AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

3 hours ago, The Cyclop Owl said:

I've been trying to find a point count for the mourngul, does it exist? Couldn't find it in the leaks or the GHB17, but the warscroll is so powerful!

Mourgul is a Forge World model. FW models do not, and will never appear in a mainline GW book like the GHB.

Its current points values can be found here: https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Pitched-Battle-profiles.pdf

When it (and the rest of FW) will get its 2018 update is currently unknown.

• Like 1

Personally think the Craven King Model is pretty cool, floating around on his throne with a musician and standard bearer following him about. Mortarch of grief not so interested and the last named hero looks good in the artwork, hope he's tanky in combat.

3 hours ago, MightyMetro said:

With the new boxset inbound and a shiny new battletomb around the corner, I like many others am preparing to jump on the Nighthaunt bandwagon.  At the moment, I'm trying to wrap my head around all the heroes - 11 in total, i believe!  This is how i surmise them so far

Non-buffing heroes

• Cairn Wraith:  3 attacks / Frightful Touch (FT) 2mw / no buffs.
  • Tomb Banshee:  1 attack / FT d3mw, / Ghostly Howl max 8mw / no buff
  • Lord Executioner:  3 attacks / +2 dam on a 6toHit / no buff

Buffing Heroes

• Spirit Torment:  Heal and Return  max d3 wnds /  buff: reroll 1 toHit
  • Guardian of Souls:  Wizard, Heal and Return  max d6 wnds / buff: + 1 toWnd
  • Knight of Shrouds on Foot:  buff: +1 toHit = Command Ability
  • Knight of Shrouds on Steed:  buff: +1 attack = Command Ability

Coming soon: big 3 named heroes and the Dreadblade Harrow. 11 heroes in total!

My assessment:

It seems that, in general, NH have a lot of melee attacks, but toHit and toWnd could be better.  So, the KOS seems like an auto include.  KOSoS would be a welcome inclusion, points allowing. GoS is another auto include as the only wizard.   ST, meanwhile, seems a halfway house somewhere between the KOS and GOS.

TB offer the Ghostly Howl.  At (2D12 - target unit bravery) mw this could be fun versus hordes of grots or clanrats, but useless vs daemons.  So,  inclusion will depend on my opponent.

CW and LE both seem a little meh.  Would these points would be better spent on units elsewhere?

List-building for Match-Play

Im guessing around 500 points in most lists for

1. KOS
  2. GOS
  3. a centerpiece big-3 hero

plus:

1. TB x2  for certain opponents or
  2. KOSoS and/or ST

Not expecting to use LE nor CW regularly.

Ive never played with nor against NH.  But I have fallen for the hype.  Can NH veterans enlighten me?   Am I making any rookie mistakes in my assessment of the heroes so far?

Cairn Wraiths were always worth taking in the past because they are good in a fight, helped us summon our units, could power up the Black Coach, and gave 6+ ignore damage Deathless Minions to nearby models all for an extremely low point cost.  We don't know what their purpose will be going forward or if they will receive any changes.  They remain stupendously cheap so they could turn out awesome again.

Lord Executioner is not a buff hero, but he does Debuff enemy heroes.  I am not a huge fan of him either but he is better than people are giving him credit for.

Banshees were a 'bring one just in case' type hero in the past, because we could "deep-strike" her to snipe heroes/chaff in our older version.  We are no longer sure if we will get any sort of deployment options in the new Battle tome, and if she has to foot slog she will become way less good.  Her scream range is only 12".

Guardian of Souls is for sure an auto-include, unless you are bringing the Mortarch or allying in Arkhan.  We don't exactly know what the Mortarch of Grief does but everyone is assuming she is a caster of some kind.  Even if you do have Arkhan or Grief the Guardian of Souls is a solid wizard.  Unrendable saves and the whole lot.

Nighthaunt usually brought a lot of heroes because they were cheap and effective and we didn't have many unit options.  Exactly how all these pieces fit together in the new version depends a lot on the final form of our Battle Tome.

• Thanks 2

Agreed; surprised we havnt seen any bravery debuff so far.

Im getting the feel of how we work.. setting your battleline/tarpit face-first into the enemy and having your second rank drifting straight through the melee to either engage soft targets/priorities or doubling up and charging the rear, while your support heroes keep close to hand out buffs and regenerate your troops.

I am hoping we retain the artefact that boosted our movement range in order to maximize on our entire army having 'fly'.

You can also bubblewrap your damage dealers like the executioner or perhaps the Mourngul and simply phase thru any interlopers that charge you in order to persue proper targets

Edited by Neck-Romantic
  • Like 1

If we still have the Pendant of the Fell Wind I will be over the moon.  It was basically grafted into my Mr. Shrouds because I never used anything else.

With battalions giving more command points, and additional artifacts I can see taking them in most lists.  So a Fell Wind would not necessarily prevent other cool artifacts being taken as well.

22 hours ago, MightyMetro said:

TB offer the Ghostly Howl.  At (2D12 - target unit bravery) mw this could be fun versus hordes of grots or clanrats, but useless vs daemons.  So,  inclusion will depend on my opponent.

