Let's chat Stormcast Eternals

Requizen

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 5:05 PM, robinlvalentine said:

Yeah I wondered this for all those Easy-to-Build kits, particularly because of those super detailed scenic bases they come with. Would be a clever idea to have them serve a dual purpose out of the gate. 

I think it's unlikely. The models are too similar. And it would be a lot of warbands... The Griph hound is a nice touch, but 3 castigators ? and no CC weapons... boring.  The Sequitors fit more (at least one has a mace but except the lovely barista, they have still less personality and diverse weapons than the Steelheart liberators. For the NH it's worst, the banshees are all with daggers and hard to differentiate. Same for the Stalkers, except the drummer, yet a drum is not really something to bring when dungeon hunting... But then I wonder how the warband will look like... mix units ? (not easy to use in AoS) or same unit but with different weapons (reaper with scythe, reaper with sword...) ?

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/7/2018 at 9:49 AM, kenshin620 said:

Well at least SCE have female models. Meanwhile there hasn't been any for Astra Militarum/Imperial Guard outside of a few old metal models, one of which was the overly silly female commissar. Have to rely on 3rd parties for this stuff!

To be fair, some 3rd party retailers (I'm thinking of Raging Heroes) have such great female models I don't really think of GW when getting Guard models any more.

8 hours ago, Thalassic Monstrosity said:

To be fair, some 3rd party retailers (I'm thinking of Raging Heroes) have such great female models I don't really think of GW when getting Guard models any more.

If you want oversexualized, comic-book female models, Raging Heroes is a dream come true. If you want realistic, subtle female Imperial Guard, you won't find it there.

Plus GW is releasing new Sororitas in the near future, even if Raging Heroes already released their nuns with guns. I think GW currently ignore other companies when they decide what they will release.

14 hours ago, chord said:

I have 7.   I really hope they get a points discount, or something.

They need to have their warscroll reworked from the ground up. How can they be so expensive when Dire Wolves are only 1 less wound, have an armor save and you get 5 for 60? Warning cry isn't worth that many points.

6 hours ago, Thalassic Monstrosity said:

I wonder if you'll have to specify chambers when picking your army.  It seems kind of boring if you can just make kitchen sink lists all day with an army selection almost as large as the entire Destruction faction.  I want to play a Sancrosact chamber but the other don't interest me.

I hope we don't. You can limit yourself to using Sacrosanct units if you want. But if it's imposed by the rules, you suddenly have four mini factions (Strike, Extremis, Vanguard, Sacrosanct) which hardly work by themselves.

If choosing a Chamber gives some kind of bonus but doesn't restrict unit selection 100%, I'm in.

I wonder if you'll have to specify chambers when picking your army.  It seems kind of boring if you can just make kitchen sink lists all day with an army selection almost as large as the entire Destruction faction.  I want to play a Sancrosact chamber but the other don't interest me.

I hope this is not going to happen. It would be essentially the same as splitting the faction into pieces. What I hope for is for the selection of stormhost to have some impact. Something similar to ID enclaves and DoK temples would be perfect. 

I don't see why the rules have to preclude 'kitchen sink' lists in order for you to just not build one. 

I sincerely hope they don't limit player choice, and that I can have a kitchen sink if I want one ^^

10 hours ago, Thalassic Monstrosity said:

I would be very surprised if they did this. If you think about it from a commercial perspective it would probably lead to lower sales from every Stormcast player, since you would basically have to build a new army for each chamber and all future chambers. It would also write off most if not all of the existing mixed battalions. Then there's the fact the army selection options are designed to be really broad, why would they limit how much you can mix and match Stormcast when you can mixed and match every Order faction if you want to?

3 hours ago, silentdeathz said:

I don't see why the rules have to preclude 'kitchen sink' lists in order for you to just not build one. 

I sincerely hope they don't limit player choice, and that I can have a kitchen sink if I want one ^^

Agreed I have a mix already of the chambers and I like it that way.  If they put in rules against it I would just not buy any new units. 

On 6/9/2018 at 7:26 PM, chord said:

I have 7.   I really hope they get a points discount, or something.

In case of Gryph-Hounds I can give a Information, I have seen in the Generals Handbook 2018 last week.

Gryph-Hounds will have min 6 and max 18 Modells and these 6 models will cost less points than 4 Gryphhounds now.

28 minutes ago, EMMachine said:

Gryph-Hounds will have min 6 and max 18 Modells and these 6 models will cost less points than 4 Gryphhounds now.

So no more single Gryphounds? I wonder how it will work for Lord-Veritant and Lord-Castellant.

