Ironjawz AOS2 2018 Help Me Be Positive

Rock Lobster

4 hours ago, Rock Lobster said:

Indeed. Also it is worth noting that 3 megabosses is 20 points cheaper than a maw krusha, can use multiple waaaghs, has 4 more wounds, -1 to hit from shooting, and is a beat stick in combat. When if you get 2 Waaaaghs off they each have 8 attacks plus 4 from the rip roof. That 36 total high quality attacks from the 3. 

The Megaboss on foot is often overlooked by the enemy when run in conjunction with a Maw Krusha. I've played a few games now where my opponent hasn't paid much attention to him, only for him to arrive in combat with a Waaagh! in tow and cleave a giant hole through a unit.

13 damage overall to a unit of 5 Chaos Knights made for some entertaining reactions from the guy I was playing with! Only one remained with 2 wounds and newly developed PTSD.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Asamu said:

Too bad the Fungoid Cave shaman run and charge command ability requires him to be the general. It's good if you're playing mixed Destruction, but you can't use it with IJ allegiance.

As far as I remember it was cleraly stated (FAQ I believe) that these "Malign Avatars" can be an army general even if aalied - So Fungoid dude can be IJ general.

On 6/15/2018 at 2:53 PM, novakai said:

I heard IJ got third place in Triumph GT if it makes you feel any better.

It's true. I know him. Brian understands his Ironjawz very well and is an exceptional general. He murdered a Changehost, beat a solid mixed order army and was playing on the top table before he lost his last game.  He's shown me and other IJ players can be viable, but we have to be cunning and know our strengths and weaknesses. 

I can still see Ironjawz doing well locally but on the national or GT stage, we may struggle for a bit until our next update comes next yes. 

2 hours ago, Berdysz said:

As far as I remember it was cleraly stated (FAQ I believe) that these "Malign Avatars" can be an army general even if aalied - So Fungoid dude can be IJ general.

This is true.  But you miss out on the command trait.  

Just now, Fuggorf said:

I've seen the 'new' or 'changed' Smashin and Bashin. What's different about it?

You get to pick what unit is next to attack instead of picking the next closest unit.  It's much, much better.  Gives more flexibility in setting up your chains.

4 hours ago, AlphaKennyThing said:

The Megaboss on foot is often overlooked by the enemy when run in conjunction with a Maw Krusha. I've played a few games now where my opponent hasn't paid much attention to him, only for him to arrive in combat with a Waaagh! in tow and cleave a giant hole through a unit.

13 damage overall to a unit of 5 Chaos Knights made for some entertaining reactions from the guy I was playing with! Only one remained with 2 wounds and newly developed PTSD.

With the old battlebrew he was so good.  We still call him the Megabrew in our club.  Killing 20 skeletons in one attack every game.

Im starting to like the idea of going bloodtoofs. More starting command points is the real winner here while there isnt a lot of factions that can do that without just spending points to buy more command points.

And really the realmgate only serves to give them all +2 bravery.

20 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

Im starting to like the idea of going bloodtoofs. More starting command points is the real winner here while there isnt a lot of factions that can do that without just spending points to buy more command points.

Yup,,heres what ive got the models for now--

Mega-cabbage
 Warchanter

Troll Hag(allie)

2x3 Gore Gruntas
 2x5 Brutes
 10 Ardboyz

Ironfist

Bloodtoofs

This should pop in around 1980 or something,,maybe  then a cheaper  Endless spell,or just hold points for triumph.Starts the game with 3 command points..Had the Hag for minimal casting as I dont ever have success trying to turn an army thats dedicated to one thing(melee in this case) into a magic focused army.

Could try some variations with less Brutes and more Ardboyz as with this low  model count,mortal wounds will destroy this army straight away.Also could forgo the Hag and go with a lessor caster and more bodies or a Mega-foot boss,,though I really like that Hag as a distraction,,she can be very hard to kill unless seriously focused down.

Im probably going to be playing destro for the rest of the year as our regular group doesnt have any destro players,,though I use my LoN for tourneys and probably still will to round out the year at least..I cant imagine trying to run IJs in my local tourney meta even seeing the changes thus far.Still alot to see how its going to play out,perhaps all this endless spell stuff wont make the efficiency cut in matched play and the non magic armies will rise.

43 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

Not to be sniffed at is it?. Really helpful for Brutes and Ardboyz get + 4 to charge and +4 bravery in combat 

1 minute ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

Not to be sniffed at is it?. Really helpful for Brutes and Ardboyz get + 4 to charge and +4 bravery in combat

How you get +4 and +4? 
Brutes
Bravery 
+1 from artefact 
+2 from battalion 
+1 ....
Charge
+1 allegiance

+1 battalion
+2 ...

Arboyz

Bravery 
+1 from artefact 
+2 from battalion 
+2 from banner near enemy

how you get 4?
Charge
+1 allegiance

+1 battalion
+2 from drams

47 minutes ago, Imperial said:

How you get +4 and +4? 
Brutes
Bravery 
+1 from artefact 
+2 from battalion 
+1 ....
Charge
+1 allegiance

+1 battalion
+2 ...

