Reworking my LON army based on the new rules

Jgregs

So after watching a bunch of videos and reading all the rules previews I've cobbled together a 2000 point list that I think takes advantage of all the changes.

Grand Host of Nagash:

Hero:

VLOZD - general - Lord of Nagashizzar - 440

Necromancer - 110

Wight King - Ossific Diadem - 120

Knight of Shrouds - 120

Battle line:

40x skeletons - spears - 280

20x grave guard - great weapons - 320

10x skeletons -  swords - 80

Other:

6 spirit hosts - 240

5 black knights - 120

TOTAL - 1830 + 3 command points 150 = 1980

My strategy is to just march the 3 big blocks of Skelies, grave guard and spirit hosts forward with the VLOZD behind them.

I will keep one of my grave sites in my back field as a spawning point. As soon as one of my big blocks is wiped out I'm just going to resurect it and send it back into the fight using a command point. If my VLOZD is destroyed I will make the Knight of Shrouds my new general so I can take advantage of his tasty +1 to hit for nearby spirit hosts "which apparently can only be done if he is the general". Black Knights will act as mobile reserve to hold off any deep strike trickery.

Do you think buying 3 command points is too much? I could drop it down to 2 and then squeeze in a pack of dire wolves.

21 minutes ago, KoalaSnok said:

Appointing a new model your general when the first general dies will not be used in matched play, sadly. It has been confirmed in the aos 2.0 preview thread i beleive. 

Booooo! oh well I might then just substitute in a Vampire lord instead.

Not sure Knight of Shrouds is worth it with only 6 Spirit hosts. I think if you want to go ham with the spirit host combo then make pts for a big unit of 9 and a Spirit of Torment. (assuming in the ~100pts range) Otherwise drop the Knight for a second necromancer.

(The combo being using the Shroud's command ability 4 times in a single turn making your Spirit Host do mortal wound on 2+ re-rolling 1s thanks to the Spirit of Torment so 9 SH will deal 50+ mortal wounds)

PS: Knight of Shrouds does not need to be general to use his command ability in the new edition if you use the mounted one. (though it only targets one unit instead of being an aura as the one on foot has) :) (his warscroll is now in the app if you want to confirm). 

5 minutes ago, Sception said:

Knight of shrouds can't use its command ability unless it is your general, which it cannot be unless you're playing with the malign portent rules.

Knight of Shrouds on Ethereal Steed can. Which isn't as strong, but still damn powerful. Also I'd be willing to bet the one on foot will get a new warscroll when the battletome comes out that removes the restriction.

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/Downloads//ENG_knight_of_shrouds_knighthaunt_2018.pdf

5 hours ago, themortalgod said:

Knight of Shrouds on Ethereal Steed can. Which isn't as strong, but still damn powerful. Also I'd be willing to bet the one on foot will get a new warscroll when the battletome comes out that removes the restriction.

But KoS on Steed doesn't have the same command ability. He adds 1 to ATTACKS, not to hit. ;)

Archived