AoS 2 - Disciples of Tzeentch Discussion

Gaz Taylor

I'm loving all the talk of Fatesworn Warband. I don't have nearly the models to field one myself (yet), but its interesting that such a new playstyle has now opened up. 

So, what do people think about using the Fatemaster in such a list? Allow me to remind you of a few details of this guy that would be relevant in such a list, which you might have forgotten because he's been hiding under a rock for all of 1st Edition:

- His command ability. Roll a dice in hero phase. Until next hero phase, you can reroll all dice that match that number for Tzeentch Mortal units within 9". Generally considered to be pretty garbage, because if you roll a 4 or higher it won't really help with any hits or wounds, i.e. the majority of all dice rolls. BUT if we are spamming Acolytes, then any roll other 6 allows you to get get more bites at the 6+ shield shrug-save. Questionable whether its worth the command point, but if you cluster enough acolytes around him it might be.

- He has a decent number of Rend - attacks that will benefit from the Fatesworn buff. 

- He is one of the best heroes we can bring to act as a summoning beacon. Can cover a huge amount of distance in the hero phase to pop out your summons wherever you need them.

- The change to Mystic shield was pretty good for him. He can now become one of the best models in the game for tanking big infantry units that rely on huge numbers of low-rend attacks (looks at Witch Elves), with 2+ rerolling 1s in the combat phase. 

Edited by BillyOcean
some wonky math
  • Like 2

I got to play a 1000 point game against a friend the other day, he's very new to the game and he wanted to be shown the changes in the new edition (CP's, Piling in, etc).

He was using Stormcast with the named Celestant on drake, Castellant, Lantern hero, 6 Prosecutors with 2 hammers and 2 x 10 liberators. I used Ogroid, Magister, 30 Acolytes, 10 Pink horrors and 3 Skyfires.

It was a really fun game, he really enjoyed it and I got thoroughly smashed, the Skyfires were massively disappointing without a Tzaangor Shaman near by, I won't be using them again without one. Ogroid was stellar, Magister was nice but I failed his 4+ for a spawn twice in a row. Horrors are squishy but resilient if they don't get wiped in one turn, using a DD for a 1 on the BS test.

I'm playing 1500 on the 3rd July with all the new lovely smelling rulebooks in hand :D I'm going to give the following a go

Gaunt Summoner of Tzeentch - 180
Ogroid - 180
Magister - 140

Tzaangors - 480
Pink Horrors - 200
Acolytes - 80

Tzaangor Enlightened on Disc - 160

Umbrall Spell Portal - 60
Soulbind Shackles - 20 

I'll let you know how that goes. 

Edited by AaronWIlson
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, The Cyclop Owl said:

Skyfires require a certain critical mass before they are efficient. I’ve played units of 3 before and they were always disappointing.

Yeah I think 6+ with Tzaangor Shaman near by is there minimum point in which they put out enough.  

Sirs, how does it work when summoning a balewind vortex with the pink horrors? The one on balewind cant be shut off because i say who gets deleted of the unit? As he balewind becomes one with the model does he just need to have coherency? So you practically lock the unit in place? Any other things to consider?

I think its a great tool and if you have paid the 40 points you can delete it and resummon with a pink for flexibility, for example a fold reality on the skyfires far away....

P.S. I used 3 Skyfires in my 1000p list for 2 years now, and it was the only constant in my list. I suspect I will continue with it, because they are still good for many things. And targetting no heroes anymore but the next in line which would be elite unites such as Storm Fiends, Kurnoth Hunters, and others....

PPS: my current idea for 1k points:

3x Skyfires 220
2x10 Pinks 400
1x Curseling 160
1x Ogroid Thaumaturge 180
1x Balewind Vortex 40

Edited by boelimaa

Information from Balewind Vortex warscroll: "Wizards with a Wounds characteristic of 9 or more, that are part of a unit of two or more models, or that are already on a Balewind Vortex, cannot attempt to cast this spell".

So only your last pink survivor can summon it ;).

Edited by Quarmiel

10 minutes ago, boelimaa said:

Autsch.... ok....even that one cannot i think..... its still a wizard with wounds characteristic minimal to minimum unit size isnt it?

Last pink is a lone one-wound model in a unit, so nothing should prevent him from summoning Balewind Vortex.

4 minutes ago, Quarmiel said:

Last pink is a lone one-wound model in a unit, so nothing should prevent him from summoning Balewind Vortex.

Then it should be possible starting having 8 Models in the unit left no?

edit: disregard. Those who can read are in favor....

Edited by boelimaa

I think if you're going to go the fate point route Fatesworn warband is a better way to go. you can get 14-16 spells a turn as well as have 40 acolytes with -1 rend on there missile attacks, 10 horrors and some other chafff. 

Edited by AaronWIlson

5 hours ago, AaronWIlson said:

I got to play a 1000 point game against a friend the other day, he's very new to the game and he wanted to be shown the changes in the new edition (CP's, Piling in, etc).

