Grand Tournament Heat 3 Results

Enoby

10 hours ago, Saiken said:

TIL, people do bring Beastmen to tournaments !

And it was great fun, only moving the huge number of models was a little bit annoying. But I got a be(a)st army nomination for them as well :D

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, MrZakalwe said:

I hope so too but unfortunately what it looks like they are going to do is remove it from the game- shove it into the pointsless unbalanced wasteland that will be Warhammer Legends then act as if they've done it's owners a favour. 

Thanks- The High Elf Seawarden has a pretty badass command ability but I'm not sure it's worth it for a single boltthrower and (common misconception) it's flag doesn't work with boltthrowers- brings me joy with 30 archers using rain of arrows, though. 

I imagine he used the Lord Ordinator command ability. I can't wait to build a Stormcast army with my boy using Ballistas and the Lord Ordinator. I'll get my Reaper Bolt Thrower fix one way or another....

3 hours ago, Enoby said:

The top Ironjawz list:

I find it hard to associate the word "top" with any of the Destruction armies unfortunately. It truly makes for dismal reading to not see a single one in the Top 50 :( .

Also, whilst I'm happy for Bryan to get such a great placing (3rd), I really hope they get rid of Skinks as Generic Order battleline. Totally gamebreaking IMO that these allow you to cherry pick the best units from the alliance and spam them. You actually get punished/limited for trying to build a themed allegiance army (Phoenix Temple in this instance).

This reminds me of Stonehorns actually. Mixed Destruction ruined them for Beastclaw Raiders as they ended up getting a massive double nerf due to multiples being taken (without penalty) in these lists. The same will likely happen to Frostheart Phoenixes as multiples of them appear in all mixed Order lists.

That said, I do agree they need a points increase and a separate scroll for ridden/unridden Phoenixes.

Keep in mind that in less than 3 weeks, every single list above will be obsolete.

More of this, I don't rely on this list to know which is good or not because the number of entries for each faction is far from representative. 

I think that in AoS 2.0, we'll see  more and more diversity and that is super good.

10 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

Keep in mind that in less than 3 weeks, every single list above will be obsolete.

More of this, I don't rely on this list to know which is good or not because the number of entries for each faction is far from representative. 

I think that in AoS 2.0, we'll see  more and more diversity and that is super good.

I'd be interested to hear why there would be more diversity in next edition. I agree for the two first parts, but don't think that the rules and points tweak will change the "competitive scene" so much, except by of course shuffling the good armies around. Most likely year from now there are the new "changehosts" and "mixed orders" and people will be optimistic that the GHB 2019 will bring more variety, just like year ago . :) Don't also see that it's such a problem as it's sort of built in feature in the game.

43 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

I find it hard to associate the word "top" with any of the Destruction armies unfortunately. It truly makes for dismal reading to not see a single one in the Top 50 :( .

Also, whilst I'm happy for Bryan to get such a great placing (3rd), I really hope they get rid of Skinks as Generic Order battleline. Totally gamebreaking IMO that these allow you to cherry pick the best units from the alliance and spam them. You actually get punished/limited for trying to build a themed allegiance army (Phoenix Temple in this instance).

This reminds me of Stonehorns actually. Mixed Destruction ruined them for Beastclaw Raiders as they ended up getting a massive double nerf due to multiples being taken (without penalty) in these lists. The same will likely happen to Frostheart Phoenixes as multiples of them appear in all mixed Order lists.

That said, I do agree they need a points increase and a separate scroll for ridden/unridden Phoenixes.

A way to mitigate this could be to provide more support to the smaller factions. There's so little incentive to take allegiance for the odd battleline choice (eg: drakespawn for Order Serpentis) when you can just pay a battleline tax and still get access to the same abilities. 

11 minutes ago, syph0n said:

A way to mitigate this could be to provide more support to the smaller factions. There's so little incentive to take allegiance for the odd battleline choice (eg: drakespawn for Order Serpentis) when you can just pay a battleline tax and still get access to the same abilities. 

