AoS 2 - Grand Host of Nagash Discussion

RuneBrush

ALL SHALL BOW TO THE WILL OF NAGASH

Welcome to the new Grand Host of Nagash discussion thread!  Following on from the release of the second edition Age of Sigmar rules, this thread is the main thread to talk about all things related to the Grand Host of Nagash allegiance of Grand Alliance Death.

We do encourage people to create your own threads talking about your armies, home written fan fiction, conversions and paint jobs (not everybody frequents the painting forum), but this thread will be the central place to talk tactics, list building and general conversation and similar.  You all know the drill!

For easy reference, here's a link to the old Let's Chat thread, it still contains lots of gems of information!  http://www.tga.community/forums/topic/15909-lets-chat-legions-of-nagash/

I'll start the thread out with a question: What do you guys think about Lords of Sacriment (and to an extent, trying endless/realm spell spam) in Grand Host lists?

I've found myself unwilling to take the Mortis Engine + Battalion tax as I've found the extra spell casts underwhelming. I've instead invested in a second block of skeletons (possibly Chainrasps) and more endless spells. I'm also not convinced the list needs a spell portal, either. I've futzed around with the 15" soul harvest (off a balewind), but I'm honestly thinking 9" on Arkhan is more than enough to grab several units at once.

I'm absolutely loving the Palisade and Gravetide, though. The area denial capabilities are a perfect tool to keep people off of OBJs/Gravesites. Shackles, I'm not fully convinced yet.

Here's the list I'm currently taking. Any idea for changes? I want to get some Chainrasps and a Gaurdian of Souls, but I can't figure out what to cut/shift.

Allegiance:Grand Host
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Terrorgheist (400)
- Allies
Arkhan The Black Mortarch of Sacrament (320)
- Lore of the Dead: Soul Harvest (Deathmages)
Necromancer (110)
- General
- Trait: Lord of Nagashizzar
- Lore of the Deathmages: Overwhelming Dread

Necromancer (110)
- Lore of the Deathmages: Decrepify
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280)
- Ancient Spears
- Ancient Spears
10 x Dire Wolves (120)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
2 x Morghast Harbingers (220)
- Spirit Halberds

Total: 1900 / 2000
Allies: 400 / 400
Wounds: 157
-Balewind, Gravetide, Palisade

The Ghoul king is surprisingly great just to drop a free Flayer squad on a vulnerable flank, so I want to keep them. The only thing I can really think about is dropping the balewind/ gravetide and some wolves and trading that for a Guardian of Souls and maybe Swords/Shackles.

• Like 2

• Chris Tomlin changed the title to AoS 2 - Grand Host of Nagash Discussion

Hello all,
I am just starting to look at the Death Faction...curse you GW and your pretty pretty Nighthaunts.
How feasible is purely ghosts (Nighthaunts) and skeletons (Deathrattle) army? what would they fit under?
I am seriously wanting wanting the Nighthaunts from the upcoming box, want the banshees and other wraiths. I like both Krell and Keldrek, and love the upcoming characters for the 'haunts. I already have the Sepulchral Guard and would love to use them also.

I dont want to do ghouls, zombies, vampires or necromancers if I can get away with it.

I know the big things is to wait for the Nighthaunt Battletome...but that only covers half of what I would like to do.

Suggestions?

19 minutes ago, TredHed said:

How feasible is purely ghosts (Nighthaunts) and skeletons (Deathrattle) army? what would they fit under?

Perfectly feasible.  If the leaked Pitch Battle tables are corret, if you want to do that you'd need to run one of the Legion armies (so Grand Host, Legion of Blood/Night/Sacrament).  Some Nighthaunt units can simply be run in those allegiances (all of the ones in the new starter set), but they also have Nighthaunt as valid allies.

From the looks of things you can't run Skeletons as allies of Nighthaunt however.