He was using Stormcast with the named Celestant on drake, Castellant, Lantern hero, 6 Prosecutors with 2 hammers and 2 x 10 liberators. I used Ogroid, Magister, 30 Acolytes, 10 Pink horrors and 3 Skyfires.

It was a really fun game, he really enjoyed it and I got thoroughly smashed, the Skyfires were massively disappointing without a Tzaangor Shaman near by, I won't be using them again without one. Ogroid was stellar, Magister was nice but I failed his 4+ for a spawn twice in a row. Horrors are squishy but resilient if they don't get wiped in one turn, using a DD for a 1 on the BS test.

I'm playing 1500 on the 3rd July with all the new lovely smelling rulebooks in hand :D I'm going to give the following a go

Gaunt Summoner of Tzeentch - 180
Ogroid - 180
Magister - 140

Tzaangors - 480
Pink Horrors - 200
Acolytes - 80

Tzaangor Enlightened on Disc - 160

Umbrall Spell Portal - 60
Soulbind Shackles - 20 

I'll let you know how that goes. 

Was I the only player taking tha magister before 2.0 ?? I’m always correcting players on this but the 4+ roll to make a spawn was FAQ-ed away long ago !! You sir just missed 2 spawns :D 

1 hour ago, S133arcanite said:

How about this:

Tzaangor Shaman

Magister X3

Curseling

Blue Scribes

Tzaangors X30

2X 10 kairic acolytes

Enlightened

Witchfyre coven

Cabal

Spellportal

Shackles

This is 11 spells a turn, rerolling fails, alowing for loads of Fate Points generation

Isn’t that too many heroes? Isn’t 6 the max for 2000 points?

17 minutes ago, Túrbóbelja said:

Was I the only player taking tha magister before 2.0 ?? I’m always correcting players on this but the 4+ roll to make a spawn was FAQ-ed away long ago !! You sir just missed 2 spawns :D 

And I was wondering if taking Magister is a good deal right now... . GW should definitely update FAQed warscrolls.

24 minutes ago, Túrbóbelja said:

Oh dear! What does the FAQ about his spell, is there no roll attached? 

41 minutes ago, Túrbóbelja said:

I just checked, and that FAQ update is in the Battlescribe AoS listbuilder dataset as well. They do a pretty reasonable job at making sure that it has the most recent FAQ’s.

Looks like I may need to buy some more Chaos Spawns...

@AaronWIlson the rule updates to this: (changed section in italics)

Bolt of Change   If successfully cast, pick a visible enemy unit within 18" of the caster. That unit suffers D3 mortal wounds. If any models were slain by this spell, before removing the first slain model you can add a Chaos Spawn to your army and set it up within 3” of the slain model's unit. *FAQ v1.4*
Edited by TheOtherJosh
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, TheOtherJosh said:

I just checked, and that FAQ update is in the Battlescribe AoS listbuilder dataset as well. They do a pretty reasonable job at making sure that it has the most recent FAQ’s.

Looks like I may need to buy some more Chaos Spawns...

@AaronWIlson the rule updates to this: (changed section in italics)

Bolt of Change   If successfully cast, pick a visible enemy unit within 18" of the caster. That unit suffers D3 mortal wounds. If any models were slain by this spell, before removing the first slain model you can add a Chaos Spawn to your army and set it up within 3” of the slain model's unit. *FAQ v1.4*

Oh that's pretty neat, a free spawn every time you kill a model is nothing to sniff at and only at 140 points for the Magister, seems like a staple!

• Like 1

I think another list I want to try is 

Gaunt Summoner - 180
Ogroid - 180
Tzaangor Shaman - 180
Magister - 140

Tzaangors (30) - 480
Pink Horrors (10) - 200
Kairic Acolytes (10) - 80

Tzaangor Skyfires (6) - 440 

Umbral Spell Portal - 60
Balewind Vortex - 40
Soulbind Shackles - 20

It's lower on fate points, with a potential 6 per turn but does give you a very good core of damage output, as well as potential for free Horrors, Spawn & Tzaangors. 

8 minutes ago, TheOtherJosh said:

@AaronWIlson And potential for a free unit of 10 Horrors/ Daemonettes/ Bloodletters/ Plaguebearers If you have a Realmgate on the board from the Gaunt Summoner.

Yeah, I feel the above list is probably more reliable then trying to make the most of fate points and actually has some wounds on the table to try negate massive alphas. 

What do you think about running a Skyshoal. I think it might be useful for keeping your skyfires out of range and for some more movement shenenigans during your hero phase. Any ideas and/or feedback?

2x 6 skyfires (880)

6 tz. enlightened (320)

1 Shaman (180)

1 Gaunt summoner (180)

3x 10 kairic acolytes (240)

Battalion: Skyshoal coven (130)

1930/2000

70pts left for command points/endless spells/ etc.