Help deciding on a god to use

Lightbox

Hi Everyone,

So I've been a long time chaos player primarily using slaves to darkness alongside tzeentch arcanites though recently I've been finding playing my chaos less appealing than say my daughters of khaine or other armies. I'll be honest I've found my tzeentch quite fun with my tzaangors really adding a punch that my slaves lacked and my skyfires being able to add in some anti hero mischief. It's also allowed me to make some lovely conversions such as my fatemaster (charioteer axeman on a disc being held up by tentacles bursting from the ice) and my curseling (heavily converted geminae superior from 40k) and as much as I love these models (even if the fatemaster is pretty awful) I'm not sure whether tzeentch are necessarily the best allegiance for me or at least not sure if I should only stick with them.

As such I've been considering looking at some of the other gods as since I have StD I can pretty much mix and match really nicely. I mostly wanted to get an idea of how each god allegiance functions, for instance I know that khorne contain a lot of synergy for boosting the amount of attacks they dish out as well as their charges and have prayers to supplement but no magic whereas tzeentch give a lot more shooting than other armies get as well as quite a lot of magic and tzaangors can do a lot of swarming with attacks but are somewhat glass cannon compared to khorne or StD (though the shields help)

I'm not entirely certain how nurgle or slaanesh function however. My preferred methods generally involve melee combat but I do also quite like tricks that can be pulled and prefer to have a lot of versatility in list building being able to take various things I like instead of being shoehorned into a specific way of playing. A bit of range and magic never go amiss really but magic I can get through StD sorcerers if needbe.

Things I've found with my StD is they seem to have durability in spades, so I'd be mostly looking to add damage dealers from other alleigances. I'd ideally like to avoid khorne as although they have some brilliant synergies for melee we have 3 khorne players at our club already out of our 10 or so AoS regulars so I'd rather not have more angry skulltakers flying about XD though I suppose if I did khorne I'd focus more on the daemons to get some variety as its mostly bloodbound at the club. Also bonus points for ones that can also run small model count elite armies every now and then.

TLDR: Looking to see what sort of playstyles each allegiance provides. Also whether they need to horde it up or can run low model count.

Nurgle is almost all melee.   They seem slow but durable,  but several common options are actually fast (and still durable).  

The choices are Mortal (StD plus Rotbringers),  Daemons,  Monsters (Tamurkhan),  and Clan Pestilens.  The top models point to Nurgle keyword,  so you can probably mix and match with reckless abandon. 

1 hour ago, grungolah said:

Nurgle is almost all melee.   They seem slow but durable,  but several common options are actually fast (and still durable).  

The choices are Mortal (StD plus Rotbringers),  Daemons,  Monsters (Tamurkhan),  and Clan Pestilens.  The top models point to Nurgle keyword,  so you can probably mix and match with reckless abandon. 

I've honestly been considering picking up maggotkin because oddly for the first time in my life I seem a bit drawn to nurgle XD (Also it would be really cool to be able to convert the drycha haemadreth model I have and am not using into an insect based daemon princess) Slow and durable works for me since I often play vs khorne so durability is a big boon. Being all melee is a plus too but I know I'd have the option of the plague claw catapaults too should I need some artillery. My only concern is having looked at some of the warscrolls I'm curious as to exactly how much damage output nurgle has since StD is a bit lacking in things like rend and high damage. Blightkings look interesting for loading on attacks with their exploding 6's (though no clue if any heroes give to hit bonuses). I presume that like daughters of khaine and khorne bloodbound a lot of their strength comes from hero synergies?

6 hours ago, jazman84 said:

Slaanesh is getting a rework so should get new models and some fun fluff(er)y stuff ?

I am excited about that XD Slaanesh was my first chaos god in 40k so always holds a special place in my hear ;) Currently they play a lot like glass cannon & speedy right?

38 minutes ago, Elevenist said:

Admit it to yourself, what you actually want is KKKKHHHHOOOOOOOORRNNNEEEEE

Who doesn't want an army of screaming bear chested psychopaths? pussies, that's who!

I've gotta at least give you points for enthusiasm ;)

As I said we have looooads of khorne players already but I do own some khorne bits and my dad has loads of khorne demons I can use so I'm sure I'll end up playing them occasionally in the future.

Archived