AoS 2 - Bonesplitterz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Morning all,

So for those of you who prefer sticks and stones over the power of iron, here is the new thread for discussing Bonesplitterz...or should that be Bonesnifferz @Sangfroid?! With the imminent release of AoS 2 (and a lot of the info already being out there), now is the time for us to start afresh on TGA.

Moving forward, this will be the main thread to chat about and discuss Bonesplitterz in the new edition. I still wholly encourage people to keep their own threads/army blogs within this sub forum and I also think those are a great place to share some photos as I know not everyone frequents the Painting & Modelling section (like me!). But this thread is purely for discussion around the faction, things such as (but not limited to) tactics and list building etc. You all know the drill, we've been doing it on this forum since inception!

For newer players, I would say the older thread could still be worth perusal and whilst it is now locked for further replies, you can find it here - http://www.tga.community/forums/topic/11109-gh2017-bonesplitterz-discussion/

Really excited to see what we can come up with as a community and I look forward to reading all your ideas and thoughts.

Chris

• Like 2

From the stuff I have seen floating around on the web I think this list comes in at 1990.

No endless spells, but I am not convinced yet that they are a must have in an army.

This is 2 CP and 3 Artifacts, 11" move boars that can charge in odd places

Allegiance: Destruction

Leaders
Wurrgog Prophet (140)
- General
- Trait: Squirmy Warpaint 
- Lore of the Savage Waaagh: Squiggly Curse
Maniak Weirdnob (120)
- Lore of the Savage Waaagh: Hand of Gork or Mork
Maniak Weirdnob (120)
- Lore of the Savage Waaagh: Brutal Beast Spirits
Wardokk (100)
- Artefact: Big Wurrgog Mask 
- Lore of the Savage Waaagh: Bone Krusha

Battleline

Units
10 x Savage Boarboy Maniaks (320)
4 x Savage Big Stabbas (200)
10 x Savage Orruk Arrowboys (120)
5 x Savage Boarboy Maniaks (160)

Battalions
Snaga Rukk (140)
Icebone Warclan (200)

Total: 2100 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 149

That's a really cool list I'd definitely use it but I have no bonesplitterz models. Would you suggest them to someone who is a fan of destruction and likes big models surrounded by hordes or elite infantry? I have boarboys, orruks and a chariot and warboss as well as a ton of old ogors, spiderfang and grots, so would bonesplitterz be a good ally choice for these?

20 minutes ago, fanatical-mushroom-addict said:

That's a really cool list I'd definitely use it but I have no bonesplitterz models. Would you suggest them to someone who is a fan of destruction and likes big models surrounded by hordes or elite infantry? I have boarboys, orruks and a chariot and warboss as well as a ton of old ogors, spiderfang and grots, so would bonesplitterz be a good ally choice for these?

Sorry to say that imho bonesplittas are not the best choice for allies. Yes they can but down horde style bodies with a boat load of wounds, but without thief allegiance saves and the spells and artifacts, they kinda fall short. Now if you make a bonesplitta force and ally in your other stuff that’s a different story all together. Allies can help shore some of the weakness of the splittas like lack of rend and durability.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kanamorf said:

From the stuff I have seen floating around on the web I think this list comes in at 1990.

No endless spells, but I am not convinced yet that they are a must have in an army.

This is 2 CP and 3 Artifacts, 11" move boars that can charge in odd places

Allegiance: Destruction

Leaders
Wurrgog Prophet (140)
- General
- Trait: Squirmy Warpaint 
- Lore of the Savage Waaagh: Squiggly Curse
Maniak Weirdnob (120)
- Lore of the Savage Waaagh: Hand of Gork or Mork
Maniak Weirdnob (120)
- Lore of the Savage Waaagh: Brutal Beast Spirits
Wardokk (100)
- Artefact: Big Wurrgog Mask 
- Lore of the Savage Waaagh: Bone Krusha

Battleline

Units
4 x Savage Big Stabbas (200)
10 x Savage Orruk Arrowboys (120)

Battalions
Snaga Rukk (140)
Icebone Warclan (200)

Total: 2100 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 149

Ive always liked the Icebone. Faster boars means tying up those pesky shooting units. Why just the 10 Arrowboys? That doesnt seem very effective

I listened to an episode of "stormcast" recently and they talked about countering the summoning mechanic with small fast units to area deny for things like grave sights and gnarlmaws...and that might trend an increase in such small fast units. They then went on to say that smaller archer units could counter this counter....but i think that this meta shift is long ways away. I agree that small units of BS archers are a sub-obtimal choice. If its a model thing, id pop off them hands and give em some chompas for Moarboys fun!

