New AoS Player Wondering is Archaon a Thing?

Bazakahuna

So I'm new to AoS, however started playing Warhammer way back in Second Edition. I've flitted in and of the hobby my entire life and while I was predominantly a WHFB player, I liked 40k too. Anyway, with 8th Edition coming out I decided to return to 40k. I drew the line at not playing  AoS, not because I was bitter about WHFB, simply because I know my desire to collect needs firm lines drawn to prevent it getting out of hand... suffice to say watching some AoS and seeing how wonderful the community was decided those lines were silly.

I've been trying to decide what to collect and I think the various Chaos ranges are all amazing; their models are looking sublime. I couldn't decide between a God, and then looking at Archaon I realized I didn't need to as that model is just phenomenal and I found the connection I was looking for. I really want to base an army on the dude!

Finally the question: Is he viable? I understand his statline and rules are absurd, however that by itself isn't enough to necessarily make him playable, points are of course a factor as well as the army around him. So, not knowing much about AoS and 2.0, is it worth me dedicated painting time and dollar to the chap or will I just be disappointed and regret my life decisions.

Note: I don't expect to steam roller everyone and am not looking for imbalanced games in my favour, I just don't want to have to grapple with a ****** army. I like the challenge of battling my opponent, not battling my own army's inadequacies.

Archaon's gone down to 660 points in the new addition, and the update to his command ability allowing free usage of other hero's command abilities will be great in this addition. He's a solid choice in a 2k/1.5k game; just don't send him in to 40 freeguild guard of he'll be stuck there due to poor rend for such a powerful model.

11 minutes ago, Knight Scáthach of Fimm said:

Archaon's gone down to 660 points in the new addition, and the update to his command ability allowing free usage of other hero's command abilities will be great in this addition. He's a solid choice in a 2k/1.5k game; just don't send him in to 40 freeguild guard of he'll be stuck there due to poor rend for such a powerful model.

That makes sense, it's good to hear he's viable. Also nice to hear that he doesn't excel in all vectors, I find that embarrassing when there is just to no way to deal with something I'm playing. Avoiding tar pits add a tactical challenge to him, which actually sounds like conscious design mechanic, and a good one at that.

He has some seriously nasty synergy with Nurgle.  The bell from the GUO, Gnarlmaws, the corruption cycle,  list goes on.

I picked him up and will be basing my 2k league list around him.  Just have to decide if I want some Varanguard or not.

8 hours ago, Darkfine said:

He has some seriously nasty synergy with Nurgle.  The bell from the GUO, Gnarlmaws, the corruption cycle,  list goes on.

I picked him up and will be basing my 2k league list around him.  Just have to decide if I want some Varanguard or not.

That raises another question, to Varanguard or not to Varanguard! I was thinking early on go down that route with a smaller elite army. Then I could decide which God to branch out into first. Nurgle was a first choice as I really love the models, so good to hear there is good synergy!

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 4:24 PM, Samanar said:

How does he work with the Fatesworn warband? I'm thinking about Chaos mortals army mostly based on StD. 

I'm not sure to be honest. I see him working best with any army that can leverage a lot of command abilities. Of all the powers, Nurgle provides that best right now I think. I would be interested to see what Slaanesh looks like if they give them any love, a 20 wound model that can heal provides a lot of summoning points

Archived