Considering Age of Sigmar

Kiloran

Greetings friends. I was a long time (off and on) player of WFB collecting Wood Elves, Dwarfs and a Goblin focused army. I discounted AoS when it first came out but with its 2nd edition right around the corner I was planning on giving it a try. From looking over what I can (with a borrowed copy of the Core Rules and Generals Handbook) It appears all of my original armies are split into sub factions. My main question is can a goblin focused army be fun and/or moderately competitive? How would it be built?

Currently I own (roughly)
Shaman on foot x3
Boss on Giant Spider
Boss on foot x2

Goblins with Spear/shield 200~

Goblins with bows 100~

skulkers x6-9 (cant remember)

Wolf Chariots x6

Doom Diver x1

Spear Chucka x3

Rock Lobba x2

Wolf Riders with spears, shields and bows x20

Spider Riders with spears, shields, bows x10

Arachnarok with or without shaman

Giants x2

Looking over the factions it looks like I have  Git Mob Grots and Spiderfang Grots. Playing around in the Warscroll builder it appears they have access to no Battalions? While I appear to have tons of models based on cost I cant make heads or tails out of how to throw da boyz together. I would love to hear some thoughts (as of course I can go Order with my Elves, Trees and Dwarfs instead) as Goblins while they didn't win made for some humorous games in WFB.

-Waaagh

Welcome to AOS (or welcome back...!) There's a number of Goblin (now called Grots) players on this forum who will no doubt be able to assist you. In the interim you've got a nice selection of models which will give you options.

You are correct that there are no battalions for the Grots, which does make them a little weaker than other factions but they can be fun to play and can scrape into tier two / top tier two with practice.

I assume you'll want to play 2,000 point games and for that you'll need the General Handsbook (which has all the points)... don't buy the 2017 one though, the new one is released in 10 days!

I assume your Grots are Gitmob from your comments and you could use this as a good basis for an army

For example:

• Big Boss on Gigantic Spider
  • Arachnarok with Shaman
  • Grot Shaman
  • Grot Shaman
  • 60 Gitmob with Bows
  • 20 Gitmob with Spears
  • 20 Gitmob with Spears
  • 2 Wolf Chariots
  • 5 Spider Riders
  • 5 Spider Riders
  • Gargant (Giant)
  • 2 x Spear Chukkas
  • 2 x Rock Lobbers

1900 points on current points (I don't think any of the above are changing a lot). This give 2 'command points' in the new rules which can be used for command abilities and stopping battleshock (panic, grots running away).

The basic approach with this is the throw the spiders, chariot, arachnarok & gargant forward to kill stuff whilst the 20 grots hold objectives and the 60 grots do one or the other. Check out the spell for the Gitmob Shaman - it's very good with the Gitmob and bows.

Others will be able to give more examples of what's available!

Spiderfang are awesome and look absolutely baller on the table.

Unfortunately they have suffered from a lot of the changes from GH17 onwards - you can no longer apply +1 to hit in any way whatsoever to the spidervenom.

You used to be able to give +1 from Bellowing Tyrant (nerfed, and no longer affects mounts) and Battle Brew (nerfed, and no longer affects mounts) but both went out the window with GH17.  The final nail in the +1 coffin is the coming nerf to Damned Terrain, with Spiderfang being one of the armies that benefitted greatly from +1 to hit.  You still have the Command Ability that makes it trigger on 5s (as well as the spell that doubles it up), but there are exponentially more -1 to hit debuffs around these days. 

Almost exactly a year ago, a player shook up the world by winning a GT Heat with Moonclan Grots.  Unfortunately Destruction as a GA was eviscerated shortly afterwards by GH17, and nobody has won a significant event with any Destruction army since, and they have been virutally eliminated from the competitive scene (only 4 Destruction armies at SCGT).  The Moonclan player took Chaos to the GT Final shortly afterwards.

Where things will shake out in 2.0 is obviously still up for grabs.  Athough you will see some great ideas on this forum, I think that overall it's accurate to say that the mood / reception amongst Destruction players has been that the changes look set to benefit the Haves more than the Have Nots, or at least not do enough to help a faction that was already way behind, and now has to face armies with 200 extra points on the table.  For example Sylvaneth have access to cheap 2 spell casters via Gnarlroot, they have useful Batallions to pay for Command Points (Grots have no access to Batallions whatsoever), they have had points drops and they have access to free summoning. 

Furthermore GW did not take the opportunity to provide Allegiance Abilities to any more Destruction armies, so Grots of all shades (as well as Gutbusters) will be using the GA Destruction Allegiance Abilities again.