It's hard to do it properly other than pricing the units differently in allegiance or without it, as if the Grand alliances are wanted to be kept in the game (which they should as they are cool), there needs to be some general battleline units, and as they are the bare bone troopers, there'll always be some cheap unit to fill out the "tax slots". 

With differentiated pricing you could make the drakespawn knights or the phoenix guard, or the battleline units cheaper with the allegiance and thus promote them, without breaking the grand alliance. It just is quite a task to do it properly and I don't believe there is very much interest to playtest something like the Phoenix temple at GW to get the points right.

23 minutes ago, Jamopower said:

I'd be interested to hear why there would be more diversity in next edition. I agree for the two first parts, but don't think that the rules and points tweak will change the "competitive scene" so much, except by of course shuffling the good armies around. Most likely year from now there are the new "changehosts" and "mixed orders" and people will be optimistic that the GHB 2019 will bring more variety, just like year ago . :) Don't also see that it's such a problem as it's sort of built in feature in the game.

I was thinking about this the other night.  I think there will be a bit more diversity for a bit as people will be trying out numerous different lists to see what works and what doesn't, we're all old enough to this game now to know what looks good on paper doesn't necessarily work on the table and visa-versa.

I would imagine (and we'll find out over the next few months) that the changes will have gone some way to lower the current "top-end" list combinations whilst boosting the "bottom-end" list combinations - hopefully bringing armies a bit closer together for a bit.  So changes to allegiance abilities, additional artefacts, spells, points etc will all contribute to this.

It'll likely take a few months for everything to settle and then we might start seeing two or three solid net-lists appear.  Then again we might not.

28 minutes ago, Jamopower said:

I'd be interested to hear why there would be more diversity in next edition.

- several additions to the game even for non frequent factions: summoning, magic, endless spells, heros (artifacts etc...) , CP etc...

- Several faction that are not listed here are boosted point wise AND with the above, maybe we'll see back the so called "weak armies" 

- we have many factions, and more of this, several new factions, not yet super presents in tourneys

and we can go on...

3 hours ago, Groje said:

And it was great fun, only moving the huge number of models was a little bit annoying. But I got a be(a)st army nomination for them as well :D

Can you share your list? ?

always interested in Brayherds

Yes, of course in the beginning there will be lots of different stuff tried, but I'm pretty sure that one year from now there won't be any more diversity than now, the lists will be just different. But time will tell. I'm basing this mostly on the last year when the 40k came and the game was shaken up quite a bit, still two months from the release pretty much everyone played the same few lists in the ETC. The internet is a powerful optimizing tool :)

Edit. As a side note, I don't think there is such a massive gap in most armies performance that there wouldn't be variety already. The "netlists" aren't much better than the general field, but even a little better is enough to make them popular and I don't believe that will change as long as miniature games are played in tournaments. 

8 minutes ago, Jamopower said:

It's hard to do it properly other than pricing the units differently in allegiance or without it, as if the Grand alliances are wanted to be kept in the game (which they should as they are cool), there needs to be some general battleline units, and as they are the bare bone troopers, there'll always be some cheap unit to fill out the "tax slots". 

With differentiated pricing you could make the drakespawn knights or the phoenix guard, or the battleline units cheaper with the allegiance and thus promote them, without breaking the grand alliance. It just is quite a task to do it properly and I don't believe there is very much interest to playtest something like the Phoenix temple at GW to get the points right.

That's exactly what  I mean, you just articulated it better! There's no way to give allegiance abilities and artefacts to all the factions but by taking a specific allegiance that might be perfect. Of course, Order Serpentis for example are seeing reduced points in AoS2 anyway so that might work out nicely. Reduced allegiance specific battlelines, but not core choices. Same with Black Guard and Executioners etc. 

15 minutes ago, Johann said:

Can you share your list? ?

always interested in Brayherds

Here we go, the idea was to grap 1st turn, throw Ungor raiders with double movement 3 inch to the enemy line and grap all objectives. Then die slowly enough to win by victory points. Finished with 2 majors (battle for the pass and scorched earth), got tabled 4 Times and only had 840 Killpoints in 5 games in total. But it was a hell lot of fun. Especially the beastlord trying to kill Alariel and Co. with his herdstone axe ?