20 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

Ive always liked the Icebone. Faster boars means tying up those pesky shooting units. Why just the 10 Arrowboys? That doesnt seem very effective

I am a fan of 10 bodies to stand on objectives. I fine 10 archers to be better in all ways that 10 normal Boys or moarboyz

3 hours ago, Kanamorf said:

Snibbitysnab

At first, I was also meh about the arrowboyz, but you have a point about objective warmers. Aren't they 140 a pop now, though? Might as well ally in some 80 point Greenskin Orruks. I'd be worried about the list being pillowfisted, honestly.

On that topic, anyone else think that the generic Greenskin Orruks are worth a look in a Bonesplitterz army? They might only have 1 wound, but they have the rend our army lacks AND reroll failed saves. at 80p + a possible Massive Regiments discount, that seems like it can have impressive potential.

Has anyone figured out if Drakkfoot/Kopp Rukk could work? I was futzing around with a list that had 2x Boar Warbosses and a Wyvern with Generic Greenskin Orruks, but that started to look more like a Destruction Soup list.

1 minute ago, CharnelChimera said:

At first, I was also meh about the arrowboyz, but you have a point about objective warmers. Aren't they 140 a pop now, though? Might as well ally in some 80 point Greenskin Orruks. I'd be worried about the list being pillowfisted, honestly.

I have been playing a primarily boar based army since GHB 17 dropped and belive me they are not a pillowfest. 2nd at heat 1, 1st at 2 local tournaments, top destruction at SCGT (ignoring the fact that was way low down and more about my bad choices).

Maniac boars are incredible against all except the heaviest armour, and thats where Stabbas come in. Unfortunately this list has 2 less than I would like.

10 Savage Orruks of any type are 20 wounds to go stand on something so are surprisingly difficult to just get rid of unless something really focuses them. Greenskins just fall over :(

I have contemplated using the Orruk Warboss with flag in the new rule and feel he may have some legs. Lots to test going forward

18 minutes ago, Kanamorf said:

I have been playing a primarily boar based army since GHB 17 dropped and belive me they are not a pillowfest. 2nd at heat 1, 1st at 2 local tournaments, top destruction at SCGT (ignoring the fact that was way low down and more about my bad choices).

Maniac boars are incredible against all except the heaviest armour, and thats where Stabbas come in. Unfortunately this list has 2 less than I would like.

10 Savage Orruks of any type are 20 wounds to go stand on something so are surprisingly difficult to just get rid of unless something really focuses them. Greenskins just fall over :(

I have contemplated using the Orruk Warboss with flag in the new rule and feel he may have some legs. Lots to test going forward

That's an impressive resume! My experience with boars has been rather unimpressive, so I admit I am biased. I have a ton of boars, so I might try futzing with such a list as I love the theme and if it can perform, even better. I still wanna shove a Wyvern/boar boss in since it feels like a Wargogg'd Maniak squad with 2 (4, due to boars) extra attacks just sounds ridiculous, let alone Stabbas getting some residual attacks.

Do Greenskins really just fall over? 5+ rerolling fails seems like it should be rather tough to shift. Raw wounds do have a quality of their own, though.

Edited by CharnelChimera

49 minutes ago, CharnelChimera said:

That's an impressive resume! My experience with boars has been rather unimpressive, so I admit I am biased. I have a ton of boars, so I might try futzing with such a list as I love the theme and if it can perform, even better. I still wanna shove a Wyvern/boar boss in since it feels like a Wargogg'd Maniak squad with 2 (4, due to boars) extra attacks just sounds ridiculous, let alone Stabbas getting some residual attacks.

