AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

Welcome to the new Nighthaunt discussion thread!  Following on from the release of the second edition Age of Sigmar rules, this thread is the main thread to talk about all things related the Nighthaunt allegiance of Grand Alliance Death.  For new players the Nighthaunt are legions of ethereal ghosts and souls who do Nagash' bidding, many being punished for heinous crimes committed in life.

We do encourage people to create your own threads talking about your armies, home written fan fiction, conversions and paint jobs (not everybody frequents the painting forum), but this thread will be the central place to talk tactics, list building and general conversation and similar.  You all know the drill!

For easy reference, here's a link to the old Let's Chat thread, it still contains lots of gems of information!  http://www.tga.community/forums/topic/11436-lets-chat-nighthaunt/

Continuing on from the previous thread, I think we will see the NH army gain the frightful touch  or a similar variant. We have to remember that we are still due a battletome, which is released in July and I am confident that the warscrolls we’ve seen for new NH units will get updated. Exactly how it was for the last starter set and all start collecting boxes. 

Regardless, it’s a fresh army and I’m so excited. Already blown ??? on preorders and I’m just waiting patiently. 

Also, if anyone wants to see how they perform there’s a few new battle reports on YouTube from Ash who has his channel guirilla miniature war gaming. Check it out.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dracothjay said:

Regardless, it’s a fresh army and I’m so excited. Already blown ??? on preorders and I’m just waiting patiently. 

Also, if anyone wants to see how they perform there’s a few new battle reports on YouTube from Ash who has his channel guirilla miniature war gaming. Check it out.

Yeah even if I have been disappointed in some things, that is mainly due to my own hyping up of my own expectations and ideas.  The models are amazing, and the rules seem good.  I am totally excited and have already pre-ordered a bunch and the whole 9 yards.  Still super stoked.

Also in that battle report the star of the show was the Pendulum.  :D

• Like 1

I have to say, Hordes put me off, but I guess if that's their schtick it's a solid GW business decision. I was hoping the resurrection was a solid way to represent endless legions without resorting gigantic mounds of plastic.

I'll stick with my game-plan and run Hexwraiths and Spirit Hosts, maybe some Grimghast Reapers if I need another battleline. But I don't think I'm going to run any units >20 models. I don't have it in me. Hopefully that won't nerf me too hard, will just have to wait and see what the Battletome brings!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ZaelART said:

I have to say, Hordes put me off, but I guess if that's their schtick it's a solid GW business decision. I was hoping the resurrection was a solid way to represent endless legions without resorting gigantic mounds of plastic.

I'll stick with my game-plan and run Hexwraiths and Spirit Hosts, maybe some Grimghast Reapers if I need another battleline. But I don't think I'm going to run any units >20 models. I don't have it in me. Hopefully that won't nerf me too hard, will just have to wait and see what the Battletome brings!

Well don't forget they also have the Bladegheist Revenants and the Dreadscythe Herridans which are very much elite point costed in the leaked points.

With 5/20 unit sizes on both of those units, plus being only over 300 points by half of the cheapest endless spells, they could very easily allow for a more 'elite' Nighthaunt that you are looking for.  I know I am stoked to learn more about the Bladegheists as they seem like my cup of tea.  For a more elite feel you could fill your battleline with Spirit Hosts and Grimghasts to avoid the hordy Chainrasps, and then spend the big bucks on the more elite units like Hexwraiths, Dreadblades, and Bladegheists.

Also in relation to an older topic, Herridans could potentially have some ranged ability.  They are some form of banshee looking things and their names literally mean;

"a strict, bossy, or belligerent old woman."

41 minutes ago, ZaelART said:

Yeah hordes are off putting to me simply cause I don't like moving so many models during a game, also painting and storing them. I mean a blob of 30 skeletons or chainrasps is okay.  But if you double or triple that then its too much for me. I'm kinda waiting on the actual nighthaunt battletome to see if they are an army worth investing in, I want to see what 1k-1500 point lists for them will be looking like.

• Like 1

Agreed. It's a shame they put out the box first and BTome later, though that's just how you have to do it in a cash-grab business model.

