"Outside the box" factions

Actually, somebody else in another thread mentioned 'Ancestral Duardin', and I thought that this had a lot of promise.

Imagine this:  The Age of Chaos is coming, and everything's going south.  Some duardin cities are taking to the skies, others are heading into Azyr, still others seemingly all become Unforged.  But there's some cities left, holding up deep deep underground.  Chaos can't get to them, but they can't get out to get things they need to survive.  Desperate, they do something they would normally never do, just to preserve the old ways; they put their souls in stone statues.

Once the Age of Chaos finally ends with the arrival of the Stormcast, these ancient Dwarven Cities are excavated, and they are grumpy and as old as heck.  The Duardin Ancestors are living stone statues.  Well, quasi-living, at any rate.  I did have this concept that it was a Duardin Death Faction; Souls entombed inside Stone Statues could be the Dwarvish concept of Undead.  They could either work for Nagash, in some strange, tenuous way, or if they weren't a Death Faction, they could be another thorn in his side.

I also had an idea for the Duardin Descendents, living duardin who loyally follow the Ancestral Duardin and maintain their stoneworks as well as provide some fleeter soldiers.

In a nutshell:  Duardin Tomb Kings.

Archived