A new race for Destruction emerges, designing a race from scratch.

So guys, as we all know, the realms are super magical and wonderful. As much as I love the armies on show right now, I really wanna work on something crazy and unique.

Now, ever since I started playing through Final Fantasy XIV, and more specifically, the Heavensward content, I’ve come across a bout of inspiration (see picture below). So this is Lord Ravana, one of the Primals, and he is in control of a race of bug people. I started thinking “man, bug people would be a bloody cool idea”.

6AA42CCE-7F9B-4D20-ABB7-28C01E3B8298.png.641455fa8da7211db2ff97b01af1c5b5.png

So I’ve decided that I want to work on an army of bug people, from the ground up and post my progress and receive feed back. Currently all I have is that they will be a race of Destruction, as all they care about is war and pillage. Aesthetically, they’re going to be very tribal looking, with not much armour and a lot of clan markings. Lesser soldiers will be flightless, but a lot of the more elite units will have wings. Weapon wise, they will be similar in design to the Aethervoid Pendulum, and they will have a strong magical influence.

F8D19FF3-4E34-4085-9C83-E2C00C31B4DA.jpeg.b595374b7221cc7c3c467393a8a2a8ab.jpeg

I will keep you informed!

11 hours ago, SaviourAnarchy said:

So guys, as we all know, the realms are super magical and wonderful. As much as I love the armies on show right now, I really wanna work on something crazy and unique.

Now, ever since I started playing through Final Fantasy XIV, and more specifically, the Heavensward content, I’ve come across a bout of inspiration (see picture below). So this is Lord Ravana, one of the Primals, and he is in control of a race of bug people. I started thinking “man, bug people would be a bloody cool idea”.

6AA42CCE-7F9B-4D20-ABB7-28C01E3B8298.png.641455fa8da7211db2ff97b01af1c5b5.png

So I’ve decided that I want to work on an army of bug people, from the ground up and post my progress and receive feed back. Currently all I have is that they will be a race of Destruction, as all they care about is war and pillage. Aesthetically, they’re going to be very tribal looking, with not much armour and a lot of clan markings. Lesser soldiers will be flightless, but a lot of the more elite units will have wings. Weapon wise, they will be similar in design to the Aethervoid Pendulum, and they will have a strong magical influence.

F8D19FF3-4E34-4085-9C83-E2C00C31B4DA.jpeg.b595374b7221cc7c3c467393a8a2a8ab.jpeg

I will keep you informed!

Have you seen NEOStoneMonk's work on twitter?

He seems to have a similar idea, and it's looking amazing!

Df_zCBHUwAEalON.jpgI apologize for any possible copyright whatnots, will remove picture if asked.

I was thinking about the Simic Combine (from Magic the Gathering) when I came up with the name, I want them to be this kind of destructive force of nature but not with the rapid evolution thing the Tyranids have.

I was basically just stuck for a name and my friend said The *Blank* Collective and “Simiant” was the first thing to enter my head. xD

Makes sense, whats the working background for their society, with your definition between the winged elites and the groundborne standard soldiers is it very much a Caste based society? i.e. if you're wingless you're a grunt working for the more elite soldiers who literally and figuratively look down on you from a great height. Following the insect concept is there a "Hive" with a queen? Because they'd make a fantastic infestation on the realms literally having warrens of tunnels snaking beneath the surface of the realms emerging from countless caves and hatched to ravage the empires before disappearing back below again. Elusive, nightmarish and the stuff of legends to the mortal folk of the reams.

So you’ve pretty much just nailed everything I’ve worked on tonight there; the lowest ranking troops are wingless and they’re called the Simiant Hive, and they tend to use spears.

An extremely caste based race, there will almost certainly be a Queen in each Collective of Simiants. You’ve got Warloques, who are the sage/caster caste, the Sqaraabs will be the Elite Guard, and the Elite Infantry will be called the Mantys.

I’m aiming for early to mid 20s in terms of warscroll count.

Good logical reasoning, I've always been apprehensive in exceeding the initial battletomes (ironjawz, beastclaw) and the more recent lesser factional tomes (Idoneth, Daughters) so stuck solid at 15, though at times have felt that I've missed out on countless units that -could- of been part of the tome in order to keep within the creative constraints.

Some work in progress titles, 19 warscrolls so far. I like this number but if I think of anything else I may add it.

The idea is they don’t hit well, but they hit hard, like a big ant would.

