Free Guild or Wanderers?

Thalassic Monstrosity

Hi everyone, so I'm going to be taking the Sancrosact set from Soul Wars (a friend is taking the Nighthaunt).  I want these Stormcasts to eventually wind up playing second banana fiddle to a new Order army.  Problem is that I haven't decided between Free Guild or Wanderers yet!

For myself, I'm a big fan of shooting and I tend to prefer defensive armies.  As I've said elsewhere I hate the crossbowman/handgunner models so I would probably rely on archers for Freeguild.  Other than that I don't have much in the way of either Freeguys or Wanderelves - I basically have the Marius Lietdorf model and that's it.

So, if I might ask, sell me on a faction!

Wanderers are a much more hit and run themed army. I play wanderers so you really have to make tactical decisions on where you going to move and which objectives you're going to try and hold. With the hidden paths ability it allows you to warp around the battlefield picking off the units at the sides and backs of the enemy. You can not stand and hold things so well.

I think the Free guild is more a gunline type army, each units works off each other and you have to move as a mass to try and combine together to take down enemies. I think it's an interesting army but I think in the future I might try it out.

On 6/12/2018 at 5:09 AM, Thalassic Monstrosity said:

Hi everyone, so I'm going to be taking the Sancrosact set from Soul Wars (a friend is taking the Nighthaunt).  I want these Stormcasts to eventually wind up playing second banana fiddle to a new Order army.  Problem is that I haven't decided between Free Guild or Wanderers yet!

For myself, I'm a big fan of shooting and I tend to prefer defensive armies.  As I've said elsewhere I hate the crossbowman/handgunner models so I would probably rely on archers for Freeguild.  Other than that I don't have much in the way of either Freeguys or Wanderelves - I basically have the Marius Lietdorf model and that's it.

So, if I might ask, sell me on a faction!

Why not both? I think it's the most overlooked quality of Age of Sigmar. Here's what I would do:

Get a retributor gold spray can. Get the sancrosact models painted up quick and expand that with wanderers/free guild to a thousand points. Now get that chosen faction up to 800 so your stormcast are your allies. Now get 200 points of the other faction. That is relatively easily done, 1K games are amazing fun already and you can actually already play. Build the 200 pts faction up to 800 points and now you have a second army you can play and it allows you to play both allegiance abilities of Wanderers (great tactical army with movement shenanigans) and Freeguild (an army that excels when supporting itself and functions as a whole). And then you add on until you get the army with your favourite playstyle up to 1600, with 400 points of allies from the other faction and vice versa. I would start with getting the faction up to 800 that you will paint the fastest. Doesn't matter if it's because of model count or just sheer excitement but from that point you actually can play and will know better what you are choosing.

From a personal experience. That's what I did with Daughters of Khaine. I had a sizeable army of Darkling Covens but no witch elves. Daughters of Khaine was announced. I added about 300 points of witches to play 1,5K games. expended that group until I got to 800pts with 200pts of Darkling Covens allies. Which allows me to play the stuff i'm painting, getting a feel for what i'm missing and it keeps me excited for the project. 

At least this works the best for me :D Hope this helps.

And about the Wanderes vs. Free Guild. I'm guessing there will be a human order faction in the future somewhere so that might exclude whatever you paint now or be a fantastic expansion to it. There's no way to know. I don't expect them to redo wanderers though. So what you see there is most likely what it will be. Maybe a Daughters of Khaine redo if you're lucky. So I think I would start with the Wanderers, the playstyle is exiting, the models are still super cool and fit AoS (magical flaming bows anyone?) and based on the current points it looks easier to get them up to 800pts so you can start playing with the allegiance abilities. 

Like @Kramer I would say, why not both. If you only want Freeguild models that weapons are also used by Wanderers you could even make some sorts of Humans in Ghyran. That was the first plan of my Faithful of Eloni.

Okay, they never saw the battlefield but first they were planned as Humans later switched to Wanderers (mostly because of the Sisters of the Watch, but in the end my so called "Maidenguard" got big enough that I wouldn't have to do this.

12 minutes ago, Thalassic Monstrosity said:

So unless I'm misreading the new rules allies aren't tied to points costs but rather one of four units can be allies, period. This'll make mixing these factions a lot easier!

Bearing in mind that this is in the core rules and may change in the Matched Play rules.

5 minutes ago, Thalassic Monstrosity said:

Very true! General's Handbook comes out around the same time, right?

As far as I'm aware, yes - I certainly hope so!  There's a small local 1500 point tournament in my games store on July 7, so I need as much time as possible to inwardly digest. 

On 6/14/2018 at 11:09 PM, Thalassic Monstrosity said:

Very true! General's Handbook comes out around the same time, right?

Yes and pre-orderable today (making up words on the spot ;) ) A reviewer already revealed that matched play does limit allies based on a points in matched play. ?

Freeguild is naturally the better defensive shooting army of the 2. I have 3.5k of Freeguild and they are my first AoS love. The alliegance abilities made them better. Apparently their support range is getting buffed too.

If you do not like the handgunners or xbows, its harder but still doable.

Archers are much more mobile and hit harder than you think. You can also rely more on allied magic, melee, and monster heroes for your rend. 

I prefer full freeguild with 2 great companies, supported by magic and a griffon lord at 2k.  My army is about 30 percent shooting in the old addition and it will stay the same here. 

8 minutes ago, brimmstorm said:

If you like the Stormcast models and like a defensive and shooty army why not just play pure Stormcast? They do both of those pretty well. 

Truthfully I'm not a fan of Stormcast themselves - I like most of the Sancrosact models but I'd rather have the faction as allies.

Plus I'm a faction hipster. It's a problem I've had ever since I started wargaming.  Treatment has had... mixed results.

I will admit that freeguild is probably the stronger army of the two, but Wanderers are so much cooler! :) 

However, just because Freeguild might make a stronger army, I will argue that Wanderers make better allies to Stormcast. It's all for one reason - Sisters of the Thorn. With the nerf to Mystic Shield the Sisters' unique Shield of Thorns spell is one of the best in the game imho. While your opponents are throwing reroll 1s to save on things you'll be rerolling all saves for the same casting value and causing mortal wounds in the combat phase. And Stormcast have easy access to +1 to saves from Staunch Defender (and prayers?) so the mortal wounds portion of the spell synergizes really well with the faction. 

If you want another faction to be allies for your Sacrosanct chamber, I would go Wanderers. If you want to ally your Sacrosanct chamber models to the stronger main allegiance, I would go Freeguild. Freeguild would also benefit from the addition of the Stormcast wizards more than a Wanderer allegiance army would.

Ultimately, the answer is to always go with whichever models you like most! Wanderers and Freeguild have quite different aesthetics and will each accent your army in different ways. Do you want stags and cloaks or gryphons and feathered hats? The 'why not both' is also a good point as well, you can mix and match.

If you are not gonna play Handgunners/Crossbowmen, then Freeguild loses a LOT of luster. That is a LOT of the pure Freeguild ranged power. Archers just don't have the same buffs. NOW, if you get creative, you CAN convert them pretty well, just find some rifles and humans that do work for you. Maybe some fur pelts and Catachan Imperial Guard from 40k and have Freeguild from Ghur. lol

Archived