No Greenskin-Faction Focus...could it means something BIG?

GorbadIronClaw

The lack of a preview for regular orcs only leads toward this two possibilities:

-They are going to dissapear as an "into the mix" AoS faction

or

-They are going to be one of the next Destruction factions to have a new Battletome 

The first one is more unlikely in my opinion, for the very same reason I think the second is the winning one: GW likes to hint oftenly in the codex´s lore the next factions who are going to arise in new Battletomes, and with Greenskins this have happened in the Idoneth book where it is mentioned that they built a fortress city in an island.

Taking this into account, and as I theorized in a previous post sometime ago, we must be facing a new approach to the old orcs as a more technological society, beign this another hint on itself, given that is different enough to the old days and you might think that GW is taking his time to re-adapt and reimaging them to AoS era ala Bonesplitters or DoK. Furthermore, maybe the SC on the Order alliance is not a typo, but a repositioning to make them even more different as an Orruk faction.

I would love to see Greenskinz get love, because it would show GW are actually committed to all these old factions they keep around.

They also used to be a pretty big favourite of GW's back in the day, so I would like to see what GW do with them given Bonesplitterz cover the savage primal side and the Ironjawz cover the 'eavy armoured side.

It's just that they need a bit of love... They can't do a Bonesplitterz/Beastclaw Raiders on the army. The kits they have available to them aren't diverse enough for that (If they really wanted to keep around the Orruk boyz kit and put in Arrer Boyz they'd need to add an extra sprue). The Chariot kit needs to be redone at this stage, it's just too old.

My gut feeling is... somehow Greenskinz have just been accidentally forgotten. Sounds strange, but I mean they gave a faction focus for every other playable faction including Moonclan Grots which are probably more likely to be getting a battletome in the near future.

Problem with greenskinz is their models. They are ancient and tbh rather boring. I don't see much future for them, not even in some legion of gorkamorka book if such thing ever comes. Ironjawz is most likely the new main ork faction while bonesplitterz will be the more niche flavourful ork faction. One thing I've noted is that factions that lack their own identity have no real place in age of sigmar, which is why a lot of old factions don't have that great support for them.

Plus to be fair most of the faction focuses for Dest are pretty bad anyways.

The Grot one is basically a disguised Troggoth focus (and just saying that they went down in points). Granted Moonclan are basically confirmed to get an update, but Gitmobs at this point exclusively exist to give artillery options.

I'm still surprised they don't just turn normal greenskins into the "marauders" of ironjawz.

I was pretty sure that there was a section in the main rulebook for them.  I flipped through it yesterday, but I did not stop very long in the faction section.

I did look at the basic Grand Alliance Allegiance abilities (which are now in the main core rulebook) and the Destruction Allegiance looks at a quick glance to be exactly the same as for GHB 2017.  Allegiance ability, general traits, and artifacts all appeared to be the same.

I'll try to get a peek into the book this afternoon if I have time and see how Greenskinz are listed in it.

I noticed them missing from the factions page too and it is pretty disheartening. I play ironjaws but do have a built and painted Greenskinz Start Collecting force. I want to expand them but I just don't have the confidence to spend money on them until I know what is happening to them.

I don’t understand, they have been mentioned in a lot of background materials ever since the beginning of age of Sigmar.  I would actually be sad if they replaced them with ironjaws as they wouldn’t have anything to compare the other orruk factions to make them sounds unique.  Hell they have been such a quintessential part of GW IP since the beginning it wouldn’t makeup since for them to discontinue the line like is being suggested here.

I've got a decent amount of Greenskinz and Gitmob, but I must admit most of it isn't painted.

I've been waffling on converting it all over to 40k Orks*. When they didn't give them anything in GHB 2017 I decided to give them until GHB 2018. With the new edition and GHB coming early that plan no longer seems valid. I'm waiting for my pre-order of the big book to come in so I can see what they include for the Greenskinz and Gitmob from a lore perspective (it sounds like maybe not much?).

If they came out with more technologically advanced Greenskinz that would make me happy from the selfish position of being able to play them both in AoS and in 40k as Snakebites, kind of like people do with daemons.