I think most of us are picking up the SoulWars Nighthaunt units mostly because we've been jonesing for new models all this time, but I honestly think we are going to find the actual good units will be the ones coming with the book.

One can say the Spirit Torment and Guardian are worth picking up now... but I actually much prefer the leaked image of the other Torment model where he is swinging bricks like mad

Edited by Neck-Romantic

3 minutes ago, Neck-Romantic said:

Agreed. It's a shame they put out the box first and BTome later, though that's just how you have to do it in a cash-grab business model.

I think most of us are picking up the SoulWars Nighthaunt units mostly because we've been jonesing for new models all this time, but I honestly think we are going to find the actual good units will be the ones coming with the book.

One can say the Spirit Torment and Guardian are worth picking up now... but I actually much prefer the leaked image of the other Torment model where he is swinging bricks like mad

Actually, those are a unit called, "Chainghasts" who come in units of 2-4.  Notice the difference between the weapons, Spirit Torments have padlocks on the end of their chains, Chainghasts have flail looking things on their chains.  Unless of course there has been a leaked image of a new Spirit Torment I have not seen, and if so PLZ share.

Also, I know not everyone plays Skirmish, but the addition of a lot of smaller popcorn units does give me a lot more variety in my Skirmish lists.  Right now I have a six model skirmish warband and my Daughter of Khaine opponent has dozens.  Charging more than one enemy model is really hard when they specifically spread out so my Spirit Hosts have to throw all their attacks into a single witch, before like 8 of them pile onto it and pull it down.  :P

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ZaelART said:

Exactly my thoughts. Even with the HW & SH plus the possible addition of the Grimghast Reapers.
I must add that I loved a couple of heroes too, like the Executioner and new Black Coach, at least for the models. Another one that caught my attention was the Guardian of souls. A ghost that's also a mage? Yes please!

4 hours ago, Nevar said:

Also, I know not everyone plays Skirmish, but the addition of a lot of smaller popcorn units does give me a lot more variety in my Skirmish lists.  Right now I have a six model skirmish warband and my Daughter of Khaine opponent has dozens.  Charging more than one enemy model is really hard when they specifically spread out so my Spirit Hosts have to throw all their attacks into a single witch, before like 8 of them pile onto it and pull it down.  :P

I do play skirmish and relish every time I find other Skirmish players. It's criminally underrated! I'm glad to see they continue to support the book though.

2 hours ago, Envyus said:

So how many units will we likely be able to bring in the legions of Nagash. 

So far we know for sure that we can use all of the model in the Soul Wars box, plus the foot Knight of Shrouds, in Legions of Nagash.

I would not be surprised if they were the only ones to be allowed, but neither would I be surprised to see them all allowed across the allegiances.

We do however know that all of the Legions of Nagash have 'Nighthaunt' as valid allies.  So no matter what you will be able to use all of the Nighthaunt models in a Legion of Nagash army.  I am 90% sure that includes the Mourngul as well.

33 minutes ago, Ungface said:

think people missed out on the fact that the original interview in the NH focus where it talked about frightful touch was talking about how NH was THEN not with the new units.

Whether FT materialises across the faction or not, I’m still keen and have high hopes for NH. From batreps that I’ve watched, without all units having FT, NH seem pretty good anyway. Their main bonus is that they can take any slap that’s thrown at them.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Dracothjay said:

Whether FT materialises across the faction or not, I’m still keen and have high hopes for NH. From batreps that I’ve watched, without all units having FT, NH seem pretty good anyway. Their main bonus is that they can take any slap that’s thrown at them.

Yeah this is how I see them too, rather than the MW aspect. Very resilient 'attrition' army that will wear down an opponent.

Attractive to me as I currently play DoK which is the polar opposite Glass Cannon!

• Like 1

Both Chaingeists and Bladegheists look to be our more intimidating elites. 

Oh, and is anyone else a bit underwhelmed by our 2 named hero models? Depending on rules I might have convert/kitbash either of them.

Thinking some sort of LoTR/Hobbit ringwraith, either the WitchKing or the dude with horns as our Craven King..

4 hours ago, Ungface said:

I think people missed out on the fact that the original interview in the NH focus where it talked about frightful touch was talking about how NH was THEN not with the new units.

