Let's chat Stormcast Eternals

Requizen

10 minutes ago, Turragor said:

I was pondering a different chamber for a painting break for more stormcast. This could be well timed in that regard. All vanguard chamber from another chamber, my force so far> Hammers of Sigmar

I am on the same boat here... I have a Hammers of Sigmar force and with this new release I also think to make a new force with the new stuff with a new colour scheme and a new stormhost fluff-wise. 

I'm really sick of painting gold by now...

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Siegfried VII said:

I'm really sick of painting gold by now...

This is why I went with my own scheme. I'm not a fan of gold really.

My colors consist of white for main armor, steel and silver for trim, deep purple for accents and a dark leather.

Pretty happy with the look.

17 minutes ago, Vasshpit said:

This is why I went with my own scheme. I'm not a fan of gold really.

My colors consist of white for main armor, steel and silver for trim, deep purple for accents and a dark leather.

Pretty happy with the look.

Most of the times I pick my own colour scheme too, but when I got the Stormcast I thought that in my 15 years of painting I have never painted an army with gold as the main colour so I went with it.

My post though has more to do with the repetition of the same colour scheme. Even If I had chosen a different theme I would most likely still hav the same problem I have now since I would have painted the same ammount of miniatures in the same colour...

21 minutes ago, Siegfried VII said:

Most of the times I pick my own colour scheme too, but when I got the Stormcast I thought that in my 15 years of painting I have never painted an army with gold as the main colour so I went with it.

My post though has more to do with the repetition of the same colour scheme. Even If I had chosen a different theme I would most likely still hav the same problem I have now since I would have painted the same ammount of miniatures in the same colour...

Mostly this for me too. I LIKE the Hammer of Sigmar theme. I am just a bit bored of it for now. I do have my side army of Beastclaw to alleviate that pain though.

I'm new to AoS but not to the hobby. Seeing these new Stormcast has really piqued my interest in doing a force of them. 

Is it possible to build s force around an Errant Questor, the WHW Exclusive? Picked him up a few months back and painted him as a Celestial Vindicator. Had to give him a helm though. 

Also, with the new battletome, can anyone explain why the Tzeentch style is good? How does it differ from the first Stormcast battletome, which I've read?

4 minutes ago, Wraithwing said:

Also, with the new battletome, can anyone explain why the Tzeentch style is good? How does it differ from the first Stormcast battletome, which I've read?

Disciples of Tzeentch lets you approach building an army with a more interesting and fluid approach. It also adds a few bonuses for staying pure Tzeentch and not taking a mix of the best chaos units.

Stormcast so far have had no incentive to stay 'pure' stormcast. I've always played them that way though (bar the occasional battlemage) and am looking forward to seeing these bonuses.

So I've been watching some BatReps and with the results of the Masters, does anyone have insights as to dealing with Tomb Kings? Big, killy, multiwound models are pretty hard for us to deal with outside of spamming more Starsouls or potentially Dracoths, and they seem relatively fast. 

Obviously things may change with the new book, but any current insights or general strategies?

23 hours ago, Requizen said:

So I've been watching some BatReps and with the results of the Masters, does anyone have insights as to dealing with Tomb Kings? Big, killy, multiwound models are pretty hard for us to deal with outside of spamming more Starsouls or potentially Dracoths, and they seem relatively fast. 

Obviously things may change with the new book, but any current insights or general strategies?

Warrior Brotherhood.

Boring; but that's the best way. You're relying on Dropping down and Nuking a unit of Snakes and creating "No-Fly" zones with your other units and shooting off the support characters while using your flexibility to control the objectives. They have to deploy defensively and castle up to prevent your alpha strike and this is to your advantage. 

You have set up as if you're going to get the double turn but also completely wipe a unit of Snakes in the turn you drop so you don't have more grown back in your face.

If you're running a SCE list that sets up on the line you're gonna have problems as the snakes and gonna get into you; the only other piece of advise i can give is in the way you stagger your units: Liberators in front; Paladins (Protectors Behind) and Judicators in the back shooting you can phalanx forward; take the charge and nuke the rest - be really aware of the double pile in though as it can throw your whole game plan off.

Non-Drop SCE lists will really struggle. Thankfully - keep in mind that the Tomb Kings are a rarity as they're no longer supported by GW model-wise; and the resell value on Ebay and such is massive. So thankfully not everyone can bandwagon them.