Do Greenskins really just fall over? 5+ rerolling fails seems like it should be rather tough to shift. Raw wounds do have a quality of their own, though.

I don't that there is a good reason to normal orruks. After all 30 savage orruks come at 300pts . have 60 wounds and also have the same defensive capabilities.

The banner Boss though....

Edited by SubQuantum

I’m trying out a Bonegrinz list tonight for my first 2.0 game 

Bonegrinz

Kunnin Rukk

Big Boss-gen-squirmy warpaint-savage trophy 

Prophet-glowin tattoos- brutal beast spirit

maniak weirdnob- mystic waaahh paint- hand of gork 

30x arrow boys 

30x arrow boys

10x savage boys-chompas

10x savage boys- chompas

4x big stabbas 

If i’ve got the points right this is 1970 so I can throw in Pallisade or Swords and start with 2cp 

Not overly original but I think it will still work ?

Kunnin Rukk

Big Boss

Prophet-mystic waaahh paint (if they faq it)

maniak weirdnob-brutal beast spirit

maniak weirdnob- hand of gork 

30x arrow boys 

30x arrow boys

5x savage boar boys

6x big stabbas 

3 artifacts and 3 CP is what I’m thinking so far 

Edited by svnvaldez
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, svnvaldez said:

Kunnin Rukk

Big Boss

Prophet-mystic waaahh paint (if they faq it)

maniak weirdnob-brutal beast spirit

maniak weirdnob- hand of gork 

30x arrow boys 

30x arrow boys

5x savage boar boys

6x big stabbas 

3 artifacts and 3 CP is what I’m thinking is far 

Looks awesome!

The funny thing is, looking at the cost of the big batallions:

Kunning Rukk + Bonegrinz = 310

Kopp Rukk + Drakfoot = 340

Snagga + Icebonez = 330

Even with the points adjustments, the shooty version is still the most competitively priced.

I'm still astonised that they didn't drop the melee batallion costs to make them more viable, although it does of course help that the Boars themselves have come down.

• Like 1

Assuming you have +1 to hit, 30 arrowz still does 22.5ish wounds a volley + 7.5 wounds per CP spent on the bosses CA. (Add in damned reroll 1s and a triumph if you have them)

Say your playing DoK and they misdeploy. You can Krukk move + Hand for 33inch threat on the a unit of arrowz

Edited by svnvaldez
  • Like 1

I'm looking at something like:

Savage Big Boss (4+ Mortal save)

Maniak Weirdnob (Brutal Beast Spirits, +1 Bravery or +1 Unbind depending on FAQ)

Maniak Weirdnob (Hand of Gork)

Wardokk (Damage spell, Mask)

30x Arrow Boys 

30x Arrow Boys

10x Boys

10x Boys

Kunnin Rukk

Bonegrinz

1850 points - room to be tweaked depending on how things shake out

What I'm quite excited about is that the Bonegrinz summoning doesn't seem to have been costed in.  Granted it's dicey (to say the least!) but across a 5-game tournament you can expect to get 3 of your 30 blocks back (if you run 2).

As you said @svnvaldez we would have 3 command points.  If there is no restriction on spamming them, doubling up on the SBB ability in those crucial early turns could easily make up for the nerf to Damned.  Or tripling up.  Or quadrupling up.

And if it's one Command Ability per hero, you have room in there to throw in another Savage Big Boss and double up that way (also gives some redundancy).

The other options are some Endless Spells (if they become standard in Matched Play), or reshuffling your 4x KR units (could have 20 Arrow Boys in there as your third block for example, or even 2x 10 for more chances at the free units).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PlasticCraic said:

Bonegrinz

I have seen 13 of the 18 missions: 10 are most models within 6 (no auto cap), 1 is only scored by a hero with an artifact or a wizard (3 objectives), 1 is only scored by a hero or monster, and 1 is scored by most models within 6 but a hero with an artifacts or a wizard count for 20 models.

1 drop is nothing to laught at: I think alpha bunkering will not be as good but controlling if you want to get on objectives early or play for the double is solid.

Edited by svnvaldez
  • Like 1

Yeah it sounds like 1 in 6 will still be hero based (Duality and modified 3PP both there, plus the "Hero counts as 20").  So at most events it's probably fair to say you will face one of those battleplans.