As a prospective new AoS player, that concerns me a little bit - why write an article one day specifically addressing the new edition, then retcon the info a month later in an article that implied it continued, not superseded the original text? Starts to feel like whiplash. It makes me wonder if I should expect big thematic shifts like this to whole factions often. Will it happen again in the BT?

Certainly makes me question the relevance of the faction focus articles now, which until now I had thought were fantastic gateways. It the information within is incorrect, then I'm back at square one, looking in from outside wondering how not to waste my money lol

Edited by Lemondish

8 hours ago, Nevar said:

So far we know for sure that we can use all of the model in the Soul Wars box, plus the foot Knight of Shrouds, in Legions of Nagash.

I would not be surprised if they were the only ones to be allowed, but neither would I be surprised to see them all allowed across the allegiances.

We do however know that all of the Legions of Nagash have 'Nighthaunt' as valid allies.  So no matter what you will be able to use all of the Nighthaunt models in a Legion of Nagash army.  I am 90% sure that includes the Mourngul as well.

I've been trying to find a point count for the mourngul, does it exist? Couldn't find it in the leaks or the GHB17, but the warscroll is so powerful!

3 hours ago, ClockworkGeo91 said:

Yeah this is how I see them too, rather than the MW aspect. Very resilient 'attrition' army that will wear down an opponent.

Attractive to me as I currently play DoK which is the polar opposite Glass Cannon!

That, plus the CC abilities are just disgustingly good. The support characters that give +1 to hit and +1 to wound will be so good with the battleline, especially the spirit hordes now doing a MW on a 5+. Not necessarily something you want to bet on, but a solid bonus that will help churning through enemy lines. I guess that's why they didn't want to implement it across the board, it would be tricky to balance with the presence of so many buffs.

All in all, if they're good I'm definitely starting an army with them; I think they'll be the perfect way to get introduced to competitive, as they tend to simplify several aspects of the game and focus on table presence.
I started a Tzeentch army in the winter hoping to run a skyfire list, but now the only list that seems viable is a massive horde summoning / magic twisted army that seems super costly and would take ages to paint...

With the new boxset inbound and a shiny new battletomb around the corner, I like many others am preparing to jump on the Nighthaunt bandwagon.  At the moment, I'm trying to wrap my head around all the heroes - 11 in total, i believe!  This is how i surmise them so far

Non-buffing heroes

• Cairn Wraith:  3 attacks / Frightful Touch (FT) 2mw / no buffs.
  • Tomb Banshee:  1 attack / FT d3mw, / Ghostly Howl max 8mw / no buff
  • Lord Executioner:  3 attacks / +2 dam on a 6toHit / no buff

Buffing Heroes

• Spirit Torment:  Heal and Return  max d3 wnds /  buff: reroll 1 toHit
  • Guardian of Souls:  Wizard, Heal and Return  max d6 wnds / buff: + 1 toWnd
  • Knight of Shrouds on Foot:  buff: +1 toHit = Command Ability
  • Knight of Shrouds on Steed:  buff: +1 attack = Command Ability

Coming soon: big 3 named heroes and the Dreadblade Harrow. 11 heroes in total!

My assessment:

It seems that, in general, NH have a lot of melee attacks, but toHit and toWnd could be better.  So, the KOS seems like an auto include.  KOSoS would be a welcome inclusion, points allowing. GoS is another auto include as the only wizard.   ST, meanwhile, seems a halfway house somewhere between the KOS and GOS.

TB offer the Ghostly Howl.  At (2D12 - target unit bravery) mw this could be fun versus hordes of grots or clanrats, but useless vs daemons.  So,  inclusion will depend on my opponent.

CW and LE both seem a little meh.  Would these points would be better spent on units elsewhere?

List-building for Match-Play

Im guessing around 500 points in most lists for

1. KOS
  2. GOS
  3. a centerpiece big-3 hero

plus:

1. TB x2  for certain opponents or
  2. KOSoS and/or ST

Not expecting to use LE nor CW regularly.

Ive never played with nor against NH.  But I have fallen for the hype.  Can NH veterans enlighten me?   Am I making any rookie mistakes in my assessment of the heroes so far?

• Like 1