*I actually recently picked up about a hundred ork boyz that had been magnetized to use both slugga and choppa and shoota. Normally I wouldn't bother magnetizing basic infantry like that, but since so much of the work has already been done I might go ahead and magnetize Greenskinz to work with both sci-fi and fantasy arms.

On Facebook some people complained about the lack of faction focus for Greenskinz and both answers were really positive, like "They are and will keep being part of the Mortal Realms and the game". One guy even ask if they get the Bretonnian treatment, which was denied. So, I am not super positive, but I am also not all too negative.

It would seem weird for them to get rid of Greenskinz, as a big part of Iron Jawz and Bonesplitterz identity seems to be based on how they are different from normal orruks.

If they did either get rid of the Greenskinz faction, or retired the old models and replaced them with new ones that were so different in terms of size and/or wargear that the existing models weren't a good match, I imagine that a lot of the existing Greenskinz models could be played as "counts as" Bonesplitterz.

To be brutally honest, I think that what they've said is "We still have boxes of Start Collecting Greenskins to sell" rather than "We will do something with them".

Best case scenario for old greenskins - give them keyword Ironjawz and Lesser Boys (hence they can't participate in IJ Waagh n stuff). Will solve both the problems - lack of variety for IJ and lack of usage for Greenskins.

I apologize if this has been discussed previously, as I am on vacation and I only skimmed the title thread and not the rest of the conversation.

But I don't think the lack of a faction focus for Greenskinz really means anything.  Greenskinz will get a battletome eventually.  Remember that this is Games Workshop we are talking about and they are not at all shy about making books for thin sub-factions within their games (if we want to lump Greenskinz into that category).  In 40k they made a codex for Harlequins, Imperial Knights, and are going to release one for Genestealer Cults soon.  Those are about as niche of factions as you can find.

I know that GW has not shown any love for Destruction in a while, but I think that was primarily a function of 2 factors.  One is that last year they had all hands on deck working on cranking out 40k.  The rules writers managed to release army books for 85% of all the factions in that game within 1 year from a total edition rewrite that broke every previous army book.  That was a tremendous feat and I am sure it took a lot of effort.  They still managed to release some stuff for Age of Sigmar during that time frame.  And bear in mind that they were most likely also working on the rules for the new edition of Age of Sigmar at the same time.  I bet that the rules team was simply swamped with work.  On the model side we should also bear in mind that GW has had production capacity issues for the last couple of years.  Their pipeline is full and they have mentioned that they have been working to open up an entire new production facility to increase capacity.  Given that every physical product needs a large lead-time then it means that they have to plan stuff out a fair ways.

Another thing to consider in regards to Age of Sigmar is how much they have been in damage control & stability mode since the game launched.  I'm sure that we all think the game is in a fairly healthy place from a 10,000 foot view, but it was not always and it took a lot of effort on their part to get there.  Warhammer Fantasy was doing very poorly (mostly due to GWs own poor decisions) and Age of Sigmar did not fare well out of the gates with the broader audience due to a variety of factors.  From my point of view it really looks like they most of what they have done so far has been primarily to right the ship and turn the game into a better seller.  That includes the armies that they chose to release.  They have been working extra hard on pumping out visually impressive armies unique to theirt world rather than a lot of rehashing older stuff.  They did toss out some books early on that required little work for new models (beastclaw raiders, bonesplitterz, Flesh Eater Courts, etc), but for the most part the stuff they have released has been meant to wow people (Kharadron Overlords, Idoneth Deepkin, FireSlayers, etc).  I think that the overall competitive balance between grand alliances has been lower on their priority list.

When you take all of that into consideration, and you look at the current state of the game, then I think what we will start to see soon is GW begin fleshing out the edges of the game - and that means turning back to Death & Destruction forces.  If you think about these factions, they all need some model releases and that means that they were hard to get to with their production capacity issues.  We already know that Nighthaunt is on the way for a full massive release.  There are pretty solid rumors saying that Moonclan is coming soon as a full release.  I think that these will be sort of the tip of the spear.  Rumors indicate that there is another wave of Ironjawz coming - and I am willing to bet money that it comes with a full battletome rewrite.

Greenskinz to me fall into the bucket of factions that will see a book but it won't happen until GW gets more stuff out of the way and start exploring the far edges of the game.  So things like Dispossessed, Free People, Slaves to Darkness, etc.  These are the more generic factions and it seems to me that GW is working on the flashier stuff first.