So as someone who never played a game of AoS but has somehow obtained a Death army (the models are just so pretty) I was toying with the following as a 2k list and wondered if anyone could with their experience tell me if I'm going in the right direction (this is assuming points costs out of the GHB2018)

Allegiance: Grand host of Nagash

Arkhan the black

overhwleming dread

Wight King with Tomb blade and shield - General

Trait: Lord of nagashizzar

Necromancer

Ossific Diadem

Decrepify

Mounted Knight of shrouds

Guardian of souls

Amarinthine orb

Skeleton warrios x 40

Spears

Skeleton Warriors x 40

spears

Grave Guard x 20

Wight blades and crypt shields

Chainrasp horde x 20

Endless spells:

Chronomatic Cogs

Aethervoid Pendulum

Caps out at 1970 points

Hi all,

I am also thinking of building a Death army with the big one on top, I am completeley new to Death, so I have zero experience. What do you think about the following army:

Allegiance: Grand Host of Nagash
Nagash Supreme Lord Of The Undead (800)
- General
Necromancer (110)
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280)
- Ancient Spears
10 x Skeleton Warriors (80)
- Ancient Blades
- Ancient Blades
4 x Morghast Archai (440)
- Spirit Halberds
The First Cohort (160)

Total: 1950 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 105

Is it worth the 4 Morghat or should I switch them to get more Black Knights or Skeletons?

Thanks.

Edited by Hot Peanut
  • Haha 1

Arentius, i am pretty new to, but i have picked upp a few tips. Your grave guard should be using great wight blades and be put in groups off 30, because you just heal them upp and they are way more killy. In a 20 man group it is easier to oneshot them, but if they are in a 30 man group you will have a bigger chance off healing them. My 30 Grave Guard have killed 6 skullcrushers,  10 blood warriors and some reavers in one battleround with "Vanhels dance Macabre". 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Hot Peanut said:

Hi all,

I am also thinking of building a Death army with the big one on top, I am completeley new to Death, so I have zero experience. What do you think about the following army:

Nagash Supreme Lord Of The Undead (800)
- General
Necromancer (110)
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280)
- Ancient Spears
- Ancient Blades
- Ancient Blades
4 x Morghast Archai (440)
- Spirit Halberds
The First Cohort (160)

Total: 1950 / 2000
Wounds: 105

Is it worth the 4 Morghat or should I switch them to get more Black Knights or Skeletons?

Thanks.

It really depends on what you are facing, I'd say if you have trouble grabbing objectives maybe try 2 Morghast and sub one unit of skellies for a unit of Black Knights. If you want to include Endless Spells you could go for 10 Black Knights + Umbral Spellportal instead of the 2 Morghast + 10 Skellies and you'd still be at 1950. 

And @Arentius I'd try to stay at 1950 if possible to get the extra command point so you can resurrect one of your big skelly units if possible. As said, grave guard are better in all in offense and in units of 30 to take advantage of the horde discount + make it harder to kill them off. Wight king is still not worth it imo and I'd still pick a necro over him every time. As for the rest, experiment with different units and see what you like best! Once you know you can focus on a certain path. 

Edited by smucreo
  • Like 1

My main AoS 1.0 list rejigged for 2.0.

Nagash Supreme Lord Of The Undead (800)

- Lores of the Dead Spell 1 : Amaranthine Orb (Vampires)

- Lores of the Dead Spell 2 : Vile Transference (Vampires)

- Lores of the Dead Spell 3 : Overwhelming Dread (Deathmages)

Necromancer (110)

- Artefact : Grave-sand Timeglass

- Lore of the Deathmages : Soul Harvest

Wight King with Baleful Tomb Blade (120)

- Steed

- Artefact : Terrorghiest Mantle

-Ancient Spears

10 x Skeleton Warriors (80)

-Ancient Blades

-Ancient Blades

10 x Grave Guard (160)

-Great Wight Blades

5 x Black Knights (120)

Deathmarch (160)

Umbral Spell Portal (60)

Total: 1970

Looking forward to kicking out Nagash's unlimited supply of magic through that portal!