As a Nighthaunt player I can verify this. TBs are quite useful, except against any 10 bravery army. 

But I want to point out one match I had, where my TB screamed two units of Stormvermin off the table and exploded a canon with the raw power of her voice. That is one 80pts model destroying about 400pts of units!

Edited by Bohemond
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Nevar said:

.Guardian of Souls is for sure an auto-include, unless you are bringing the Mortarch or allying in Arkhan.  We don't exactly know what the Mortarch of Grief does but everyone is assuming she is a caster of some kind. 

I would guess one of the 2 other named heroes (maybe the the Craven King ?) is also an other wizard. Seing magic is the new big thing, and the GoS is not really a top caster... If not it would boringly make the Corps Bride an auto-take... 

The Pegasus guy could be the killer and the seated king a buffing guy/average wizard ? (yet they are not very expensive heroes if I recall correctly, so probably nothing crazy to expect...)

Edited by christophe
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Nevar said:

Cairn Wraiths were always worth taking ... ....  We don't know what their purpose will be going forward 

3 hours ago, Bohemond said:

my TB screamed two units of Stormvermin off the table and exploded a canon with the power of her voice. That is one 80pts unit destroying about 400pts of units!

I guess i wondered whether CW and TB were being positioned as weaker heroes.  Still available, but less desirable.  (Gotta sell all those expensive new character models somehow ;))

9 hours ago, Nevar said:

Lord Executioner is not a buff hero, but he does Debuff enemy heroes.  I am not a huge fan of him either but he is better than people are giving him credit for.

I watched Guerilla Games play new NH vs SC on youtube last night. Perhaps, i judged LE to early.  It occurs to be that the debuff toHit may be more important than i first thought due to the Etheral save.  With other armies, i look to buff save this, but this isnt possible.  

9 hours ago, Nevar said:

Guardian of Souls is for sure an auto-include, ...  We don't exactly know what the Mortarch of Grief does but everyone is assuming she is a caster of some kind. 

What are the chances that the GoS and KoSoS are box set exclusive for the forseeable future. Like the bloodsecrator or  Khorgorath in AOS 1.?  Myrmourn Banshees for dispell along with named characters would provide NH with alternative magic outwith the box.

41 minutes ago, MightyMetro said:

What are the chances that the GoS and KoSoS are box set exclusive for the forseeable future. Like the bloodsecrator or  Khorgorath in AOS 1.?  Myrmourn Banshees for dispell along with named characters would provide NH with alternative magic outwith the box.

There has already been pictures of alternate GoS models as well as alternate Lord Executioners.  I would worry more about the Spirit Torment and Horse of Shrouds being exclusives TBH.

• Like 1

So is the main way to go with these guys Chain Rasp hordes in the future, buffed by the heroes? The fact that they cant get rended down means that 1/3 of the things that hit and wound just bounce off of them no matter what, and they provide a pretty decent amount of bodies for the points. 

5 hours ago, Vasshpit said:

Word on the vine is that alternate GoS is some kind of exclusive model... Store anniversary something or other...

I'm actually pretty pissed off about it BUT don't know full details so trying to stay cool. ?

Yes, the model with lamp/vase is a warhammer anniversary exclusive, available only in stores on the anniversary of the store opening. I think that sucks, and I'm hoping there will be more models available than what we've seen so far. The exclusive miniature is a clampack that makes two variants. So that essentially rules out two miniatures from the preview.

I'm also hoping that the other banshee models might be a dual-kit that would allow you to build the Myrmourn variant as well, as they're better in larger units, it would be nice to be able to create different looking models without doing too much converting.

8 hours ago, Nevar said:

There has already been pictures of alternate GoS models as well as alternate Lord Executioners.  I would worry more about the Spirit Torment and Horse of Shrouds being exclusives TBH.

Something tells me that the Spirit torment will be avaible to build with the chainghasts, akin to pusgoyles.

13 hours ago, ZaelART said:

Yes, the model with lamp/vase is a warhammer anniversary exclusive, available only in stores on the anniversary of the store opening. I think that sucks, and I'm hoping there will be more models available than what we've seen so far. The exclusive miniature is a clampack that makes two variants. So that essentially rules out two miniatures from the preview.

I'm also hoping that the other banshee models might be a dual-kit that would allow you to build the Myrmourn variant as well, as they're better in larger units, it would be nice to be able to create different looking models without doing too much converting.

It's a pain in the ****** to be sure, but there's enough stores out there that anniversary's aren't so uncommon. This also means that even if you personally cannot reach a store, there's liable to be plenty of these models up on Ebay at not-too-horrendous prices.

I wouldn't be surprised if people here and elsewhere coordinate to get one another a model if there's an event happening locally anyhow.

Edited by Clan's Cynic

Hey guys 

Can any one help me build a list for a 2000p tornament 

I think 

1 knight of shroud   120

1 guardian of souls  140

1 lord executioner    80

1 spirit torment       120

1 knight of shroud on steed  140

2x 20 chainrasp 2x 160

2x 6 spirits 2x 240

10 reapers 140