Malign Sorcery AMA

ianob

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

no, you can't have several endless spell at a time on the battlefield

I was told you can when I visited the store.

They said you can’t try casting the same spell more than once per turn but you can trying casting it in subsequent turns (successful or not) meaning more than one endless spell on the field of battle.

That’s coming from an employee who has pored over the rulebook.

So, which is true? The GW employee or this forum? Would love to know.

1 minute ago, Mcthew said:

They said you can’t try casting the same spell more than once per turn but you can trying casting it in subsequent turns (successful or not) meaning more than one endless spell on the field of battle.

The Warhammer Community article is why this forum is telling you that it's impossible to cast more than one: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/06/15/14th-june-preview-malign-sorcerygw-homepage-post-4/

"The only restrictions are that a Wizard can attempt to summon just one endless spell per turn, and a single player can’t summon more than one of the same endless spell in a matched play game."

Granted, that restriction only applies to Matched Play, but it's pretty definitive.

Yeah I think the confusion stems from people on the Internet (like us) mostly ignoring narrative and open play, so we use the more strict ruling for matched play.

So both we and the GW employee seem to be right, just in different game modes.

7 minutes ago, Aginor said:

Yeah I think the confusion stems from people on the Internet (like us) mostly ignoring narrative and open play, so we use the more strict ruling for matched play.

So both we and the GW employee seem to be right, just in different game modes.

Ah - right, that makes sense, thanks.

I tend to play with all modes of play in a blender.  I imagine we'll probably start off with not worrying about the extra restrictions and only add in the matched play limits if things become a problem.  Considering we played 1st edition with summoning without reserve points and never had a problem there, I think it'll be fine.

I think it's only natural that matched play dominates the discussion of the game with strangers.  It's a method for getting on the same page with people you don't know so you can have a game.  It makes a lot of sense to assume it for discussion purposes.

The only question I still have:  I've heard there's a mix up with base sizes and the instructions are wrong about one spell and that if you build the burning head last you won't have the right size base to match up with the instructions but will have the right size base to line up with the product pictures.   Anyone know if there's any truth to this?  Or are people making some sort of mistake somewhere along the way?

4 hours ago, Nin Win said:

The only question I still have:  I've heard there's a mix up with base sizes and the instructions are wrong about one spell and that if you build the burning head last you won't have the right size base to match up with the instructions but will have the right size base to line up with the product pictures.   Anyone know if there's any truth to this?  Or are people making some sort of mistake somewhere along the way?

That is correct. I don’t remember which of the E2’s list the e3 base though. You have enough bases ... it just swaps two .. one ends up looking oversized and the skull is on an undersized as I recall. (It’s one of the single model units ... maybe swords?)

A question.  The specific spells cost points and are added to your army list like units.  They do not have any faction keywords. 

Does this mean that they count towards your drops, and cannot be part of any "big battalions" since they don't have the keywords?  So one drop armies that use them will no longer be one drop (such as Gnarlroot)?

1 minute ago, PlasticCraic said:

A question.  The specific spells cost points and are added to your army list like units.  They do not have any faction keywords. 

Does this mean that they count towards your drops, and cannot be part of any "big battalions" since they don't have the keywords?  So one drop armies that use them will no longer be one drop (such as Gnarlroot)?

They’re not deployed, so not relevant to deployment.

15 hours ago, Mcthew said:

Competitive players with the rulebook are a much better source of information than GW store staff, for future reference :) 

I've seen GW store staff tell people rules that were straight up wrong to sell them a model more times than I can count.

On 6/19/2018 at 8:15 AM, GeneralZero said:

All Endless Spell miniatures should have TRANSPARENT bases: it is really the best looking solution on a battlefield.  Has someone all the ES bases dimensions out there?

I wanted you to know I love this idea. +1

17 hours ago, rokapoke said:
17 hours ago, Mcthew said:

The Warhammer Community article is why this forum is telling you that it's impossible to cast more than one: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/06/15/14th-june-preview-malign-sorcerygw-homepage-post-4/

"The only restrictions are that a Wizard can attempt to summon just one endless spell per turn, and a single player can’t summon more than one of the same endless spell in a matched play game."

Granted, that restriction only applies to Matched Play, but it's pretty definitive.

If I have 5 wizards in my army then each wizard could attempt to cast a different endless spell. The current rule of one states that you can’t attempt to cast the same spell  

The endless spells rules state that each player cannot have more than one instance of an endless spell on the board at any one time. However, you can attempt to re-summon an  endless spell that was dispelled in subsequent turns. (You just can’t have two of the same on the board that were cast by you.)

24 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

The problem is that now, every mesurment is made from the base of the miniature: we need the base exact size of Endless Spells. Then I'll try to find a solution for transparent bases. (maybe acrylic , laser cut)

Just as a word of warning, three of the spells (the long ones) have the bases molded into the model rather than a separate base for it.

I know that: I've looked carefully in my local GW shop and I think they can be cut arount the moulded shape which is not very complicated (with a pair of cutters).

This is the very same issue that we have with for example the Wight King which has a moulded square base that we have to cut to glue it on a round base. Not a big deal BTW.9_9

23 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

I know that: I've looked carefully in my local GW shop and I think they can be cut arount the moulded shape which is not very complicated (with a pair of cutters).

This is the very same issue that we have with for example the Wight King which has a moulded square base that we have to cut to glue it on a round base. Not a big deal BTW.9_9

The gravetide and palisades bases actually look pretty darn awesome in my opinion... they’re not the beige featureless bases. Cutting with clippers would likely require remolding or hiding of clipper marks which isn’t easy with a clear acrylic base. 

Clipping like with the wight king base works much better when you can hide the clipping bits with texture paint or basing material.

Might have been answered somewhere in the last 5 pages butCan you set up an endless spell on the other side of the portal? Or because it says set up within x of the caster do you have to set it up on your side and move it through?

10 hours ago, svnvaldez said:

Might have been answered somewhere in the last 5 pages butCan you set up an endless spell on the other side of the portal? Or because it says set up within x of the caster do you have to set it up on your side and move it through?

No, it only "teleports" at the end of a movement. Which also means that spells that dont move (eg shackles) can't teleport.

16 hours ago, ianob said:

No, it only "teleports" at the end of a movement. Which also means that spells that dont move (eg shackles) can't teleport.

Except if your wizard is within 1" of one mirror they can cast as if at the point of the second mirror as per the rules of the umbral spellportal :)

So you can set up the spell within X of the other portal and move from there

4 hours ago, Arentius said:

Except if your wizard is within 1" of one mirror they can cast as if at the point of the second mirror as per the rules of the umbral spellportal :)

So you can set up the spell within X of the other portal and move from there

It doesn’t work like this. Setting up a model is not “measuring spell range”. The Umbral Spellportal is very specific in what it let’s you do, it doesn’t let you “measure any distance from the portal instead of the wizard”, it lets you measure only range and visibility.

Unless you’ve seen an official source that says different?

Now I am getting a little bit confused about the base thing, Which way to assemble the Endless Spells is now the correct way with the correct base size?

I just don't want to follow the instructions and get things messed up, because of that. 

Now what do I have to do to make it "right" when the box arrives?

Archived