Advice/help for Nighthaunt Paintscheme.

Hey all, 

I was hoping to get some guidance on how to achieve the below? Of course it uses the new Hexwraith Technical paint. But there are different gradients of green on the ‘cloaks’ and some white highlights etc. Many thanks in advance and apologies if I wasn’t clear. 

2C8FC4CB-9D07-4FD4-9D1F-04310870C4E9.png

E0A9EFF5-9AFC-459D-99B4-D35DD815576E.png

My guess is that both of the new technical paints have been used and likely thinned a bit with Lahmian Medium to make them flow and apply a little more thinly.

The gradient between the two is likely done by wet blending the two - so apply the lighter paint on the bottom parts of the cloth & model and then whilst still wet, apply the darker one, making sure you "mix" the two paints along the join line (try to pull the brush in the same direction)

Another way would be to use the green technical paint (thinned with lahmian) all over the model, let that dry then apply the blue one (again thinned a bit) but being more selective and pulling the paint where you want it (the shadows and recesses).

The top one looks like it's had some Ulthuan Grey edge highlights applied too.

13 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

My guess is that both of the new technical paints have been used and likely thinned a bit with Lahmian Medium to make them flow and apply a little more thinly.

The gradient between the two is likely done by wet blending the two - so apply the lighter paint on the bottom parts of the cloth & model and then whilst still wet, apply the darker one, making sure you "mix" the two paints along the join line (try to pull the brush in the same direction)

Another way would be to use the green technical paint (thinned with lahmian) all over the model, let that dry then apply the blue one (again thinned a bit) but being more selective and pulling the paint where you want it (the shadows and recesses).

The top one looks like it's had some Ulthuan Grey edge highlights applied too.

Thanks for taking the time to give such a detailed response. Certainly wouldn't have been able to figure it out myself.

Wet-blending is something I wouldn't have thought of and really appreciate you breaking it down for me.

The cloaks appear to be normal paint, maybe kabalite green, then sybarite green, a coelia (bluish) green shade will not hurt, you can dry brush or edge highlight as usual. If you want to avoid to much highlight, spray the model white, spray some gloss varnish and add some flowing agent in the paint&shade, the paint should stay more in the recess...

(personnaly I will look for more contrast between the cloak and the ethereal effect, but "les gouts et les couleurs ne se discutent pas :)"

22 minutes ago, christophe said:

The cloaks appear to be normal paint, maybe kabalite green, then sybarite green, a coelia (bluish) green shade will not hurt, you can dry brush or edge highlight as usual. If you want to avoid to much highlight, spray the model white, spray some gloss varnish and add some flowing agent in the paint&shade, the paint should stay more in the recess...

(personnaly I will look for more contrast between the cloak and the ethereal effect, but "les gouts et les couleurs ne se discutent pas :)"

Thanks so much - so use a 'normal paint' for the cloak to differentiate?

yes normal paints for the cloak, technical for the transparent effect. And if you like this camaieu effect (different hue of green) go for it, I will personnaly go for very very dark red cloak, GW mostly goes for a black cloacks with dark turquoise highlight.

if you are not confident with the painting, I will advise you watch some of the thousands of tutorials on youtube. Especially Warhammer TV who will add in few days/weeks several videos on how to paint the new NH army and how to use the new technical paint. It should be helpful

27 minutes ago, christophe said:

if you are not confident with the painting, I will advise you watch some of the thousands of tutorials on youtube. Especially Warhammer TV who will add in few days/weeks several videos on how to paint the new NH army and how to use the new technical paint. It should be helpful

Thanks for the advice! I'll have a look but I should be ok, just going to be a big change; Witch Aelves to NH.

I can’t stress enough how much lahmian medium has improved my painting experience. You gain more control, paint mixes better with it in the mix, paint behaves better, and a hundred more small things that add up in quality and fun. 

For me it was the biggest leap forward. Do yourself a favour and try it out. Best 6 bucks you’ll invest in this hobby. (In my opinion of course)

17 minutes ago, Kramer said:

I can’t stress enough how much lahmian medium has improved my painting experience. You gain more control, paint mixes better with it in the mix, paint behaves better, and a hundred more small things that add up in quality and fun. 

For me it was the biggest leap forward. Do yourself a favour and try it out. Best 6 bucks you’ll invest in this hobby. (In my opinion of course)

you could try other medium as well, some pro painter don't like lamian, for the price (you can find 5 time cheaper) but also for the slightly glossy finish result. Some love it for the slightly gelatinous effect it offer. Lot's of pages on the subject if you google it

36 minutes ago, christophe said:

you could try other medium as well, some pro painter don't like lamian, for the price (you can find 5 time cheaper) but also for the slightly glossy finish result. Some love it for the slightly gelatinous effect it offer. Lot's of pages on the subject if you google it

I think that the biggest criticism with Lahmian is the size is small and price is pretty high.  The thing is that despite that, it's 100% reliable, it contains a matting agent so you know that if you've a paint that goes shiny adding Lahmian to it will matt it down.  But if you want to go down the artist route, Windsor & Newton and Daler Rowney both do acrylic mediums for example.

As a random aside, Air Caste Thinner is Lahmian without the matting agent - so does the same but with a gloss finish.

17 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

I think that the biggest criticism with Lahmian is the size is small and price is pretty high.  The thing is that despite that, it's 100% reliable, it contains a matting agent so you know that if you've a paint that goes shiny adding Lahmian to it will matt it down.  But if you want to go down the artist route, Windsor & Newton and Daler Rowney both do acrylic mediums for example.

As a random aside, Air Caste Thinner is Lahmian without the matting agent - so does the same but with a gloss finish.

I do have medium, however I mainly use it for diluting my wash for my Dark Aelves - I probably haven't unlocked it's full potential yet.

I probably need to just use it more and keep practicing.

On 6/14/2018 at 12:57 PM, ClockworkGeo91 said:

I do have medium, however I mainly use it for diluting my wash for my Dark Aelves - I probably haven't unlocked it's full potential yet.

I probably need to just use it more and keep practicing.

About 1 part paint vs  about 9 parts lahmian gives a decent wash. You can also mix lahmian with paint to create glazes, about 1 part paint vs 3 parts lahmian, sometimes more, depending how subtle/how many layers you want your glaze to be. 

Archived