AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Ive done Some maths and a full powered epidemius increases 36%  rate of success each attack for plaguebearers and putrid blightking, Sweet amount in Theory, I Have to Give It a try.

And Tomorrow I Have My First Tournament Ever! Any Advice?

20 minutes ago, peasant said:

Ive done Some maths and a full powered epidemius increases 36%  rate of success each attack for plaguebearers and putrid blightking, Sweet amount in Theory, I Have to Give It a try.

And Tomorrow I Have My First Tournament Ever! Any Advice?

Don't get too discouraged if you don't do as well as you anticipate. There's a lot of power gamers that populate tournaments. Use it as a way to learn new strategy, whats works'/ doesn't work etc. Remember, no one build is going to (usually) win every time in every scenario. 

Have fun! It's a game after all.

Edited by Tasman
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Tasman said:

Don't get too discouraged if you don't do as well as you anticipate. There's a lot of power gamers that populate tournaments. Use it as a way to learn new strategy, whats works'/ doesn't work etc. Remember, no one build is going to (usually) win every time in every scenario. 

Have fun! It's a game after all.

Great Advice! Thx I Will focus on Learning and having Fun!

Haven't seen much discussion of blended Nurgle/Pestilens lists in this thread yet. Because the Verminlord Corruptor has the NURGLE and DAEMON keywords, I'm really intrigued by the thought of using him as the general in a mixed Nurgle/Pestilens force with Maggotkin allegiance. Might not be top tier competitive, but there are some nice synergies. I have a lot of experience with Pestilens (username possibly gives that away), but am newer to Nurgle so curious to hear what people with more Nurgle experience think. 

Plague Monks have by far the most base damage output per point of anything in a Nurgle army, let's find ways to use them more! 

Potential list: 

General: Verminlord Corruptor (220) 

Plague Priest: 80

Poxbringer: 120

Lord of Blights: 140

30 Plaguebearers: 320

10 Plaguebearers: 120 (just to serve as a screen for the Monks)

5 Blightkings: 160

40 Plague Monks: 240

Plague Furnace: 180

Total Points: 1900, so +2 command points

Total Wounds: 187

(Or if we want to be really risky we could bring a Purple Sun and have the Verminlord drop it into the enemy line while he is protected by a sea of Plaguebearers...) 

Lord of Blights using his command ability to debuff enemy to hit on a Monks unit because Pestilens biggest weakness is Monks getting cut down before arriving at the enemy. Plaguebearers and Blightkings to hold enemies in place and hold objectives. And the Monks carrying the furnace in between as an absolute nuke to smash into the enemy wherever we need. We get a nice mix of tankiness and killing power here, curious what people think. 

Edited by Lord_Skrolk
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Lord_Skrolk said:

Haven't seen much discussion of blended Nurgle/Pestilens lists in this thread yet. Because the Verminlord Corruptor has the NURGLE and DAEMON keywords, I'm really intrigued by the thought of using him as the general in a mixed Nurgle/Pestilens force with Maggotkin allegiance. Might not be top tier competitive, but there are some nice synergies. I have a lot of experience with Pestilens (username possibly gives that away), but am newer to Nurgle so curious to hear what people with more Nurgle experience think. 

I like this. I've been wanting to explore a Nurgle/Pestilens list. The buffs the dial can provide are nice. Would Pestilens wizards be able to use Foul Regen to move the wheel?

11 minutes ago, Aaron Schmidt said:

I like this. I've been wanting to explore a Nurgle/Pestilens list. The buffs the dial can provide are nice. Would Pestilens wizards be able to use Foul Regen to move the wheel?

Yep, the Verminlord Corruptor can use Foul Regen to move the wheel. And can also bring the ability to move the wheel forward or back as a Nurgle Daemon. Lot of flexibility to get it where we want with this model, those Monks can get zipping around the board in a hurry! 

5 hours ago, Lord_Skrolk said:

Plague Monks have by far the most base damage output per point of anything in a Nurgle army, let's find ways to use them more! 

Potential list: 

General: Verminlord Corruptor (220) 

Poxbringer: 120

Lord of Blights: 140

30 Plaguebearers: 320

10 Plaguebearers: 120 (just to serve as a screen for the Monks)

5 Blightkings: 160

Plague Furnace: 180

Total Points: 1900, so +2 command points

Total Wounds: 187

(Or if we want to be really risky we could bring a Purple Sun and have the Verminlord drop it into the enemy line while he is protected by a sea of Plaguebearers...) 