14 minutes ago, kuroyume said:

So no more single Gryphounds? I wonder how it will work for Lord-Veritant and Lord-Castellant.

Lord Celestant and Lord Veritant as well as Excelsior Warpriest normally have a special rule, that they can set-up a single Gryph-Hound.

Lord Veritant, Bound in Service: After setting up a Lord-Veritant, you can immediately set up one Gryph-hound within 3" of the model. ...

In case of the Lord Castellant they have to update the warscroll because part of the rule (with more attacks for the gryphhound) was written on the Gryph Hound warscroll instead of the Lord Castellants Warscroll ?.

I think in the old edition they needed the min size of 1 because of reinforcement points.

1 minute ago, EMMachine said:

Lord Celestant and Lord Veritant as well as Excelsior Warpriest normally have a special rule, that they can set-up a single Gryph-Hound.

The Lord-Veritant has it, but the Castelland doesn't. I get they can easily hadd it to his warscroll.

1 minute ago, EMMachine said:

I think in the old edition they needed the min size of 1 because of reinforcement points.

Yeah, I interpreted the Veritant ability to work as a summon in Path to Glory games, but I've had some opponents contest that interpretation.

On 6/9/2018 at 1:36 AM, Freejack02 said:

I don't see why - if an ability like Staunch were a large balance concern they wouldn't have given the Leviadon a bigger one that covers 4x the area. As for native rr1s, that would impact a lot of warscrolls... not sure why they would do that when it's probably the easiest way to mechanically have a shield. 

Leviadons ability is tied to a 380 point model, it's not a command trait that can be taken by any hero model. It requires you to be wholly within, while SD is anywhere within 6".

Idoneth also have an army-wide cover bonus on the first turn, and they are very focused on charging (which causes you to lose cover for the turn), and they don't have particularly good saves to begin with so they rely on that cover bonus. 

Also worth noting is that Stormcast have mechanics that benefit from stacking save bonuses, and attacks that ignore cover have no effect on SD.

Staunch Defender is objectively too powerful, and it's not a good ability for the entire army to be balanced around.

1 hour ago, EMMachine said:

In case of Gryph-Hounds I can give a Information, I have seen in the Generals Handbook 2018 last week.

So no "point-per-model"? I had hoped in that change...

Have you seen the minimum models for Evocators (3 or 5?) and sequitors (4 or 5?)?

1 hour ago, EMMachine said:

That's great news!  Maybe now I can use them!

53 minutes ago, The Wanderer said:

@EMMachine any other tidbits you remember?

The points I actually remember:

Aetherwing -10 Points

Concussors, Desolators -20 Points

Lord Relictor +20 Points

Vanguard Raptors with Hurricane Crossbow get a little cheaper too, if I remember correctly

Ballista costs as much as 5 Liberators.

I also think that Stormhosts will work the same way as "Temples of Khaine" or "The Enclaves" with the new Battletome because on first glance I didn't saw Pitched Battle Profiles for Stormhost Battalions like "Celestial Vindicator Warrior  Chamber" etc.

35 minutes ago, Bradipo322 said:

So no "point-per-model"? I had hoped in that change...

Have you seen the minimum models for Evocators (3 or 5?) and sequitors (4 or 5?)?

Sequitors are 5 models. I know that is bad, because you need either 2 Snapfit boxes to get both units on 5 or has to buy a second 2 Player Box, so 3 units could be played.

That's anything I remember right now.

46 minutes ago, EMMachine said:

Sequitors are 5 models. I know that is bad, because you need either 2 Snapfit boxes to get both units on 5 or has to buy a second 2 Player Box, so 3 units could be played. 

So I think with some remodelling you could get three viable 5-Man Squads:

• You need three Primes with greatweapons, three regular guys with greatweapons and nine regular guys.
  • You get two Primes with greatweapons, two Primes with regular weapons, four regular guys with greatweapons and 8 regular guys.

By cutting of the plume from one of the primes with regual weapon and glueing it onto one of the regular guys with greatweapons (and if possible by switching shoulder pads, which will surely involve some cutting and greenstuffing) you could get one additional regular guy with standard weapon and one additional prime with greatweapon at the cost of one regular guy with greatweapon and one Prime with standard weapon. ?

Edit: You could also play one 10-Man Unit and one 5-Man Unit without the need for conversions: One prime with greatweapon, three regular guys with greatweapons and five regular guys with standard weapons + One prime with greatweapon, one regular guy with greatweapon and three regular guys with standard weapons.

Unfortunaltey all of this might be in vain, if they added furhter weapon options like the rumored soul stealing device, seen in the previews from warhammer fest...

Archived