I'm looking forward to trying out a Nagash/Arkhan/First Cohort tag team

• Nagash Supreme Lord Of The Undead (800) - General, Vile Transference, Overwhelming Dread, Decrepify
  • Arkhan The Black Mortarch of Sacrament (320)- Soul Harvest
  • 40 x Skeleton Warriors (280)- Ancient Spears
  • 10 x Skeleton Warriors (80)- Ancient Blades
  • 2 x Morghast Archai (220)- Spirit Halberds
  • Umbral Spellportal (60)
  • The First Cohort (160)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Wounds: 99

Without any necromancers or other generic heroes, the list lacks vanhels and artefacts, and you only get one extra command point, and honestly I'd prefer to throw a few more endless spells in there.  First Cohort + Arkhan probably isn't the most competitive combo at this points value.  But still, it looks like fun to me.

38 minutes ago, Sception said:

I'm looking forward to trying out a Nagash/Arkhan/First Cohort tag team

• Nagash Supreme Lord Of The Undead (800) - General, Vile Transference, Overwhelming Dread, Decrepify
  • Arkhan The Black Mortarch of Sacrament (320)- Soul Harvest
  • 40 x Skeleton Warriors (280)- Ancient Spears
  • 2 x Morghast Archai (220)- Spirit Halberds
  • Umbral Spellportal (60)
  • The First Cohort (160)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Wounds: 99

Without any necromancers or other generic heroes, the list lacks vanhels and artefacts, and you only get one extra command point, and honestly I'd prefer to throw a few more endless spells in there.  First Cohort + Arkhan probably isn't the most competitive combo at this points value.  But still, it looks like fun to me.

The idea of Arkhan and Nagash huddled around that portal, chucking out stuff like CoY and HoD, would be hilarious mate! People will hate fighting that! Ha!

On 6/21/2018 at 7:52 PM, Hot Peanut said:

What do you think about the following army:

You‘ll not be making friends with that...  XD

only problem might be mobility and scoring objectives

but Nagash with his super smash bros is just awesome fun to play with (not against)

Please use your 1,4K wrecking ball with all the aggressive spite you can muster, they need to earn those points back

The current list I'm thinking about is far from refined, but I plan on trying a bunch of units that really benefit from re-rolls + a Ghoul King on a Terrorgheist as ally to summon stuff to see how it works.

My current iteration goes something like: 

Mannfred (420)

Necro (110)

2 Morghast (220)

40 Skellies (280) 

10 Skellies (80)

10 Skellies (80)

6 Spirit Hosts (240)

3 Spirit Hosts (120)

----

Ghoul King on Terrorgheist (400)

(1950 points)

So basically most of the list synergizes with itself, Mannfred is a great force amplificator, the Necro can van hels both the skellies and the hosts, and the GKoT can summon Horrors which themselves get re-rolls from the Flesh-eater courts hero. I stopped at 1950 to have the extra command point to summon the Horrors and use Mannfred's ability on the same turn. What do you guys think of this idea? The Terror also benefits if it has Mannfred close by since it may get lucky and score some 6s on those to hit with the re-rolls on the fails.

Another thing, I decided to separate what originally was a unit of 9 Spirit Hosts in order to have more flexibility with my screens, but I could easily change it back if I see myself Van Helsing them most of the time. 

21 hours ago, Honk said:

You‘ll not be making friends with that...  XD

only problem might be mobility and scoring objectives

but Nagash with his super smash bros is just awesome fun to play with (not against)

Please use your 1,4K wrecking ball with all the aggressive spite you can muster, they need to earn those points back

I will try to ?

I already started putting the models together.

I have another question, and this is the gravesides battletrait, I am not sure how to use it properly, I mean I know how it works, but some tactical hints would be nice.

Also some general tips for grand host would be helping, I play against Seraphon, Idoneth Deepkin, Khorne, IJ and Skaven in my playing group.

Vs. Seraphon: bring the spell portals and kill the astroth banner... and the slann

beware of the carnosaur

Basic kill list: try to figure out the main buff givers/ pinpoint character for your opponent and remove them turn 1, the remainder is smiling and trying to be nice...

