AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

7 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

But..my inquiry wasn't about how to defeat Tzeentch :/ It was how to effectively use Chaos Knights and Chaos Warriors or any of the other Mortal Units with Khorne Bloodbound, including the Chariots or any of the leaders. They just have some cool models and I was curious about their place or viability within a Khorne army. As I understand it, Khorne is probably in the same place as Ironjawz: Middle Tier. Not the worst, but definitely not the best. Just somewhere in the middle, aka "fine". 

In other words: for an army that's already not amazing, do normal Chaos units offer enough to bring or in any way enhance our list to boost them and make them stronger, or is it more dead weight to an already weakish faction? 

In that list the knights brought mw protection, something khorne suffers from so they definitely have a place.

Generaly slaves units synergies well with Khorne and can open up some unexpected possibilities. Those with the mark will benefit from all buffs from khorne heros eg the blood secrator, stoker etc

I currently have 2 gore chariots which I have marked khorne. I have buffed them up (MLoK charge buff, bronze flesh/kill frenzy and whipped) and used Sayl to teleport them across the battlefield to cause havoc. It's expensive though but fun when you do it. You have to set up 9 inch from enemy but you won't fail the charge, will cause MW when you hit, get extra attacks from the gorebeast s and be either super survival distraction or deal more attacks depending on the prayer used. Not done it competitively though.

I run a warshrine quite a lot, it brings a prayer that khorne does not have plus a valuable 4th blessing and a totem word that reavers love. The ward is a bit meh. In the games I have used it it's mainly sat behind reavers so they gain 1 more attack as outside the totem range of the secrator, dropping bronze flesh on something and giving a ward save to stuff near the front line. It's certainly not a bad use of points.

Chaos warriors are One I have limited experience with, they feel similar to blood warriors. They are super tanky, bring mw protection and halberds, but lack the glaive and MW potential (from fists) of the warriors. I think you could swap the two if desired, both bring benefits. 

Knights I like, used as faster MW sponges with the ability to really mess up someone's day, and as shown handy v magic armies. remember khorne is generally a footslogging army so fast units can get isolated which may or may not mess you up depending on what you want them to do.

Slave heros don't look useful to me, their buffs affect slaves units as opposed to other chaos Ines and khorne has a range of superb heros. Lord on daemon mount is probably one to consider as he has the daemon and morta key words. 

Spawn I use as khorgoraths and the daemon prince is likely to enter retirement.

In summary - they fit in well and can fill a number of needs that khorne lacks eg MW protection or speed. So it comes down to your preference both in terms of models and what you feel your list needs.

Edited by Praecautus
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi guys,

I am picking up an AoS army for the holidays and I like the khorne models a lot and there's a new box coming out.

I was reading through this thread and was wondering if BoK really got hit that much in Aos2. I noticed that you mentioned a lack of summoning and magic. How is your BoK army doing in your local area: struggling to keep up or still pretty average?

Second question: I like the Lord on Juggernaut model quite a lot and would like to ask if he's still viable in play.

Greetings!

Lord on Juggernaut gives a great buff to mortal Khorne but be aware that you need command points doing so. And command points are tight in Khorne with all these good buffing command abilities. 

I'm just painting / building my force so I can't say much about how they work. 

@Marucho So far my Khorne army has performed well locally however both of my opponents needed more practice with their armies. Obviously we lack magic as we have no wizards (outside of Archaon if you count him) and have no way of controlling or dispelling endless spells once they are cast. We don't lack summoning, its just that it is done at the expense of our allegiance abilities, takes several turns to earn enough blood tithe to summon anything meaningful, and the restriction on where and when you summon (i.e. at the end of movement so no hero phase buffs, wholly within 12" of a hero and more than 9" from the enemy) makes it difficult for our summoning to be effective. However if you can successfully shut down your opponent's magic phase, which Khorne is more than capable of doing most of the time, you should win most fights.

• Like 1

Had a thought this morning while in traffic.  What if GW allowed armies with the Khorne allegiance the ability to perform multiple unbind attempts on a spell.   This would stay within in the lore of Khorne hating magic.   Additionally is not over powered.  

1 hour ago, chord said:

Had a thought this morning while in traffic.  What if GW allowed armies with the Khorne allegiance the ability to perform multiple unbind attempts on a spell.   This would stay within in the lore of Khorne hating magic.   Additionally is not over powered.  

I hate to say it but I feel this would be over powered. For instance, my army normally has gore pilgrims extending the range of the portal of skulls to 36" making my opponent re-roll all successful casting. For unbinding I have 3 slaughterpriests, flesh hounds, bronze rune (auto-dispel), collar of khorne (gives hero unbinding), not to mention the blood tithe auto dispelling.  An opponent is very unlikely to get ANY magic cast if you can have multiple unbind attempts especially after they have re-rolled for the portal. 

I know Khorne isnt uber competitive but I have been doing alright and thats mostly down to shutting down magic (and gore pilgrims of course :))

Edited by Thomas E
  • Like 2

So I have decided on my Khorne army theme and have plan...

A realm of shadows themed Khorne army - dark, muted armor.