On the plus side, multiple Arachnaroks usually ran out of spells to cast previously.  Now you might be able to throw in some Endless Spells to fully utilise those affordable 2 spell casters.

60 Gitmob Archers with a Shaman to cast his buff spell is a really solid Battleline unit.

The change to Inspiring Presence could benefit Grots more than most since you can slap it on the units that need it, although bear in mind that your opponent will (virtually) always have choice of who goes first (because you do not have access to Batallions), and you will not accrue any Command Points until your own first Hero Phase, so you are incredibly vulnerable to the Alpha Strike.  Maybe you need to handicap yourself 50 points to allow for that.

Overall I would advise caution in terms of buying any more units for the armies you have mentioned.  Although GW are still offering the SC Greenskinz box for example, that faction has had no support whatsover, did not get a Faction Focus, did not get Allegiance Abilities and so on.  I don't think anyone in good conscience could advise buying further into them because all the signs are that they will continue to be marginalised and you would likely be throwing good money after bad.

There are heavy rumours that Battletome Moonclan Grots could be on its way, so I would hold fire on any purchases until then personally.  Every book seems to be very strong when it first drops, so they should be pretty competitive upon release at least.

Also just to add to what others have said, if you want to make an army out of what you currently have:

- The Gitmob artillery is pretty effective.  You get bonuses for running them in batteries of 2 or more and you are capped at 4 artillery pieces.  So I would take either 2 Rock Lobbas and 2 Spear Chukkas, or 3 Spear Chukkas

- You need 3+ Battleline which you have covered with the Grots.  The Spider Riders can be Battleline if you take an all-Spiderfang army, but you don't have anywhere near enough for that.  So you can take Gitmob Allegiance (which lets you run Wolf Riders as Battleline), or Destruction Allegiance (in which case you have to run 3 units of Grots).  Since you don't have any of the Gitmob "Battleline If" you'll be running it as a Destruction army (benefits of all-Gitmob are negligible anyway).

- The Arachnarok and Boss Spider are good fun and still not bad for their points, even if they ain't what they used to be.

- The Gargant is good fun and can get his 160 points back if you roll well.

- Wolf Chariots are greased lightening, and quite the bargain at 40 points.  They look like they will do more than they do so they might draw fire from more valuable targets, and if not they are great for zipping around picking up objectives late on.

All in all - and I'm being honest here, because I think that's important - this army will be firmly in the "fun" category.  It's certainly an army that could lose a LOT of games.  If you are planning on running it competitively, you need to ask yourself honestly whether getting annhiliated in some games by much stronger opponents will be a fun experience. 

If you want to be competing in most games, your Trees might be your best bet (dependning of course on what you have in your collection).  If you don't care, and it's all about Rule of Cool, then this army with its ramshackle, old school feel will win you a lot of cool points, and look awesome on the table. 

Excellent input. I’ll mostly be playing at home with friends but the main foe will be either the new dark elf demons? Or nurgle as he has a large 40k army he can repurpose. Maybe I just need to dive in with a few games of each.  Thank all of you for your input. Shame there are o spider Boyz on foot. Would be an amusing conversion. 

It tells you on the warscroll mate, there are abilities that trigger "if there is another crew within X".

All warscrolls are available to download for free on the official GW site (click through as if you're going to buy it, then look at "Downloads").  Or better still - if you're not onto it yet - they are all on the official AOS app.

Just a heads up, the warscrolls may be rewritten soon, so everything is subject to change!  But as of today you are incentivised to run them in batteries.

12 hours ago, Skeekrit said:

• Big Boss on Gigantic Spider
  • Arachnarok with Shaman
  • Grot Shaman
  • Grot Shaman
  • 60 Gitmob with Bows
  • 20 Gitmob with Spears
  • 20 Gitmob with Spears
  • 2 Wolf Chariots
  • 5 Spider Riders
  • 5 Spider Riders
  • Gargant (Giant)
  • 2 x Spear Chukkas
  • 2 x Rock Lobbers

1900 points on current points (I don't think any of the above are changing a lot). This give 2 'command points' in the new rules which can be used for command abilities and stopping battleshock (panic, grots running away).

I must have misread the rules. How does this give 2 command points? He'd get 1 at the start of his hero phase, but where is the othet one coming from?

10 minutes ago, michu said:

You get 1 command point for each 50 points you have not spent on units. So 100 points = 2 command points.

Is that in the core rules or the GHB? And if so wouldn't he get 3 command points? 1 at the start of his hero phase plus 2 for being 100 points under strength?

Archived