New to AoS. Fleshing out my stormcast

sigmar is scottish

Hey guys I should be getting the new box at some point and hope to trade my nighthaunt half off for someone's stormcast half.
This will probably be what my army consist of entirely, well maybe with an added herald and lord ordiantor.

This isn't my issue as I'm pretty happy with this. Not massive on playing and I'm not competitive so these will do me just fine.
That's not really what I need your help with today.

This seems like an awesome community that is enthusiastic and helpful so I couldn't think of a better set of people to help me flesh out the fluff behind my stormcast eternals.

What I have so far:

The order of His Masters Watch were tasked with the defence and upkeep of Azyrheim. Buttressing its defences, watchful of cults and ensuring the populace of this massive city felt safe within their homes. Although this task was seen as unworthy by other orders the stormcasts of His Masters watch seen it as a worthy duty and a holy task set before them by Sigmar himself.
Within the tasks laid out before them by sigmar the upkeep of the of Anvil of Apotheosis was one of the most important. Guiding souls back to Azyr for re-forging and soothing the warriors after the brutal process.

However as the centuries (or millennia I don't have a great grasp on the time scale within AoS) started to tick by changes within the warriors being re-forged started to tell. Subtle and small at first.
Joyful warriors mirth seemed to diminish, friends and comrades would go unremembered and some quicker to anger.
But as more and more time went by the worse the symptoms would become. Some warriors becoming little more than automaton, others broken wrecks of grief sorrow and the worst mindless savaged unable to recognise friend from foe. little better than the berserker blood warriors of the realm of chaos.
These poor souls would finally be given their final rest by the Lords-Arcanum.

This sorrowful task would take its own toll on the warriors of His Masters Watch. Once joyful warriors, bright champions of light and virtue would become worn down and bleak.
Dying their pristine robes of pure celestial white to mourners black, their pristine armour would become dull smeared with the ashes of the warriors laid to rest by their hand.

Sigmar not blind to the tragedy befalling his scions would set the watchers to the mortal realms. To hunt down what was behind their ailment.

Scouring each realm in turn the watchers left no stone unturned and anything that got in their way was ground beneath their armoured heel.
However it soon became clear that every strand of enquiry pulled taught in the direction of Shyish and its deathly overlord Nagash.

Their crusade into the realm of death would take centuries, every victory a push a little further into the dreaded landscape but a push cost in lives.
Each one like a hammer blow for every watcher knew they and their brothers were returning a little less each time.  But this was their duty and they took at it was a zeal that bordered on the fanatical. For this was a task set to them by sigmar and if it took their souls to wither for their brothers to remain whole then so be it.

Eventually after years of carnage and battling again Nagashe's undead  hordes they stood before the death lords fast.
The battle would be devastating and quick for who but a god could stand before the Lord of death. The watchers had been laid low, their army devastated. They would return to Azyrheim in failure. Doomed as they and their kin withered throughout the centuries.

However before the final blow could be stuck Nagash would speak to the defeated watchers. Explaining of Sigmars betrayal and that the souls gone into forging his warriors had been promised to him, that he was only trying to claim back that which was rightfully his.

Nagash made an offer. Gather to him realm stone and Sigmar could keep his souls.
The warriors of the watch knew Nagash could not be trusted and betrayal was second nature to the death lord. Not only that but realm stone was powerful and in the wrong hands a dangerous weapon.
But what other choice did they have? To return to sigmar in failure and watch as their and their brothers souls withered away?

Accepting Nagashs offer they were held to the tyrants deal. Deliver realm stone to him until their quota was deemed filled.

For one hundred years the warriors of the watch laboured for Nagash. Laying waste to cities for the sake of realm stone. Destroying peoples for the sake of the fell material.  
At last the warriors of the watch returned to Nagah with the last piece of stone fulfilling their quota and their pack to the terrible lord of death but nagash ever true to his Nature destroyed the warriors of the watch. Laughing as he sent their souls screaming back to azyr. Screaming that every soul belonged to him and no other and that sigmar would have his reckoning.
The last thing the stromcasts would see is nagash placing the last piece of stone  to complete his puzzle unleashing his malign sorcery, laughing and screaming as the mortal realms shook in fear.

Apon their souls returning to azyrheim each warrior would find themselves in limbo. Not to undergo the reforging process but face Sigmars wrath.
Each soul shackled and chained. Put before sigmars throne,a glorious warrior of each order and chamber set in the galleries to judge and sigmar himself staring down in condemnation.

The god king would not let the warrior souls speak instead casting judgment and fury at them, railing at them for their foolishness and damning them for the consequences of their actions.
Death was expected and many cried for such judgment but when his fury subsided sigmar proclaimed death was not for them. The peace of the grave not ready for their souls.
They would be reforged and cast into the mortal realms. Never to return or set for in Azyrheim again. Instead to right the wrongs they had committed. Put the forces of magic unleashed by nagash back into order. To make the realms safe again and to bring to judgment Nagash once and for all.   

So this is what I have. I know its poorly written and very clunky but I've done the majority of it at work during my breaks lol.
I hope its at least legible.
I wan these guys to look work and battered. Frayed cloth and dull battle worn armour. All subdued colours but with a spot colour of vibrant green for the gems they carry and eye sockets and stuff. A connection to nagash and realm stone maybe.
I want to try and get across that these guys don't get resupplied from the realm of heaven and that they have to make do with that they have and through trade and salvage. Replace crossbows with overlord guns. Silly stuff like that.

Anyway let me know what you think.

Interesting angle. The idea of a group of Stormcast making a desperate deal with Nagash is intense, but it doesn't seem to break any lore. Either way, having a ragtag group of Stormcast that have to smith and salvage their own arms and armor sounds cool, and that could really be a fun project.

To help really make this project unique, I would love to see a log of every battle and campaign you could, and slowly convert your stormcast using bits salvaged from their victories. Either way, curious where the models and stories go from here.

Archived