AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

24 minutes ago, Avvien said:

As for summoning, I tend to save up for when I have 21 contagion points (turn 4 usually), then summon 5 plaguebearers at 3 different locations to swarm objectives. If the game only has one objective, and the enemy has control of it, I'll summon them all near that objective and have 3 chances to charge! most times the 5 bodies is enough to take control. I've won a lot of games this way lately.

Thats a great way to use summonig vs less model count armies. 

I will keep that one in mind. Thx for the tip. 

Thinking of trying to get the vortex with the sorcerer.  Being a Plague Squall battery in the corner of the battlefield.  Giving him Muttergrub and casting all the spells including foul regenisis.  Not having the Poxbringer and using those points for other things.

Here is what I came up with.  C&C Welcome

Nurgle2kv2.pdf

Hi fellas!

Yesterday I played my 2nd game to AoS ( 1st on AoS 2.0). First I have to tell you I had a truly great time! Very fun. Well, It was  1k vs Khorne.

My list

1 LoA, rustfang, +2 Charge/run

1 Festus

1x2 Pusgoyle Blightlords

1x10 Putrid Blightkings

1x3 Nurglings

Khorne, was more or less

1 Mighty lord of khorne

3x Slaughter priest

1x3 SkullCrushers

1x10 Blood warriors

1x20 Bloodreavers

The battleplan was focal points. Khorne moved first to reclaim centra and right objectives and pass his turn. In mine, LoA moved bravely to confront the unit of blood Warriors, mighty lord and a priest, after giving 8" to the pusgoyles blightlords so they run 20" taking their home objective! Nurgling appeared at the left objective. In short, putrid blightkings killed everything and I summoned units of 5 plaguebearers to sit in the newly liberated objectives! vIn the end it was 27/22 Nurgle victory.

My opinion, Festus didnt cast any spell at all! but concealed in the unit of putrid blightkings keep the alive so any king died! And about the putrid blightkings... I think 10 were overkill, they are nightmare for the opponent. The pusgoyle blightlords were good hunting lonely heroes specially combined with the LoA command.LoA died in a turn but his noble sacrifice bought time to the rest of the army. 

I dont know if i should keep that list for the 14th july tournament or use this one

1 horticulous

1 gutrot

2x1 poxbringer

2x5 putrid blightkings

1x10 plague monks

• Like 2

1 hour ago, peasant said:

I noticed some of our units deal MW on a 6+ in the hero phase like the blightkings or blightlords. Is then a way to add +1? because if there is no way why not on only 6?

Legacy ruling from AoS 1.0 where modifiers could affect "critical" effects. Newer stuff are now on unmodified rolls.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Tuskan said:

I run plague cyst myself. My current 2k list:

Chaos Sorcerer Lord on Manticore - 200

I'm really intrigued as I'm looking at the plague cyst as my next project, why the manticore? I can see it being useful for chasing relocation orbs and also to give your force aesthetic variation but the model unit itself looks underwhelming to me. I will admit to being ignorant of combos so I thought it best to ask.

For 200 points, I like what he does.

He's a flyer so I can have him by-pass enemy chaff.

He's a wizard, so he can capture and hold the new matched play objectives.

Being a wizard, he can also throw any endless spells I bring, and usually from a great position given how fast he moves.

He can unbind!

He brings a special ability that costs no command points and doesn't require a spell-cast, which lets you re-roll saves of 1 on a target unit (I use this only on him, since I already play The Blessed Sons for the rest of the army)

He's decently killy in melee, and is an excellent monster hunter with re-rolls to hit them.

He's a mortal, and nurgle-marked, thus he's affected by things like the Harbinger's Morbid Vigour 5++ save and other nurgle-synergies (like healing from BK's).

He's easy to place where I want him or need him to be. Objectives, a specific terrain feature, someplace where he can generate more contagion points, or most often; Where I want the effect of whichever artefact of power he's holding (usually The Carrion Dirge for -2 bravery on all surrounding enemies).

And finally, once in a blue moon his spell rolls for 10+ mortal wounds and your opponent goes completely pale-faced :D

If I wanted something similar to him, I'd be looking at a Lord of Afflictions instead, though that would be 220 points (+20), he'd not be able to cast any endless spells I bring, or unbind enemy spells. He'd lose the ability to hold certain objectives. He'd be 8 wounds instead of 12, 8 move instead of 12... It seems a sorry trade unless I were to build pusgoyle/drone list.

And I'll admit, I think he looks cool! I just finished painting mine this morning, here he is!

hKIA1D6.jpg

Edited by Avvien
  • Like 2

Well, I stand (I'm actually sat) corrected. A well thought out use beyond 'dmg 1, useless' and yes he is looking awesome! Great job on those wings. I'm so used to Ironjawz that the synergies and tactics on MoN are taking a little getting used to but I'm looking forward to starting. Thank you.

That about sums it up! - I like to think of it as a free mystic shield for my entire army that I don't need to roll for and which the enemy can't unbind :D

Still, 100 points for an extra artefact and extra command point is a steal.