I feel like a bit of a copycat on the old sun thing, but I can’t think of any other element that works with beetles, as they do tend to thrive in deserts and sunny locations.

image.jpg

You may be toeing on other GW lines on a few off those names:

Triarch - Necron elite guard of the king

Spyre Hunters - Necromunda elite hunters

Warloque - Warlock (Clan Skyre)

They might need a rename just to avoid confusion. 

Other than that it looks like a cool mix, I wouldnt worry about the Sun confusion between them and Seraphon.

On 6/25/2018 at 1:27 PM, SaviourAnarchy said:

I feel like a bit of a copycat on the old sun thing, but I can’t think of any other element that works with beetles, as they do tend to thrive in deserts and sunny locations.

Have you thought about going in the opposite direction? When I think about beetles/ants/bugs, I think about dark and moist places. The rot and the mould, the dirt that exists far below the shining spires of the cities of order. All these little critters are often part of the group of decomposers in nature. 
So maybe, where nurgle enjoys the rot and the mould, your faction takes care of all the trash and unwanted things that the other factions produce. 
But they are fed up with their position in life now and want to climb the latter to the top, if necessary by bring everyone else down with them? 

Or, heck, they could be nearly mindless.  Keeping in with the rest of Destruction being really, really dumb, this faction could just be expansionism simplified.  They go anywhere and everywhere to build their nests, obliterating whatever was before them.  They don't have reason to them, they just go ahead and do it.  They can't be swayed to Chaos, they can't cooperate with Order, they ignore the overwhelming certainty of Death, so the only place for them to be is in Destruction.

I toyed around with this concept with a conceived Robot/Golem faction that explicitly ignored or destroyed magic.  Haven't followed up on that all, btw.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been exceedingly busy with work lately, but I have taken all the feedback on board and have spoken to a few friends about the theme; so I have decided to go with a more underground, abyss, deep kind of theme. How their magic works is by actually draining magic from the area around them, actually taking life away from the area leaving it useless. Eventually magic returns, but this kind of brings around the plague of locusts kind of theme.

A few name changes,

Sun-warden (buff priest) is now the Deep-caller

Sunscrier (offence wizard) is now the Abyssal Warden

Avatar of the Old Age is now Avatar of the Deep Abyss

Sunshard Beetles are now called Coreshard Beetles, where the Collective have mined up raw coalesced magic and used it to raise up their war beetles.

My friend gave me this as a food for thought for the magic

“Core Energy Magic -
Magic derived from the realm’s Core Energy that flows through the realm’s natural resources. 
Using the magic is extremely powerful but completely expends the area of land it is cast in”

So I’m thinking that whenever a wizard casts a spell, they can place a “Dead Earth” token, or something to that effect, to get a buff on casting, but spells can’t be cast in a certain range of those tokens?

So my dudes, big news. I got talking to my friend about the project, and he got super hyped and has been throwing me Alpha concept art all night!

So big thanks to the man who shall currently be known as “Librarius Obscurus”, please let me know what you think, but I’m absolutely ecstatic so far.

Also remember that these designs are not final, even if they’re looking damn cool.

4266B267-8881-417E-9763-F42839C75F2D.jpeg

C0C3C4ED-597F-4D9C-B1CC-0261190A6E92.jpeg

4F2A60CC-F03B-48C7-A649-98252EB97D8B.jpeg

0437AC56-CA69-4F77-9919-D85D49EA6D79.jpeg

F4109E05-3B82-4387-86D7-2181A4123DDD.jpeg

28729F05-20E8-4D27-95D2-0F37BCD84BBC.jpeg

4675B147-B5CD-47D2-991D-18CB2DAF7302.jpeg

AFA40B58-4A07-4A93-9118-51759945E70D.jpeg

C1A20EDF-FE23-4BED-B598-D64D72E9BE47.jpeg

8A065B32-E364-41C9-8B7D-077D0D0E68E2.jpeg

Looking good, in order to play up the ravenous scavenger aspect have you considered making their weapons look like they have been hewn from bone, that way the hive literally strips the bones clean of flesh and meat and then the engineers come in and carve away huge chunks of bone to form their weapons, tech and whatever else is used from. That way you can have them descend on a civilisation and by the time theyre done there is literally no trace anything ever existed in that place. Essentially they are like the immune system of the realms, wiping clean the "virus" of civilization and resetting the wild back to wilderness

• 4 weeks later...

Archived