They’re quite importent narratively for Ironjawz and Bonesplitterz seeing as though Ardboys are tough big Greenskinz rather than Ironjawz and Bonesliptterz are Waaagh crazed Greenskinz. They’ve been rather written in. Given the change in the anatomy of newer Orruk models the Greenskin model really need an upgrade 

4 minutes ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

They’re quite importent narratively for Ironjawz and Bonesplitterz seeing as though Ardboys are tough big Greenskinz rather than Ironjawz and Bonesliptterz are Waaagh crazed Greenskinz. They’ve been rather written in. Given the change in the anatomy of newer Orruk models the Greenskin model really need an upgrade 

I hope the rumours are true that 40k Orks are getting new models and hopefully new Ork Boyz models to boot so you can proxy them. 

Or better yet and make them duel kited for both AoS and 40k and have spure upgrades to make them into Ork/ Orruk unit.

But it just wishful thinking on my part.

10 minutes ago, novakai said:

I hope the rumours are true that 40k Orks are getting new models and hopefully new Ork Boyz models to boot so you can proxy them. 

Or better yet and make them duel kited for both AoS and 40k and have spure upgrades to make them into Ork/ Orruk unit.

We can but dream 

28 minutes ago, novakai said:

I think Greenskins should at least reach the same look as Orruk Boarboys and we need Orruks with Bows again. The Chariot is a joke.

None of the greenskinz range is that bad aside from the old boar models in the chariot and plastic Warboss kits.  The chariot boar models are amongst some of the oldest plastic models that GW still makes.  Most of the models have aged well given how old they are.

The plastic orc boyz models are old, but those Brian Nelson orc sculpts have aged remarkably well.  The 40k ork boyz unit is still mainly that same kit they they have added some bitz to over the years.  I don’t see them replacing the 40k one any time soon.  Whether or not they replace the Age of Sigmar boyz kit will depend on what direction they decide to take the greenskinz in whenever they get around to reworking them.

I am pretty sure that the 40k orks will get a model release with the codex, but I don’t think it will involve reworking too many of the existing plastics.  My feeling is that GW will probably add a couple new units and then remove the resin models from the range and add models for units that never really got a full kit.  So that probably means plastic Kommandos & Tankbustas (good odds these are a combined kit), a new plastic mega armor warboss kit (possibly combined with Ghazgkull), a full plastic deffkopta kit (might be another dual kit), maybe a new kit or two, and then they may finally replace the ancient plastic buggy and wartrakks or they may simply retire that unit from the game completely.

As for greenskinz I expect that they will keep the boar boyz kit and the rest is possibly up for replacement.  They may keep the plastic boyz kit and simply update it like they have done for 40k or they may replace it.  Aside from that I expect the whole range will be replaced.  And that is one of the main reasons that I don’t think we will see a greenskinz release or battletome anytime soon.  The faction is rather generic by design and most of the range needs to be replaced.

8 hours ago, Skabnoze said:

There are pretty solid rumors saying that Moonclan is coming soon as a full release.  I think that these will be sort of the tip of the spear.  Rumors indicate that there is another wave of Ironjawz coming - and I am willing to bet money that it comes with a full battletome rewrite.

I'm hoping that this isn't just some random mushroom dreams of a mad grot. 

I'm desperately wishing for it all to be announced at the open day on June 30th. It would explain so much about the lack of destruction....anything leading up to AoS2

Well, it is unlikely that they neglect an entire grand alliance forever.  They will eventually do something for Destruction.  I don’t definitively know what or when, but I am pretty certain it will happen eventually.  

Now, that does not mean Destruction will or will not be competitive when they get around to making releases.  I would never bank on a faction being competitive unless you know they certain influential developers are invested enough in a faction to be an internal advocate for it.  GW in the past had been highly prone to playing favorites.

Also, I would not rate much of what I say higher than random mushroom dreams of a mad grot.  I don’t have any insider information.  I take note of the various rumors on a few sites but I can’t say any of them are true.  I also have a bit of historical perspective and that can give you an idea of how things may go in the future but it is never certain.

Archived