The%20Gortide.pdf

5 hours ago, Tizianolol said:

Any1 know seraphon lists top 10?:)

5th place was Rob Symes of former whtv fame. He ran off top of me head

slann, snake bastilodon, star seer, engine of the gods, razordons, kroxigors, skinks, skink handlers

On 6/13/2018 at 3:42 PM, Nizrah said:

Does any1 know lists of clan skyre from 7th and best SCE?

The SCE list was mine:

• Drakesworn Templar, stormlance, drakescale armour, (General - staunch defender)
  • Lord Castellant
  • Lord Relictor, Lightning Chariot
  • Knight Venator
  • 3 Units of 5 liberators with hammer + sheild + grandhammer.
  • 3 Vanguard raptors with longstrike crossbows
  • 4 Fuliminators
  • 2 Tempestors

Comes in at 1980pts,

I was beaten by that 7th place skyre list game 4, its VERY hard counter to my list - off the top of my head its:

Clan skyre battalion, arch warlock, warlock, 20 (I think) acolytes - tunnel battalion (can't remember the name of it) - warlock, warp grinder, 2 warpfire throwers,  2x 3 stormfiends with warpfire gauntlets. 

It was on the Warhammer TV twitch livestream for game 1 vs daughters of khaine, so can get a good look at it there if you sub - worth a glance just for the really nice conversions https://www.twitch.tv/videos/271163021

All that warpfire does not make for happy dragons :)

13 minutes ago, LordNebBB said:

The SCE list was mine:

• Drakesworn Templar, stormlance, drakescale armour, (General - staunch defender)
  • Lord Castellant
  • Lord Relictor, Lightning Chariot
  • Knight Venator
  • 3 Units of 5 liberators with hammer + sheild + grandhammer.
  • 3 Vanguard raptors with longstrike crossbows
  • 4 Fuliminators
  • 2 Tempestors

Comes in at 1980pts,

I was beaten by that 7th place skyre list game 4, its VERY hard counter to my list - off the top of my head its:

Clan skyre battalion, arch warlock, warlock, 20 (I think) acolytes - tunnel battalion (can't remember the name of it) - warlock, warp grinder, 2 warpfire throwers,  2x 3 stormfiends with warpfire gauntlets. 

It was on the Warhammer TV twitch livestream for game 1 vs daughters of khaine, so can get a good look at it there if you sub - worth a glance just for the really nice conversions https://www.twitch.tv/videos/271163021

All that warpfire does not make for happy dragons :)

During game 1 vs daughters of khaine, someone posts the skryre and dok list, and the skryre player has three artifacts. Is that a mistake on the part of the poster, or did he actually have three artifacts? He should only receive one extra from the enginecoven battalion unless we've all been playing it wrong for a whole year :D

Just in case you remember if he had three artifacts versus you as well ;) Regardless, good job! 

While I understand that AoS 2.0 will shake some things up. IMO all that will really happen is the top lists getting reworked and put back together again. 

I really wanted to start an ironjawz army but from everything I've read, destruction will still be bottom of the food chain. 

1 hour ago, Tip4Tap said:

While I understand that AoS 2.0 will shake some things up. IMO all that will really happen is the top lists getting reworked and put back together again. 

I really wanted to start an ironjawz army but from everything I've read, destruction will still be bottom of the food chain. 

Jeah I often have the feeling that in their videos and posts about Destruction GW always tries to sell the changes what they made as improvements for Destruction, but in the end they did no real changes to Destruction. It is just that Destruction can now use the things that everyone else can use and combine their abilities in new ways.

I think compared to other changes the Destruction changes are in the end a bit "meh". ? It would have been cool if there would have been made some real adjustments. 

I mean it is really cool that Destruction gets to use all those cool new features an abilities. I will buy all the endless spells. ? 

But I also have the feeling that there was a lot of feedback in forums, on facebook and in other areas on what could be improved for Destruction without making them overpowered and none of it was considered in the new edition. ? 

Maybe next edition? Maybe we might get a new battletome soon? Who knows? 

Archived