Lord of Blights using his command ability to debuff enemy to hit on a Monks unit because Pestilens biggest weakness is Monks getting cut down before arriving at the enemy. Plaguebearers and Blightkings to hold enemies in place and hold objectives. And the Monks carrying the furnace in between as an absolute nuke to smash into the enemy wherever we need. We get a nice mix of tankiness and killing power here, curious what people think. 

Remove poxbringer and add a rotbringer sorcerer. How can you have 80 monks and no blades of putrefaction???

22 hours ago, Darkfine said:

3.  Nurgle summoning is vastly different than anyone else’s.  For starts our summoning is fairy unique in that it can shut down reasonably well.  If your opponent parks on trees and gets in your face quickly you will struggle to summon at all, about 10 Plaguebearers actually. 

Starting turn two I plan on getting an average of 8 points a turn. only 2 of those coming from a tree. Why do you think the summoning is easy to shut down?

Typical game cumulative points per round assuming you can deep strike or otherwise get into their territory turn on turn 1). with/without tree starting turn 2
1 - 6
2 - 14 (12)
3 - 22 (18)
4 - 30 (24)
5 - 38 (30)

So the tree provides about 27% of the points.  

11 minutes ago, sorokyl said:

Starting turn two I plan on getting an average of 8 points a turn. only 2 of those coming from a tree. Why do you think the summoning is easy to shut down?

Typical game cumulative points per round assuming you can deep strike or otherwise get into their territory turn on turn 1). with/without tree starting turn 2
1 - 6
2 - 14 (12)
3 - 22 (18)
4 - 30 (24)
5 - 38 (30)

Alpha strike armies that can keep you in your deployment zone.  The only reliable deep strike we have is Spume and 300 points is a huge investment in something that might not even work.

Worst case scenario, which I played through mind you, is getting locked into your deployment zone with your only tree shut down.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, sorokyl said:

1 - 6
2 - 14 (12)
3 - 22 (18)
4 - 30 (24)
5 - 38 (30)

Mmmm I was excited with Our summoning but is not The Big Deal if You compare It with tzeentch or slaanesh, even Khorne is better. If You Want to Get More contagion Points try horticulous and Lord of plagues. And nurglings to appear in The Enemy Zone! 

Our summoning isn’t bad, it wins games.  It just isn’t what everyone else’s is.

I could be wrong but I think chasing incidental Contagion Points with things like Epi and the Lord is sort of a red herring.  

Slimux on the other, I think that guy is the bees knees.  Since his ability and tree farming happen at the same time you get to pick the order.  So turn one sees you getting 6-10 points on turn one.  Coupled with the fact that Slimux is actually decent in combat and dude seems like a winner in any list.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Darkfine said:

Our summoning isn’t bad, it wins games.  It just isn’t what everyone else’s is.

I could be wrong but I think chasing incidental Contagion Points with things like Epi and the Lord is sort of a red herring.  

Slimux on the other, I think that guy is the bees knees.  Since his ability and tree farming happen at the same time you get to pick the order.  So turn one sees you getting 6-10 points on turn one.  Coupled with the fact that Slimux is actually decent in combat and dude seems like a winner in any list.

My problem is with low point lists.  How high a point range is needed to field Slimux, something with Ambush, something to stay in your deployment zone, something to manipulate the corruption cycle, and something to go for objectives and win?  That's a lot of somethings.  

Edited by grungolah

25 minutes ago, grungolah said:

My problem is with low point lists.  How high a point range is needed to field Slimux, something with Ambush, something to stay in your deployment zone, something to manipulate the corruption cycle, and something to go for objectives and win?  That's a lot of somethings.  

Here is two flavors, one is more of an all comers list and the other is heavily weighted to fight anything without guns.

I understand why everyone is super into ambush mechanics but we seriously don’t need them.  Now, if Nurglings weren’t stuck to deploying in cover I’d be more in favor of starting every list with them but it is to easy to deny them their ability in AoS.  Also not paying 300 points for it either. 

5465D9B1-E80E-443A-BECE-BC7D5EAE4F45.png

E6C3CBBD-316B-41A7-86FB-31788457F877.png

Edited by Darkfine