1 drop is our most reliable opportunity to win on those Battleplans with our 6+ save heroes.  On Duality I normally Hand one big unit, KR move the other.  And run a Weirdnob onto both.  With another Weirdnob following behind one objective claimer ready to step on, and the SBB following behind the other (gives them a dilemma in target priority).  You are shooting 3" deep with both units so if you can hit key targets turn 1 I will do so, otherwise I will just run both and try to completely swamp out the 6" range (needs a 5+ to run).  

Doesn't always work (KO still nuked all 4 heroes last weekend!) but it's generally our best chance I think.  Full KR has always been a pretty extreme build so you have to accept that you can meet your Waterloo, but playing the percentages there aren't that many bad matchups in what can be a tricky Battleplan at face value.

So yeah although 1 drop has been less fashionable recently, I think it's very powerful for Bonesplitterz as a counter to their weaknesses.

Edited by PlasticCraic
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, CharnelChimera said:

Has anyone figured out if Drakkfoot/Kopp Rukk could work? 

I am going to be trying out this list once I get my GHB18.

Wurrgog w/ squirmy warpaint, glowing tattoos, hand of gork
Wardokk w/ big wurrgog mask, brutal beast spirits
Wardokk w/ mystic Waaagh paint, squiggly curse
Wardokk w/ bone krusha
Maniac Wierdnob w/ gorkamorka war cry.  

30 moreboys
10 moreboys
5 boarboy maniacs
5 boarboy maniacs

Allies: Rogue Idol
Battalions: Kopp Rukk, Drakkfoot warclan

Total: 2,000

There are a ton of synergies here,  which I like a lot. The wardokks are going to start at +3 to cast, not including any weird dances, which should help get through increased unbinding threat. With doubles always succeeding, it's going to be hard to actually fail to cast a spell. I'll have pretty much all of our factions spell roster at my disposal, and every caster has some sort of mortal wound output. The red waaagh paint should protect against endless spells whether they do damage or not. 2 drops, 3 artifacts, and 3 command points first turn.

My main problem is a serious lack of bodies. Hopefully all the buffs and extra pile ins should let me compensate for that some what. I'll be testing it out. 

Edited by bonzai
  • Like 2

@bonzai I really like the look of your list: I'd swap for more Morboyz and I think its amazing 

Allegiance: Bonesplitterz

Leaders
Wurrgog Prophet (140)
- General
Wardokk (100)
Wardokk (100)
Wardokk (100)
Wardokk (100)

Battleline
30 x Savage Orruk Morboys (300)
30 x Savage Orruk Morboys (300)
10 x Savage Orruk Morboys (120)

Behemoths
Rogue Idol (400)

Battalions
Kop Rukk (200)
Drakkfoot Warclan (140)

Total: 2000 / 2000

• Like 1

Yeah it looks good!  Two things I'm wondering:

1) Do you need the Rogue Idol (since you will get most casts through anyway)?  I know there is synergy there, but it could be nice to have your combat unit with the Bonesplitterz keyword to benefit from the Prophet's CA and the Drakkfoot unique spell.  And you won't be debuffing your own bravery.  Worth a try I guess, and it would be nice to see the Big Fella on the table!

2) Is there a way to fit some Endless Spells in, because new shiny?  For example that last unit of Morr Boys in Sam's list could become 3x Boar Boys to free up 20 points (gets you the swords), you could drop the Prophet to another Wardokk (sacrifice 1 cast but maximise Drakfoot benefits and free up 40 points), and if you did go Big Stabbas you could put 6 in for 300 points and free up 100 that way.

It also depends what the new Rogue Idol warscroll looks like, and whether Endless Spells count towards your drops?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CharnelChimera said:

They’re aren’t too shabby as long as you have the Shields (double choppas looks cool but isn’t a competitive option compared to the Shields). When equipped with choppas and in numbers they are better offensively. Against stuff with dam 2 and above it does get alarming when you’re used to 2 wound Savage Orruks. If you’re going mixed Destruction they’re okish but don’t really provide enough to be worthwhile taking up allies space in a Bonesplitterz Alliegence,