The centrepiece will be a Verminlord Deciever. The army will otherwise feature only mortals with the conceit being that all of the bloodbound worship him in the mistaken belief that he is a greater daemon of Khorne.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tamthethird said:

The centrepiece will be a Verminlord Deciever.

From a game mechanics perspective, you'd have to be using Grand Alliance: Chaos. (Which means loosing out on the Khorne prayers and Bloodtithe.)

The only one of the Verminlords that are able to be slotted in as allies is the Verminlord Corruptor, due to the Nurgle keyword.

16 hours ago, TheOtherJosh said:

From a game mechanics perspective, you'd have to be using Grand Alliance: Chaos. (Which means loosing out on the Khorne prayers and Bloodtithe.)

The only one of the Verminlords that are able to be slotted in as allies is the Verminlord Corruptor, due to the Nurgle keyword.

*shakes fist at sky*

• Haha 2

Hey Bloodwarriors,

I am currently writing my list for Throne of Skulls tomorrow. 

I was just reading through our battalions to see if I could get a command point but the only three I have the models for are Gore Pilgrims, Dark Feast & Blood Hunt.

I know Gore Pilgrims is the only good one, but I don’t want to be too gamey this is supposed to be a more casual event. I think I will just stay 50 points under for the Command Point. Would that also get me a triumph?

ps. It’s so hard to build and army with the models I like without running out of hero slots ?

7 minutes ago, Charles said:

Hey Bloodwarriors,

I am currently writing my list for Throne of Skulls tomorrow. 

I was just reading through our battalions to see if I could get a command point but the only three I have the models for are Gore Pilgrims, Dark Feast & Blood Hunt.

I know Gore Pilgrims is the only good one, but I don’t want to be too gamey this is supposed to be a more casual event. I think I will just stay 50 points under for the Command Point. Would that also get me a triumph?

ps. It’s so hard to build and army with the models I like without running out of hero slots ?

Khorne has a lot of good heroes.

how do people get a lord of khorn on juggernought, the option to buy 6 riders seems rather pricy, plus it leaves 2 models you can't use. Or does everyone use the OOP model, because those look great, but are hard to get as no one is selling them.

5 minutes ago, Karol said:

how do people get a lord of khorn on juggernought, the option to buy 6 riders seems rather pricy, plus it leaves 2 models you can't use. Or does everyone use the OOP model, because those look great, but are hard to get as no one is selling them.

From the gw site- hes a webstore only purchase.

Or you could order it through your local store

33 minutes ago, Karol said:

I bought the Resin model from Games-Workshop. Last I checked it’s web order only but it’s still available unless I got the last one or something...

10 minutes ago, Karol said:

I think, I will just wait till GW makes a plastic version.

I think they'll make plastic Squats before making a plastic JuggerLord.

The only hope would be to wait for when they make Codex World Eaters and make a world eater lord on juggernaut, which also seems highly unlikely. I mean heck they never made a plastic Harbinger of Decay for nurgle, a hero that actually has quite a lot of use (granted you can easily make a count as using chaos knights).

23 minutes ago, Karol said:

Ah, ok thanks guys, I don't like resin models, they seem to be very bad quality, at least comparing to the plastic ones. I think, I will just wait till GW makes a plastic version.

Take a mighty Skullcrushers, Use one of the Axe weapons from the Skullreapers kit, and one of those heads... perhaps add a fur cloak.

And you’ve got a plastic Lord Of Khorne on Juggernaut.

His only difference is which hand holds the Axe and Shield.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Karol said:

Ah, ok thanks guys, I don't like resin models, they seem to be very bad quality, at least comparing to the plastic ones. I think, I will just wait till GW makes a plastic version.

My experience being hes actually not that bad to put together for a resin model. Pieces fit pretty well, no need for greenstuff. Hardest part was getting the lord to sit on the jugger at the right angle.

Dont think the model photos particularly well, there is maybe one good angle. not fond of the way the resin models have their fur or skulls done. its subtle but different. 

Like the idea of converting one. You might be able to pick up a single skull crusher sprue from ebay. Might cost you a tenner with postage though, where as you could possible get 3 for £15-18

Skull crushers come with the riders lower torso attached. Bloodcrushers dont. But Bloodcrushers sell marginally cheaper on ebay, so keep in mind youd need to source some legs for him if you find one for a bargain price.

Also skull crusher kit comes with the knight crest thing.

683742036_crestthing.jpg.fb7c686f08e299e62db54cecc2b86139.jpg

Would probably use a spare wrathmonger/skullreaper torso then you have a bit of choice on weapon and arm poses. there is one in particular with the right arm tight around the front of the that could hold a shield. 

srtorso.jpg.f64e0a8739d5d0c87c6c8c9978f357c6.jpg

Wrathmonger/bloodwarrior champion/skull crusher heads all have the bunny ears helmet if youre looking to match the style of the original model. 

Sure there is a spare left hand + axe in your bits box somewhere. Skullreaper parts probably the first port of call for this too.

• Like 1

I keep forgetting, does the Fleshhound with the Mighty Lord benefit from traits and artifacts or no?

I mean RAW hes not a mount, which are clearly defined to not benefit from traits and artifacts. So it technically more like the Mighty Lord is "dual wielding" weapons like other khorne leaders that dual wield.

But it seems RAI the fleshhound is technically a separate entity that runs along his master.