Magic Question in Skirmish

boomr19

Hi all,

I'm getting ready to run a small skirmish mini campaign that I'm writing with some family and friends, and I've put together 4 warbands (one for each grand alliance), and I want each warband to have a wizard as their leader for the purposes of the campaign.  

My question is how you would all house-rule some of the spells that target every enemy unit within a certain range? (Since all models are considered their own unit)  For example for the fungoid cave shaman hits all enemy units for d3 mortals within a certain range.  Do you all think that this needs to be house-ruled?  Or does the range limitation make it work anyways?  Or for example, the Knight Azyros Lantern effect, which is once per game, but hits all with in 8"?  My feeling is that this would be too strong for skirmish games/ 

My original idea is that for a once a game effect, choose up to 3 models within range, and for spells that can do damage every turn within range, only choose one model?  What do you all think?

Try it for the first game or two. It would certainly teach people not to crowd several 'units' together, it would make for some entertaining risks. You can always house rule it out after a couple of games if it is proving too powerful or if someone is taking the brunt of the attacks.

The only real problem I can see with it is if everyone bar one player has access to them perhaps.

Once per game would be fine and yeah, defiantly half the ranges if you are playing on a 4x4 table.

The fungoid shaman spell is D6'', halved to D3'', that doesn't seem too awful. I'd probably included friendly fire as to make it risky for everyone, for if people have piled in for close combat against shaman.

Yeah, grouping is pretty important in skirmish. If you want to win fights, having multiple units together in a combat is key. So this deters this which I don't hate...

Given that skirimish often has more scatter terrain another fix could be to require line of sight? 

Hmm good ideas so far, yeah the real way is to do some test games.  My brother is thinking instead of a wizard he wants a Knight azyros since they are one of the cheaper SCE, but it has a once a game 8” d3 mortals ability for all enemy units (d6 for chaos) which in theory sounds crazy for skirmish. Of course there is risk in having to get close enough but he has to only last one round before nuking an enemy warband.

I like the line of sight idea, which makes sense for a lot of abilities and spells thematically.  Also Range reductions sound interesting . 

tough to find balance while staying true to the spirit of the rule...

What if I suggested something more drastic...once per game, full range, shining light blinds the foes, debuffing the units within range for -1 to hit.  It's no longer  damage dealing spell but has AoE and can effect the battle dramatically 

-Eric

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/11/2018 at 9:17 PM, StoneMonk said:

There aren't a ton of 'all units within' spells so limiting them does make sense at first glance. I like the idea of once per game. You could also halve the range? I'll think on this some more.

@boomr19 Haha, I bought the knight incantor as a baddy in a upcoming skirmish campaign. And only then read his profile ? Every unit in 18" suffers 1 wound. So we might be going 1 within 18" the first encounter and d3 the second. 

On 8/1/2018 at 4:06 AM, stoertebeckers-bester said:

I am reading the skirmish rules right now, and wonder about the pink horror being a wizard.

How is that working with every model is it's own unit?

Does every Pink horror may attempt to cast a spell?

Yes, but given there are only two spells to cast, only two of them will get to cast per turn.

Lots of dispelling though. Also, makes Tzaangor banner into a death ray,

Archived