Realm Themed Lists (AoS2 in Mind)

syph0n

Hi all. Thought this would be lost amongst the mixed order list thread, but really I'm keen to see how people are building lists and how they are theming them in Order. 

I've got a 2k Order Serpentis list built and working through and a 1k Daughters of Khaine Melusai based-list in the works. However, my mind is always ticking, hobby-wise, for new ideas. Particularly if I can mix up models I already own or can't use because of the faction splits that happened in my time away from the hobby. 

My idea centres around Ulgu, where my Serpentis and Daughters lists are based. It's cold, misty, shadowy and dark.

I've got about 15 or 20 dark riders that I would love to use, and 5 assassin models. Shadowblades are a pretty rubbish faction, but as a mixed order list with an Ulgu theme, I'm thinking (RULE OF COOL OVER ALL APPLIES):

• Frostheart Phoenix - convert a dark rider to be the rider of it
  • Tenebrael Shard
  • Mistweaver Saih
  • Assassins x3 
  • Dryads [10] x3
  • Dark Riders [5] x3
  • Khinerai [5] x2

... Then the list gets a bit stuck. The Battleline options are giving me the biggest headache, and thematically I think need to suit.  A nasty little forest seems very applicable to Ulgu - it would be cold, misty, then out of nowhere it starts attacking as trees turn to dryads, assassins pop out and riders and birds/Khinerai flock from the trees to assault. 

Could add some Aetherwings, I've got Hydras, Doomfire Warlocks, Shades (not usable as Shades, but can be used in other ways)... Keen to keep it 'Aelven'. 

Any ideas? What Realm themes do you run? 

EDIT: Also thinking of AoS2 in mind here. Using realm spells or artefacts and so on, command abilities of heroes, summoning rules etc. 

My Highborn have been loosely desert/Aqshy themed since I started painting as I quite like the hooded look so I'm going to be running the list with the Aqshy realm regardless of crunch. 

They have more Greek elements in them than that though so I guess the theme is a bit of a mess :)

I actually have multiple Themes:

My Faithful of Eloni (Alarielle Worshippers, mostly Wanderers, Ranger Style, some Maidenbades Models) / at first planned as a human Army and still having some human parts

And multple small armies that are based on Frostaelfs, Fyre Aelfs, Light Aelfs and Shadow Aelfs (partly not really defined yet, and not everything is playable in matched play).

Thanks so far. It seems the Sylvaneth are a popular choice in this themed list.

I've been expanding my ideas, along the lines of a Treelord (not Ancient, don't have the hero slots, but could be persuaded) and a Branchwraith... That would also mean a couple of Wyldwoods (40pts each). Good for using as scenery too in none Sylvaneth games. 

Branchwraith could be really useful for summoning around the Wyldwoods and think I can fit 3 in a potential list. 

I'd go glade guard as battleline and give them grey cloaks. Hit and run fit with shooting  to soften up the enemy and with shadows. I'm not saying they are better than dryads but I don't think dryads fit the theme very well. (yes I understand how you've written it as ambushing trees.. but I'm just not convinced.) You can always proxy the darkriders as reavers. 

Thanks for the input. In the meantime, my thoughts have turned to the idea of using the Treelord Ancient. My imagination is seeing a twisted, shadowy forest that has become home to the dark riders and assassins as almost bandits or out riders. There to protect their part of Ulgu from Chaos. 

It would mean losing the Phoenix, but it would allow something like a Kharibdyss, adjusted in someway as though it's crawled or dragged out of a frozen swamp. I don't know if it will play this way, but the Dark Riders and Kharibdyss might combine well in affecting bravery. Mixed in with a hardy Treelord Ancient, 3 lots of woods and dryads who can take assassins through the woods with them, I just envisaged quite a cool army that trap and ambush and cause fear in their invaders. That's also where a Mistweaver comes in. Tenebrael too, but purely because it's the only way to use him in an Order list. 

1 hour ago, MrZakalwe said:

Throw in some spite revenants and you've got some serious bravery debuffs going on there. Might be workable.

Of course anybody you face would see it coming and save their command point to negate it, i think. 

Still, I think that's a really good idea. It's thematic too. 

What other bravery shenanigans could I try and include? Mindrazor sprang to mind (haha) but I don't believe including a Medusa in a Mixed Order list allows use of Lore of Shadows. I wonder what else is available in AoS2. 

1 hour ago, syph0n said:

What other bravery shenanigans could I try and include? Mindrazor sprang to mind (haha) but I don't believe including a Medusa in a Mixed Order list allows use of Lore of Shadows. I wonder what else is available in AoS2. 

The Lore of Shadows (as printed in Daughters of Khaine) is linked to the Daughters of Khaine Allegiance Abilities at the moment, so that isn't possible.

12 minutes ago, EMMachine said:

The Lore of Shadows (as printed in Daughters of Khaine) is linked to the Daughters of Khaine Allegiance Abilities at the moment, so that isn't possible.

Yeah that's what I mean. I'm interested other potential Order abilities within units. 

My Freeguild/Empire Mixed Order are themed in the Realm of Heavens because I love the Hurricanum and it is the center of that army. But given that Realm of Heavens doesn't appear to be a rules option as only Order can do it, might expand that army with a secondary theme as they establish themselves in the Mortal Realms.

A few thoughts:

Hysh: Realm of Light using purified monsters. Basically an excuse to make my own non-Blood oreinted Melusai. That an it would be an excuse to scratch build a second chariot for my Luminark bits. lol

Chamon: Realm of Metal for expanded Kharadron Overlords. Was thinking of theming metal Sylvaneth, either straight iron bark trees, or have KO golems as Treelords, and deployable teleporter pads to act as Wyldwoods. Would be crazy, and verging on 40k territory, but hey.

My Death army in the works is also themed on Realm of Beasts, so focus on the monsters and such. Might go all the way and convert some Fel Bats and Bat Swarms.

• 4 weeks later...

You can take some idoneth deepkin in your mixed order based on Ulgu.
Thralls are a well rounded (2/3+/3+/-1/1 on melee & +1 attack if hitting a 1Wound model ; +1Dmg if hitting a 4+W model) battleline who can fit in your theme. They can visually match with darkriders (both actual and old metal model). Start with a couple of units and a Isharann Soulrender (if you want some healing) or a Isharann Soulscryer (if you want some positionning/charge sheaningan). 3x10 thrall + an Isharan cost 520pts and fill the minimum number of battleline for battlehost (380pts for a vanguard).

I thinking of them because they will be my next buy when I finish rebasing & repainting my old druchii ;)

Archived