4 minutes ago, Sete said:

Dudes what happened to Judicators? Wanted to buy a box and it's gone :(

They're a pretty popular kit but it is a little strange. Unless they're reboxing?

That would only make sense in a dual kit with some new release though.

I can't see them becoming unavailable.

Judicators still available on US webstore, but I wonder if we'll see a new rebox with the release. Seems really soon for one, but who knows.

2 hours ago, TDK said:

Warrior Brotherhood.

Boring; but that's the best way. You're relying on Dropping down and Nuking a unit of Snakes and creating "No-Fly" zones with your other units and shooting off the support characters while using your flexibility to control the objectives. They have to deploy defensively and castle up to prevent your alpha strike and this is to your advantage. 

You have set up as if you're going to get the double turn but also completely wipe a unit of Snakes in the turn you drop so you don't have more grown back in your face.

If you're running a SCE list that sets up on the line you're gonna have problems as the snakes and gonna get into you; the only other piece of advise i can give is in the way you stagger your units: Liberators in front; Paladins (Protectors Behind) and Judicators in the back shooting you can phalanx forward; take the charge and nuke the rest - be really aware of the double pile in though as it can throw your whole game plan off.

Non-Drop SCE lists will really struggle. Thankfully - keep in mind that the Tomb Kings are a rarity as they're no longer supported by GW model-wise; and the resell value on Ebay and such is massive. So thankfully not everyone can bandwagon them.

Seems to be the answer to most things atm. Hope the new book shakes up our builds, I can see Lightning Strike being more easily available in various ways, it's so iconic at this point. 

I haven't gotten to play against Tomb Kings yet, but they seem to be rocking out in competition and I fully expect to see some at future GTs. 

What do people think it would take for the new tome to break the stranglehold Warrior Brotherhood has on top SC lists?

It used to be so varied (ha!) with Skyborne Slayers and Warrior Brotherhood both enjoying play but nowadays its WB all the way.

Is it just a question of movement? Or is there something else about teleport deployment?

Stormcast are slow but maybe the teleport deployment lists are strong because alpha strikes (with mortal wounds - a great SC weakness) are very tough on a deployed SC line?

So what's more likely?

1. New battalions with teleportation deployment or movement (probably a neat solution - existing mechanic that won't disrupt meta too much - that's still fluffy)?

2. Mortal wound ward save (new prayers)? I personally think SC don't need this as they need some weaknesses.

3. More traditional movement options? Fast units, dare I say fast battleline (when keeping Stormcast allegiance) units?

I would not turn my nose up at 1. I would love 3.

I would like a list with battleline prosecutors or vanguard (if they move fast) backed up with some dracoths.

Battleline dracoths would even add some flavour. You can't take enough at their points cost for this to feel overpowered I don't think, it's a bit like mournfang.

Battleline prosecutors I could really get behind for a winged list. Maybe a downside to that is that the javelins are strong (and cheap). You could spend 240pts and you've no more battleline requirements...

8 hours ago, Sete said:

Went to look on AoS FB and it seems they are getting a rebound.

Maybe they're getting a duel had cross bow option like the be guys...

Maybe it's a gryph hound to aid with the gryph hound alert skill....

Maybe the first to get an optional female esque torso option....

Maybe all of the above.... or none. Heh.

Jumping back into my Stormcast, it was my first army I painted when I got into AoS and have over 3,000pts of them. Think they've got such a variety of models and abilities they can fight on all fronts. 

Have managed to source the Christmas Stormcast Battleforce from a GW that had one copy left so picking that up today. Trying to decide whether to expand my current Stormhost or start a brand new one to ally with them. Suppose continuing my current one gives me a much wider option of units to choose from.

Been playing around with lists for Heat 2 at the GT, there's obviously the Warrior Brotherhood, but was thinking of something different (maybe see what the Vanguard releases get).

What's your guys opinions on this list, not sure whether it's relying too much on the Fulminators without any Paladin Punch.

Leaders
Lord Celestant On Dracoth (220)
- General
- Tempestos Hammer & Thundershield
- Trait: Reckless
- Artefact: Quicksilver Potion
Lord Castellant (100)
- Artefact: Phoenix Stone
Knight Azyros (100)
Lord Relictor (80)

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows

Units
3 x Prosecutors with Stormcall Javelins (80)
2 x Fulminators (240)
2 x Fulminators (240)
2 x Fulminators (240)

Battalions
Vanguard Wing (100)

Total: 1980/2000

Cheers!