On 6/22/2018 at 9:56 AM, smucreo said:

Wight king is still not worth it imo and I'd still pick a necro over him every time. 

The reason a wight king is worth it IMO is rules state nothing about re using a command ability more than once (in fact several of the preview videos on YouTube showcase using the same command ability per turn) 

with that being the my basis for this until faq’d a wight king can lord of bones a unit more than once or on multiple units.

i mean even 2 command points puts a 40 man skeleton unit to 5 attacks, then one for nagashizzar...followed by a van hels.

i fully expect this to be faq’d but currently it seems to be fair play 

55 minutes ago, Arentius said:

The reason a wight king is worth it IMO is rules state nothing about re using a command ability more than once (in fact several of the preview videos on YouTube showcase using the same command ability per turn) 

with that being the my basis for this until faq’d a wight king can lord of bones a unit more than once or on multiple units.

i mean even 2 command points puts a 40 man skeleton unit to 5 attacks, then one for nagashizzar...followed by a van hels.

i fully expect this to be faq’d but currently it seems to be fair play 

But doesn't a VL flying horror do more for the 20 points? 

• Thanks 1

Yep, it does exactly the same they were talking about only more since he is a wizard, he can fly and move twice as fast, he can heal and he hits harder. Oh and his ability is not restricted to only work on deathrattle, so it's even better.

EDIT: and he is better too at healing summonable units.

Edited by smucreo

10 hours ago, smucreo said:

Yep, it does exactly the same they were talking about only more since he is a wizard, he can fly and move twice as fast, he can heal and he hits harder. Oh and his ability is not restricted to only work on deathrattle, so it's even better.

EDIT: and he is better too at healing summonable units.

I'm really torn by this too.  I'm currently noodling a list with WK even though the VL is superior.  20 points + barrow armor + the extra ward save from diadem is shading things toward the WK right now.  But I could just as easily drop the unit of 10 skellies to 5 dogs and upgrade from WK to VL.  Thoughts?

LEADERS
Arkhan The Black Mortarch of Sacrament (320)
- Lore of the Dead : Fading Vigour (Deathmages)
Necromancer (110)
- Lore of the Deathmages : Overwhelming Dread
Wight King with Black Axe (120)
- General
- Command Trait : Lord of Nagashizzar
- Artefact : Ossific Diadem
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Terrorgheist (400)
- Allies
UNITS
30 x Grave Guard (420)
-Great Wight Blades
-Ancient Spears
-Ancient Blades
5 x Hexwraiths (160)
TOTAL: 1890/2000 WOUNDS: 125
LEADERS: 4/6 BATTLELINES: 3 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 2/4 ARTILLERY: 0/4
ALLIES: 400 / 400

Your list is very deathrattle synergy heavy but even there I would still go for VL just because as you said it's still better and you are not losing much by changing 10 skellies to 5 dogs. You already have fast units as your heroes, so adding redundancy to that could prove useful. There's the issue of leaving the units that he is supposed to buff behind, but you could just summon them from gravesites and you'd be getting a 30 Grave Guard unit up the board doing so. Other heroes can summon too, but since he is the main buffer of their attacks you'd want him to summon so that the skelly unit you raise is close to him and not Arkhan or the Necro for example. 

With all of this you'd only have a single unit without potential to move fast across the board in your list with the addition of the vamp lord; your necro. To remedy that you could always stay behind with one of your battleline summonable units while the rest do their thing. Lots of options there really.

Anyways, that's what your list inspired me to ramble, I hope it isn't too chaotic of a read :D Btw, I made a list with your Abhorrant Ghoul King on TGheist idea, how do you like it? 

It would be the Necro with the Lord of Nagashizzar trait and either the Diadem or the Gravesand timeglass to try to snipe the little heroes. Probably the Diadem though. For spells I guess I'd go for Amethystine Pinions on Mannfred and Overwhelming Dread on the necro, but honestly I'd rather try to Van Hels as much as possible with the necro haha