Lady O because I thought the model looks down right amazing. 

— I get 6 painted Spirit Hosts and 5 Hexwraiths from my brother. 

I get that NH is highly synergistic, and that you can’t just put any good looking models on the table and hope for the best. I initially thought to build a more “elite” NH army and I might still do this, but I currently play around w what I have. 

First step is to build 1000p to test out the mechanics, although I’m just guessing NH is one of these armies that really don’t shine on 1000p! 

My first stab at a list—which I do feel lacks a punch:

— Lady Olinder, 240p

— Lord Executioner, 80p

— Spirit Torment, 120p

— 20 Chainrasp Horde, 160p

— 3 Spirit Hosts, 120p

— 3 Spirit Hosts, 120p

— 5 Hexwraiths, 160p

I do feel Lady O might not leverage full value at 1000 since many units at 1000 are quite small. I also feel I miss out on using and trying out any endless spells. Also I have a feeling I should be using at least KoS at 1000... 

Thoughts on above list and maybe ways to evolve it over time? ?

Edited by misthv

I am starting to like the look of Nighthaunt, but don't know anything about them really. Can someone please please answer a few questions?

1) How many units of starter box are actually useful in semi-competitive lists? Are they in decent configurations or are the full kits going to be strictly better?

2) What about the old stuff? Are models from start collecting/tormented spirits good in new battletome? Is Keldrek usable?

3) Are Myrmourn banshees a good complement to starter units?

46 minutes ago, Trayanee said:

I am starting to like the look of Nighthaunt, but don't know anything about them really. Can someone please please answer a few questions?

1) How many units of starter box are actually useful in semi-competitive lists? Are they in decent configurations or are the full kits going to be strictly better?

2) What about the old stuff? Are models from start collecting/tormented spirits good in new battletome? Is Keldrek usable?

3) Are Myrmourn banshees a good complement to starter units?

1. All the heroes and the Chainrasp horde. The Reapers are in a unit of 4 (they have a minimum size of 10 in matched play) and the Stalkers... aren't a very good unit. If you want Reapers, you'll need the full kit. On the other hand, Soul Wars is the only place you can get the Guardian and the mounted Knight right now, and the Executioner and Torment are useful (although the Torment and Chainghast kit is the best way to get the latter)

2. Yes, if they're nighthaunts. The tormented spirit set is a pretty good buy actually, Hosts are still great and Hexwraiths are used for one of the best battalions. The Knight of Shrouds is in the battletome with an updated warscroll.

3. They're always good, I think. They're an excellent unit.

1 hour ago, misthv said:

— Lady Olinder, 240p

— Lord Executioner, 80p

— Spirit Torment, 120p

— 20 Chainrasp Horde, 160p

— 3 Spirit Hosts, 120p

— 3 Spirit Hosts, 120p

— 5 Hexwraiths, 160p

I'd say, lose the Hexwraiths and add a Guardian of Souls. They're the only fast unit in your list, and Hexwraiths absolutely need support - and possibly 10-man units - to survive the initial blows.
Just for fun, here's the list I'd move on to for 2000 pts,  I had it in mind before I settled on the Deathriders:

- Lady Olinder 240p
    - Soul Cage
- Kurdoss Valentian 220p
- Spirit Torment 120p
    - Pendant of the Fellwind
- Guardian of Soul 140p
    - Lantern of Nagashizzar
    - Spectral Tether

- 3x6 Spirit Hosts 720p
- 2x20 Chainrasps 320p

- 2 Chainghasts 80p

- The Chainguard 120p

- Æthervoid Pendulum 40p

Total: 2000pts
Wounds: 122

MWs all day everyday, designed to resurrect battleline left and right and re-roll mountains of dice.

Edited by The Cyclop Owl
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, bsharitt said:

I assembled the Mortarch of Grief the other night and have decide that her name is a reference to both the grief you'll feel when she inevitably breaks. She's probably the most fragile of the Nighthaunt stuff so far. And while not quite as bad as a Spirit Host, she's probably the most annoying one to build of the new stuff, from the delicate rose vines to holding the banshees long enough so the bond with the relative to their size amount of glue is strong enough to hold them one. I definitely misjudged one of the banshees and had to add her a second time.

One of my other expensive hobbies (I have a few of them) is model railroading. A tip I learnt with that pursuit was the value of a pin vice and some brass wire for making strong joints.

Even a few mm of brass wire will make a joint much stronger then glue alone. I drill one hole, glue in a short length of wire with only a mm or two sticking out. Cut the wire after gluing it as short lengths are very fiddly. Once the glue has cured (leave it an hour or so to be sure), rub pencil lead on the tip of the wire to mark the matching face of the joint and drill. Then just glue the pieces together.

Small clamps, even clothes pegs, can be handy.

I think this model needs addition support. Possibly a clear rod or more brass wire (at least 0.5mm) might do. Anyway, once I get one myself, I’ll figure something out.

Edit: after a look at the model an idea occurred to me. If a scenery pice, say a suitably sized tombstone, was added to the base behind the second tendril of garment, the one trailing but not touching the base, it could be attached to the scenery feature. That should double the strength of support without having to use unsightly rods going up into the model.

Edited by Wraith
  • Like 1

It depends on how you're planning to use the Coach tbf. I'm personally feeling Soulreach because we don't have much ranged and it seems pretty decent for a single attack. I think overall it'll do more damage in the long run than the Scythe, but the Scythe does do well against horde units.