Let's talk about Endless Spells

Aginor

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I am not a fan of the everblaze comet rules.

By giving it a 36" range they've made it easy to achieve a situation where it is impossible to dispel it.

It's got a massive 10" radius which means it affects a huge number of models. 

It does damage like a predatory spell at the beginning of the battle round but never moves so there's no chance it can backfire on you and if you cast it after going second in the battleround it will go off twice with nothing your opponent can do. 

It's a spell that basically does not interact with your opponent and so makes for a "bad feels" gaming experience. 

Games designer dropped the ball on that one... 100 points is a bargain 

15 hours ago, Richelieu said:

I think many people under estimate how good purple sun is against non horde armies.  Remember it slays models, it doesn't deal mortals (unless the unit has 6+ wounds characteristic).  So if you roll a 6 against a unit of ogors you're effectively doing the same as rolling four sixes against a one wound horde.

And it looks rad.

Sure, if it does something then it does good damage.

The statistical chance of it doing nothing against a horde of 30 Skinks is almost non-existent, but against a unit of 5-10 Brutes it happens. At least Brutes have 3 wounds so if it hits it does good damage.

So basically for units of multi wound models (Elite armies like Jronjawz, SCE and the like) it is a risk vs. reward thing. It doesn't hit that often but at least it hits hard if it does.

Against single wound elite models that are sometimes played in units of 5-10 (like Saurus Guard or Grave Guard for example) it isn't that great.

And yes, it looks awesome. :)

2 hours ago, Carnelian said:

By giving it a 36" range they've made it easy to achieve a situation where it is impossible to dispel it.

It does damage like a predatory spell at the beginning of the battle round but never moves so there's no chance it can backfire on you and if you cast it after going second in the battleround it will go off twice with nothing your opponent can do. 

It's a spell that basically does not interact with your opponent and so makes for a "bad feels" gaming experience. 

That's pretty much my stance on it. It isn't game breaking or anything, but it isn't fun IMO.

As for the other faction specific spells:

The SCE disc is OK, the Hammers... meh. Too random for my taste but OK for 40 points.

The Nighthaunt spells are interesting but situational. The Reaper is pretty good against Elite armies. The Vault is a mini purple sun, OK against hordes, the hourglass spell is... hard to control I guess. Since it is both for damage and for healing it is hard to make it reliable for either use.

4 hours ago, Carnelian said:

Also it is a damn nuisance to use - you roll a d3 for this;

1= 1 mortal

2=d3 mortals

3= 3mortals.

Why the hell doesn't it just inflict d3 wounds?! Did anyone playtest this?

2 hours ago, Marc Wilson said:

The Everblaze comet is ironically best against other Stormcast - so they kind of deserve it.

Yes and no. It can outright one-shot the squishier heroes of several armies. FEC, Grots, Seraphon and possibly Skaven have several heroes with only 4-5 wounds, so if they get hit by it the chance of them dying is quite good (haven't done the math but probably somewhere near 40%, maybe better). With a little bit of luck it would kill several of them in one round before they can even act.

Sure, the comet will not kill the horde units of those armies but with their heroes gone they lose their synergies and then they are toast.

Right now their best defense probably is staying together and one of them has to have the Lens of Refraction.

It sounds very strong against those, at least on paper.

So,  plague wind (great unclean one).   Pick a point within 14" of caster, draw line back to caster.   What would happen with the spell portal?  

1) pick a point within 14" of portal,  draw line to caster (the best I can come up with,  RAW).  

2) pick a point within 14" of portal,  draw line to portal. 

3) no effect,  does not involve  "range" (I could see this being an FAQ solution)

# 1 creates "issues", to say the least.   That line could traverse the whole table.  With Thrice Befoulment,  that wind does 3D3 mortals. 

I apologize in advance if this has been hashed over elsewhere. 

4 hours ago, grungolah said:

So,  plague wind (great unclean one).   Pick a point within 14" of caster, draw line back to caster.   What would happen with the spell portal?  

1) pick a point within 14" of portal,  draw line to caster (the best I can come up with,  RAW).  

2) pick a point within 14" of portal,  draw line to portal. 

3) no effect,  does not involve  "range" (I could see this being an FAQ solution)

# 1 creates "issues", to say the least.   That line could traverse the whole table.  With Thrice Befoulment,  that wind does 3D3 mortals. 

I apologize in advance if this has been hashed over elsewhere. 

Since everything is measured from the portal as if it was the caster my interpretation of what probably is intended is that the line will originate at the portal, so #2

2 hours ago, Aginor said:

Since everything is measured from the portal as if it was the caster my interpretation of what probably is intended is that the line will originate at the portal, so #2

Point of origin is an idea from another game.  Sigmar doesn't have anything this complicated yet, but we may be headed there.   

?

At least they clarified that casting range bonuses don't affect endless spells (even though my Seraphon are nor happy because of arcane vassal not working anymore) and the change on the Geminids is OK as well.

I wish it would have been a matched play only restriction.  It's annoying to get nice printed warscrolls in the box and two of them are wrong already when they could have just done a matched play only FAQ entry and left them alone.

8 minutes ago, Nin Win said:

I wish it would have been a matched play only restriction.  It's annoying to get nice printed warscrolls in the box and two of them are wrong already when they could have just done a matched play only FAQ entry and left them alone.

I agree that it is annoying.  However, having played multiple different games that use rules cards for units, I prefer when companies are willing to make changes to those cards when necessary - even when they inconveniently invalidate the cards.  I prefer a healthier state of the game.

I think the change to the spell portal and Geminids are healthy. They stop them from being 'too good' and the spell portal was already beginning to start shifting the meta towards more wizard-heavy armies even in Destruction lists that are traditionally very short on casting.

Personally I'd expect cogs, balewind and shackles to get the bat next.

5 hours ago, WindstormSCR said:

I think the change to the spell portal and Geminids are healthy. They stop them from being 'too good' and the spell portal was already beginning to start shifting the meta towards more wizard-heavy armies even in Destruction lists that are traditionally very short on casting.

Personally I'd expect cogs, balewind and shackles to get the bat next.

I also like the changes for the Geminids, they are fluffy and bring the spell more in line with its point cost.

The portal...meh. I understand the change but I am not sure whether it was that necessary.

But what is wrong with the shackles? Why do you expect a change coming for them?

Archived