Chalmers

File 26-01-2017, 10 17 45.jpeg

File 26-01-2017, 10 20 51.jpeg

On 12/01/2017 at 5:37 PM, TDK said:

Therein lies the problem though; people like to create a game term it justify a perceived interpretation of the rule. It is a movement action Isn't anything in the rules, it is a categorization that's been fabricated. 

Factually counting as a Move, means yes A) you cannot move anymore and B) you must adhere to movement rules (i.e the 3" Rule.) So over complication only furthers the discussion. This leads on to the next point:

I don't think GW needs to touch it in the FAQ; it is pretty clear. In the lightning Strike rules you must adhere to Set-Up and Movement Rules.

Also; pretty sure @Ben Johnson has gone on record to say that the within 3" comment was an oversight by the author of the piece and not how he actually played the list or his interpretations of the rule. You're treading that fine line by often mistaking an article (whether Youtube, Tactica on Wiki Pages or an article on the Warhammer Community Pages) for written rules and FAQ.

That's the bigger risk of reputation, you're likely to fall down a rabbit hole citing Facebook response comments and Bar Chat with Gamesworkshop Employees as quotable rules.

Not to bang on about this again but just wanted to inform that I'm watching the following:

And at around 40 mins he mentions the TO ruling Azyro is a setup within 3 inches. At the official Grand Tourney heats just recently.

31 minutes ago, TalesOfSigmar said:

Jumping back into my Stormcast, it was my first army I painted when I got into AoS and have over 3,000pts of them. Think they've got such a variety of models and abilities they can fight on all fronts. 

Have managed to source the Christmas Stormcast Battleforce from a GW that had one copy left so picking that up today. Trying to decide whether to expand my current Stormhost or start a brand new one to ally with them. Suppose continuing my current one gives me a much wider option of units to choose from.

Been playing around with lists for Heat 2 at the GT, there's obviously the Warrior Brotherhood, but was thinking of something different (maybe see what the Vanguard releases get).

What's your guys opinions on this list, not sure whether it's relying too much on the Fulminators without any Paladin Punch.

Leaders
Lord Celestant On Dracoth (220)
- General
- Tempestos Hammer & Thundershield
- Trait: Reckless
- Artefact: Quicksilver Potion
Lord Castellant (100)
- Artefact: Phoenix Stone
Knight Azyros (100)
Lord Relictor (80)

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammers
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows

Units
2 x Fulminators (240)
2 x Fulminators (240)
2 x Fulminators (240)

Battalions
Vanguard Wing (100)

Total: 1980/2000

Cheers!

Chalmers

File 26-01-2017, 10 17 45.jpeg

File 26-01-2017, 10 20 51.jpeg

Like the look of this list. However, everything I try to work on just now falls back to 'I should take warrior brotherhood :S' and I am really hoping the new tome shakes that up! SO I'm just waiting on lists msyelf.

Can I ask the thought behind 3 x 2 Fulminators instead of 1 x 6 or 1 x 4 and maybe Tempestors?

12 minutes ago, Turragor said:

Like the look of this list. However, everything I try to work on just now falls back to 'I should take warrior brotherhood :S' and I am really hoping the new tome shakes that up! SO I'm just waiting on lists msyelf.

Can I ask the thought behind 3 x 2 Fulminators instead of 1 x 6 or 1 x 4 and maybe Tempestors?

Yeah I keep doing that in going back to Warrior Brotherhood lists. I'm hoping the new book adds some more varied battalions worth running. 

I did consider replacing one unit of tempestors even just for the -1 to hit on opponents. 

My thinking of multiple units is that it means I could attack on multiple fronts. My worry is if a unit of 4 gets pinned in place they're all being wasted. 

1 minute ago, TalesOfSigmar said:

Yeah I keep doing that in going back to Warrior Brotherhood lists. I'm hoping the new book adds some more varied battalions worth running. 

I did consider replacing one unit of tempestors even just for the -1 to hit on opponents. 

My thinking of multiple units is that it means I could attack on multiple fronts. My worry is if a unit of 4 gets pinned in place they're all being wasted. 

If you could squeeeze in the heraldor it's a little glimmer of hope in that regard.

8 minutes ago, Turragor said:

If you could squeeeze in the heraldor it's a little glimmer of hope in that regard.

That's true, always forget he can make them retreat and charge. Always just remember him from blowing up terrain haha!

I could drop either the Castellant or Azyros and include him. Might give the list a run out and see what it's like.

But like you said, it's probably wise waiting for the new Battletome to see what's what.

Archived