Arboyz

Bravery 
+1 from artefact 
+2 from battalion 

how you get 4?
Charge
+1 allegiance

+1 battalion
+2 from drams

The second part was referring to ardboyz only.  

"Really helpful for Brutes." 
"And ardboyz get ..."  

Two separate thoughts.  
Ardboyz get +4 bravery from the battalion and the banner.

49 minutes ago, Imperial said:

How you get +4 and +4? 
Brutes
Bravery 
+1 from artefact 
+2 from battalion 
+1 ....
Charge
+1 allegiance

+1 battalion
+2 ...

Arboyz

Bravery 
+1 from artefact 
+2 from battalion 

how you get 4?
Charge
+1 allegiance

+1 battalion
+2 from drams

I only meant +4 for the Ardboys, needs more punctuation. Banner and  Bloodtoofs is +4 bravery when within 3” of the enemy and for Charge it’s +1 Alliegence ability, +1 Bloodtoofs and +2 for Drumer. Of course none of that is new to AoS2. The point drop makes smaller units of Ardboyz more economical though. 

So with the Cogs from the endless spells it would be +4 charge for Brutes and +6!!! for Ardboys. 

If you are running units of 5 Brutes then +2 bravery is really all you need, means that they have to kill 3 models before you even risk one fleeing.

3 minutes ago, Malakree said:

So with the Cogs from the endless spells it would be +4 charge for Brutes and +6!!! for Ardboys. 

If you are running units of 5 Brutes then +2 bravery is really all you need, means that they have to kill 3 models before you even risk one fleeing.

Ironfist* Gorddrakk plus cogs and waaagh?

Im not 100% sold on the cogs. For one, the enemy cant take control of them so placement and defense of them is key.

Second, its a double edge sword as every unit on the battlefield benefits...including the enemies. Thats potentially very bad with certain factions.

2 hours ago, Malakithe said:

Im not 100% sold on the cogs. For one, the enemy cant take control of them so placement and defense of them is key.

Second, its a double edge sword as every unit on the battlefield benefits...including the enemies. Thats potentially very bad with certain factions.

Actually,Cogs may be totally the choice for IJ`s the movement buff increases average first turn threat range,along with other buffs from Ironfist and allegiance to 20" for Ardboys and 18 for Brutes,and I think 23 for Boars?.This of course does not include the allegiance random possibility of a 6" move for a unit in the hero phase.This should put at least a few units into your opponents face straight away(probably boars),,and at least put your entire army into turn two wreck stuff position.

Short of dispelling and of course failure to cast,I dont see much of a downside to the cogs,,in order for a wizard to switch its mode they need to be within 9" and it would certainly pay to place this well into your own starting territory to keep that from happening.But the effects of it happen all across the board with no range restriction.I could see a first turn move buff then switch it to magic and gain the spell the rest of the time its up.If im facing off against a magic focused army,im likely to gain from the extra spell more than they are,,and if not,then ill just keep it at the movement setting.As far as the opponent benifiting from the movement buff,,playing a melee army like IJ`s there is usually no downside to that.

I think we have nice options now ! With a Bloodtooth battalion, we can do a balanced list :

Megaboss on maw crusha

Shaman

Warchanter

Megaboss

Brutes*2

Gruntas*3

Ironfist

Bloodtooth

Cogs

First of all, we have a lot of chances to start the game with one batalion-army. With two battalions, we start the game with 4 command points (1900 points list). Four heroes mean that we have more chances to trigger our allegiance ability. In this edition, I think it's really dangerous to play without a shaman with his increase dispel range. And we can cast the cogs to improve the momentum of the list. Improving our bravery is always good even with low count model units.

With Gruntas we can lock in combat ranged units to avoid shooting on other units. With 6" from allegiance, d6" from ironfist battalion, 9" movement, 2" from cogs and then 2d6" charge + 1" allegiance +1" bloodtooth +2" cogs.

And when the real fight starts, we have two waaaghs and warchanter to boost our line units.

We already could do that list before but with the cogs and the rule changes, I think we can do much better !

Just for fun, with the point changes, what do you think of a three maw crusha list ??? 

Why does everybody say we start the game with 2 command points? Am I missing something? Or maybe I overread it, but I thought we only get one command point per hero phase? Or do we also get one at the start of the game? I can't find the rule or I am overlooking something.

They’re saying that by taking two battalions or having points spare you can start the game with 2+ command points. 

Then, once YOUR turn begins, in your hero phase, you generate an additional command point. 

Therefore, by your turn Turn1 you will have generated 3 command points to play with - as an example 

1 hour ago, Lanoss said:

Hey what’s the verdict of using Gordrak for the Megaboss on MawKrusha selection in the Bloodtoofs/Ironsunz battalions as he has the Maw Krusha and Megaboss keywords??

Can he be used instead of regular MK?

I think RAW it would be legal, but bataillion state a name for those MK wich is kind of counterintuitive. I would say it's a good question to ask to GW to clarify :)

If you can get those cogs going with the bloodtoofs there really is a good chance of a turn 1 smash and grab on the enemy. Especially with the gore gruntas. You go 18” assuming you roll 1s for both charge dice and iron fist dice. If you roll 3s on all those dice you are covering 24” . If you get the destruction move you hit pretty much anything in 1 turn.

Archived